PDA

View Full Version : alcohol stoves

EMAN
02-17-2010, 13:47
I try to pack my entire cook kit into one convenient package, i.e., inside the pots. For some time I noticed moisture inside my pot when I unpacked. I thought my bottle was leaking. I found another. Seems like it leaked as well. I went through 3 or 4 bottles before it kind of occured to me that, as the alcohol is actually meant to draw moisture in gas lines, perhaps it was doing the same inside my pot. Last trip out, I stored the bottle in a plastic bag, then inside my pot kit. I experienced no moisture. Not even iside the plastic bag.
Has anyone else experienced this?

Two Speed
02-17-2010, 13:49
No.

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

KnittingMelissa
02-17-2010, 17:25
Nope, sounds like you either had moisture in the pots to begin with, or you weren't screwing the lids onto the bottles tight enough.

EMAN
02-17-2010, 19:35
Nope, sounds like you either had moisture in the pots to begin with, or you weren't screwing the lids onto the bottles tight enough.

Gee...you'd think after the second bottle at least, way deep down inside my childlike mind, I would have thought...hmmm...I wonder if the lid is tight on this second bottle. Then , at the third bottle, even an ape like me would have given that ol' lid one...more...good...twist.
And as for already present moisture, I don't know about you campers but maybe from boredom, maybe from habit...dunno...I always kind of scan my cookware, if for no other reason than some tasty little morsel left over from the previous meal. Noooo....no morsels, no twigs, no critters, no water, not even a drop of moisture.
But thanks Melissa.
Reckon I'll have to stop wiping my cookware with my sweaty socks.....

Ewker
02-17-2010, 19:40

someone remind me to never accept an offer of food from Eman :D

Skidsteer
02-17-2010, 21:40
I try to pack my entire cook kit into one convenient package, i.e., inside the pots. For some time I noticed moisture inside my pot when I unpacked. I thought my bottle was leaking. I found another. Seems like it leaked as well. I went through 3 or 4 bottles before it kind of occured to me that, as the alcohol is actually meant to draw moisture in gas lines, perhaps it was doing the same inside my pot. Last trip out, I stored the bottle in a plastic bag, then inside my pot kit. I experienced no moisture. Not even iside the plastic bag.
Has anyone else experienced this?

If the moisture was from your fuel bottle, the alcohol smell would've been obvious and very strong when you opened up your cook kit.

If you can't smell it , it's water.

KnittingMelissa
02-17-2010, 23:40
Gee...you'd think after the second bottle at least, way deep down inside my childlike mind, I would have thought...hmmm...I wonder if the lid is tight on this second bottle. Then , at the third bottle, even an ape like me would have given that ol' lid one...more...good...twist.
And as for already present moisture, I don't know about you campers but maybe from boredom, maybe from habit...dunno...I always kind of scan my cookware, if for no other reason than some tasty little morsel left over from the previous meal. Noooo....no morsels, no twigs, no critters, no water, not even a drop of moisture.
But thanks Melissa.

Sorry, I know a lot of engineers. I've seen them make mistakes like not screwing on a bottle lid five or ten times before they realize what the issue is.

Yes, engineers are, commonly, pretty dumb.

Wise Old Owl
02-18-2010, 00:19
Sorry, I know a lot of engineers. I've seen them make mistakes like not screwing on a bottle lid five or ten times before they realize what the issue is.

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ccGXejPUBAnQZM:http://msnbcmedia2.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/051014/051014_scotty_hmed7p.hmedium.jpg (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://msnbcmedia2.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/051014/051014_scotty_hmed7p.hmedium.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9701071/&usg=__wY6eZze1d-kMMWo3A8uF8wSHWxk=&h=273&w=384&sz=12&hl=en&start=7&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=ccGXejPUBAnQZM:&tbnh=87&tbnw=123&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dscotty%2Bstar%2Btrek%26um%3D1%26hl%3D en%26safe%3Doff%26sa%3DX%26rlz%3D1G1GGLQ_ENUS303%2 6tbs%3Disch:1)

Scotty (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001150/): On Earth, we have a saying: Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

Two Speed
02-18-2010, 09:18
Gee...you'd think after the second bottle at least, way deep down inside my childlike mind, I would have thought...hmmm...I wonder if the lid is tight on this second bottle. Then , at the third bottle, even an ape like me would have given that ol' lid one...more...good...twist.Nah, prolly not.
. . . Reckon I'll have to stop wiping my cookware with my sweaty socks.....Sheesh, everybody knows that's wrong. That's what you save the toilet paper for.

Yes, engineers are, commonly, pretty dumb.Hmm, haven't heard a wisecrack like that since Minnie Smith left us. In that spirit:

EMAN
02-18-2010, 09:21
If the moisture was from your fuel bottle, the alcohol smell would've been obvious and very strong when you opened up your cook kit.

If you can't smell it , it's water.

Yeah, that's what was weird, it was definitely water. You know I only boil water, don't actually cook anything in the pot but I always at least wipe it out to help prevent possible rust if nothing else. But with the two brain cells I have left from the 70's, I thought, maybe there's just enough moisture left in any flaws in the pot to seek it's way through the bottle I store the alcohol in.
Then again, all this could be from nipping off the HEET too. HA!

No offense meant darlin'...strictly humor.....I appreciate any help or advice.

EMAN
02-18-2010, 09:25
Nah, prolly not.Sheesh, everybody knows that's wrong. That's what you save the toilet paper for.Hmm, haven't heard a wisecrack like that since Minnie Smith left us. In that spirit:

Just something here about the way she's....posing....uh...hmmmm....:banana

Two Speed
02-18-2010, 09:28
Soooo, any advice I could offer? You know, like making sure the lid's tight on the alky bottle or something?

Seriously, I usually put my alcohol* in an external mesh pocket. I figure I've got a better chance of smelling the alcohol if it starts leaking.

* fuel for the stove. I'm pretty sure you'd swipe my cognac if I didn't stow in inside the pack.

EMAN
02-18-2010, 09:29
Wow...sure screwed that up.

And I wonder about alcohol leaks........

EMAN
02-18-2010, 09:30
COGNAC.....ohhhh.....ohhhh......mmmmm.....

Dances with Mice
02-18-2010, 10:19

If you can't smell it , it's water.Lookit Skids playing Mr. Science and all.

Engineers get confused by that whole righty tighty lefty loosey thing.

10-K
02-18-2010, 11:20
1. Leave the alcohol bottle out and see if it happens.

If it does, it's not the alcohol. If it doesn't:

2. Put the alcohol bottle back in

If it does, it's the alcohol. If it doesn't, you're just weird. ;-)

EMAN
02-18-2010, 13:34
If it does, it's the alcohol. If it doesn't, you're just weird. ;-)[/QUOTE]

This part...yeah...

Skidsteer
02-18-2010, 13:40
Lookit Skids playing Mr. Science and all.

Engineers get confused by that whole righty tighty lefty loosey thing.

I tried the whole righty tighty-lefty loosey thing once and I think it's bunk.

It really didn't seem to matter which hand I used.

Hikes in Rain
02-18-2010, 13:46
Lots of hits at us engineers here. Makes me real uncomfortable. Especially since it's all true. Remind me to share my collection of engineer jokes sometime.

My guess is that even after a wipe, there's some residual water left on the pot surface, or perhaps on other things in the pot also. Over time, with temperature changes through the day and with the pot in a relatively stable position, it condenses and collects at the bottom. I don't see how a tight bottle that doesn't appear to be leaking could draw water. But 10-K has the definitive test.