PDA

View Full Version : How do you pick the right boot

Sherpa
09-27-2004, 09:28
Ok, I'm sure there have been similar posts to this and if so I'm sorry and I will be happy to receive a link to that post.

As you may guess from my earlier post "Boot recommendations for weak ankles” my wife and I are about ready to make a big investment in our first real boots. How do you make that choice with so many out there and then there is the internet also without any hands on? I mean, boots aren't like cars, you can't test drive them. How would you like to try and buy a car with only one lap around a parting lot?

First, can someone point me to a good location for boot reviews? I would really hate to start a long discussion with so many seasoned vets for their boot recommendations (or maybe I would it might be fun).

Second, what do you look for in a boot beside basic comfort and fit? Let me preface that question that we may not do a thru hike and only do 2 to 3 week sections. I will probably be humping 40-pounds, she 20 to 25.

Thanks

SGT Rock
09-27-2004, 09:33
I would highly reccomend going to a god outfitters that can let you try out different bots in the store and maybe even let you wear a backpack with some rope or something in it when you fit. Reviews can be so subjective about footwear that I wouldn't know if I could trust them.

tlbj6142
09-27-2004, 09:37
A few pointers...

0) Buy your boots from a store that has good return policy, even if it means paying a bit more. If they won't let you wear the boots "around town" or even on the trail for a week, or so, go somewhere else. NOTE: Both REI and LL Bean have unlimited/lifetime return polices even on boots.
1) Buy your boots in the evening when your feet more swollen.
2) Bring the socks you plan to wear when hiking.
3) Do you need an insert? If so, use it when trying on your boots.
4) Try on boots up to a full size larger than your street shoe size.
5) Plan to try on at least 4-8 pairs. Even if the first pair feels "perfect".

Good luck.

anneandbenhike
09-27-2004, 09:44
If they feel good on your feet in the store, then they will probably feel good later. If there are ANY spots on the boots that do not feel right on your feet in the store, DO NOT buy the boots. Amen to whomever said to try on lots of pairs. Try on every brand and style that the store has and then go to another store and try on some more. This is a big ($100-$200) investment. You want it to be right. Do not hurry on this decision. Walk around your house all day if the store doesn't allow you to wear them outside and then return them. Don't give up!!

NotYet
09-27-2004, 09:46
I wouldn't buy boots without trying them on, unless you're already very familiar with how the the make and model has fit you in the past.

Good outdoor stores have people who will spend a lot of time with you to help you get the right fit...just because a boot has a good reputation and good quality doesn't mean it'll fit your foot well. Take your time. Try on many types of boots/shoes, try them on with the socks you plan to hike in, and try them on later in the day when your feet are more swollen. Kick your toes against a wall or the floor to make sure your toes don't ram into the end (important for long downhills). I like to wear the boots around the store as long as possible! Many stores will let you purchase them, take them home and wear them around your home to get a better feel. This way you can spend several hours in them, and so long as you don't get them dirty, you can take them back.

Some larger outfits, like REI even have rentals that you might try out on a hike before you make a purchase.

p.s. Don't be afraid to go with a lighter boot than the sales people recommend. Often, they think that "heavy" means better support, but heavy boots can really wear on your knees. Today's technology offers many lighter options!

art to linda
09-27-2004, 09:58
the place that I bought mine also had an incline board that I spent quite a bit of time going up and down on.....found some that felt fine on a flat surface did not work as well when foot shifted. Also check out the different ways of lacing boots to provide extra support. If you haven't checked this site out it may give you some helpfull information http://www.backpacker.com/gear/footwear/step1/0,5201,,00.html

Alligator
09-27-2004, 10:10
Yellow Jacket is right on the money. Wearing your pack as Rock says is a great idea too! I also had my boots fit in a store that had a ramp for testing downhill conditions.

Take a day hike and then head straight to the store. Also, bring in the old hiking shoes/boots. A good bootfitter will use these to reference wear patterns.

TREE-HUGGER
09-27-2004, 10:21
I have learned that brand makes no difference and that fit is everything. Just go for quality. You know quality when you see it. Every boot is made from a last/pattern. And the question is..... how close did this particular last come to the shape of your particular foot. The short story is... your boots need to be long enough so that the laces are actually holding your feet back when you are going down hill and your toes dont get crammed into the end of your boot. And the toe box needs to have enough room so that when your feet swell they wont rub and cause blisters on various parts of your feet. It's a fine line on a great fit and too big can cause almost the same problems. The trick is to be relentless in your search and try on lots of boots. When you drop your foot off into a boot that fits you will know it the instant you stand up.

chris
09-27-2004, 15:36
If you want a good fitting boot, don't buy one. Instead, buy a pair of trail runners. The idea that boots are good for those with weak ankles is not, I assert, backed up by reality. For example, put your feet in the boot. If you can move your ankles around, from side to side, then they really won't help much for ankle protection. Look at the construction of the boot in the ankle area. If it is mostly fabric and padding, then try to imagine how well it willl protect you ankles if you, with your pack, begin to topple over. If you buy a pair of stiff mountaineering boots, then they will probably protect your ankles fairly well, however. These would be very inappropriate for something like the AT, although I have seen AT hikers in Sportiva Makalus. You might get some moderate ankle protection from heavy duty boots, but not from the light ones that would be good for the AT.

So, why go for boots? The advantages of boots, as I see them, are few, but important. First, your feet are more protected. When you kick a rock, wedge your foot between roots, have to walk over rocky ground, etc, you have a lot more protection in boots than in runners. When wearing runners, you learn quickly to pay attention to where your feet go. Next, boots, in general, have a better lug pattern on them, adding up to usually better traction than runners. This isn't always the case, and I have found some runners with exceptional traction. Third, boots are better when there is snow out. If you think you might start in March, or even in early April, the chances are good that you will get hit with some snow. If you have a pair of quality leather boots, and you have sealed them and waterproofed them, you might keep your feet dry for a couple of days of snow hiking. Even if they wet out, your feet will be warmer, in general, than if you are in runners.

The advantages of runners are far more numerous, I believe. First, they are light. This means less effort per step. While you might not notice this effort over, say, 10 miles, you will over 15. Once you get over 20, boots begin to become prohibitive, although one of the strongest hikers this summer, Rock Steady, was in a pair of Sportivas. He usually hiked further, faster, and longer than I did, and the only reason I stayed around him was that he stopped in towns for resupply more frequently than I did. So, boots certainly won't keep you from cruising.

Second, there is no break in time for runners. You buy them, and they are ready to go. Thirdly, they are generally easier on your feet. Since switching to runners 3 seasons ago, I have had something like 2 blisters. That is with around 6000 miles of hiking. The exception here is with the bottoms of your feet, which can suffer if you have to do alot of walking on rocky terrain and you have runners without solid soles. I have never had so much as a twinge of pain in my ankles. Fourthly, runners, with their low ankles, look alot sexier, particularly if you wear low socks.

Simrose
09-27-2004, 16:46
I'm glad to see this thread go up today. I went to the local outfitters this weekend and tried on every hiking shoe they had. However, that was after much struggle over the fact that I did not want boots, I wanted shoes and both sales people ganged up on me against this. Then they pretty much refused to fit me larger than my shoe size because "there's no way your feet will spread 1/2 or full size". I have talked to many helpful people at this store before, but this weekend I was so frustrated I felt like he thought I was just some dumb girl who's going to go walk in the woods for a day and come home. Grrrr .... I'm sorry, I just needed to vent and it's nice to see that people still concure that your feet can spread!

ANYWAYS ... someone mentioned supports. My understanding is that you may need supports if you have high arches. I have never had my feet ... um, "assessed"? ... how do I know if I have high arches? How high is high? Will an REI store be able to help me with this? (have never been to one but am planning a cross-state trip to check it out soon)

Thanks!

chris
09-27-2004, 17:10
The REI stores that I have been to have been worthless in terms of getting technical help. In fact, I've found most outdoor stores to be fairly worthless with help, so it may not be just REI. Most stores seem to be the equivalen of Backpacker magazine, although the MEC in Vancouver and Calgary are both excellent, as is Atlas in Van. Of course, this does most people here absolutely no good.

If you've been hiking for a while without inserts, you probably have low arches. Personally, I would just buy a pair of regular sized runners (Asics TR1090s or Gel Trabucos or Brooks Trespass) and a set of green Superfeet and call it good. Skip the stores and their shiny, not needed, overpriced gear.

boomerang
09-27-2004, 17:26
I also vote for something other than boots. Two weeks ago I backpacked in my Lowa Tempest Low's (low-top hikers) for the first time (previously just for day hiking). The hike was Coosa Backcountry Trail, next to Blood Mtn. in GA, so it was fairly representative of the start of the AT. The Lowa's weigh less less than half of what my Asolo boots weigh. The difference was unbelievable! After a mile or two, I was not overly concerned with "ankle support" or "turning" or other typical non-boot worries. Instead, I was smiling at how comparatively effortless my hike was. I was practically skipping up the mountain. Also, there was not even the hint of a blister or hotspot on my feet. It was great!

I can't wait to make the next move to trail runners, which should again divide my "foot weight" in half.

my two cents,
dave

kentucky
09-27-2004, 17:40
I used nikes acg this year and found them just great I was packing around 40 pounds! And can say that It was some of the hardest hiking I have ever done thrue the years!,great grip support around ankles and when wet dried very fast just loved them!your dogs are every thing! kentucky:banana

SGT Rock
09-27-2004, 19:07
I'm glad to see this thread go up today. I went to the local outfitters this weekend and tried on every hiking shoe they had. However, that was after much struggle over the fact that I did not want boots, I wanted shoes and both sales people ganged up on me against this. Then they pretty much refused to fit me larger than my shoe size because "there's no way your feet will spread 1/2 or full size". I have talked to many helpful people at this store before, but this weekend I was so frustrated I felt like he thought I was just some dumb girl who's going to go walk in the woods for a day and come home. Grrrr .... I'm sorry, I just needed to vent and it's nice to see that people still concure that your feet can spread!

ANYWAYS ... someone mentioned supports. My understanding is that you may need supports if you have high arches. I have never had my feet ... um, "assessed"? ... how do I know if I have high arches? How high is high? Will an REI store be able to help me with this? (have never been to one but am planning a cross-state trip to check it out soon)

Thanks!

Don't go back there!

I have high arches. they were diagnosed a long, long time ago and they almost kept me out of the Army. I also have always been very prone to twisting my ankles. The standard back in the day was I needed arch support inserts and good boots with ankle supports to hike, truth is that made things worse.

I now just hike in the same running shoes I use for PT at work. I have hundreds of miles on these things and love it. If you go to a good store that sells running shoes, they will probably fit you for cushion sole running shoes and get you set with that extra 1/2 size. Just pick a tred pattern you can live with.

fantasmagris
09-27-2004, 19:57
Yeah, another exerienced hiker checking in to cast a vote for shoes. I was the most stubborn convert of all. Persisted in boots way too long. Finally after numerous people encouraged me to to try trail shoes I did two distance hikes in em carrying my boots in my pack - the boots never came out. Ironically, my novice hiker wife figured it out way before me. And I hike the rockiest places of all (NH's Whites) in trail shoes. Just make sure of two things: (i) if you're hiking over rocks get trail runners or trail shoes with some underfoot protection; and (ii) get them just a little bigger, particularly in the forefoot, than you would for street shoes cause your feet will swell a little. I also like the Superfeet inserts in my trail runners as it gives a extra does of underfoot protection from rocks. A good trail runner to start with is the New Balance 700 series comes in multiple widths too. I wear a 9.5 D street shoes but use a 10.0 EE for hiking. Something to consider, you can probably get a pair of NB 706 from Cabelas for $60 or so new, but good boots cost $150+. It's a much more costly experiment to go from boots to shoes.... Good luck!

Jersey Bob
09-27-2004, 20:04
at least 10 characters

tlbj6142
09-27-2004, 21:15
Fourthly, runners, with their low ankles, look alot sexier, particularly if you wear low socks.Now there is a reason to buy trail runners. And I thought the hot French Canadian women were staring at my spandex shorts a few weeks ago in Maine. Guess it must have been my ankles.;)

highway
09-28-2004, 08:16
I would like to vote alongside the previous few who suggest you consider a more enlightened way and don't go for the heavy or even hybrid boots.

Based on my own experience with my screwed-up feet, I have found the "weak ankle syndrome" to be only just another myth, doing much more harm than good, for if anyone qualifies for having them, then I sure do. I went the heavy boot route, then switched to the lighter hybrids and then on to shoes and/or sandals. I actually prefer the sandals for backpacking and my Nike Air wallowas with the Vibrum tread for PT.

But all feet are unique. Yours are like no one elses here. Whatever works for anyone here may (or may not) work for you. But at least consider the lighter route and disregard any unfounded "weak ankle fears". You may discover they aren't as "weak" as you thought :-?

SGT Rock
09-28-2004, 09:10
Just a thought: if you have bad ankles and are having problems getting the "right boot" because you need ankle support - get an ankle brace from Wal-Mart to wear in addition to the running shoes if and wen you really think you need it, otherwise try hikig without the brace and see how much you might not need all the bracing you think you do.

On the other hand, some folks like boots, so don't feel you HAVE to start out in shoes.

chknfngrs
09-28-2004, 09:33
OK. I hike in New Balance 806's and love them. Lightweight, dries fast, cheaper than boots.

But what might be right for me, may not be right for some. In my opinion, you need to educate yourself in the best way possible. And if it means seeking help from an outdoor store like REI, go. At least you get to see the product you're interested in, touch it, try it on, etc. before you drop mad cash on it.

True, sometimes you have to wade through lousy pitches from inexperienced folks, but the real idea here is to get the shoe on your foot. Most REI's I've been to actually size your foot for you with this sweet metal scale.