PDA

View Full Version : 55 year old male planning on thru-hiking start early march 2010

dufuss06
02-17-2010, 12:12
Might be interested in a hiking partner, wanting to start at Springer early march. Male or female. just looking for maybe hiking partner nothing else. I am in Michigan now, but will be heading to Augusta, Ga. next Monday and finishing up my arrangements. I intend to try to do the whole trail but am open to taking a break for a short period if needed.

BrianLe
02-17-2010, 14:15
At the risk of repeating something you've already encountered elsewhere here ... it seems to me that you would be better off starting alone. Lots of people are starting around the time that you are, and the best trail partnerships are the ones that start on the trail. Connecting ahead of time with a stranger doesn't offer a super good chance that you would both have sufficiently similar hiking pace and overall style/approach.

As you encounter folks on the trail, you can much more casually walk with them for a while, and if it turns out you both/all find yourselves compatible then ... just keep walking together. I suspect that few on-trail formed partnerships ever formally say to each other "let's start walking together and stay together for X hundred miles". Instead they just sort of informally find themselves together, with no commitment. And if something separates you on the trail, you might see them again down the trail or you might not. With the right mental approach this really does work out well.

dufuss06
02-18-2010, 14:07
Thanks Gadget, Very sound advice. Wasn't sure how to approach this.

Kerosene
02-18-2010, 14:16
I concur. Hiking partnerships tend to wax and wane depending on personalities, hiking styles, logistics, shelter use, snoring, injuries, etc. There are enough people out there that you'll hook up with someone in due course. Of course, you may also find that you quite like hiking alone!

expat2005
02-18-2010, 19:12
I'm a 2010 AT thru hiker living in Augusta, GA - just curious - what brings you to Augusta in Feb for a mid-March thru hike???

WILLIAM HAYES
02-18-2010, 19:16
expat I was going to ask the same question
Hillbilly
Aiken,South Carolina

dufuss06
02-19-2010, 11:32
That is an easy one. My parents live in Jackson, SC and my sister lives in Augusta. Will visit then getting a ride to trail.

DapperD
02-19-2010, 13:32
At the risk of repeating something you've already encountered elsewhere here ... it seems to me that you would be better off starting alone. Lots of people are starting around the time that you are, and the best trail partnerships are the ones that start on the trail. Connecting ahead of time with a stranger doesn't offer a super good chance that you would both have sufficiently similar hiking pace and overall style/approach.

As you encounter folks on the trail, you can much more casually walk with them for a while, and if it turns out you both/all find yourselves compatible then ... just keep walking together. I suspect that few on-trail formed partnerships ever formally say to each other "let's start walking together and stay together for X hundred miles". Instead they just sort of informally find themselves together, with no commitment. And if something separates you on the trail, you might see them again down the trail or you might not. With the right mental approach this really does work out well.This to me really is the best approach. There are so many different variables involved in finding a suitable hiking partner for a long distance trek that it is really a longshot when ones stops to give it some thought that without actually having met a potential partner and having at least completed a few shakedown hikes with that person, there really is no way to tell wether it will work out. And not only is synchronizing one's hiking style and abilities the issue, but one's compatibility is also very much an ingredient in wether or not a successful hiking partnership will develope. Now, as other's have said, if it gets one out onto the trail by finding a potential partner online in order to begin their hike, then it can be worthwhile, but one still needs to understand that the partnership may or may not pan out, and they need to be sure they have the ability and their own gear to continue solo if the need arises.

Gator 65
02-20-2010, 07:54
I could not agree more with Kerosene. You will meet and hike with multiple hikers and cross paths many times on the trail. It is very difficult to start AND finish with anyone person unless both have been hiking together for an extended period of time prior to the thru Hike and that includes married couples. I know of two married couples who would routinely "seperate" on the trail for various reasons and hook up again 2-3 days later. I met people on Easter Sunday in a shelter in the Smokies and after crossing paths with them several times over the next few months we all summited on the same day. Believe me, if you make to Damascus you will make it all the way. It becomes very social on the trail. (zero days in town together, meeting your hiker friends family, etc., etc.,). Fear not my friend, you will enjoy the hike!

dufuss06
02-25-2010, 00:23
Arrived Augusta today, met a young couple at Greyhound terminal in Atlanta going on trail today. Planning start around beginning of 2nd week.

gipcgirl
02-25-2010, 03:12
Might be interested in a hiking partner, wanting to start at Springer early march. Male or female. just looking for maybe hiking partner nothing else. I am in Michigan now, but will be heading to Augusta, Ga. next Monday and finishing up my arrangements. I intend to try to do the whole trail but am open to taking a break for a short period if needed.

I'm starting 19th March doing approach trail, maybe we will see each on the trail.
Happy Hiker:welcome