PDA

View Full Version : Another sleeping bag thread

LockJaww
02-18-2010, 12:44
OK...Instead of hijacking a previous thread I'll begin anew. I've researched sleeping bags until my head hurts. I thought I had decided just what I wanted/needed...a Golite Venture regular...Good reviews...good weight...and great price on sale....Bag arrived Tuesday...I slept in it last night...or attempted to...It was a nice clear night with an expected low of around 28 degrees....
Man this bag is SMALL !!!!.....My shoulders are apparently far wider than I thought...and it felt as as I was trying to sleep with my feet tied together. Bring my knees up?...Forget it.
So here I am back to square one. I live in a small town in Arizona...we have an outfitter but selection is limited....makes trying one on difficult. Phoenix is a 2 hour drive away....so online shopping is nice.
Any sugestions?....Im 5' 9" about 200 lbs...I wear size xl shirt...not sloppy fat ...but stocky/thick.
Does a "roomy" under 3ish pound bag exsist?...I'll go down or synthetic at this point if I can get comfortable in it.

The Will
02-18-2010, 12:53
http://featheredfriends.com/

Pacific Tortuga
02-18-2010, 12:59
http://featheredfriends.com/

If you have the money , everything is possible.

Love my F.F. Puffin semi/rec. On warmer nights opens to make a quilt like cover.
I would like to pick up a Western Moutaineering bag, compresses better.
Try to get the best shell you can too.

LockJaww
02-18-2010, 13:33
A Western Mountaineering Sycamore has been suggested....62" at the shoulders 46" at the foot...semi rectangle shape...right at 2 lbs.....unzips to make a quilt......Im liking the way this sounds....
Anybody have any first hand experience with one of these bags?....Thanks for the help....

Rick500
02-18-2010, 13:52
I'm just under 5' 10" and the Montbell UL Super Stretch Hugger (regular length) fits me just fine. It's stretchy (laterally) which makes moving around inside it easy.

I tend to sleep on my side, and it's fine for that.

I'm about 160 pounds...but I'd say it's stretchy enough that someone heavier than I am wouldn't have any problems either.

bigcranky
02-18-2010, 14:09
I like my wide cut WM mummies, but it sounds like you really need the Montbell UL Super Stretch Down Hugger, either #1 or #2. My wife has a #0 and a #3 and loves them both. She's a side-sleeping thrasher who likes to pull her knees up to her torso.

Mags
02-18-2010, 14:10
You really can't go wrong with a Western Mountaineering or Feathered Friends bag. A bit on the expensive side, but these bags last. I used my FF Hummingbird hard for 10 yrs. Only after all this use did I retire it (it is now about 30F bag).

I bought a GoLite bag at the warehouse sale and while it is warm, I do not find it is as well made as the FF bag. (And they retail for the same price! Glad I bought it quite discounted. :) )

skinewmexico
02-18-2010, 14:17
I bought a WM Megalite because it was 64". Fits nice.

tammons
02-18-2010, 14:30
IT depends on what you want, and how much you move around.

If you sleep on you back and never move a coffin bag is fine. I used to be able to sleep like that, but not any more.

I say if you are a side sleeper or have any intention of ever trying a hammock, get a top notch quilt. I have a golite ultra 20 and I love it. The only thing I would change is I think all quilts should have a flap for your head. The lighter weight, more compressability, more freedom of movement is what sold me

As far as sleeping bags, if I am stuck in a mummy sleeping bag in a tent for an extended period like in severe cold the last thing I want is something too congfineing which brings me to Montbell SS bags.
The most comfortable mummy sleeping bags I have ever used.

I am 6-3, 235 and I can sit up in a SS bag and cross my legs with it fully zipped.
I have not ever been able to do that with any other mummy bag.

skinewmexico
02-18-2010, 14:52
I should mention that I use my Golite Ultra 20 quite a bit too.

Sassafras Lass
02-22-2010, 19:25
Campmor is offering the Marmot Helium 15 for $299.98 right now (normally $369), it's listed at 82 x 31 x 20, pretty roomy. The Campmor 20 F bag (no model listed) is only $129.99 and seems to be a great bargain, 550 down fill, 38 oz., includes stuff sack, and 86 x 32 x 21.

It's interesting that you mentioned the GoLite Venture, they're pretty cheap right now and I was stuck between that and the Mountain Hardwear Phantom. I *think* I've decided on the Phantom, it's 3 oz. lighter and rated at 15 F instead of 20.