PDA

View Full Version : Hike from Springer to NOC

bmwsmity
02-16-2010, 21:22
For an in-shape 29 year old guy, what kind of travel time do you think I'd be lookin at for this section? I plan on starting on the mountain, not at Amicalola...

I was thinking I could make it if I started 3/1 by end of day 3/11... is this unreasonable? If this should be easy...maybe make the extra 30mi to Fontana? (would be ecstatic if this would be possible)...

I'm not much one for making lots of stops, and I'll be hiking solo...I'm pretty business-like about my hiking LOL... and I'm a pretty lightweight packer, with water and food around 20lb pack...

Also, what kind of overnight temps should I prep for?

Thanks!

Cool AT Breeze
02-16-2010, 21:27
Its doable if you are all busness and don't get hurt. Temps at night could be single digits. Daytime temps could be in the 70s. Not likley 70s this tear but anything is posible.

Lion King
02-16-2010, 21:27
When are you going?

All the answers will depend on the start date in rality due to weather conditions.

and the way this year is going, you will more then likely get late snow. Usually see at least a bit of it even if you start in late March.

Lion King
02-16-2010, 21:28
oh, never mind...shoulda read it closer.

yeah, what he said...and you will get snowed on(75% chance--lol-) and it will be cold a lot.

bmwsmity
02-16-2010, 21:33
lol...lion king...

thanks for the input guys...

yeah, the weather in the south this year has been garbage...wondering if i'll need snowshoes? lol

single digits? just in the higher elevations?

i love winter camping...i'm generally a hot sleeper...but single digits might be a stretch considering i'll be using a hammock...hmmm

Cool AT Breeze
02-16-2010, 21:35
March 1st is less than two weeks away and right now it's 15 deg and windy. Today it got up to 28 deg. Next week, well I'll tell you next week.

bmwsmity
02-16-2010, 21:37
yeah...i suppose i'll just have to keep an eye on the weather...this winter has been aweful for my hiking and mtn biking :(

Cool AT Breeze
02-16-2010, 21:38
This time of year you should be ready to go go to the ground with your hammock.

bmwsmity
02-16-2010, 21:43
hmmm...thinking maybe the extra 3lbs to haul my tent instead would be worth the added warmth, hassle, and aching back...decisions decisions...i'm seriously jonesing for some of the AT after a long winter!

Cool AT Breeze
02-16-2010, 21:50
Your tent is heavier than your winter hammock set up.

bmwsmity
02-16-2010, 21:53
hennessey ultralight w/ super shelter...little under 4lb...i just have a basic heavy tent at about 6-7lb...

Jack Tarlin
02-16-2010, 21:54
Personally, I'd give myself a few more than 10 days to do this, but as others have said, it could certainly be done.

As for getting from Springer to Fontana in 10 days, this would be VERY fast time and would almost certainly be more miles per day than you'll enjoy; it would also include very little time off.

bmwsmity
02-16-2010, 21:56
Personally, I'd give myself a few more than 10 days to do this, but as others have said, it could certainly be done.

As for getting from Springer to Fontana in 10 days, this would be VERY fast time and would almost certainly be more miles per day than you'll enjoy; it would also include very little time off.

good point on fontana...i highly doubt it would be possible...

well, i'd be leaving morning of 3/1...and have till late afternoon 3/11...so technically its about 11 days of hiking...about 12.25mi/ day...

Hooch
02-16-2010, 22:20
A friend and I are hiking Springer to Neel Gap starting on Thursday, 11 March, both of us will be hammocking. Sleemping warm and comfy in those temps in a hammock will be doable if you're prepared. What are you using for topside and underside insulation? How about your tarp? Do you have a vapor barrier or a hammock sock?

gardenville
02-16-2010, 22:23
If your hike is from "Springer to NOC" that is 133.8 miles. Springer to Fontana Dam is about 162.2 miles.

10 days to go 134 miles more or less, yes, unless you run into some real bad weather.

Have a couple of backup plans if you have to "bale out" for bad weather. two good ones might be at Highway 76 (AT mile 66) or Highway 64 (AT mile 106.6).

If the weather is OK and you have been making some high mileage days try for Fontana Dam. That is only an average of 16.4 miles a day.

bmwsmity
02-16-2010, 22:27
A friend and I are hiking Springer to Neel Gap starting on Thursday, 11 March, both of us will be hammocking. Sleemping warm and comfy in those temps in a hammock will be doable if you're prepared. What are you using for topside and underside insulation? How about your tarp? Do you have a vapor barrier or a hammock sock?

Right now, totally unprepared LOL!

I planned on getting the super-shelter from hennessey, which is a whole system.

http://www.hennessyhammock.com/specs_undercoverandunerpad_small.html

Unfortunately due to the weather this winter, I've only been able to use my hammock once...it got down a bit below 30f... all i had was the hammock itself, a 0f synthetic sleeping bag, no pad, no undercover, just the regular rain fly... and I stayed warm enough, but could have been a bit warmer... a pad would have made a huge difference...

Hooch
02-16-2010, 22:31
Chances are that the Hennessy Super Shelter won't take you down to single digits. I use a Speer Snugfit Underquilt, Speer Top Quilt and a Speer Winter Tarp. The tarp has plenty of coverage, you can close the ends in to block wind, rain, snow, etc. Definitely research this over on Hammock Forums before you go out there and have to get off the trail because you can't sleep warm at night. Of course you can always go to ground, but who wants to do that? :rolleyes:

bmwsmity
02-16-2010, 22:31
If the weather is OK and you have been making some high mileage days try for Fontana Dam. That is only an average of 16.4 miles a day.

True true... it MIGHT be possible, and I'm going to try to plan for that possibility...if the weather its good enough..

Only reason I'd want to try for Fontana is because in the fall I hiked Fontana to Shuckstack, and I'd rather make the full connection from Springer so I dont have to make a second trip just to do the 30 or so miles...

kolokolo
02-16-2010, 22:48
Well, since you really have 11 days to hike, that's just under 15 miles per day. Definitely doable, especially since you have the added motivation of finishing this section.

The weather could have a big impact, though. If it's real snowy or real muddy, that could slow you down. If it's really cold, it could be icy, especially in the higher elevations. When I was hiking a couple of weeks ago in Virginia, I wished I had gotten a pair of crampons for the steep and icy areas.

I think you should go for it. The important thing will be to remain flexible and adjust your plans should circumstances demand it.

Have a great hike!

bmwsmity
02-16-2010, 22:54
good points...thanks for the input...

one good thing is i'm looking into getting the Hike Inn to shuttle me to Asheville, and making it to Fontana would probably keep the cost down some...

its hard for me to get a good gauge...most of my previous hiking was with my ex, who wasn't nearly in the shape i'm in... also, I've cut about 10lb off my pack weight.

i mean, i regularly do epic mountain bike rides lasting 5-6 hours in EXTREMELY rough terrain (sheltowee trace in london, ky)....so a 7-8 hour hike doesn't strike me as much more difficult...

gonna keep my options open and have a bailout plan...cant wait to see how it goes :)

Jack Tarlin
02-16-2010, 23:27
I wonder how many of the folks saying that going from Springer to Fontana in 11 days is easily doable have actually done it, especially in winter time.

And the mileage-per-day figures that have been quoted are not entirely accurate:

For example, it is indeed 164 miles from Springer to the Fontana Dam visitor center, and 164 miles divided by 11 (days) would indeed leave a figure of 14.9miles per day.

But what about time off from hiking? You'll need to re-supply. Most hikers take some time to rest in such places as Neel Gap, Helen, Hiawassee, Franklin, and the Nantahala Outdoor Center. Many overnight at these places, and this often means a later start to the following day, with abbreviated hiking time.

It'd be the rare hiker that would breeze thru ALL of these places, or even most of them, without taking some time off from hiking.

And this time off would inevitably affect one's mile-per-day average; for example losing a full day of hiking time would raise one's needed mileage per day from 14.9 to 16.4 Taking a total of two days off would raise it to 18.2

What this means is that one's daily average would probably be closer to 17 miles of hiking a day than 15, and this doesn't even take into consideration the fact that most folks don't care to start out a backpacking trip with this kind of speed. They tend to start with slower, easier days and then work their mileage up as they get stronger. But because of time constraints, this would mean that to get to Fontana on time, you'd likely be doing 20 miles a day or more, each and every day, for much of the trip. I assure you that there are days in here (like coming out of Franklin or especially coming out of the NOC that you will NOT feel like backpacking 20 miles, and anyone who tells you otherwise has, in all likelihood, never done this section).

So, no, I don't think this would be "easily doable" cuz you'd only have to average 15 miles a day. In point of fact, you may well want to start out a bit slower, and give yourself the time, if necessary, to take some shortened or abbreviated days.

In short, I really wouldn't want to do this section in 11 days; I'd either plan on getting off before Fontana, or, if possible, add a few days to your vacation.

Oh, and this assumes nice weather and comfortable trail conditions, and it'd be quite rare in early March for you to get 11 consecutive good days all in a row.

bmwsmity
02-16-2010, 23:42
jack, i appreciate your voice of reason...

i do get a little over-zealous with my estimated days of hiking sometimes ;)

i think i'll just plan on NOC....and if by some freak occurance i feel i can go to fontana, i will...

of course, missing that 30mi section would be a good reason to come back to the AT sooner rather than later... lol

Cool AT Breeze
02-17-2010, 00:09
Now you're thinking.

scope
02-17-2010, 01:12
I don't like what you're telling me so far, but that's me. You say you've been down to 30 with no under insulation, and if so, you're a freak!! Based on what you've said, the super shelter might work for you. However, based on what I've seen posted, its a fairly complex system that requires tweaking - maybe not what you want to experiment with on a trip where you've got an aggressive daily mileage goal. You might consider just getting a blue foam pad from REI to complement the SS for now, or even instead of the SS. Too bad you missed the buy on get half off sale that JRB had ending Sunday. Would've still been some dough, but that's what you need.

As far as doing 13m per day to get to NOC, no problem. You can certainly do that, but I wouldn't count on much more, not everyday for 10 days. Might get more here, not there, knowhatimean? As suggested previously, have 1 or 2 bailout points in mind. I think Fontana is probably too much of a stretch. Here's what I'd shoot for...

Day 1 - Springer to Justus Cr ~ 13m
Day 2 - to Slaughter Gap ~ 14m
Day 3 - to Poplar Stamp Gap ~ 16m
Day 4 - to Steeltrap Gap ~ 14m
Day 5 - to Plumorchard Gap ~ 14m
Day 6 - to Beech Gap ~ 16m
Day 7 - to Rock Gap ~ 16m
Day 8 - to Wayah Bald shelter ~ 15m
Day 9 - to Wesser (NOC) ~ 16m

This is fairly aggressive and leaves you an extra day, like if you get delayed leaving Springer or have to make an extended pit stop, OR if you just can't do that many miles per day over that many days, and no one is going to take your man card if that happens. To make it work, you'd have to get up early and hike late - every day. Good luck to you, and most of all, have fun!

bmwsmity
02-17-2010, 09:10
thanks scope :)

yeah, like i said, i'm a VERY warm sleeper... i'm not much into summer camping because i get so hot (part of the reason i wanted a hammock also)

i'm not sure exactly what temp it got to when i camped without anything more than a sleeping bag in the hammock.... but there was crunchy frost on the grass, so it had to be below freezing...

the only part of me that got cold was either my bum or my side, depending on how i was sleeping...i think a pad would have made a huge difference...

i'm gonna try to get some camp time in my backyard before the trip using a blue walmart pad and see how cold i can take it with just that... temps are in the teens and low twentys here now...

thanks for all the advice everyone!

bigcranky
02-17-2010, 11:20
the only part of me that got cold was either my bum or my side, depending on how i was sleeping...i think a pad would have made a huge difference...

A 3/4 length closed cell foam pad works wonders inside a hammock in cool weather. I use one in the summer -- if you can get away with it below freezing, more power to ya.

I use a Z-rest because it fits in my pack pad compartment, but a Ridgerest is easier to use in the hammock. The pad does double duty as a nice place to lay out for a nap during the day.

Chaco Taco
02-17-2010, 17:29
Finish at Stecoah and give yourself a summit to end on. Spend your last night on top, great camping and hike back south to the NOC or to Stecoah, get a ride and go where ever you need to go. Give yourself a cool ending other than the walk down to NOC. Cheoah is awesome and great camping on top and a good way to end a cool section.

bmwsmity
02-17-2010, 22:22
So the fine folks at Hike Inn told me there are massive blow downs on the trail from GA/NC line to Fontana, as well as incredibly deep snow... so looks like I'm gonna have to truncate my trip...any good ideas on a good place to end my trip?

Thinkin maybe hike to where it gets bad (GA/NC line) and turn back and end at Hiawassee to get a shuttle...

Hoping it warms up down there so the snow melts off some...

Cool AT Breeze
02-17-2010, 22:46
I haven't heard any trail condition reports from north of here.

bmwsmity
02-17-2010, 23:25
Also, now I'm thinking about starting at the approach trail trailhead instead of starting halfway up...

Since its not technically the AT, I've just kinda written off the approach trail...is this a mistake? Do most people include the approach trail?

Thanks

Cool AT Breeze
02-18-2010, 00:45
Do you want to walk up 644 steps to start your hike?

scope
02-18-2010, 00:57
Do you want to walk up 644 steps to start your hike?

Don't walk up the tourist steps that are now the initial part of the "official" approach trail that begins at the reknown archway. Instead, drive or be shuttled to the top of the falls, where the lodge is, and start there. Just an ordinary trail from there.

You might find it easier to get a shuttle to this point in the park rather than to Springer on FS rd.

Marta
02-18-2010, 08:06
The steps are no big deal, though there are a lot of them. And they give you many pretty views of the falls.

bmwsmity
02-18-2010, 10:13
my shuttle said he'll take me about 4-5 miles up the approach..i guess there's a road that goes there... which i'm thinking will cut out the steps?

bmwsmity
02-24-2010, 19:41
how's the trail looking on springer now? most of the snow melted off now? starting on 3/1...hoping things are much better than a couple weeks ago...

garlic08
02-24-2010, 20:19
My 63 year old partner and I arrived at Fontana after nine days of hiking, including a nearo in Franklin. If a couple of old farts (combined ages 112) can do it in less than eleven days, you sure can (challenge!). Best of luck, especially with weather. We hiked in April.

10-K
02-24-2010, 20:42
My 63 year old partner and I arrived at Fontana after nine days of hiking, including a nearo in Franklin. If a couple of old farts (combined ages 112) can do it in less than eleven days, you sure can (challenge!). Best of luck, especially with weather. We hiked in April.

Same here... my son and I started at Springer and on the morning of the 9th day we finished at Fontana. Includes hitches into Hiawassee and Franklin and spending the night at hotels.

10-K
02-24-2010, 20:44
my shuttle said he'll take me about 4-5 miles up the approach..i guess there's a road that goes there... which i'm thinking will cut out the steps?

Keep in mind if you skip the approach trail you'll have to hike back south almost a mile to be at the "official" southern terminus of the AT, then backtrack to where you started.

No big deal.

bmwsmity
02-24-2010, 20:47
Keep in mind if you skip the approach trail you'll have to hike back south almost a mile to be at the "official" southern terminus of the AT, then backtrack to where you started.

No big deal.

yeah i know...but he's only taking me part the way up the approach... not starting at the FS road that cuts off the first mile...

thanks for the input on making it in 9 days! hopefully the weather will cooperate...

10-K
02-24-2010, 20:56
thanks for the input on making it in 9 days! hopefully the weather will cooperate...

Yes, and I should add that this was in May and the weather was perfect. The only time it even rained was overnight when we were at the hotel in Franklin. Didn't even have to carry a wet tent. :)