PDA

View Full Version : Where should family hike on AT?

sweaty yetti
02-17-2010, 00:35
I'm starting my NB thru hike in mid March and my brother and bro-in-law are looking to meet me on the trail and hike for a week or two in june or july. Where would be a good spot for them to do that? I'm thinking somewhere not too difficult and scenic. Thanks

emerald
02-17-2010, 00:38
Have them meet you at Harpers Ferry and hike to Duncannon or Port Clinton.

rpenczek
02-17-2010, 08:58
60 miles south of TN/VA boarder to 60 miles North of the TA/VA boarder.

Roan Highlands/Grayson Highlands, SWEET.

SGT Rock
02-17-2010, 09:06
I'm starting my NB thru hike in mid March and my brother and bro-in-law are looking to meet me on the trail and hike for a week or two in june or july. Where would be a good spot for them to do that? I'm thinking somewhere not too difficult and scenic. Thanks

Be flexible, don't lock into an exact place this far out. You don't know how fast you will be walking or exactly how far you will get by then. You also don't know how much different your speed and miles per day will be from theirs by the time they join you.

Tinker
02-17-2010, 11:06
Let's see, you're 20 years old and leaving in March.
Unless you spend lots of time in town (or zero days elsewhere), you will probably be in Vermont or New Hampshire by then. Southern New Hampshire isn't that difficult nor is anything south of there (except the stretch between the Long Trail and Hanover, which is mainly PUDs - this is one place I would not like to invite someone to hike with me.

SGT Rock
02-17-2010, 11:14
That is sort of what I was thinking.

You may also want to take a vacation from hiking. Go to the beach for a week or two.

Jack Tarlin
02-17-2010, 17:32
Since you're talking June or July, I'd think about Shenandoah National Park.

*It's easy to get to
*It's very scenic
*The hiking is easy and won't kill any of your friends or relatives
*Tons of wildlife
*Plenty of places to leave a vehicle
*Lots of places to camp, resupply, shower, get a meal, etc.
*People can car camp if they don't want to "rough it
*You're always close to a road in case anyone needs to bail out, road-walk a
bit, stop hiking, etc.

If you're starting a Northbound hike in mid March, you should be in Waynesboro VA (i.e. the south end of SNP) in early June.

max patch
02-17-2010, 18:08
My wife met me at SNP on my thru. Hiked 3 easy 8ish mile days and then off to DC for 3 days R&R. Nice little vacation.