PDA

View Full Version : How old do you have to be to hike a section on the AT?

jp13
02-18-2010, 16:32
I want to hike a section of the AT with my friend next year. My mom wont let me. We will be 15 next year. Do you agree with her and if you don't how can I influence herto let us go?

KnittingMelissa
02-18-2010, 16:53
If your mother doesn't think you're experienced enough to be on the AT for a few days, with just a friend, then your mother gets to put her foot down and say no. When you're eighteen, then you get to ignore her.

The best way to convince her otherwise is to prove to her through your actions at home that you are mature and responsible enough to be allowed to go camping on your own, or with just a friend.

Old Grouse
02-18-2010, 16:59
Not that you should ignore her at 18. Never ignore your mother or father, sez me.

K2
02-18-2010, 17:00
Yeah, I agree with Mom. I think you need a trustworthy adult with you until you graduate from high school. I will just insult you if I go into all the reasons why. Anyway, I'm sure Mom's already told you. Sorry ~K2~

JustaTouron
02-18-2010, 17:07
I agree with mom too young.

SGT Rock
02-18-2010, 17:14
You and your mom know each other better than we know you. You will have to work it out with her. Ask her what you could do to prove you were mature enough to handle a hike and then work towards that goal.

Also, is your friend's family going with him. When I was your age I hiked the trail with my friends, but it was because my Grandfather was going hiking too and their parents trusted him.

bullseye
02-18-2010, 17:19
Why not try to go on some hikes closer to home. Maybe you'll be able to get an adult involved, and prove your abilities. I'm sure mom's not just concerned about the hike, but the distance from home, etc.

FWIW, Kirby's parents weren't too crazy about his thru hike, but in the end it all worked out. I know you're not talkin' thru, I'm just sayin'.

dmax
02-18-2010, 17:20
15 isn't too young. Ask your mom what her reason is. And do it without getting mad. Then come back and post about her answers and maybe we can help. Moms are alot more protective of their kids. She may not wamt you to do it when your 25 either. Moms are that way. Dads [or at least me] are alot more understanding if we're dealing with a mature and responsible teenager...Good Luck!!!

earlyriser26
02-18-2010, 17:23
I started hiking on the AT in 1969 at age 13 with another 13 year old. We of course thought we were very mature and had no problems on a 4 day hike. I am glad my parents let us go, but I have got to say they were crazy! Parents have the last say, but try to get one of your parents or another responsible adult to go along. You could also look into trail clubs or group hikes.

moytoy
02-18-2010, 17:25
JP.. If you want to get any positive input here you need to give us more information.
Given what you have ask and the way you ask it I fully agree that you should not be allowed to go without an experienced adult. Experience is the key word here.
I am not one to just say out of hand that anybody under a certain age can't hike alone. You need to be taught skills that will not just be automatic to you. You can learn about some of these skills here on this forum. Others will come with experience. Then you need to go on the trail with someone with the knowledge and ability to teach you.
You might consider joining a Boy Scout Troop. Thats when I started my hiking and I've been hiking ever since. And BTW ..I'm still learning something everday.

JustaTouron
02-18-2010, 17:29
Hiking isn't the only issue....how are two 15 year olds getting half way across the country by themselves?

GGS2
02-18-2010, 17:41
Time was, kids of your age were given a somewhat longer leash, and then they would stretch that leash to as far as it would go. Remarkably few kids killed themselves that way, but I think parents, moms in particular, are a lot less trusting now.

The AT is not that remarkable among trails except for its history and length. Why not try something more close at hand and see how that goes? Ask mom about an overnight somewhere near by, and then see how far you can stretch it. Bit by bit. Then when you get to be of age, you might actually be ready for a section of a long trail.

Bear in mind that there are costs and skills involved as well. Most section hikers here have spent a couple of thousand dollars on equipment, food and transport. They have also mostly accumulated some experience in using that stuff and not getting into too much trouble out there on the trail. Put it together piece by piece and you'll get there eventually.

sasquatch2014
02-18-2010, 17:43
Tell your mom it would be a great family activity and get her involved pick an area where she would like to go and maybe even a spot where she can hike part of it and then jump ahead and meet you to camp that night the best of both worlds type of thing.

The idea of finding a local trail club as well is a great one. Keep in mind it is not a matter of a parents trust in the kid but sometimes their trust in the rest of the folks the kids run into.

wcgornto
02-18-2010, 17:46
I came across a couple of 18 year old SOBOs last year. Both strong hikers who completed the trail. I cam across a younger NOBO (16 or 17), but he was hiking with an adult.

jesse
02-18-2010, 18:14
...The best way to convince her otherwise is to prove to her through your actions at home that you are mature and responsible enough to be allowed to go camping on your own, or with just a friend.

What she said.

Appalachian Tater
02-18-2010, 18:33
15 is definitely not too young but I can understand your mother not wanting you doing the A.T. far from home. There are some FANTASTIC trails right there in Michigan--I have been looking at some of them myself, so you should consider something closer to home, that might help persuade your mother.

Another option is to get ask your mother to come along with you.

You can also wait until you finish high school and do a complete thru-hike. You might even be able to start during high school like Kirby did. That would give you time to work to save money to pay for it.

Of course, you can always threaten to get a motorcycle if she won't let you do it, but that might have the opposite effect. :sun

JAK
02-18-2010, 20:16
I want to hike a section of the AT with my friend next year. My mom wont let me. We will be 15 next year. Do you agree with her and if you don't how can I influence herto let us go?I always agree with Moms.

Best way to influence her is to prove yourself on dayhikes, until she is comfortable with you doing overnights. Then do overnights until she is comfortable with you doing weekends. Then do weekends until she is comfortable with you doing a week. It's a natural process. Because of Mom's we push the envelop a little slower than we might otherwise, but that's a good thing.

Being responsible in other ways speaks volumes also.

mweinstone
02-18-2010, 20:20
had a note in my pocket at 14 that said,"to whom it may concern, my son matthew weinstone has my permission to hitchike between philadelphia and the appalachian trail for the pourpose of backpacking" elaine weinstone.

sbhikes
02-18-2010, 20:31
When I was a teen, I went on backpack trips with my church youth group. (Backpacking was the cool thing to do back in the 70s.) If you go to church, maybe you can organize a trip with a responsible adult and some other kids. It's really a lot more fun that way when you let the adults worry about all the nit-picky stuff and you just get to go out there and have fun.

Spirit Walker
02-18-2010, 20:55
Parents these days hear so many stories of bad things happening they get freaked out fairly easily at the thought of their kids taking unnecessary risks. When you hear of adults getting killed by bad people or injured by an accident or lost in a snowstorm, it can be hard to let your kids face some of the risks. Especially if you aren't comfortable in the backcountry yourself.

You might be able to convince your mom to let you and your friend go out on overnight hikes in your area. Check in with your cell phone and make sure she knows exactly where you're going. Then stick with the plan, as much as possible. As you gain experience, she may become comfortable with you going out on longer hikes. You will need to prove to her that you are level-headed enough to handle unexpected problems. And that takes time and experience. Start small and build up.

My husband was a boy scout. His troop went out on hikes without leaders and eventually went on a 50 mile trip. But they did training hikes and overnight trips frequently before their big trip. And that was a long time ago. If you have a youth group or can create a youth group, your mother may find it easier to let you try backpacking trips.

leaftye
02-18-2010, 20:56
My experience is that even being 31 years old is too young to get a mothers approval to do a long hike. Good luck.

sasquatch2014
02-18-2010, 21:44
My experience is that even being 31 years old is too young to get a mothers approval to do a long hike. Good luck.

At 41 I still need to work the angle, but now it's to get help with after school pickup and stuff for my kids.

Don H
02-18-2010, 22:50
I first hiked the AT when I was 12 years old in 1970. Went with a bunch of kids my age too, we were in Boy Scouts and went hiking all the time. Maybe you could look into joining a Scout troop that does a lot of hiking. Some troops do more hiking than others so check out different troops and their camping schedules. You might meet new friends, get to hike and learn some useful skills.

WalkingStick75
02-18-2010, 23:18
I know of a scout troop in Howell that is very active, they hiked the Grand Canyon last year. PM me if you want more information.

prain4u
02-19-2010, 02:20

I knew an 80 year old guy who was living in the same nursing home as his (very alert) 101 year-old mother. He had a problem with severe diabetes. On this one particular day, he was refusing to eat all of the proper things during his meal. The nursing home staff could not convince him to eat. So, his mother scolded him by saying: "Stanley, why don't you go to your room for a while and THINK ABOUT IT!" Stanley headed to his room. A while later, he came back to the dining room and ate everything on his plate!

So, even at age 80, we sometimes have to deal with our moms setting the rules! You are just going to have to accept that as being a part of life! Mom's never cease being "mom". :)

Reid
02-19-2010, 09:10
Life will come soon enough.

Roche
02-19-2010, 10:56
From the information you have given, your mom is correct. Remember, the AT isn't going anywhere - it will be still be there when you are no longer a minor. Good luck and good hiking.

Wrangler88
02-19-2010, 12:23
Came across two young guys (I'd say 13 - 15) in Monson this past summer that were section hiking. They were staying at Shaw's but headed north. Their grandpa had been letting them hike by themselves everyday and then he would meet them at a road crossing or at a shelter near a road.

However he decided he was going to let them hike the 100 mile wilderness completely on their own after that. And so I guess that's what they did. So I guess it can be done.

Or they might have got lost and were never heard from again. Who knows?
Better listen to your mom. I think that age is a little too young. At least it would have been for me. Maybe you're a lot more mature than most of the 15 year olds now days.

Pringles
02-19-2010, 12:31
See if your Mom will go with you. You might end up with a hiking partner for life! Last year during my section hike, I ran into a thru whose mom was joining him for a few days. I don't remember his name, but her name was Orange Dust (stuck in my head because it sounded like a Vegas dancer... if I remember correctly, it had something to do with cheetos dust). Anyway, they seemed to be having a wonderful time together. And you can be that after she went home, she knew exactly what kinds of things to send in mail drops.

As to going without your Mom's ok... I finally managed to go alone after my father died and my mom got Alzheimers, until then, they pestered me about who I was with and, GASP, "You didn't go ALONE did you?"

Love the story about the nursing home mother/son duo.

bpitt
02-19-2010, 12:45
Dude, remember most and foremost that your mom loves you. Hence, her decisions. Honour thy mother and thy father. Do what she says. I have two daughters, the oldest has been begging me to take her on a section hike, but I haven't, yet.

She's been doing day trips and such, getting used to being on the trail. During spring break we plan on doing an overnighter in the smokies. I think she'll be ready for that then.

Anyway, however you feel, please do what your mom says. It's okay to be upset, but understand.

Lyle
02-19-2010, 12:45
I agree with several others. Fifteen is not, in and of itself, too young. A 15 year old (or a pair of 'em) with experience and maturity, could do fine. On the other hand, a 15 year old (or a pair of 'em) who lack decent experience, common sense and maturity have no business traveling that far from home and supervision on their own.

You gave us no indication of your experience, or general level of maturity. What is your Mom's opinion of the friend you will be going with? - plays a big part. What are your Mom's specific objections? Have you asked? Some might be arguable, but not without a lot more information. Plus, you have a year to change her mind about those objections, if you work at it.

As others have said, your Mom knows you a whole lot better than any of us, so all of us will probably defer to her opinion, unless you can really convince us that you are deserving. Even then, she gets the final say.

Good luck, 18 isn't that far away. Really, it isn't. At 18 you should still listen to and consider her opinion and advise, but you also gain the stature of an adult, and as such can demand that she needs to bend also.

Good luck, and if any of us can be of any assistance in informing your Mom about the trail and trail community, all you have to do is ask, or, better yet, get your Mom on here and have her ask.

The trail will be there when you're ready for it. Do some hikes in Michigan if you haven't. I can give you some suggestions if you need them.

jp13
02-19-2010, 13:05
I think I have plenty of experience. I hiked the White Mtn. Range in New Hampshire with my dad and my friend hiked Isle Royal National Park with his dad and uncle. I also do plenty oof day hikes with my dad.

Lyle
02-19-2010, 13:25
I think I have plenty of experience. I hiked the White Mtn. Range in New Hampshire with my dad and my friend hiked Isle Royal National Park with his dad and uncle. I also do plenty oof day hikes with my dad.

"Plenty" of experience is a relative term. :D

It does sound like you aren't a complete novice though. What does your Dad think? He was the one who hiked with you. Did he have to push and prod you to do what was necessary to do the hike? Or did you learn what was necessary and run with it? How long ago was that trip? Same questions for your friend.

How mature are you in other areas of your life? Your big responsibility is school right now. How's that going? Your folks have to push and hound, or do you take care of business and take responsibility yourself? Keep yourself out of trouble at school? After school?

Are you involved in other activities? Do you take on leadership roles, or are you perfectly content to follow along and just coast?

I'm not trying to pick on you or belittle you in any way, but we don't know you and these are the type things that would make an adult sit up and say, "Yeah, this kid could handle an unexpected situation if one developed"

That is really what it probably comes down to. Have you proven yourself to have that maturity and level-headedness?

Right now, you have to take some time, write up a response that honestly looks at these things, and assesses your own experience (not a bad start, can still pad that some more in the next year), maturity, and responsibility. If nothing else, it will help you to come up with some respectful arguments you can present to your Mom.

Also ask your Mom if you could do up a "contract" or agreement. You accomplish this and that over the next year, in return she will agree to honestly re-evaluate your proposal next spring.

Again, if she has any questions, try to get her here to ask.

Good luck, but listen to Mom.

unclemjm
02-19-2010, 13:26
I knew an 80 year old guy who was living in the same nursing home as his (very alert) 101 year-old mother. He had a problem with severe diabetes. On this one particular day, he was refusing to eat all of the proper things during his meal. The nursing home staff could not convince him to eat. So, his mother scolded him by saying: "Stanley, why don't you go to your room for a while and THINK ABOUT IT!" Stanley headed to his room. A while later, he came back to the dining room and ate everything on his plate!

So, even at age 80, we sometimes have to deal with our moms setting the rules! You are just going to have to accept that as being a part of life! Mom's never cease being "mom". :)

Great story and thank God that Mom's never cease being "mom". :)

See if your Mom will go with you. You might end up with a hiking partner for life!

Great idea and if she goes and you can show her what you are capable of, permission might come easier on the next one.

or

She may be asking to go with you on that next one.

pfann
02-19-2010, 15:36
I think I know what jp's dad thinks (seeing that I am his dad, I definitely know what he thinks)

1. When mom says he is too young, it's an uphill battle to change her mind.

2. Any chance of changing mom's mind will disappear the more you ask her about it.

3. The ONLY chance of mom relenting is to show her you have the requisite skills, maturity, and responsibility to accomplish a 50 mile hike. At this point it hasn't been fully demonstrated.

4. jp has some experience, although I don't think I would describe it as "plenty". See point 3 above.

5. If he wanted to go in 2013 when he graduates high school, I would be 100% behind him on that one.

6. I have encouraged the lad to get back into scouts (he lasted one year) so he could go on lots of hikes and learn more skills and develop a greater sense of responsibility (also so dad could go on more hikes)

I think that most of these points have been posted by many of you also,
My son is at that age now (14) that he has decided his old man is an idiot. My hope is that by the time he turns 25 I will be smart again!:D

Being at this stage of life I have noticed that other folks can tell my son exactly what I told him and he hears it a little better. That's why I encouraged him to post this question here.

He is a good kid and I am very proud of his hiking enthusiasm and I would not be surprised if he accomplishes a thru in the future.

Just for the record, in 2011 I am planning to go on a section hike as part of a bigger program and he will be in school, so he won't be able to go with me. We are in the process of planning some weekend and a section hike between now and August. I didn't want anyone thinking I didn't want to go hiking with my son.

One last point, we have encouraged mom to get out on some hikes and she is receptive to the idea (BIG step forward for mom-I am very proud/excited:banana)

pfann

Sly
02-19-2010, 15:42
Hiking isn't the only issue....how are two 15 year olds getting half way across the country by themselves?

You serious? I took a bus to Toronto to go to hockey camp when I was younger, and hitched cross country (Canada and US) when I was 17.

chefjason
02-19-2010, 15:53
You serious? I took a bus to Toronto to go to hockey camp when I was younger, and hitched cross country (Canada and US) when I was 17.
That don't mean it was a good idea!

I am a father of a 16 yr old and there is not a chance that I would let her drive/hitch/bus or whatever across multiple states to hike a trail. To the OP, patience is part of the growing up process. Let mom be protective and raise you with a feeling of security. Let time work its course and when mom/dad/gaurdian feels they can release the world onl you, then so-be-it. But trust us who have been there done that, the world is meaner and harder than you think it is. The trail and the animal there on are NOT the things to be worried about here. It's the "animals" along the way that scare parents.

So says the man working at a C.I. feeding thousands of "animals" a day.:eek:

JustaTouron
02-19-2010, 15:58
6. I have encouraged the lad to get back into scouts (he lasted one year) so he could go on lots of hikes and learn more skills and develop a greater sense of responsibility (also so dad could go on more hikes)

My son is at that age now (14) that he has decided his old man is an idiot. My hope is that by the time he turns 25 I will be smart again!:D

All I know about you and your son is what you two have posted.

But when I was your son's age I was in scouts. My dad wanted to go on the hikes. I told him no. This caused some fights but eventually he gave in. I was not insisting, as your son is suggesting, that I be able to go off without any adult supervision, but I did want some time away from my own parents and family.

It is possible, if your son is anything like me, that he would be more inclined to do scouts if dad wasn't one of the chaperones/troop leaders.

Lyle
02-19-2010, 16:01
Well JP13, I guess you have your answer. You need to do a bit more proving and gain some more experience. I would tend to agree with the latter, nice start, not enough at your age to expect to go out alone for an extended hike.

Does sound like your Dad is in you corner about an eventual hike, just not ready yet. That's a good thing, having your folks looking out for you. Hiking can be serious business, since not all circumstances can be anticipated, and you will have to rely on your wits. Follow your Dad's advice, drag him on some more hikes, do some without him but in a group, and be patient.

weary
02-19-2010, 16:04
I rode my bike (single speed) 110 miles to camp and hike in the White Mountains at age 14. Two 15 year olds and a 16-year-old were on the ride also. We took a longer route through the mountains on the way home 10 days later (135 miles.)

Kids are too coddled these days in my opinion. Some parents even object to letting their teengagers take hour long day hikes in our land trust preserves by themselves. Though they don't object to them driving far more dangerous ATVs over our walking only trails. We have grown a strange culture with a strange set of priorities in recent decades.

However, having said that, parents ultimately have the last word. So keep the pressure up by arguing the safety of what you are planning, and demonstrating your personal responsibility. I wish far more 14-year-olds were interested in backpacking.

As for the ability to travel across country at that "young" age. My grandson, then age 9, flew to Maine from California by himself the summer we walked together the 260 miles between Grafton Notch and Katahdin.

Weary

Turtle Feet
02-19-2010, 16:10
I started hiking on the AT in 1969 at age 13 with another 13 year old. We of course thought we were very mature and had no problems on a 4 day hike. I am glad my parents let us go, but I have got to say they were crazy! Parents have the last say, but try to get one of your parents or another responsible adult to go along. You could also look into trail clubs or group hikes.

...and the world was a different place 39 years ago. :)

I'm a mom of 3 boys, now 27, 22, and 19 (today's his 'golden birthday!). My two youngest have camped and hiked with me since they were 7 & 10. Even with that much experience WITH me, I would not have felt comfortable letting either of the section hike without me at 15yo.

It's not because your mom doesn't love you - it's because she DOES! She loves you so much, she couldn't bare the thought of anything bad happening to you. :eek: I know that sounds very corny, but in a nutshell, that's her reason (us mom's know these things). :cool:

Would I 'let' my kids do a section hike now? - yep! At what age would I have let them go for the first time?... the 19yo, probably last year (at 18), the 22 yo, probably around 17 or 18, he's more mature than my youngest.

As others have said - it's a maturity level, yes, but the truth is, the part of the human brain that makes critcal thinking decisions is not fully developed at 15. It's not you JP, it's just the way we humans are wired.

Thank goodness that you have a mom that loves you as much as she does. :banana

Roche
02-19-2010, 16:51
The issue is not about hiking - it's about a minor obeying their parent. Your mom will always be your parent - but you will not always be a minor. As hard as it may seem, many of us wish we were in your shoes. You have your best hiking days ahead of you.

Mags
02-19-2010, 19:20
Not that you should ignore her at 18. Never ignore your mother or father, sez me.

I'd still be in Rhode Island if I hadn't ignored my parents. :sun And my Mom has super-duper powers of Catholic guilt, too!

My hope is that by the time he turns 25 I will be smart again!:D

pfann

...and on that note, my Dad seemed awfully smart by the I was about 25. :D

(Mom? Love her dearly...but I'd be living next door to her if she had her way. ;) )

prain4u
02-20-2010, 00:48
Kids are too coddled these days in my opinion.......

I both agree with you--and disagree with you.

Many parents are just TOO involved in their kids' lives and just too darn overprotective. We call them "helicopter parents"--because they tend to hover over their children at all times. If those parents had their way, they would wrap their kids in foam rubber and in bubble wrap 24/7--in order to protect the kids from experiencing any type of physical or emotional injury. They need to back off and let their kids grow up--at least a little bit. (Heck, many schools have outlawed tag, dodgeball--and elections for things like class president--lest someone get their body or their emotions hurt!)

On the other hand, we probably can't go back to the relatively "carefree" days of my childhood either. It is a far different (and more dangerous) world than when I was a teenager back in the 1970's. I certainly wouldn't be willing to let my kids do some of the independent things that I did as a teen. Heck, I would be anxious about doing some of those same things today--even at my age. The world has changed.

There are more "nuts" out there today than in 1975. If nothing else, their crazy behavior is much better advertised than it was 30 years ago, so it raises the anxiety factor for parents. Schools are more dangerous today (Columbine, Virginia Tech etc). Work places are more dangerous (The recent faculty meeting killing in Alabama, the Ft. Hood shooter, a plane flying into the IRS building in Austin). People even get shot during worship services at churches. In the past, people simply committed suicide. Now they tend to take a few more people with them when they decide to die.

So, I both agree with you--and disagree with you--when yo say the kids today are "too coddled". Sadly, it is too dangerous today to give MOST kids the same freedom and independence that we had when we were children. On the other hand, "helicopter parenting" is ridiculous and should be outlawed!

Reid
02-20-2010, 02:28
There is a difference between being independent and being rebellious.

Reid
02-20-2010, 02:33
What happened to the good ole days when kids worked in factories?

Marta
02-20-2010, 08:46
Prain4u--I think the main increase in danger to children since we were kids in the 70's is the increased car traffic...a lot of which comes from parents driving their kids around instead of letting them walk or bike to school. When school isn't in session, traffic in Charlotte drops by close to half.

Sly
02-20-2010, 10:31
There are more "nuts" out there today than in 1975. If nothing else, their crazy behavior is much better advertised than it was 30 years ago, so it raises the anxiety factor for parents. Schools are more dangerous today (Columbine, Virginia Tech etc). Work places are more dangerous (The recent faculty meeting killing in Alabama, the Ft. Hood shooter, a plane flying into the IRS building in Austin). People even get shot during worship services at churches. In the past, people simply committed suicide. Now they tend to take a few more people with them when they decide to die.

The world may be a more dangerous place but that doesn't mean we should all stop living. With your examples the kid shouldn't go to school, church or work either. The kid is 15 and the relatively speaking, AT is safer than the mall.

Blissful
02-20-2010, 10:34
There is a difference between being independent and being rebellious.

Absolutely.....

right on

And I was just reading today the passage - Honor your mother and father (so it will go well with you).
No age given either.

DawnTreader
02-20-2010, 13:00
Man oh man.. its a shame how much parents have changed. For some good reasons, I think parents have a really really difficult time letting their children screw up/wander/get into trouble.... Parents these days would rather see their children in front of the tv then outside.. Let your kids go outside and PLAY! Bad things happen all the time.... Your child is safer on the AT then they would be spending the night at their friends house raiding parents medicine cabinets, being bored, watching television, smoking dad's pot ect.
How quickly our society has changed the criteria for being a Man....
We forget that many 15 year old boys/Men have fought and died for our country in foriegn wars and on our own land... Why so overprotective now?
I will feel differently when I have children I'm sure.. however, I would defenitley let my mature responsible 15 year old go on a section hike of the AT alone, but I would be very dissapointed if he didn't invite me to go along !!!!

JustaTouron
02-20-2010, 13:32
I will feel differently when I have children

Exactly! :sun

Shiraz-mataz
02-20-2010, 13:41
I have a fifteen year old son and wish he were interested in hiking. The thought of sending him out on the trail for a few days scares me a whole lot less than the very real prospect of handing him the keys to a ton of metal and having him drive it around amongst other people who are driving their own tons of metal while texting and scrolling through the playlists on their iPods...!!! Trust, whether it be behind the wheel of a car or out on a trail, is earned by demsonstrating your own preparation and maturity. Perhaps there's a reason your mother has not granted you that level of trust. As others have said, show her that you are ready but be willing to abide by her "no" vote.

AUhiker90
02-20-2010, 14:02
I was out hiking alone when I was that age. Just tell her that its better for you to be out on the trail than at some party or a concert of sorts. The AT is one of the friendliest and safest places I know as long as you know what you doing.

weary
02-20-2010, 14:40
I both agree with you--and disagree with you.

Many parents are just TOO involved in their kids' lives and just too darn overprotective. We call them "helicopter parents"--because they tend to hover over their children at all times. If those parents had their way, they would wrap their kids in foam rubber and in bubble wrap 24/7--in order to protect the kids from experiencing any type of physical or emotional injury. They need to back off and let their kids grow up--at least a little bit. (Heck, many schools have outlawed tag, dodgeball--and elections for things like class president--lest someone get their body or their emotions hurt!)

On the other hand, we probably can't go back to the relatively "carefree" days of my childhood either. It is a far different (and more dangerous) world than when I was a teenager back in the 1970's. I certainly wouldn't be willing to let my kids do some of the independent things that I did as a teen. Heck, I would be anxious about doing some of those same things today--even at my age. The world has changed.

So, I both agree with you--and disagree with you--when yo say the kids today are "too coddled". Sadly, it is too dangerous today to give MOST kids the same freedom and independence that we had when we were children. On the other hand, "helicopter parenting" is ridiculous and should be outlawed!
Certainly, the dangers are more publicized than ever before. But I'm not convinced that society is more dangerous today than it was in the past. The overwhelming evidence is that things are safer now than they were two decades ago in the big cities. Murders, violent crimes, burglaries are all down.

Small towns where I live in Maine are also safer than they were a few decades ago, and I know of no evidence that they are really more dangerous than when I grew up here in the 30s and 40s. I haven't locked doors on my house since I bought it in 1962 -- except for a couple of weeks two decades ago. Someone had walked in and stolen a couple of items of my stereo gear. I was paranoid for a few days. But I got over it.

I wander the same woods I did as an 8-year-old. The only change is that I walk slower and see fewer walkers. I do wear blaze orange during big game seasons, something no one did in the 40s..

I haven't locked a car door since someone broke into my beatup old Buick every night for a week. I was a teenager living by myself in Chicago. I decided the best way to avoid further damage was to just leave the doors unlocked. It worked so well, that 65 years later I've never resumed the door locking practice.

Weary

Feral Bill
02-20-2010, 14:55
A hundred or so years ago my grandfather and another 15 year old immigrated to the U.S. on their own.

I started backpacking independently in the New York area (mainly Harriman SP) at the same age, hitching and taking the buss to and from.

Fifteen year olds are not babies. They need to get out in the world.

There are risks, but there are risks in keeping them always in sight too.

pfann
02-21-2010, 11:24
I was not insisting, as your son is suggesting, that I be able to go off without any adult supervision, but I did want some time away from my own parents and family.

It is possible, if your son is anything like me, that he would be more inclined to do scouts if dad wasn't one of the chaperones/troop leaders.

This is a good point and something I tried to keep in mind. I did not go on every event. He went to several things on his own and I went to a few things. On events I attended I made a conscious effort to be around other adults and let him go running around with his friends.

pfann
02-21-2010, 11:32
Certainly, the dangers are more publicized than ever before. But I'm not convinced that society is more dangerous today than it was in the past. The overwhelming evidence is that things are safer now than they were two decades ago in the big cities. Murders, violent crimes, burglaries are all down.

Weary

I agree the dangers are much more publicized than ever before. the internet and 24 hour news channels have made sure the nation sees every police chase in California and every bus crash in Argentina.

I think the cumulative effect has been to give people the impression that the world is an awfulr place.

That being said, I believe my son has to show the requsisite skills, maturity, and responsibility to go on his own for a week, and he's not wuite there yet. Close, but not yet. We will see what happens in the next year.

weary
02-21-2010, 12:34
Parents have a decade, perhaps a year or two more, to influence their kids. In my experience (3 kids and a lot of camping, hiking, and canoeing together) by the early teens the best parents can hope for is to nudge them from time to time into more wisdom and judgment.

Looking back, I would have been far more pleased had they insisted on a 50 mile backpack at age 15, rather than some of the things they did do at that age and later.

Weary

Bear Cables
02-21-2010, 16:22
I think you need to consider what your experience and trail knowlege are. Are you active in a hiking group? Scouts? What kind of wilderness training have you had. LNT? Survival skills? As a mom of hikers I would not have said yes to my 15 yo sons going it alone. I did allow my 16 yo son to go on a 3 day canoe trip with his 19 yo brother but by then they were both very good in the outdoors. Moms for the most part do know best. Would she or another adult be willing to go with you?

Wise Old Owl
02-21-2010, 16:25
I want to hike a section of the AT with my friend next year. My mom wont let me. We will be 15 next year. Do you agree with her and if you don't how can I influence herto let us go?

I have been hiking the AT since sometime before the age of thirteen, have a relative go with you or with a group hike. Have her pick up you up at the end if it becomes important.

Graywolf
02-21-2010, 16:37
Here i smy 2 cents. I would begin to research equipment and get your mom involved..If she sees your serious about it and involve her, she might change her thinking..Also, look at some trail journals @ www.trailjournals.com (http://www.trailjournals.com) that invloves teenagers..Read thhem together..When your mom sees that, seh once again may change her reasoning...

My folks wouldnt even let me join the Boy Scouts..Isnt that a shame..

Graywolf

Mags
02-21-2010, 17:46
At 15 yo, I was working full time during the summer and part-time during the school year. So was most of my peer group.

Hiking sounds like more fun... ;)

prain4u
02-22-2010, 01:22
I stand (somewhat) corrected.

I spent time tonight researching U.S. crime and violence statistics (particularly crimes with child and teenage victims).

Crime rates (including crimes with young victims) were relatively stable in the 1970's, 1980s and the 2000s. Violence on school property has also remained relatively stable over those same periods.

However, the perception that the world is a "more dangerous place" does have some significant basis in fact. The 1990s saw significantly more violent crime in the U.S.. (In some instances, violent crime was almost 50% higher in the 1990s than the 1970's). However, violent crime has dropped again in the 2000s (back to the 1970s levels). Crimes on school property have followed similar trends. Schools were more violent in the 1990s.

Many people (myself included) are unaware that the violent crime levels have dropped so significantly in recent years. I am sure this can be partially attributed to the way in which violent crimes are given such prominent visibility in the press.

Two interesting notes: Crime in rural areas HAS generally increased in recent decades. (I have spent most of my life in rural areas. This is another reason why I probably see the world as being a more dangerous place). Furthermore, if you grew up in the U.S. during the 1940s, 1950s, and 1960s--violent crime was significantly lower back then than at any other time in recorded U.S. history. Your typical U.S. neighborhood WAS indeed a safer place in the 1940s-1960s.

prain4u
02-22-2010, 01:36
Much of the increase in crime (and violent crime) in rural areas can be attributed to one factor: methamphetamine.

MOST drugs tend to flow from the CITIES into the rural areas. Meth (and to some degree, cannabis) are the two drugs that tend to be manufactured (or grown) in larger amounts in rural areas and flow into the cities.

Meth was a big thing in the 1990s. Its popularity dropped a bit in the mid-2000s (while many of the bigger manufacturers and addicts were spending time in prison). As these people complete their prison sentences and return to the community, meth use is on the rise again.

Doctari
02-22-2010, 01:42
To a 15 year old, 3 years is "FOREVER". 1/5th as long as they have been alive.

As a parent, I would have had difficulty letting my 15 year old solo or even go with a same age friend. Bear in mind, mom (& dad, & grandparents, & etc) as hard as it is to believe, were 15 once too. They understand what that age is like. Be patient, or find a responsible adult to go with you.

And, as mentioned above, I am a bit over 15 & my mom still worries when I am on the AT for weeks at a time. I have been married more than twice as long as you have been around, & mom still worries about me.

The AT will still be there in 3 years, AND: you will be able to sign in at a motel, admit yourself to a hospital (Yea, I know), & all that other stuff adults want from you. You may be mature & experienced now, but in an emergency, not in the eyes of the law.

FWIW: I tried to get my parents to let me go at age 10, so I DO understand!!

Tuckahoe
02-22-2010, 07:11
jp13,

There is not much that I can add that has not already been said. How much freedom you gain depends very much on how much maturity you display.