PDA

View Full Version : Hiking the AT in PA

horicon
02-18-2010, 08:46
As of right now, 18 February 2010 I have 11 April to 16 April off from work. I am planning on doing a section of the AT in PA. Any suggitions???

How is the public trasportation in PA near the AT? How are the trail condition in April??

J-Rod
02-18-2010, 09:32
In April you might run into snow on some parts of the AT in PA
i know my area(Port Clinton) we have 2 foot of snow on the ground...and calling for more next week..so might not all be gone come April

i wanted to do an overnight myself the end of the month...but with the snow and no snow shoes...i don't see me going

buff_jeff
02-18-2010, 10:20
In April you might run into snow on some parts of the AT in PA
i know my area(Port Clinton) we have 2 foot of snow on the ground...and calling for more next week..so might not all be gone come April

i wanted to do an overnight myself the end of the month...but with the snow and no snow shoes...i don't see me going

Oh man, I was planning on doing Del Water Gap to Port Clinton the second week in March...

ki0eh
02-18-2010, 10:20
Snow on the PA AT, all below 2,000' in mid-April? I suppose it could be possible but not terribly likely. On my maintenance section in St. Anthony's Wilderness buds are usually breaking by April 15 - I typically target the nearest weekend to hit the section with loppers and handsaw. Snow and most of the ice is typically gone from even the MST by mid-April.

Virginia bluebells typically bloom in the Cumberland Valley about the third week of April. You'll likely see a few other spring ephemerals in the second week. There's not much mud in PA other than the Cumberland Valley (due to the rocks poking through it :D ) but what mud there is will show up then. A dry summer in VT will show a lot more mud than a wet spring on the PA A.T. - again with the possible exception of parts of the Cumberland Valley.

Public transportation, frankly, stinks in PA for getting to the AT. Any of Delaware Water Gap, Port Clinton, or Duncannon may once have had bus service. DWG still does according to http://www.martztrailways.com/schedule-information.asp but I'm having trouble digging up the other two.

Harrisburg's Capital Area Transit has some weekday only commuter routes, on a weekday commuter schedule, that stop near the A.T. - on here (http://www.cattransit.com/routes_and_schedules_bus.php) Route 23 stops right on the A.T. (see stop #8, Clarks Ferry Bridge) on the other side of two rivers from Duncannon, and Route C crosses the A.T. in the Cumberland Valley on a busy truck-filled road (stop #15, Country Club Road, is probably the closest and at least has facilities to duck into for a bite to eat or something if it's raining). The bus transfer point in Harrisburg is 3 blocks from the Amtrak/intercity bus station with frequent trains to Phila and NYC.

trailsauce
02-18-2010, 10:32
Even if the snow is pretty much gone by then, the effects of the melt coupled with normal Spring rains will probably leave the trail pretty muddy in spots, especially in flat ridge-top sections like those around the Pinnacle. Nothing too terrible, though.

I'd definitely stick to the area east of Duncannon as it provides better views, but as ki0eh pointed out, there's really no good public transportation options.

emerald
02-18-2010, 15:12
Public transportation, frankly, stinks in PA for getting to the AT. Any of Delaware Water Gap, Port Clinton, or Duncannon may once have had bus service. DWG still does according to http://www.martztrailways.com/schedule-information.asp but I'm having trouble digging up the other two.

Connecting with BARTA's Route 20 (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=843429&postcount=14)

Now what's so hard about that? All it took was an advanced search on my posts with BARTA as the keyword.

Carl Bieber Tourways offers competitive rates from New York City to Reading's Inter-City Bus Terminal. There's a link for CBT somewhere too or just Google it.

I owe you a response on another thread and haven't forgotten.

ki0eh
02-18-2010, 16:36
Now what's so hard about that? All it took was an advanced search on my posts with BARTA as the keyword.

I guess searching on "fussganger" would have worked too. :D

Maybe "public transportation to the A.T." should be one of the Articles. Hopefully someone who does more of riding public transit to the A.T. than I do, could write it.

1azarus
02-18-2010, 17:50
i'll be heading north from Duncannon March 4th (afternoon) to Swatara Gap, out by lunch on the 6th. we'll see about the snow shoes. thursday night at Peter's mountain shelter, friday night at Rausch gap. anybody around welcome to join me.

Yahtzee
02-18-2010, 18:12
That's a great hike, 1azurus. Nice planning, too. Doubtful there will still be snow on the mountains, unless it snows again. Those mts get direct sun and the snowpack reduces fairly quickly in those parts. Not sure if you have been around that area or where your preferences lie vis a vis shelter/tenting, but there is a great tenting spot at the point where the blue blaze trail to the shelter breaks off. On the other hand, the piped spring at the shelter is great.

I'd be more concerned with water on the mt. north of 325. Not sure how much work the Susquehanna ATC has done since taking over that section, but that section of trail is notorious for being wet, wet, wet. Once on top of the ridge, the trail can be quite the little stream.

Wish I could go. That's a great little hike.

Oh, on your first day, when you get the top of your first climb, about 1 mile north of the river, climb up the rock outcropping to your right. You will get a great vista of the river. In fact, the river bends around that mountain at that spot, so you have the same river whether you are looking east or west. Also, the pipeline view about 1/2 mile north of the William Penn Shelter is fantastic. On a clear day, you can see the stacks of TMI about 20 miles down river.

sasquatch2014
02-18-2010, 18:22
Wish I could go with you but I don't see any hiking for a bit. Have some home life stuff that I need to be available for. I was wanting to do this same section that your talking about but at the end of Feb. I'll be interested to hear how your trip goes.

1azarus
02-18-2010, 18:26
That's a great hike, 1azurus. Nice planning, too. Doubtful there will still be snow on the mountains, unless it snows again. Those mts get direct sun and the snowpack reduces fairly quickly in those parts. Not sure if you have been around that area or where your preferences lie vis a vis shelter/tenting, but there is a great tenting spot at the point where the blue blaze trail to the shelter breaks off. On the other hand, the piped spring at the shelter is great.

I'd be more concerned with water on the mt. north of 325. Not sure how much work the Susquehanna ATC has done since taking over that section, but that section of trail is notorious for being wet, wet, wet. Once on top of the ridge, the trail can be quite the little stream.

Wish I could go. That's a great little hike.

Oh, on your first day, when you get the top of your first climb, about 1 mile north of the river, climb up the rock outcropping to your right. You will get a great vista of the river. In fact, the river bends around that mountain at that spot, so you have the same river whether you are looking east or west. Also, the pipeline view about 1/2 mile north of the William Penn Shelter is fantastic. On a clear day, you can see the stacks of TMI about 20 miles down river.

I'd say I can't wait for the hike, but that is pretty much the way i always feel. i'll look for those spots you mentioned. if it isn't raining, i won't stay in the shelter if there's a prettier place nearby.

emerald
02-18-2010, 18:26
I'll be heading north from Duncannon March 4th to Swatara Gap...

Also, the pipeline view about 1/2 mile north of the William Penn Shelter is fantastic. On a clear day, you can see the stacks of TMI about 20 miles down river.

WPS is AT North of Swatara Gap.

Lion King
02-18-2010, 18:27
trains go into Pearisburg, easy 20 miles to Duncannon, hike it South to Harpers Ferry, train there.

North Of Port Clinton its tougher in trail and Public Transport terms till NY/NJ

Lion King
02-18-2010, 18:28
trains go into Pearisburg, easy 20 miles to Duncannon, hike it South to Harpers Ferry, train there.

North Of Port Clinton its tougher in trail and Public Transport terms till NY/NJ
\

HARRISBURG!.....not Pearisburg....

1azarus
02-18-2010, 18:57
...just remembering the PA regs -- I'll be staying at shelters where its required.

Yahtzee
02-18-2010, 19:12
Thanks for the pick up, Emerald, I was thinking of the pipeline north of the Clarks Ferry Shelter.

As for regs, Emerald, is it kosher to stay at the big open spot next to the creek right before the Rausch Gap Shelter? Would hate to steer someone in the wrong direction.

Deerleg
02-18-2010, 19:41
Oh man, I was planning on doing Del Water Gap to Port Clinton the second week in March...
I'm committed to at least a weekend 27 & 28 of Feb in that area, and if manageable will hike just north of there that 1st week of March...I'll let you know how it goes....

emerald
02-18-2010, 19:51
Some information about SGL 211 can be found in the Rausch Gap Shelter thread (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2103).

J-Rod
02-18-2010, 21:15
i wanted to get out on the AT near Port Clinton at the end of this month...
but with all the snow i don't see me going...
there calling for more snow this Mon into Tues i hope it misses us...i want this snow to melt LOL

some ppl are saying that we are going to get hit with a Big storm beginning of March ...i really hope not :eek:

ki0eh
02-18-2010, 22:30

Actually quite a bit - 2 years worth of the Mid-Atlantic Crew turnpiking the area north of Yellow Springs, a relocation on the NPS former Harrisburg Authority land, and a good bit of re-digging just south of the Rausch Gap shelter trail. For the latest project, the lower half of the Cold Spring side trail has been rehabbed too. More in the works awaiting approvals.

emerald
02-19-2010, 01:58
Maybe "public transportation to the A.T." should be one of the Articles. Hopefully someone who does more of riding public transit to the A.T. than I do, could write it.

ATC has published a page of information on its website and WhiteBlaze created a series of threads on the topic of public transportation in Pennsylvania some time ago.

ki0eh
02-19-2010, 08:26
ATC has published a page of information on its website

You mean this page (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.mqLTIYOwGlF/b.4805499/k.547C/Getting_to_the_Trail.htm) ? No "BARTA" on it...

buff_jeff
02-19-2010, 09:34
I'm committed to at least a weekend 27 & 28 of Feb in that area, and if manageable will hike just north of there that 1st week of March...I'll let you know how it goes....

Thanks, I'd appreciate that. Hope the hike goes well.

emerald
02-19-2010, 14:30
You mean this page (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.mqLTIYOwGlF/b.4805499/k.547C/Getting_to_the_Trail.htm)? No "BARTA" on it...

That's the page to which I refered. Bieber (http://www.capitoltrailways.com) (click on Scheduled Line Service) serves Reading's Inter-City Bus Terminal providing transportation to and from many Pennsylvania and distant locations.

Still, what I've called attention to isn't a direct connection to Port Clinton or the A.T. unless dropping off a rider is permitted when coaches pass through Schuylkill Gap. I recollect we determined previously Capitol Trailways no longer considers Port Clinton to be a "flag stop." Were there sufficient demand, they might provide a direct connection.

Anyone who cares to know should call to inquire. My recommendation before and still is to catch BARTA's Route 20 (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=843429&postcount=14) to Cabela's and then walk the remaining short distance.

I don't know why ATC doesn't list Bieber or BARTA. Maybe they decided to list only direct connections or it was never called to their attention.

Trailways connects to Washington and with train service from there to Harpers Ferry there should be all kinds of options. Where there is a strong enough will there is almost always a way.

pfann
02-19-2010, 15:33
sorry, I deleted this. accidentally put it on the wrong thread,

pfann

emerald
02-19-2010, 16:35
I don't know why ATC doesn't list Bieber or BARTA. Maybe they decided to list only direct connections or it was never called to their attention.

I emailed ATC a link to my last post moments ago.

J-Rod
02-23-2010, 20:37
just a heads up ....looks like the parking area in Port Clinton is clear again and good bit of the snow melted this week..weather was nice...and the rain helpd...only bad this is we are getting another storm this week...
look like another big one...i'll keep everyone updated

Strategic
02-25-2010, 13:00
That's the page to which I refered. Bieber (http://www.capitoltrailways.com) (click on Scheduled Line Service) serves Reading's Inter-City Bus Terminal providing transportation to and from many Pennsylvania and distant locations.

Still, what I've called attention to isn't a direct connection to Port Clinton or the A.T. unless dropping off a rider is permitted when coaches pass through Schuylkill Gap. I recollect we determined previously Capitol Trailways no longer considers Port Clinton to be a "flag stop." Were there sufficient demand, they might provide a direct connection.

I just looked up Bieber/Capitol Trailways when I started reading this thread (great minds think alike :D) and they still (or possibly once again) have Port Clinton listed as a flag stop. I'd call them first, but I'd say that this is still a viable route to get to Port Clinton from as far away as Philadelphia.

emerald
02-25-2010, 17:35
When I looked at the map last, I noticed a scheduled stop at Redner's. Hikers wishing to resupply could catch a bus from Cabela's to Redner's Warehouse Markets, shop and catch another back. There may also be a scheduled stop in Hamburg.

I'm not sure about the issue of packs or fare. Someone should look into the opportunties, cost and report back.

buff_jeff
02-25-2010, 17:41
Any word on the trail between Del Water Gap and Port Clinton? Looks like another 6-12" on the way...:o

emerald
02-25-2010, 20:26
Nothing here but flurries now. Forecast calls for 4-8 inches wet snow, but I'm on the western edge.

Largest accumulations expected toward ABE and Poconos. New Jersey, NYC ice, other kinds of related nastiness.

J-Rod
02-25-2010, 20:36
Port Clinton was starting to look good till this storm moved in :eek:
was hoping to get out and hike next week...not looking good

a good bit of the snow from the last storm has melted so i hope we get a few warm days next week to clear it up for mid march

emerald
02-25-2010, 20:38
How much new snow do you have on the ground there?

J-Rod
02-26-2010, 00:55
as of now looks like 4 inch

and still coming...there calling for close to 10 for us...

1azarus
02-26-2010, 08:11
as of now looks like 4 inch

and still coming...there calling for close to 10 for us...

could you give us an update later today? i'll be in that neighborhood this coming thursday for a few days and was wondering about the snow shoe/ no snow shoe question... now that i own a pair, i might actually end up using them!

Wise Old Owl
02-26-2010, 10:50
Snow right now? 5" fresh on top of a foot of crusty melt from the previous two storms. Folks my birthday falls in the middle of April and creates a memory of rare snowfalls here in PA. It does happen-turning the trail into a muddy rocky slog fest. Sometimes it is a ankle twister too. Pa is best in late spring and autumn. (leaves on the trees)

http://www.intellicast.com/National/Radar/Current.aspx?animate=true&location=USPA1188

buff_jeff
02-26-2010, 11:35
Starting Sunday, the weather is forecasted to be great for a week:

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/USPA1314

J-Rod
02-26-2010, 12:44
could you give us an update later today? i'll be in that neighborhood this coming thursday for a few days and was wondering about the snow shoe/ no snow shoe question... now that i own a pair, i might actually end up using them!

hard to tell with all the drifting...but they sid we got 8 so far...and looks like it's calm now...

this week i was at the trailhead...looked ok...most of the snow was melted..

i think with 2 or 3 good days ofwarm sun you should not need the snow shoes,i will keep you osted as the week moves on

emerald
02-26-2010, 13:34
Hard to say, but I don't think there's more than an inch of fresh snow blowing around and a bit of slush here and there on the roads.

J-Rod
02-28-2010, 15:32
looks like alot of the snow has melted today...it's nice and warm out...but that are calling for more snow this week...i hope it misses us LOL

a few more days of this and most of the snow will be gone

emerald
02-28-2010, 16:00
I was thinking the same and thought about posting my thoughts here for those who may be interested to know how much snow cover remains. Unless we get more, before long, all that will remain is remnants where it was piled highest.

shelterbuilder
02-28-2010, 16:37
For the benefit of those who REALLY want to go out in it: last week when I walked in to the Eagle's Nest Shelter from Shartlesville, as soon as I got off of the snowmobile tracks, I was in 18 inches of WET snow (yes, the snowshoes were REALLY appreciated). And most of the snow-melt was still locked in the snowpack, as Yeich's Stream (at the shelter) was only flowing WEAKLY.

This may have changed during this past week, and it may change during the coming week, but..."that's the way it was"!

As I mentioned to 1azarus in my PM to him, one of the great things about snow-camping is that you can stop for the day almost anywhere you want to, because your water supply is all around you! By the way, ths is one place where the snowshoes really come in handy, because you can use them to stomp down a nice, flat spot in the snow for your tent - those of you who are snow-campers KNOW what I'm talking about!!!

sasquatch2014
03-01-2010, 10:10
Stopped by the trail crossing in Clarks Ferry area yesterday on my way home from the Warmer and there was a good covering of really wet snow still on the ground and bunch more higher up when I took Gold Mine Rd down into Swartara Gap. The south facing slopes will melt off pretty quick with a bit of sun now that it is getting at a better angle it has more power to get us to spring.

1azarus
03-01-2010, 14:41
thanks, everyone, for your wonderful PA hospitality! Got the denali snowshoes, got the microspikes, and just got a warbonnet yeti underquilt which i really can't wait to try. on top of that i've got a spectacular forecast for thursday, friday and saturday. oh, and plenty of moonlight. and the days are a lot longer. and the trail to myself. i can't wait to go play! i am one happy old man!

emerald
03-01-2010, 14:47
We'll be waiting for your trip report!

J-Rod
03-01-2010, 16:50
Have a good trip...i might see ya out there...might go out this weekend
the Yeti is really nice..i got a crowsnest myself....Stormcrow does really nice work

1azarus
03-01-2010, 17:12
Have a good trip...i might see ya out there...might go out this weekend
the Yeti is really nice..i got a crowsnest myself....Stormcrow does really nice work

i'm a little embarrassed that i got a yeti -- i was so close to getting a crowsnest. they both seem perfect. that was a tough decision!

J-Rod
03-01-2010, 19:11
yes it is...i like the yeti alot...i got a chance to run some winter test on the 3 season yeti...i had one down to 17 degrees and was nice and warm...lowest i would go is 10 with one
i like the crowsnest more because it's more wider...so it covers you better..
other then that there both really good
i take it you have a Blackbird
i use a WB traveler...that way i can leave the bugnet at home this time of year

1azarus
03-01-2010, 19:17
yes it is...i like the yeti alot...i got a chance to run some winter test on the 3 season yeti...i had one down to 17 degrees and was nice and warm...lowest i would go is 10 with one
i like the crowsnest more because it's more wider...so it covers you better..
other then that there both really good
i take it you have a Blackbird
i use a WB traveler...that way i can leave the bugnet at home this time of year
no on the blackbird... i have an ultralight travel hammock which i've added a ridge line to... and i'm short and pretty small, so i'm thinking the 3/4 length narrow yeti'll work for me... it sure felt good in my backyard this afternoon!

J-Rod
03-01-2010, 19:23
sounds good...have fun on your hike...and take PICS!!!

shelterbuilder
03-01-2010, 19:45
Yes, enjoy yourself - wish I was going with you, but we just ratified a new contract at work, so it's back to the ol' grind! (I'm lucky, though - at least I HAVE an "ol' grind" to get back to!)

We expect lots of pictures!:D

Deerleg
03-02-2010, 09:44
I day hiked from 501 to Swatara Sat the 27th. There was quite a bit of snow and it varied between 3-6 inches of fresh snow on top of a layer of 6" to maybe 2 feet of crusty snow. It was just cold enough on Saturday for the snow to be stable enough to walk on with snow shoes without breaking through too much. The challenge was the last mile before going off the ridge above I81. The drift line washed over the trail in an endless series of waves of soft new snow anywhere from a foot or two on up to 6 feet and more. The last couple of miles through the gap were tough too because the snow was often more than a foot deep and had softened significantly making it a real trudge. No blow downs.

http://img6.tinypic.info/files/h0wrav1hk65g0ijxoo5x.jpg

Sunday did 325 to Swatara but bailed at Yellow Creek because it was almost impassable. It took me almost 3 hours to go maybe 2 miles up to the ridge. It was a little warmer; the snow was deeper and still coming down making it almost impossible to spot blazes. Going up to the ridge was a rollercoaster of soft drifts that meant the required effort was 2-3 times greater than under more hospitable circumstances. It stopped snowing at about noon and the sun was in and out and the snow got much softer making it even harder to push through. It really turned into a self rescue. At the rate I was going I would run out of daylight long before I got back to Swatara Gap. Turn around or bail at Yellow Creek and walk back on the groomed snow mobile trail. Ended up going down Yellow Creek and enjoyed about 8-9 miles of groomed trail back to Gold Mine Rd.
http://img6.tinypic.info/files/60anmomulmpwf1dt63d5.jpg
(http://img6.tinypic.info/files/60anmomulmpwf1dt63d5.jpg)

J-Rod
03-02-2010, 10:15
Thanks for posting the pics ...looks like alot of fun
man i can't wait till this crap is melted :mad:

Deerleg
03-02-2010, 11:19
Thanks for posting the pics ...looks like alot of fun
man i can't wait till this crap is melted :mad:
Same here! I was going to continue NB all week but the trail said no...it wont be long though and and a lot of it will be gone. Cant wait for :sundays!

1azarus
03-02-2010, 13:17
so my 17.5 mile day on friday is gonna be a bit of a challenge!!! i will post a report, and i do feel really really good about bringing snowshoes now. and i will go for it!!! thanks for the pictures, i am now really, well, pumped!!!

Deerleg
03-02-2010, 15:12
i'll be heading north from Duncannon March 4th (afternoon) to Swatara Gap, out by lunch on the 6th. we'll see about the snow shoes. thursday night at Peter's mountain shelter, friday night at Rausch gap. anybody around welcome to join me.
After you climb up out of the gap from Duncannon on that 1st section before crossing 325 a good portion is right on the ridge or just off the ridge on the south side that in spots has probably got less sun to melt things down. Its likely there will still be lots of snow as more is in the forecast for Wednesday. There still could be a significant drift line across a good portion of the trail and I'm afraid it's going to be challenging to keep your itinerary. As for the other side of 325 I only made it to Yellow Springs before I bailed...about 4-1/2 hours of tough no stop hiking to go just under 6 miles. My plan was to hike all week, but did the two "day hikes" to get an idea what I was in for. I opted to go home and do the rest of my section later this year. The conditions where beyond my ability to hike safely. Be careful and don't be afraid to go with a less ambitious plan B. I love just getting out and enjoying whatever is out there, but I've learned nature is pretty indifferent to whether I'm there or not so I only take what its willing to give. I can't beat or conquer, I can only hope to get along with it. :)
Good Luck and give us a report!

Bob Anderson
03-02-2010, 16:03
Nice photos - and they are not coming as any surprise based on approach drive. Good luck with future hikes - and hey, the snow did cover up some of the nasty PA rocks! JEB

1azarus
03-02-2010, 16:20
After you climb up out of the gap from Duncannon on that 1st section before crossing 325 a good portion is right on the ridge or just off the ridge on the south side that in spots has probably got less sun to melt things down. Its likely there will still be lots of snow as more is in the forecast for Wednesday. There still could be a significant drift line across a good portion of the trail and I'm afraid it's going to be challenging to keep your itinerary. As for the other side of 325 I only made it to Yellow Springs before I bailed...about 4-1/2 hours of tough no stop hiking to go just under 6 miles. My plan was to hike all week, but did the two "day hikes" to get an idea what I was in for. I opted to go home and do the rest of my section later this year. The conditions where beyond my ability to hike safely. Be careful and don't be afraid to go with a less ambitious plan B. I love just getting out and enjoying whatever is out there, but I've learned nature is pretty indifferent to whether I'm there or not so I only take what its willing to give. I can't beat or conquer, I can only hope to get along with it. :)
Good Luck and give us a report!

...i hear you. bravado aside, i am a bit concerned. the itinerary is reversed now, will be starting at swatara gap and heading south. still probably foolishly ambitious, but we'll see. thank you for breaking trail!!! i'll look for your tracks. snow could be a bit firmer by thursday... here's hoping!

emerald
03-02-2010, 21:28
Plenty of grass is visible south of Blue Mountain now, especially in more open areas.

ki0eh
03-02-2010, 21:42
As for the other side of 325 I only made it to Yellow Springs before I bailed...about 4-1/2 hours of tough no stop hiking to go just under 6 miles.

You went down the remains of Yellow Springs trail, Trail-east, compass south, of the A.T., in the snow? That must have been an adventurous 3/4 mile in and of itself! Did you notice the actual Yellow Spring?

Deerleg
03-03-2010, 12:10
You went down the remains of Yellow Springs trail, Trail-east, compass south, of the A.T., in the snow? That must have been an adventurous 3/4 mile in and of itself! Did you notice the actual Yellow Spring?
It was an adventure, and while there are still some blue blazes I wondered off course several times. It looks like a lot of the trail has been washed out and with the deep snow it was even more of a challenge to follow. At one point I ended up on a bolder field that seemed more like a mind field because a miss step could be a 4 foot deep void...
Yellow Springs is orange (lots of iron oxide?) and I had to cross it several times to get down.
http://img6.tinypic.info/files/d6arcpcvl77u9b7cnk92.jpg

J-Rod
03-03-2010, 20:15
i passed the trailhead today in port clinton...the path to the top is clear...but there is a good bit of snow at the top as far as i can see...

i hope it''s nice come sunday...i need to get out of this house

emerald
03-03-2010, 20:24
Could you see clear to Round Head?

J-Rod
03-04-2010, 09:08
you can see everything fine...but there is snow on the top of every hill...a few more days of nice weather and we should be good
i'm going out sunday for a day hike,...
next weekend i want to get out and do an overnight ...might be my last time till the fall to get one in (long story)

buff_jeff
03-04-2010, 10:10
I'm heading out with my brother on Sunday for Del Water Gap To Port Clinton. The weather seems to have been good enough the last 3-4 days and looks good for the next week. I'm hoping enough of the snow has melted. I don't mind a slog, just more concerned with snow deeper than 8-10", and ice.

emerald
03-04-2010, 16:47
Maybe Pennsylvania needs a mud season policy or to recommend alternative mud season hikes?

ki0eh
03-04-2010, 21:17
I thought the mud season policy was to have rocks to poke through the mud. :D

Or check http://www.kta-hike.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=48&Itemid=75

ki0eh
03-04-2010, 21:19
Or check http://www.kta-hike.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=48&Itemid=75

I meant http://www.kta-hike.org/images/PDF_Docs/Newsletters/Feb10supplement.pdf (didn't get my ckeck to Maine in time, can't edit anymore)

emerald
03-04-2010, 21:35
I thought the mud season policy was to have rocks to poke through the mud. :D

Well, yes, stepping stones are desirable where drainage is poor, hikers insist upon walking around mud and widening the treadway, but it takes someone to put them there.

shelterbuilder
03-04-2010, 23:15
MUD SEASON? NOT YET!!! I stopped by BMECC's cabin on the way home from work today - it's on the south side of the mountain near Rt. 501. There was STILL 8 inches or more of snow in most spots.

Snowshoes and crampons are still fashionable this week!:D Let's get out there and STOMP some trail!!!

J-Rod
03-04-2010, 23:44
MMmmm mud...love me some mud
i'll be out on the trail sunday for a day hike...and next weekend doing an overnight in the 183 area..not sure what direction yet...but i will be out there...

horicon
03-05-2010, 14:26
Mud Policy???? Stay on the rocks.

J-Rod
03-05-2010, 14:52
alittle mud is good for ya ....LOL

buff_jeff
03-05-2010, 15:17
alittle mud is good for ya ....LOL

Yeah, MA and VT were awesome last August. :D

J-Rod
03-06-2010, 00:31
Yeah, MA and VT were awesome last August. :D

Oh i bet...if it was anything like it was around here...i bet it was LOL

hal0ofwint3r
03-06-2010, 15:07
well if anybody gets out, they better go now. starting wednesday, it's going to be raining for five days straight.

hal0ofwint3r
03-06-2010, 15:10
i think that means i'm going to go out tomorrow for a few days. not sure where yet, 1azarus said snow shoes are still feasible, then some people said some areas don't have any snow. might be annoying to take them on and off all the time...

shelterbuilder
03-07-2010, 11:15
I was out yesterday at both the Rausch Gap Shelter and the William Penn Shelter, finishing up my annual shelter inspections. (William Penn is between Pa. 645 and Swatara Gap; Rausch Gap is between Swatara Gap and Pa. 325.)

The snow is getting old, folks...there are some places where it's already melted off on small patches, but for the most part, there's still 6 to 10 inches out there. 1azarus' entry in the Rausch Gap Shelter indicated that he used his snowshoes for only a mile or so...BUT REALLY NEEDED THEM at that point (probably coming down the mountain into Stony Valley near Rausch Gap). I didn't use mine going in to Rausch Gap (the access is mostly over a Game Lands snowmobile trail), but did use them going into William Penn. The snowpack will MOSTLY support a 225lb. load, but I just don't like post-holing....:rolleyes:

dirk
03-07-2010, 17:49
For 10 miles or so snowshoes req'd. 190# pushed through knee deep 75% by 10:00am. Even Shoeless Joe @ #135 was punchin through more than not.

HTH,
D

J-Rod
03-07-2010, 18:19
yeah i was out today and it was fine going up the Mnt...at the top it was a mess...alot of snow..i post holed in the one spot it was up ast my knees
i didn't stay out long ...we need a good 2 weeks of good weather to get rid of whats left

terralover67
03-08-2010, 04:15
We are definitely getting there! One or two more days a week with these temperatures and it's time to hit the trail! Looking forward to it. Pre-planning for April 18th-22nd for now. Hopefully old man winter will give us a break and retire for the year! :sun

http://fitness4busyfamilies.blogspot.com/

buff_jeff
03-12-2010, 20:17
Just got back from a 5 day Del Water Gap to 309 hike. Still lots of snow up there. The 7 miles before Wind Gap were brutal. We were the first ones through 2+ feet of snow. The rest was pretty bad, but the three of us and a few other hikers packed the snow down a good bit. I'd say another week or so and it'll be good to go.

simon
03-12-2010, 20:45
Anyone been near the Penn-Roosevelt state park area lately?

ki0eh
03-12-2010, 21:52

No but I'll be on KTA Trail Care near there next weekend (Mar 19-21) if you're looking for a report.

NativePennsylvanian
03-13-2010, 10:05

Yes, still some snow cover in the 7 mtns, mostly on the north faces and ridgetops. State forest roads are all over the place. Some still snow covered (enough to snowmobile on) some mixed and some just mud. All of this wind and rain will have everything sloppy and washed out for a while.

simon
03-13-2010, 21:55
Thanks, i was up today and checked it out. The rain has the area a mess. I'll try to do that section another time.