PDA

View Full Version : BMt or AT

stir crazy
02-16-2010, 18:58
My 23 yr. old son and I will be doing a 14 day hike in late April or early May. We have started preparing for an AT hike from Springer to Fontana. However, I'm now starting to debate whether we should do the BMT or the AT. Here's my questions:
1. Scenery. Starting at Springer, what trail offers the better scenery for the next 180 miles? Subjective, I know. But still interested in your opinions.
2. Solitude. I guess I know the answer to this one. But I'm not just referring to other hikers. We are hammock hangers so shelters and campsites aren't quite as important. Solitude is more a feeling of being off the beaten track (although I need enough of a beaten track to not get my a** lost)

This is our first section hike. We both have experience hiking. My son hiked in Glacier National Park and I was raised in Montana and did alot of hiking in my younger years. I guess the real question is whether that first long section hike should be the BMT or the AT?

Thanks in advance for your ideas. I respect the experience and knowledge of the members on this site.

SGT Rock
02-16-2010, 19:28
If you do the BMT I suggest the 180 miles from Reliance TN to Davenport Gap. Some things you will see on the BMT:

The narrows on the Hiwassee River

The ruins at Tate Gap

The fish hatchery on the Telico River (a little off the trail)

Whigg Meadow.

The Quarry.

Beach Gap.

Lower Slickrock Falls (also a little off the BMT)

Motorcycles racing on the Dragon.

Cheoha Dam

20 mile cascade

Shuckstack Firetower (also a little off the BMT)

Hazel Creek Hilton

Old Highway 288 as the Lakeshore Trail. This includes old cars left in the Smokies from the times that the place was a community. Also a few foundations and chimneys of old settlers cabins.

The tunnel to nowhere.

The bridge over Noland Creek.

Newton Bald (not really a bald anymore though)

Cascade on Chasteen Creek.

Enloe Creek Campsite (very cool)

Balsam High tops.

Mount Sterling Ridge - great walk!

Mount Sterling and the firetower.

Big creek, and if you are lucky the kayakers.

That about sums it up. There are lots of people that can tell you what you can get if you hike the AT in the same area.

If you do Springer to Topocco you can still see a lot of this, but I really think the last 180 is better for places to visit.

stir crazy
02-16-2010, 20:05
Thanks Sgt. Rock. What is the 20 mile cascade and the tunnel to nowhere?

SGT Rock
02-16-2010, 20:10
20 mile cascade is a series of waterfalls on 20 mile creek. The tunnel to nowhere is a tunnel that was built a long time ago when they were planning to build a road from Bryson City to Fontana. They never finished the road, but the tunnel is where the BMT goes. Here are some pictures:

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=16987&catid=searchresults&searchid=30002

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=24452&catid=searchresults&searchid=30002

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=16989&catid=searchresults&searchid=30002

Ox97GaMe
02-17-2010, 01:11
The tunnel is holds one of my favorite memories in the park. I saved that as the ending point for my 900 miler patch. I walked through the tunnel and successfully completed all the trails in the park. It was a great way to celebrate an achievement.

I love the tressel bridge at the Enloe Creek campsite. I sat on that bridge on my birthday (July) one year and watched syncronized fireflies as they lit up both sides of the creek. An incredible experience.

SGT Rock
02-17-2010, 07:22
Another thing I failed to mention. If you are like me, you also love a good creek walk and don;t mind fording. There are lots of these in this 180 mile section. Lots more than you will find anywhere in the entire 250 miles of the AT that covers the same ground.

Noland Creek, Slickrock Creek, and Bald River being some of the big fords I can recall.

stir crazy
02-17-2010, 08:33
How's your BMT Guide coming along?

SGT Rock
02-17-2010, 08:36
Published and in stores. Available at Mountain Crossings, Little River Outfitter, or at www.bmtguide.com

stir crazy
02-17-2010, 09:26
Just ordered it. You got me with the creek walks. Any fishing along the route?

SGT Rock
02-17-2010, 09:36
Lots of places. Hiwasee River, Loss Creek, Coker Creek, Tellico River, Slickrock Creek, Little Tennessee, 20 Mile Creek, Eagle Creek, Noland Creek, Hazel Creek, Bald River, Brookshire Creek, Magen Branch, Oconoluftee, Enloe Creek, Straight Fork, Big Creek, and the Pigeon River. I've seen people fishing at lots of these places.

How would you like me to address you when I sign your copy?

stir crazy
02-17-2010, 09:44
Sgt. Rock, thanks for asking. This is my son's graduation present, so if you could put something to the effect: Drew, enjoy hiking the BMT with your dad this spring.

Thanks again!

SGT Rock
02-17-2010, 10:03
No problem. I'll hook that up.