PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping bag ratings ~ what did YOU use?

Sassafras Lass
02-17-2010, 12:27
Hi everyone :) My husband and I are doing GA-ME March '11, and are trying to wrap our heads around the expansive and expensive amount of gear that we need. Right now we're digesting sleeping bags.

We only have the funds for 1 sleeping bag, so that's what we're working with. We originally were thinking of going with a 30F bag, but it occured to us that when we went camping a month or so ago, here in lower Michigan, it dropped to about 7 degrees in our current cheap 30F bags and we were frigid. We had on Carhartt coats, thermals, etc., and it still made for a very chilly, draining night. Since we aren't bringing thermals (per se) and Carhartt coats on the AT, then we need to adjust our thinking.

It seems that everyone and their grandmother buys 2 bags for their trip - something in the 0-10F range, and a 40F bag for the middle of their hike. Since we simply cannot afford to do this, we're inclined to pick a 20F and plan on being toasty in March-May and uncomfortably warm the rest of the trip. It's not a big deal, we can always unzip the thing or just sleep on it in oppressive heat.

What do you guys think? What rating did you bring and how did it fare for you?

bigcranky
02-17-2010, 12:38
You won't be oppressively warm in a 20-F bag in the summer if you just drape it over yourself as a quilt. This works better in a tent than in a shelter, of course, since otherwise you'd be eaten alive.

If you only want one bag, then a 15-20F model is a good choice.

Sassafras Lass
02-17-2010, 12:48
[QUOTE=bigcranky;972292]This works better in a tent than in a shelter, of course, since otherwise you'd be eaten alive.[QUOTE]

Yes, should have mentioned we're getting the TarpTent Cloudburst 2, and will be using it as much as possible; even stealth camping if it comes down to it.

Odd Man Out
02-17-2010, 14:47
I am also shopping for a hike (date to be determined) and have the same questions (and also from SW MI!).

I wondered what bag rating would be best for a single-bag trip.

I was thinking about getting a lighter weight bag and a liner to go with that. Use both for max warmth. Only the bag if it gets too warm, and only the liner when it's really hot.

Has anyone used this strategy? And if so, what bag rating and liner would be best?

Jester2000
02-17-2010, 14:52
I have never switched out bags on any of my trips. I have always used a 15 degree bag. If you go this route, make sure your bag has a full zip so you can (as previously mentioned) unzip it and use as a quilt. When it gets really hot, I just sleep on top of it.

skinewmexico
02-17-2010, 15:01
If you can barely sew, you can make a 40 quilt for summer, for next to nothing. Takes a couple of hours. Otherwise, I like the 20 degree comments. You can always do things to make it warmer or cooler.

The_Saint
02-17-2010, 16:00
I thrued in 2009 and used one bag the entire time, Western Mountaineering Caribou. I started in mid April and ended early October. Good luck, I'm jealous!

Sassafras Lass
02-17-2010, 17:07
Yes, I checked out the Western Mountaineering website and I was very pleasantly surprised! That's exactly what I wanted, a Made in USA product. These days it's nearly impossible to find American made products so this is great; I'd already resigned myself to buying something Chinese made.

I'm thinking of going with their Ultralite http://www.westernmountaineering.com/index.cfm?section=Products&page=Sleeping%20Bags&cat=ExtremeLite%20Series&ContentId=17 Just shy of 2 lbs, rated 20F, and made in the USA - can't get any better than that. I don't mind paying for quality and I'll happily give my money to American workers.

Anyone use the Ultralite or Western Mountaineering in general? Any compliments, complaints, etc.?

Sassafras Lass
02-17-2010, 17:10
@ Saint: Were there any hardships with a 35F bag? When did you start? We're starting mid-March. Did it keep you sufficiently warm? Going with a 20F is what steered us away from Marmot.

bigcranky
02-17-2010, 17:16
Saint started mid-April. Big difference in the weather.

The Ultralite is a slim cut mummy. My wife fit, I did not. WM makes a larger version for people my size. (Not saying you need that, just info for others reading this thread.) WM makes great bags -- I have an Antelope and a Megalite.

Sassafras Lass
02-17-2010, 17:22
Thanks bigcranky, I saw those, I'm thinking of measuring my husband's shoulders to see if he'd be more comfy in a wider bag. :)

Jester2000
02-17-2010, 18:18
Shoulder girth is a very important measurement; you may want to get to an outfitter and get into a bag, any bag, to see what girth is most comfortable. You may end up buying a bag from that outfitter or not, but at the very least it will make shopping online easier.

One of the reasons many down bags are made in China is not just because of cheaper labor, but also because that's where the geese are.

Tinker
02-17-2010, 18:26
I have never switched out bags on any of my trips. I have always used a 15 degree bag. If you go this route, make sure your bag has a full zip so you can (as previously mentioned) unzip it and use as a quilt. When it gets really hot, I just sleep on top of it.

Jester,

Jester (and all) could you tell the OP the brand and model of bag you used? The age of the bag and type of use it had before your thruhike might help as well.

I'd offer a suggestion had I not used numerous bags, sometimes without extra clothing, sometimes with, sometimes in a shelter (the old days ;)), sometimes in a tent, sometimes in a hammock, sometimes under a tarp, etc.
Maybe I should just stick to ONE THING........... (maybe not - it's not me :D).
That said, I've found that treating sleeping gear much as clothing (as a layering system) works better (for me) than getting a bag for the lowest expected temperature and lugging the heavy,sweat inducing beast up and down peak after peak.

Spirit Walker
02-17-2010, 20:38
On the AT I used a 20 degree bag for both my thruhikes. I think it was a Northface Cat's Meow. I started around April 1 and only had a few nights when I was cold. On hot nights we slept in the tent and I just slept on top.

Jester2000
02-17-2010, 22:12
On the AT I used a 20 degree bag for both my thruhikes. I think it was a Northface Cat's Meow. I started around April 1 and only had a few nights when I was cold. On hot nights we slept in the tent and I just slept on top.

I have to correct my previous statement. I too used a 20 degree Cat's Meow on the AT. And I too started on April 1st. The bag was about a year old when I started the trail. I believe there was one night in the Smokies when I felt a bit cold, but not cold enough to keep me awake. Never had a problem feeling too hot.

I have recently switched to a down bag -- a 15 degree Lafuma Pro 950, which I carried on the PCT. It was new when I started. Never felt cold or hot, and it even kept me warm when it got a bit wet in Washington. I'm not sure whether or not I would carry a down bag on an AT thru-hike.

Oh, and by the way, I know it's easy to keep a down bag dry, and that you've never had a problem keeping it dry, so don't bother telling me that. I'm just talking about me, and what I would carry.

Jester2000
02-17-2010, 22:13
That previous statement was not directed at Spirit Walker, but at whoever out there will want to correct me on my own choices.

The Will
02-17-2010, 22:20
Agreed. You are right on target with a 20F bag. There is a surprising amount of temp variability in the spectrum between hood cinched and completely unzipped and used as a quilt.

You cannot go wrong with Western Mountain.

skinewmexico
02-17-2010, 23:08
Yes, I checked out the Western Mountaineering website and I was very pleasantly surprised! That's exactly what I wanted, a Made in USA product. These days it's nearly impossible to find American made products so this is great; I'd already resigned myself to buying something Chinese made.

And I thought I was the only one. You can do that (buy American) with packs and tents too. Unwrapping my WM Megalite was almost like a sexual experience. What a gorgeous bag. Oops, was that over the top? Nunatuk and Feathered Friends make some nice down bags here too.

tuswm
02-17-2010, 23:34
I would just like to say that My GF and I both have marmot bags, I have the never summer 0* and she has the angel fire 15* They are 600 fill bags and are made for a price point. Not top of the line. But I have used at least 6 different brands of bags and I will say that the mid level marmot is my favorite. A few reasons, I am a competitive swimmer with wide shoulders, every single other brand I have tried always seam just a little tighter around the shoulders. You made it sounds like your hubby has big shoulders..........but the marmot bags seam to zip together better then REI, kelty, North face, mountain hardwear, or lufalalople. But with these "price point" down bags you could have enough money left over to make a summer quilt, but my GF takes her 15* bag out in all weather.

What ever you decide goo luck with your hike!

buz
02-18-2010, 11:37
To me, buying two bags is a great idea, given you have the $, because the summer one will be significantly lighter. But, any good quality, full zipper down bag can be quilted easily and works in pretty warm temps that way, IMO. Being cold is terrible at night, and buying high end bag will pretty much eliminate that possibility for very little weight penalty. If you buy quality, you can either keep them literally for 20 years if you take care of them, or resell them pretty easily if you want to, for still good money.

I would vote for 800 fp down bag from one of the high end makers, 20 degree min rating. FF, Marmot, MH, WM, MB, etc. Fit is crucial, and knowing what size works vs. doesn't will make choosing way easier. Get you two to a good outfitter, get in their bags, note exact model and size, see what fits best. Then look at size specs, gives you a good idea of what size you fit when looking at other bags you can't physically try on.

If you buy without try, and don't like the fit, send it back, pay the postage, make sure you understand exchange policy up front. Certain bags will fit better than others, and hubby and you may end up with different makes. No big deal unless you want zip together possibilities.

Good hunting.

tuswm
02-18-2010, 13:19
I know that I was able to zip kelty, marmot and REI all together. If you decide you like different brands you can ask them what zipper they use, often its the same thing.

good luck

Sassafras Lass
02-19-2010, 12:13
Great, thank you everyone! I will try to get to a proper outfitters and try them out.