PDA

View Full Version : BMT: NOBO vs. SOBO

winland
02-16-2010, 23:13
It seems most BMT trips reports and discussions involve hiking northbound. True?
Advantages and disadvantages of North-South vs. South-North?

How about just the Smoky's section -- NOBO vs SOBO?

Opinions, biases and quirks welcome.

Thanks all

Hikerhead
02-16-2010, 23:25
Starting off with that 7 mile ( I think) climb from Big Creek Campground wouldn't be fun for me....well it wasn't much fun coming down it at the end of a week either.

SGT Rock
02-16-2010, 23:45
NoBo you start on the easiest section and build up to the harder parts. You also end with 7 miles down instead of 7 miles up. A friend of mine who is a triple crowner said that first up SoBo kicked his butt. I also think the north half is the prettiest part, so you finish on that high note.

SoBo, you get a 7 mile up butt kicking to start with, then you end on the easy part.

Ox97GaMe
02-17-2010, 00:25
Yeah, the climb up Mt Sterling is one of the more difficult ascents in the Smokies. Mt Sterling is just under 6000 ft in elevation. I think the 6.2 mile climb from Big Creek gains about 4500 vertical feet. It is long and steep. Not a lot of fun.

The GA section is not bad in comparison. I believe there is only one climb that is more than 2000 ft elevation change.

Mags
02-17-2010, 16:27
I'm glad I walked DOWN Mt. Sterling and not up it. Made a quick way to end the trail going NoBo. Plus, Mt. Sterling is a great pace to have your last night on the trail.

Cuffs
02-17-2010, 16:33
Im am planning a September 2010 thru of the BMT. Ive looked at both ways and I agree, that NOBO is the way to go! My decision is based on both on ease of the hike, logistics for campsites and that I may hike with a couple other people at the beginning and need a bail out point for them...

winland
02-17-2010, 23:18
Ok, I'm convinced. NOBO is the way to go. (At least the first time!)

Thanks all

SGT Rock
02-17-2010, 23:22
Good luck, and ask if you have any other questions.