PDA

View Full Version : Entry level tents

copperjohn
02-16-2010, 21:35
I am currently looking for a good reliable and durable entry level tent. I have searched for months and have not found any tents I am sold on. I am looking to stay in the $200 or less range, but will go up to around $275 if it's worth the extra money. I am a bigger guy with extra wide shoulders so anything under 24-26 inches wide will not fit. Which rules out a lot of solo tents. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good tent? I am open to any suggestions at this point. Just looking for ideas from people with experience

gunner76
02-16-2010, 21:42
Check out http://lightheartgear.com. Her new LightHeart Duo $295 will be available in April. Light weight and lots of room from the specs

Mountain Wildman
02-16-2010, 21:45
Prolite Gear and Mountain Crossings both list the Six Moon Designs Lunar Duo for $275.00 Free Shipping. I doubt you will get any negative comments on this tent. Henry Shires Tarptents are also in the same price range or less. Also good tents.
The Lunar Duo is out of stock on both sites but I'm sure that's temporary.

bigcranky
02-16-2010, 21:50
The Rainbow and Double Rainbow from Tarptent.com would be good choices. Plenty of room inside.

copperjohn
02-16-2010, 22:10
Thanks for the initial suggestions, I have been unsure about these tents but I have seen them in my searches. I do not need a super ultralight tent. I can handle the little bit of extra weight because I am 5'8" and 225 pounds. But I will definitely consider these tents. Any other suggestions out there?

wcgornto
02-16-2010, 22:15
Prolite Gear and Mountain Crossings both list the Six Moon Designs Lunar Duo for $275.00 Free Shipping. I doubt you will get any negative comments on this tent. Henry Shires Tarptents are also in the same price range or less. Also good tents.
The Lunar Duo is out of stock on both sites but I'm sure that's temporary.

You can also order Six Moon Designs products directly from www.sixmoondesigns.com

copperjohn
02-16-2010, 22:16
Does any one have suggestions for a freestanding that doesnt require the use of hiking poles to prop up the tent? I only carry one old poplar pole

BamaHiker54
02-16-2010, 22:36
Copper, I have a similar problem in that I have a beloved cedar pole that I have used on many hikes, and should I get the chance to thru-hike, I hope to take it along. So I want a good light weight tent that doesn't need the trekking poles as well. I will read the ideas comming forth.

Toolshed
02-16-2010, 22:45
Check out the Eureka Spitfire 2 (http://www.eurekatent.com/p-59-eureka-spitfire-2-tent.aspx). It is a little above entry level, but a good tent all-in-all. It isn't freestanding, though, but is lighter than freestanding and you don't need to use your hiking pole.
Also the Sierrra Designs Clip Flash (http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___27670)is a nice tent with proven durability. It sets up simliar to the Spitfire.

The SD Lightning (http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___27666)is also a great tent and freestanding. Above Entry level and at the top of your price range, but a sold performer.

Finally, a 2nd freestanding tent that is more entry level is the Kelty Gunnison (http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___27347). A little heavier than the others, but another solid performer.

Mountain Wildman
02-16-2010, 22:47
The Shires Double Rainbow can be pitched without trekking poles but it's not free standing without them.
$260.00 (40 ounces)

Big Dawg
02-16-2010, 23:24
here's a few entry level freestanding options... eureka backcountry2 (http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___24920), big agnes seedhouse2 (http://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Tent/Seedhouse2).

Bags4266
02-16-2010, 23:43
I was going to suggest Sierrra Designs Clip Flash (http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___27670)too. Well made and it will put some extra $$$ in your pocket for other things.

trailangelbronco
02-17-2010, 00:18
I have been speaking with Judy at Lightheart and will be ordering a Duo as soon as they are released. Two pounds aint bad for a two man tent.

Also,it is larger than the Lunar. 103 inches long. I carry hiking poles so it is the perfect tent for me.

skinewmexico
02-17-2010, 00:28
Tarptent Moment. Really good review on the REI Quarterdome T2 on BPL today. I use a T3 for my heavy 2 man tent. If you're a big guy, resign yourself to looking at 2 man tents. And if you don't carry trekking poles, you can order tent poles with any Tarptent or SMD tent that normally needs trekking poles. Although if you ever try them (poles), you'll wonder why you didn't use them sooner.

copperjohn
02-17-2010, 20:02
ive done some lookin at the REI quarterdome T2. its a bit more than i want to spend, i wish i didnt have to pay 5.00 to read that article too... ive also been consdering the Eurerka! Backcountry 1, the marmot twilight 2.

The more I search the more indecisive i'm becoming

Foyt20
02-17-2010, 20:21
Tarptent is my reccomendation, of course that is only because thats all I have :D

Two Tents
02-17-2010, 20:41
If ya are open to suggestions, then what about a hammock? Just askin.

copperjohn
02-17-2010, 21:46
Ive slept in a hammock before, I spent a week using one in Colorado. My back has never heard so bad. Maybe just a bad hammock I was using but I'll never go back

skinewmexico
02-17-2010, 23:12
ive done some lookin at the REI quarterdome T2. its a bit more than i want to spend, i wish i didnt have to pay 5.00 to read that article too... ive also been consdering the Eurerka! Backcountry 1, the marmot twilight 2.

I've gotten every dollar the membership at BPL costs back in savings, or knowledge. But if you like the T2, just wait, REI puts them on sale all the time, and they have a 20% off coupon about 4 times a year.

white_russian
02-18-2010, 08:35

BLP always has a forum thread that goes along with the article. It isn't the same as the article, but you can kind of figure how it goes by the thread. Sometimes the members end up pretty much discussing the whole article and you don't need to buy it.
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=29072

Anyway I love my T2

IceAge
02-18-2010, 12:29
Well here I go again like the one-trick pony I am.

Check out the Alps Mountaineering (http://www.alpsmountaineering.com)lineup, all of the features of the big-name tents (actually more, since Alps uses a polyester fly, many others do not), but at very affordable prices.

I'm going on three years with my AM Zephyr, still in great shape and I am hard on my gear.

The REI quarterdome series are another excellent choice.

300winmag
03-10-2010, 01:17
Look at the TarpTent site. They have "3-D" cutaway computer drawings of their tents and acurate measurements.

I own a Moment but had a Contrail. It's a bit wider than the Moment.

I have wide shoulders too (hence my sleeping bag is a WM Megalite) and have no width problem with the Moment.

Eric

Class2010AT
03-11-2010, 21:08
ok, I have the euraka backcountry 1, single person no thrill tent and its amazing i really can't see why you would buy anyother, unless you have 2 people or go the bivy way. Its cheap at bout 140 bucks, im 6'4 and i can sit up in it fine and sleep w/ my gear at my feet. Advertised weight is 3lbs14oz, once you get rid of all the bags you dont need and swap out for some better stakes your looking at 3lbs 2oz, i dont think anyone can beet that for anywhere close to the money. I have hiked with this tent for bout 1000 miles and slept in it one out of 4 nights while hiking and it still is in great shape. I do opt to carry a 4oz peice of tyvek for a foot print, for a total of 3lbs6oz

XCskiNYC
03-24-2010, 13:27
Well here I go again like the one-trick pony I am.

Check out the Alps Mountaineering (http://www.alpsmountaineering.com)lineup, all of the features of the big-name tents (actually more, since Alps uses a polyester fly, many others do not), but at very affordable prices.

I'm going on three years with my AM Zephyr, still in great shape and I am hard on my gear.

The REI quarterdome series are another excellent choice.

No need to be apologetic about loving the Zephyr 1. The design and build are quite good, especially at a price around $100. The downside of the Zephyr is that it weighs about a 8 to 12 ozs more than other similar-sized double-wall tents though those other tents generally sell for around $200 to $300.

Getting back to the OP, you need to consider whether you want a single-wall or double-wall tent. Double-wall are the tents with a breathable inner tent and an outer rain fly. They deal with moisture (condensation from exhalation mainly) quite well. They are also heavier at a given overall tent dimension.

Single-wall tents as the name implies consist of a single waterproof wall. Naturally, they tend to weigh quite a bit less. Take a look at the Tarptent line for example, with the Moment at 28.5 ozs or the Rainbow at 34 ozs (these include integral support poles so you don't need hiking poles to support them). OTOH, about the lightest double-wall tent is the Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1 at 2#5 ($300). There are several double wall tents with minimal/trail weights of around 2#13/3#6 such as the Quarterdome T1, the MSR Hubba, or the Marmot Eos1. These are generally in the $200 to $300 range. If you go higher up in the MSR line they have variations on the Hubba with more exotic materials, lighter weight, and higher price tags. But the MSR designs are 26 inches and you mentioned that might be a problem for you.

Anyway, the big drawback with single wall is moisture management (condensation). Having not used a single-wall tent, I can't say from experience. Posters here on WB give varying reports. The better designed single wall tents will have some kind of design feature such as vents or areas of mesh fabric that can be exposed to the outside (typically along the lower walls of the tent). So a single-wall tent will probably take a little bit more tinkering to keep dry whereas a double-wall is more set-it-and-forget-it.

The whole area of shelter is entwined with overall pack weight. Are you happy with your current pack weight? Do you want to get it lower? How much do you want to sacrifice for your shelter? The lightest single-wall tents that include poles are around 1#12. The heaviest double-wall solo would be something like the Alps Zephyr 1 at 3#12 (actual trail weight with minimal guylines and stakes).

The very lightest tent approaches are designs like the GG The One which weighs just over 16 ozs. But this tent does rely on hiking poles which you do not use. Going lighter (and less expensive) you could use a tarp and groundsheet and possibly some kind of mesh shelter to keep away insects.

skinny minnie
03-24-2010, 13:34
I think most of the brands have been covered - but I would suggest buying used.

I have had great experiences buying gear both here and on BPL, and it helped my budget a lot. Really depends on what model you go with, some are more common and are resold much more often.

Ladytrekker
03-24-2010, 14:14
I have a friend that is tall and he swears by the Eureka Backcountry it is free standing and 8 feet long, if you can carry another pound you can get the backcountry 2 which would give you width.

Graywolf
04-03-2010, 21:33
Thanks for the initial suggestions, I have been unsure about these tents but I have seen them in my searches. I do not need a super ultralight tent. I can handle the little bit of extra weight because I am 5'8" and 225 pounds. But I will definitely consider these tents. Any other suggestions out there?

hey Copper, I must say, I was in the same boat several years ago..I was VERY unsure about the tarp/tents..Then just out of a welm I bought one, then it was the original Squall..When it came in I sat it up immedieatly..I have to tell you, I was shocked..It took my doughts all away and made a believer out of me..I lost it in 2006 when I wnet hiking in the Sabine national forest in Texas when I left the campsite and came back and it was gone..But another is now onthe way..

Just because it isnt carried by a department store doent mean it isnt any good..Give it a chance..You will surprised..

Graywolf

Egads
04-03-2010, 22:40

buy a used REI, Big Agnes, or HubbaBubba tent. be patient and you'll find one in your price range

heron2000
04-05-2010, 11:16
Eureka Backcountry 1 - 3foot wide and 8 foot long. you can get them on their outlet web site for about $112 (factory 2nd) - i just got one about a month ago - really nice tent

grayfox
04-05-2010, 12:39
Copperjohn, don't know if you are sill looking but here's my 2 cents.

As an entry level tent you can't go wrong with a Eureka tent. They are well designed and durable and set up is easy. They are inexpensive. The listed weight is usually very accurate and includes everything you need except a ground sheet.

The models mentioned are both good choices. The Backcountry sets up with sleeves, which are kind of fussy to thread, but easy enough once you have set it up a few times. Sleeves are good for stability, but I like all clips for quick set up. There are no covered vestibule for gear stowage and weather protection over the door. I sewed a light piece of sil nylon onto my Backsountry 4 fly to serve as extra protection but it is not necessary. Usable interior space is good in this tent and I think you will not feel cramped or find your bag damp from touching a wall as in some low and narrow designs. Freestanding is highly over-rated-you still need to tie it down in some way so the wind does not carry it off.

The Spitfire is a great tent. The one person will be short for you but the two person would be a good choice. This tent vents very well which is a hard to find quality in a small tent. Usable interior space is good. It is easy to pitch and has good stability and weather protection. The two person has no vestibule. My one person is quite quick and easy to pitch even in the rain.

flemdawg1
04-09-2010, 12:32
I am currently looking for a good reliable and durable entry level tent. I have searched for months and have not found any tents I am sold on. I am looking to stay in the $200 or less range, but will go up to around $275 if it's worth the extra money. I am a bigger guy with extra wide shoulders so anything under 24-26 inches wide will not fit. Which rules out a lot of solo tents. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good tent? I am open to any suggestions at this point. Just looking for ideas from people with experience

A good entry level tent is the Swissgear Elite Hiker tent. I've owned one for 2 years (used a half dozen times, and besides the weight ~6lbs, I've got no complaints. I use it whenever I'm going into conditions that are too windy or cool to use my Tarptent. Except for the single entry and vestibule, I find it comparble to the MSR Hubba Hubba.

http://www.amazon.com/Swiss-Gear-Elite-Series-SwissGear/dp/B001C5ZFOS

Tamerlin
04-10-2010, 12:56
http://www.alpinlitegear.com/

Their gear is pretty inexpensive, and although they don't make actual tents, the combination of a Stratiform tarp + one of their bug shelters is similar to a double-wall tent. You can get carbon fiber poles to support it so that you don't have to rely on trekking poles.

copperjohn
04-11-2010, 14:10
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I've decided to go with the REI quarterdome T2. I can get it on sale for 20% off this week through a friend and I've been working oddjobs to get some extra money. I'll be sure to let you all know how it is after I finish all my trip in August.

bigcranky
04-11-2010, 20:45
Hey, Copperjohn, if you join REI you can get your own 20% coupon. Depending on the size of the discount, it'll more than pay for itself with the tent purchase. When you buy other gear at the regular price, you'll get about 10% back next year as a dividend (REI is a co-op), which can be a decent deal.

Not flacking for REI; we've been members since forever. I do find them annoying at times, and their local store doesn't have anywhere near the selection online, but over the years it's been a good choice.

copperjohn
04-12-2010, 20:06
yeah I've been a member for years, but I had forgotten I was a member. So I got the tent 53 dollars off with free shipping which got it down to around 210 which makes it a good deal with their 100% satisfaction guarantee.

I think this tent will do me good for quite some time until I can save up a good bit of money and in order to start my thruhikes on the AT and other trails. Then I will def. consider the tarptents and others.