PDA

View Full Version : Does Platypus still offer a lifetime warranty?

Nuthatch
02-17-2010, 12:12
My 3l platy has developed a leak. Was about to toss it when I remembered that they are supposed to have a lifetime warranty and that Casdace Designs cheerfully will replace any unit that leaks.

However their website no longer states this.

I do have an outfitter nearby but don't want to go in trying to get sometime I'm not entitled to.

Anyone know?

climber2377
02-17-2010, 12:19
see if this helps... http://www.cascadedesigns.com/Service/Warranty-and-Repair

Nuthatch
02-17-2010, 12:27
see if this helps... http://www.cascadedesigns.com/Service/Warranty-and-RepairRight, I read that. The problem is that the bladder is not new, and whatever pinhole leak it has could be argued to be "Normal wear, abrasion" which are specifically NOT covered under warranty. I've taken good care of it, it should not be leaking, but, it's not brand new.

Like I said, not trying to get something for nothing, but I do recall with my last one, the outfitter told me that the manufacturer cheerfully replaces any bladder that leaks, no matter the reason, no questions asked. They just took a new one off the display rack and handed it to me. Awesome.

I dont want the hassle of having to ship it to Seattle then argue about whether it's covered under warranty or not...

Bags4266
02-17-2010, 13:23
Just send them an e-mail, its like chicken soup... it can't hurt!

unclemjm
02-17-2010, 13:26
its like chicken soup... it can't hurt!

I love that punch line. Thanks for reminding me of it. :)

dabjrnl
02-17-2010, 13:38
I had my 3L Platy replaced last fall. I called first to be certain they would replace it and there were no issues. I had to send my original back to Seattle. I did notice that the new bladder does not offer the lifetime guarantee like the old one did.

tzbrown
02-17-2010, 14:46
I have had about 4 platys replaced.

I only had them done when the leak was at the area between the bag and the bonded in opening part.

If it is leaking in the side of the bag I would not ask them to replace it.

wrongway_08
02-17-2010, 15:26
Just use the glueless patches meant for bike tubes - they will seal platypus and the Camelback bladders.

Cost is like $3.50 for 5 patches and they work great - I fixed mine and have not had any more leaks for over a year. Mine was leaking by the cap, on the seam.

Better then tossing that one in the landfill, even if you get a free one.

I think too many people abused the warranty ..... surprize ..... not really.

Nuthatch
02-17-2010, 15:59
Just tried to find a replacement 3L bladder online - can't.

All I can find is the whole hydration kit. I already have the tube and bite valve, don't need that, just the bladder itself. Anyone know where I can get one?

Nuthatch
02-17-2010, 16:09
Just use the glueless patches meant for bike tubes - they will seal platypus and the Camelback bladders. It's leaking right up at the neck - won't work. But thanks for the hint for other types of bladder leaks.

RedneckRye
02-17-2010, 17:13
I don't think they have made the 3 liter bottle in a couple of years.

Shoot cascade designs an e-mail or call them.

1-800-531-9531
or
[email protected]

wrongway_08
02-17-2010, 17:25
It's leaking right up at the neck - won't work. But thanks for the hint for other types of bladder leaks.

Thats were mine was leaking. Fixed it. Its the clear glueless patch kits. Get them at Race Pace Bikes. Might be closer to $4.00 bucks. Little 1" x 1" case.

Guess it might depend on how big a hole.

dabjrnl
02-17-2010, 18:06
The newer style 3L they sent as a replacement has a different connection scheme compared to the older ones. The new bladder has a "port" that the hose connects into. It does not screw onto threads anymore. You'd need the hose with the new port adapter to go onto the new bladder.

Nuthatch
02-17-2010, 19:00
The newer style 3L they sent as a replacement has a different connection scheme compared to the older ones. The new bladder has a "port" that the hose connects into. It does not screw onto threads anymore. You'd need the hose with the new port adapter to go onto the new bladder.Bummer.

Do they also provide a plain cap for when you want to use the bladder as a bottle instead of a hydration system? The old ones like mine I was able to just use an old plastic soda bottle cap...that was handy.

JERMM
02-17-2010, 19:18
Bummer.

Do they also provide a plain cap for when you want to use the bladder as a bottle instead of a hydration system? The old ones like mine I was able to just use an old plastic soda bottle cap...that was handy.

Nuthatch, why don't you go online and find out, it would be faster than waiting for someone else to research for you
http://cascadedesigns.com/platypus/hands-free-hydration/hoser/product

Nuthatch
02-17-2010, 19:53
Nuthatch, why don't you go online and find out, it would be faster than waiting for someone else to research for you
http://cascadedesigns.com/platypus/hands-free-hydration/hoser/productSure but it doesnt say if there is a cap with it.

Blissful
02-17-2010, 20:07
I sent mine back and got a replacement.

JERMM
02-17-2010, 20:16
Sure but it doesnt say if there is a cap with it.

so contact Cascade Designs direct

Nuthatch
02-18-2010, 01:40
so contact Cascade Designs directThis forum is for discussing gear. That's what we're doing. If you're not interested in this discussion, there are plenty of other threads on WB for you to contribute to.

dabjrnl
02-18-2010, 13:14
Nuthatch,

My new Platy they sent is the "wide mouth" version. Looking at it, I don't think you can use it like a bottle. You wouldn't be able to screw a cap onto it. It also doesn't free-flow. The port slams shut without the hose attached. It actually worked out nicely on the trail because you could leave the hose in your pack and fill the bladder remotely at the water source. No need to thread and re-thread the hose. They also added a light plastic piece at the top for the wide mouth that acts as a handle and zip-lock. Makes it much easier to carry and also close.

Nuthatch
02-18-2010, 14:13
Nuthatch,

My new Platy they sent is the "wide mouth" version. Looking at it, I don't think you can use it like a bottle. You wouldn't be able to screw a cap onto it. It also doesn't free-flow. The port slams shut without the hose attached. It actually worked out nicely on the trail because you could leave the hose in your pack and fill the bladder remotely at the water source. No need to thread and re-thread the hose. They also added a light plastic piece at the top for the wide mouth that acts as a handle and zip-lock. Makes it much easier to carry and also close.Sounds like a good hydration system, but maybe just a tad too much "bells and whistles" for me. I need a simple, very lightweight bladder that is part of a hydration system in my pack during the day, then becomes a water jug in the evening. Needs to be easy to either drink from or pour from.

The one I have is perfect, except for the leak of course.

I have decided to replace it. If the pinhole leak really is a result of normal wear and tear then its not worth risking it developing another one on my upcoming hike and soaking my pack contents.

Still no luck finding one online...I'll keep looking.

JERMM
02-18-2010, 15:36
This forum is for discussing gear. That's what we're doing. If you're not interested in this discussion, there are plenty of other threads on WB for you to contribute to.

Nuthatch- you asked if anyone knew if Cascade Designs has a lifetime warranty. We are not representatives of the company and can not give you a definite yes or no, so why not do as other have suggested, email or call CD direct then you will have your answer, problem solved. And you can ask about the cap too.

Once you get your answer then come back to WB and report your findings so others will know.

Nuthatch
02-18-2010, 23:48
My local outfitter is ordering me a new bladder. They don't make the 2.5l anymore, so I went with the 2l.

Didn't try for any type of warranty replacement, the leak probably is from it just being a few years old.

Just FYI, Platypus does have some cool new bottles out, I was able to look at the retailers catalog. They have a neat new line of wine bags too.

Sadly, they seem to have discontinued the "Little Nipper". Darn, I wanted one of those too...