PDA

View Full Version : Lightweight Bag Liner

Singletrack
09-27-2004, 10:32
I am looking at a bag liner to use with a 30 degree bag. The Cocoon 100% Silk Liner, at Campmor, seems a little pricey. ($49.95) 4.7 oz., rated at 9.5 degrees. Has anyone had any experience with this liner? And if so, does it really give a 9.5 degree warmth?

Blue Jay
09-27-2004, 10:54
I am looking at a bag liner to use with a 30 degree bag. The Cocoon 100% Silk Liner, at Campmor, seems a little pricey. ($49.95) 4.7 oz., rated at 9.5 degrees. Has anyone had any experience with this liner? And if so, does it really give a 9.5 degree warmth?

Yes, I always use this liner, in the heat often, by itself. It keeps me from having to wash my sleeping bags very often. After about 3000 miles and many washings holes can start to develop but I still feel it is a good deal. That price is good, they used to be more expensive. I don't know how they got the 0.5 degree measure, I'd go with 9.

Singletrack
09-27-2004, 12:08
Thanks Blue Jay, exactly the info I was looking for.

bobgessner57
09-27-2004, 12:16
[QUOTE=Blue Jay]Yes, I always use this liner, in the heat often, by itself.

Blue Jay: What do you find to be the lowest nightime temp that is comfortable with the liner alone? Are you a warm or cool sleeper?

Blue Jay
09-27-2004, 12:34
Blue Jay: What do you find to be the lowest nightime temp that is comfortable with the liner alone? Are you a warm or cool sleeper?

I would like to answer that but I have no idea or even a good guess. I never carry a thermometer. The only reason I agreed with the 9 degree range is because I have two sleeping bags that are rated 10 degrees apart and the liner seems to bridge them.

Kerosene
09-27-2004, 13:42
This is actually relatively inexpensive compared to all-silk liners ($60+) as well as lighter (6.0 oz). The added warmth rating will always be subjective, but 5-10 degrees should be pretty close.

Youngblood
09-27-2004, 14:11
I think long johns provide more utility and comfort than a bag liner. I have been using silk johns that I bought from REI a few years back for sleeping and on days when it is cold enough to need them. I think the pair weighs about 8 oz. I also carry a pair of fleece socks for sleeping that probably weigh less than 2 oz. This a very comfortable setup and definately adds a few degrees of warmth. The wind does not go through them like it did with my light weight long johns on those late night nature calls and it seems like they weigh about half of what my light weight REI long johns weighed. A couple of other light weight items that add a lot of warmth for the weight are a fleece neck gaiter and a fleece hat.

Youngblood

Big Dawg
09-27-2004, 14:13
I've been considering getting one of these liners too,, but only drawback seems to be no side opening,,, seems like it would be a pain in the a$$ to get in and out of (especially quickly at night, when nature's calling). Any comments about this??

Kerosene
09-27-2004, 16:02
I've been considering getting one of these liners too,, but only drawback seems to be no side opening,,, seems like it would be a pain in the a$$ to get in and out of (especially quickly at night, when nature's calling). Any comments about this??Many of the silk liners have a side opening that closes with velcro tabs. These liners provide more flexibility when it gets warmer, so you don't have to close up your entire bag or boil in your long-johns.

fantasmagris
09-28-2004, 17:24
I have a silk cocoon liner and a thermolite liner. IMO these type liners are not worth much as additional warmth. I certainly disagree the silkliner adds anywhere near 9F (i do not crawl inside my liner but use both layers as a top blanket...) The best use for my rectangular silk liner is as a blanket on warm nights laying on top of my 40F bag when the bag is too much. If you are looking to ADD warmth to your bag rating, extra clothing is definitely the way to go, or perhaps using the liner as a quilt on top of you.

SGT Rock
09-28-2004, 17:31
Someone once suggested simply getting a set of silk long underwear to sleep in since the clothing is easier to get into in something like a hammock and never comes lose or anything. Plus you can wear it for clothing if you need too and you can wash it just like a bag liner. A cool strategy to keep warm and your bag clean. Campmor has a sil set that weighs about 6.8 ounces total and about $42.

Uncle Wayne
09-29-2004, 06:38
I think long johns provide more utility and comfort than a bag liner.
Youngblood

I tried the silk long johns and while I can wear them as needed during the day I could never sleep good while wearing them. It felt like my legs were constricted (similar to having them wrapped in an Ace bandage) to the point of being uncomfortable after I laid down. They don't feel that way while I'm hiking or moving around wearing the long johns. Maybe I bought my long johns to small but I went back to a silk liner and it solved the constriction problem I felt. To each his own I guess.

aardvarkdave
09-29-2004, 09:00
www.jagbags.co.nz

From $23 depending on style/colour/thickness of silk, including shipping. Great service (mine arrived in 7 days airmail from NZ) and really light at 3.5oz for the fine silk ones. Get a coloured one to hide the dirt and you can wear it as a sarong whilst doing your laundry.

If you're small or really large they'll make one to size for you - the standard ones have a lot of spare room (I estimate would fit a 6ft4 person of 220lbs).

9.5 degrees? I wonder how they calculate that. There's a huge difference between adding 9deg of warmth at near ambient/body temp (which silk might do by reducing convection) and adding 9deg at 20deg (which silk won't do - it would need to be at least a quarter of an inch thick!).

Youngblood
09-29-2004, 10:11
I tried the silk long johns and while I can wear them as needed during the day I could never sleep good while wearing them. It felt like my legs were constricted (similar to having them wrapped in an Ace bandage) to the point of being uncomfortable after I laid down. They don't feel that way while I'm hiking or moving around wearing the long johns. Maybe I bought my long johns to small but I went back to a silk liner and it solved the constriction problem I felt. To each his own I guess.

Yeah, me and Spiderman don't have a problem with them :) Sorry, I couldn't resist that. They are form fitting, no matter what your form. I have had clothes that were too restrictive for me to be comfortable in, but I haven't felt that way in my silk long johns. They have felt very comfortable so far... if the next time I put them on they feel too tight, I will owe you one. :)

Youngblood