PDA

View Full Version : how to choose the right gear for a through hike

fish the banks
02-18-2010, 17:27
http://www.ehow.com/how_5975762_choose-appalachian-trail-spending-much.html

Roughin' It
02-18-2010, 18:55
a very basic 'how to' for people who have not done any research i guess.

It could be more informative if you were to list some examples of gear do's and dont's.

Tinker
02-18-2010, 22:29
Use what works for a weekend hike in the same conditions.
Carry a bigger food bag.
Have money in the bank.
Change gear as you see fit while you hike.
It's really a no brainer for anyone who has hiked ANY distance.

ALSO: Try ALL new gear at home or near your car before heading off into the woods with it.
Assume that EVERYTHING will eventually become, at the least, damp. TRY, TRY, TRY to keep your sleeping gear (bag, pad, and clothing) as dry as possible.
Every year I see lots of hikers with their ccf pads on the outside of their packs. While they don't absorb water, they hold it on their surface. Dry them before you throw your bag on them. End of my $.02.

Cool AT Breeze
02-18-2010, 23:31
Bring me 1500.00 and I'll get you on the trail under 30 pounds and comfortable. Not as fun as collecting gear, but cheaper.

SGT Rock
02-18-2010, 23:43
Bring me 1500.00 and I'll get you on the trail under 30 pounds and comfortable. Not as fun as collecting gear, but cheaper.

Or they can show up there 3 days into their hike and spend that anyway, plus shipping to send their other gear home LOL :rolleyes:

Cool AT Breeze
02-19-2010, 00:28
True dat...

fiddlehead
02-19-2010, 01:36
One persons opinion.
Certainly not mine.

No canister stoves? Why not?
Multi-fuel stove instead? ???

One pair of boots the whole way? What Limmers? No thanks.

$300+ each for most of your gear (big 4)? I've only ever spent anywhere near that much for one item and the was my sleeping bag.
Everything else: less than $100 each.

sorry, of course it's the old gear argument and I shouldn't even be here, but...........
I think some of those statements and advice are not .......(never mind, i'll try to be nice)

Why not just point your readers to whiteblaze and let them see other philosophies?

Helios
02-19-2010, 06:29

Does the "under 30 pounds" include food/water?

I completely respect your opinion, trust me. So I'm concerned considering I'm starting my thru March 9th with 27lbs that includes 4 days food and 2 qts water. Guess I'll be spending more time than expected at Neel Gap. :-? See ya' about the 11th, hopefully early a.m. - Can I place a pre-order for a cup of coffee and a gear shakedown for that day?

Bronk
02-19-2010, 07:20

I wouldn't spend more than a little over a third of that on all of my gear if I were starting over from scratch.

Mags
02-19-2010, 14:42
My humble contribution that may work. :)

http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php/Backpacking-and-Hiking-documents/A-Quicky-and-Dirty-Guide-to-the-Appalachian-Trail.html

Roughin' It
02-19-2010, 17:52
I wouldn't spend more than a little over a third of that on all of my gear if I were starting over from scratch.

Now I'm curious about what your basic gear list would be for $500, starting over from scratch... i have spent about $2,000 on gear, which includes every little thing. Granted I have bought some top of the line gear...

Trailbender
02-19-2010, 19:28
Now I'm curious about what your basic gear list would be for $500, starting over from scratch... i have spent about $2,000 on gear, which includes every little thing. Granted I have bought some top of the line gear...

Yeah, starting from scratch, with what I know now, my gear list would be much cheaper as well. I can make a lot of the things I bought, and all of my gear is heavily modified. For an example of cheap, my stove is a potted meat can with holes in it, and my water bottle is an old powerade bottle. I did get a 2L platy for camp, but I would just use a half gal gatorade jug if I had to redo. If I had to do a redo, my only expensive stuff would be a sleeping bag and pack. I have a thermarest ccf pad, but the 5 dollar wally world special is just as good. An industrial lawn bag makes a decent poncho. I have a campmor one and it is great, but I would use a garbage bag on a redo. Food bags, I use a stuff sack, I would use plastic grocery bags. I spent a good bit on gear, less than a lot of people. I don't regret it because I learned a lot, but I know a lot of cheaper ways of doing things now.

Mags
02-21-2010, 18:22
Yeah, starting from scratch, with what I know now, my gear list would be much cheaper as well.

"Experience is a great teacher, but the tuition is high"

I think of all the gear I bought and swapped out over the years and I want to cry. ;)

sbhikes
02-21-2010, 19:46
I say choose your gear after you read Ray Jardine's book. You don't have to go to the same extreme he does, but you should seriously consider everything he says. With the exception of corn pasta. That stuff is nasty.

BrianLe
02-21-2010, 23:44
"I say choose your gear after you read Ray Jardine's book."

I'd go with Ryan Jordan's book myself, Lightweight Backpacking and Camping (http://www.ryanjordan.com/weblog/2005/10/lightweight_bac.html). There's more to dispute with Jardine than just corn pasta. For example, I tried sleeping with my feet higher than my head and definitely don't care for it ... nice at a break, but not overnight.

I'm not saying not to read Jardine --- interesting stuff, thought-provoking, but I personally wouldn't suggest it as a first-read. For folks who want something a bit easier (quicker read), than Jordan, try Don Ladigan's Lighten Up (http://books.google.com/books?id=YmSsOtgMgUUC&dq=lighten+up+book&printsec=frontcover&source=in&hl=en&ei=M_2BS-aRPI7ctgOy163xAw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=12&ved=0CEAQ6AEwCw#v=onepage&q=lighten%20up%20book&f=false).

Cool AT Breeze
02-22-2010, 00:03
Does the "under 30 pounds" include food/water?

I completely respect your opinion, trust me. So I'm concerned considering I'm starting my thru March 9th with 27lbs that includes 4 days food and 2 qts water. Guess I'll be spending more time than expected at Neel Gap. :-? See ya' about the 11th, hopefully early a.m. - Can I place a pre-order for a cup of coffee and a gear shakedown for that day?
Under 30 with food and water. Your weight is good, can't take much off you at 27 lbs. Coffee is ready in the store at 8:30, about6:00 in the hostel.
If you are comming in from Woods Hole you should be rolling in about 10:00. Don't stay at Blood Mtn., if you get that far the night befor walk on down and stay in the hostel.

Trailbender
02-22-2010, 12:31
Under 30 with food and water. Your weight is good, can't take much off you at 27 lbs. Coffee is ready in the store at 8:30, about6:00 in the hostel.
If you are comming in from Woods Hole you should be rolling in about 10:00. Don't stay at Blood Mtn., if you get that far the night befor walk on down and stay in the hostel.

I stayed at Blood Mountain last May on a section hike. It was really cold, I did it so I could get to the hostel early and maximize my stay. This was in May, last year. I will be through there mid march this year on my thru hike.