PDA

View Full Version : Vibram Five Fingers

clairep1791
02-18-2010, 21:30
I'm thinking about doing my thru hike in Vibram Five Finger shoes. If you don't know what they are, they are shoes made for people who like to run/hike/bike/walk/etc barefoot, but it gives you enough coverage so you don't damage your feet while being active. They've done a lot of research on them, and it seems like it'd be pretty awesome. Anybody ever tried/want to try this? Give me some feedback Whiteblazers!

-Claire

RWK
02-18-2010, 21:34
There has been at least a couple threads on these. Give the search feature a try.

JAK
02-18-2010, 22:15
I think it is amazing that people can still find a way to sell shoes to people that like to go barefoot.

JJJ
02-18-2010, 22:30
They're like methadone for feet.

J5man
02-18-2010, 22:30
I'm thinking about doing my thru hike in Vibram Five Finger shoes. If you don't know what they are, they are shoes made for people who like to run/hike/bike/walk/etc barefoot, but it gives you enough coverage so you don't damage your feet while being active. They've done a lot of research on them, and it seems like it'd be pretty awesome. Anybody ever tried/want to try this? Give me some feedback Whiteblazers!

-Claire

If you do this, you may be the first person to accomplish it.

JJJ
02-18-2010, 22:38
Just go easy until you find out how strong you feet/legs already are
You may adapt quickly or not.
I've ran in mine some and they fixed a problem I was having but I was impatient and went back to sandals and shoes. Well, snow was also an issue.
But I'm looking forward to cutting my first pair of hauraches in the next week or so.
Good Luck

leaftye
02-18-2010, 22:39
If you haven't used them a lot already, you risk hurting your feet. If you use the treks, expect to get about the same life out of them that you'd get out of lightweight trail runners. If you get the normal KSO's, I imagine they'll last even fewer miles.

That said, if your feet have adapted to being barefoot or barefoot-like, then go for it.

drifters quest
02-18-2010, 22:58
I wouldn't attempt the whole thing with them. I am sure with the cold temperatures and snow they don't provide much insulation. I would also think in real rocky areas it might be tough on your feet. They might make a good camp shoe :) albeit an expensive pair!

WalkSoftly33
02-25-2010, 17:17
Claire,

I plan on using my KSO treks for my thru. If you are considering this I would wear them/go barefoot, as much as possible before your start. Definatly do some distance hikes with a pack on in them. See if you like em, I LOVE THEM!

As mentioned above they are not good in the cold. I have had mine wet in 37* weather and been fine while hiking, but then got in camp and was miserable for an hour till they dired out by the fire

With that said Im looking at bring a secondary pair of foot wear. A few options I have thought of...(still debating)

Feathered friends down booties for in camp (9oz)

Saucony Pro Grid Razor Trail runner (26oz pair)

Hiking Sandals (example Tevas) with wool or synthetic sock under Neoprene or GTX socks (?oz)

Just did a one nighter at Sages Ravine along the AT on the MA/CT border, I was wearing 3.8lb montrail torre boots, I was plowing through 3ft snow drifts, Definatly could not have worn my VFF, you never know what is in the snow in front of you. But the boots are heavy!!! I dont think i will face 3ft of snow on the AT but.

Im looking for a light weight solution to use on my through when needed in Cold/Snowy conditions with out much weight penalty since they will be in my pack most of the time.

already bought a replacement pair of VFF to be mailed when needed.

Good luck! hope to see you out there

WalkSoftly33
02-25-2010, 17:19
If your are going to use them for hiking definatly go with the TREKS, much better grip on steap slopes.