PDA

View Full Version : Standing Bear Farm Info?

grrickar
09-27-2004, 14:40
I am looking to leave Hot Springs, NC at sunrise on Oct4th, with the intention of making Standing Bear Farm in two days. From the guide I was looking at, either I would have to stay at Roaring Fork Shelter (which I think is 14-15miles the first day) and then have a 18+ mile day to Standing Bear. Does that sound correct? It looks like Max Patch is about halfway between Hot Springs and Standing Bear, would that be an option?

smokymtnsteve
09-27-2004, 14:43
yep.the summit of max patch is awesome.

http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=50926

there is a spring just north of the summit.

manzana
09-27-2004, 15:13
I did this exact hike 2 years ago. I stayed at roaring fork the first night. It is over 5000 feet of climbing to get to Lemon Gap the first day and I was pooped. But I got Mountain Mama to take me up the day I left and I hid my pack at Lemon Gap so I didnt have to lug it up from Hot Springs. It made me a bit paranoid all day but it worked like a champ. I think the 2nd day will be pretty tough but OK if you are in shape. This is a great trip and I envy you.

APPLE in AUSTIN

Uncle Wayne
09-28-2004, 06:20
Maybe we'll see each other. We'll be at one of these two places on the night of the 4th if weather permits. My daughter is going with us on this section (her first) and as unbelievable as it may be, is slower than Tripper and I. In any case good luck on your hike.

Flash Hand
09-28-2004, 07:56
If your going to the summit of Max Patch, be sure to bring kite and tighten your cap.

Flash Hand :jump