PDA

View Full Version : underwater housing for dslr?

Monster13
02-17-2010, 13:46
I know most people wouldn't even think twice about carrying a dslr on a thru-hike, but it's something that's really important to me. I think enjoying my hike and getting the quality of photos I want is more important than actually finishing the trail in one year. I have no problems with getting off of the trail and finishing it later.

I really am trying to keep the weight down though. I chose a lighter camera when I made the decision to buy a dslr. I plan to only carry the kit lens (it's the lens I use the most anyway, and I figure I won't have to worry so much about dust and dirt getting into the camera if I'm not swapping lenses). One thing I am worried about though is water damage.

I'd like to have the camera in easy reach at least 95% of the time. I wouldn't get nearly as many photos if my gear is in my pack, so I plan to get a seperate camera holster to carry on my front either at the sternum or waist.

My question is this...would it be handy to have an underwater housing like what is used in snorkeling and scuba diving? I'm thinking maybe a bag version like this one...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/560924-REG/Ewa_Marine_EM_U_B_U_B_Underwater_Housing.html

They're quite expensive (although not nearly as expensive or heavy as the hard plastic ones). I've thought of using just a heavy ziplock bag. I'm going to test that and see how the photos come out, but I think they may turn out kind of fuzzy.

What do you all think? Is there any other tips that may work?

skinny minnie
02-17-2010, 14:38
I've thought of using just a heavy ziplock bag. I'm going to test that and see how the photos come out, but I think they may turn out kind of fuzzy.

What do you all think? Is there any other tips that may work?

I'm kind of confused by that sentence. I understand the desire to protect your camera but shooting with a baggie on the camera seems like a bad idea. The whole point of a dslr is to get a higher quality picture... anything that impinges on that is not something you want to include.

That being said, I am sure some people have carried a dslr on their thru. I don't think carrying one will slow you down to the point you can't complete the trail... it's just a lot of bulk/weight and it's a fragile, expensive thing. I own one and it won't be coming with me. But that's because I don't want to deal with a giant bulky package on my chest or hip for miles on end. To each his own :) I do bring mine on dayhikes. Rarely on overnights, though.

It can be stored in a waterproof otterbox for a heck of a lot less money than the underwater housing... which kind of seems like a pain anyway. I'd worry way less about dust and dirt and more about accidentally bashing it when you take a fall. Because falls are definitely a sure thing when hiking for prolonged periods of time! Moisture would be a concern too, but I'd just not take a ton of photos on rainy days, and would be careful with it.

So I'd go with the simple, cheap solution which is otterbox. But maybe someone who actually carries their camera on lengthy hikes has a better solution.

GGS2
02-17-2010, 15:27
I'm not very clear on the idea of a DSLR on a long distance hiking trail. A DSLR kit for a photography expedition, ok. But you will sacrifice a lot of other things to do this. Check out some descriptions of what professional photographers do in order to get both themselves and their equipment where they need to be for the length of time they need to be there, and you'll get some idea of what I mean. For a recreational long distance hike, keep it light and simple. Are you going out to take photographs, or to hike the trail? If the former, then rent an SUV or whatever it takes, go to where the pictures come from and do your job. If the latter, then don't take any more heavy equipment than necessary, or you will end up dragging yourself down the trail. Mind you, HYOH and all that: It's your choice. If a DSLR and a bunch of lenses, tripod etc is what you need to be happy, by all means carry it, along with a Pelican case, underwater housing, etc. Oh, you're not carrying all that stuff? Just the body and one lens? Then why risk all that capital? Get a good enough camera and don't worry about it.

leaftye
02-17-2010, 15:56
Aren't most of the advanced dslr cameras already weather resistant? I know Pentax is really good about this.

Mountain Wildman
02-17-2010, 16:01
Not sure if this helps but Walmart.com offers less expensive alternatives.
http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?search_constraint=3944&ic=48_0&search_query=aquapac&Find.x=18&Find.y=9

JustaTouron
02-17-2010, 16:10
I'd like to have the camera in easy reach at least 95% of the time. I wouldn't get nearly as many photos if my gear is in my pack, so I plan to get a seperate camera holster to carry on my front either at the sternum or waist.

For the most part I rarely take photos in a downpour. Have you considered have the camara at the ready on nice days but stored inside your pack on days when it raining cats and dogs?

tuswm
02-17-2010, 16:37
I for beach patrol and have done some photography for my work using underwater housings for camera, they weigh more then the camera, they are bulky and are expensive, they also tend to fog up on the glass lens when not under water.

I think you should go take a look at one and play with it before buying one.

bigcranky
02-17-2010, 16:48
Get something like this (http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/digital-holster-10-shoulder-bag.aspx), which will hold your camera at the ready on your pack suspension, but comes with a rain cover to protect everything when it's actually raining.

If you want to shoot when it's raining, then carry an umbrella. Seriously. Pull out the camera, take the shot, and put it away.

As for what to carry, that's up to you. I make pictures for a living, so when I'm hiking the LAST thing I want to bring is an SLR camera. A nice little point and shoot is fine, thanks. Even then sometimes I have to force myself to take it out and shoot.

WalkingStick75
02-17-2010, 16:55
For that kind of money you can buy a waterproof digital and just that one on rain days leaving the slr safely inside your bag

Franco
02-17-2010, 20:21
There are several "weatherised" DSLRs on the market, however they are at the Pro end of the spectrum. A reasonably affordable version is the Pentax K7. Keep in mind that they are NOT water proof, just rain/splash proof.
The diving type housings are bulky,heavy and expensive. Not for hiking...
You may find the Olympus E1 on the used market. Very tough and also splash proof ( I tested that one...) . Heavy but less than a std DSLR plus housing
See also the Pentax K200D
Franco

Powder River
02-18-2010, 18:49
http://www.gearcabin.com/product/wxtex-f-trail-zoom-p77961.html

I would get one of these or something similar if you are super worried about it. I own the F-PS model by WXTEX for my G11 and it is really handy on bike trips, but for hiking it is not the slimmest case you can find. It works as effectively as any kayaking dry bag, however.

But I would just get a good case to sling from your harness or belt and throw a ziplock in the bottom and call it good. This was my system during my thru, and I never had any water get to my camera. I would leave the ziplock stored until I needed it, and then seal it up if it started raining. If it was really downpouring I would throw the whole thing in my pack just to be safe. My camera is still working just fine, so I don't think you'll have any problems.

Franco
02-18-2010, 19:01
Re: Ewa Marine
I used to sell those. Typically to snorkelers but also often to people doing water sports. Great for that.
Never sold one (that I remember) to a bushwalker. The shop I worked for is at the start of the street with all the best outdoor shops here in Melbourne, so we used to send customers to each other.
A problem with those bags is that condensation can build up very easily, so a bit of maintenance is required. Not ideal for prolonged use. (as in keeping the camera there for many hours).
Franco

Powder River
02-18-2010, 19:55
For that kind of money you can buy a waterproof digital and just that one on rain days leaving the slr safely inside your bag

Doesn't seem like you've had the opportunity to compare the results between a DSLR and a waterproof digital...