PDA

View Full Version : Winter Hammock Test - 16degrees

bmwsmity
02-19-2010, 09:02
So let me preface this little experiment with the fact that I'm a naturally warm person and probably tolerate cold better than others....however, I was most impressed with my results.

The setup:

Hennessy Ultralight Backpacker Hammock
Standard Sil Nylon rainfly that comes with the hammock, adjusted to rest on the hammock

Inside... first a jumbo size windshield sun deflector - $8 at walmart
Next... blue walmart sleeping pad - $4
Finally, a $10, 40 degree sleeping bag from walmart...

NO underquilt...

Clothing worn:

Columbia thermal bottoms
Exofficio boxer briefs
Smartwool socks, one pair
Nike ACG thermal long sleeve
Columbia GRT t shirt
Columbia GRT lightweight convertible pants
Northface lightweight fleece jacket (liner to my shell)
Columbia GRT Fleece Hat

Started off the night at 11:30pm...temp was 29 degrees. Forecast was for 19 degree low overnight... woke up, came in the house, and it said it was 16 degrees!

At first I had to lay with the sleeping bag open because I was too hot... probably due to having to wrestle around the setup inside to get situated properly... after about 30 min I finally zipped the bag up.

Around 4:00am my feet got a little cold... however, my feet are always cold and I always have a hard time keeping them warm while camping.

Other than my feet, I was warm. The only time I felt chilly on my body was if I laid on my side and had my bum or arm or something up against the side of the hammock and not on the mat. Other than that, was every bit as good as laying on the ground, sans the discomfort...

Now, the caveat is, there was little to no wind throughout the night...I'm sure if it was more breezy, I would have become a little chilly.

That said, I WAS only using a 40 degree rated sleeping bag that cost $10 at walmart...so who knows what temp the thing is really good for. It was a basic rectangular bag, not a mummy...

The only issues I had were:

I dont like breathing cold air while sleeping, and the air in the hammock was pretty chilly... could probably be remedied by a better over-cover. I covered my face up with the sleeping bag and it made the problem less annoying.

My feet got cold... a better sleeping bag could probably fix this, as well as foot warmers or booties or something.

The deflector and pad did scoot around a little...I'm thinking of using some sticky-back velcro to keep things in place and make setting it up easier, as well as making entry and exit less cumbersome.

I did have some frost inside the hammock when I woke up...not a huge deal..but I'd rather not have that. Not sure at that temp if there is any remedy though.

I have to say, for $12 at walmart, I was VERY impressed with my results...I was gonna drop $130 on a SuperShelter, but now I'm thinking that's unnecessary and the money would be better spent on a more stout over-cover tarp that would block wind better and a better sleeping bag.

I'm way too frugal to buy a $400 underquilt, and I'm sure there are plenty other people that feel the same way, so hopefully this helps some people save some money! :)

sasquatch2014
02-19-2010, 09:11
With the frost you just need to try and get a bit more ventilation and this will help some. If you seal the hammock up too much you will raise the humidity level inside and this will also make it feel cooler, or at least it does to me.

bmwsmity
02-19-2010, 09:12
With the frost you just need to try and get a bit more ventilation and this will help some. If you seal the hammock up too much you will raise the humidity level inside and this will also make it feel cooler, or at least it does to me.

Ahhh...so maybe I should let the rainfly set a little higher off the hammock then? or maybe just raise one side of it a bit...

Thanks!

sasquatch2014
02-19-2010, 09:20
I have a weather shield on my Clark and If I zip it all the way shut I will be damp in the AM but if I leave a gap it doesn't happen and I feel warmer in the AM when I wake up.

Just Jeff
02-19-2010, 09:45
Rather than using sticky-back velcro to keep the pad in place, just put a few lines of silicone (like from a tube of seamseal) across the pad. It'll help better than the velcro, and when it peels off from your weight in the hammock it won't leave so much sticky goo to get all over your stuff.

But also consider that you want the pad to slide some so you can adjust it easier.

If you try the Speer SPE, it'll take care of the cold spots when you roll onto your side or move around a bit in the hammock. It will also hold multiple pads together. www.speerhammocks.com (http://www.speerhammocks.com)

Sometimes condensation will be a problem in very cold weather no matter how much ventilation you get. I went camping at -2 (pre-windchill temp) and had a pretty stiff wind blowing right thru my hammock all night (the wind changed right after I set up), and I had all kinds of condensation everywhere. I was in a Blackbird with the netting zipped closed...but still, it was only netting and the wind was a steady ~5-10mph all night.

Next time condensation is that bad I'm gonna try sleeping in a dust mask so all my gear doesn't get wet.

bmwsmity
02-19-2010, 10:04
while i was sleeping, i was thinkin of how great it would be to have that speer spe!

i'm gonna order one for sure...great idea...would make things much easier and more comfortable.

cowpoke
02-19-2010, 10:41
So let me preface this little experiment with the fact that I'm a naturally warm person and probably tolerate cold better than others....however, I was most impressed with my results.

The setup:

Hennessy Ultralight Backpacker Hammock
Standard Sil Nylon rainfly that comes with the hammock, adjusted to rest on the hammock

Inside... first a jumbo size windshield sun deflector - $8 at walmart
Next... blue walmart sleeping pad - $4
Finally, a $10, 40 degree sleeping bag from walmart...

NO underquilt...

Clothing worn:

Columbia thermal bottoms
Exofficio boxer briefs
Smartwool socks, one pair
Nike ACG thermal long sleeve
Columbia GRT t shirt
Columbia GRT lightweight convertible pants
Northface lightweight fleece jacket (liner to my shell)
Columbia GRT Fleece Hat

Started off the night at 11:30pm...temp was 29 degrees. Forecast was for 19 degree low overnight... woke up, came in the house, and it said it was 16 degrees!

At first I had to lay with the sleeping bag open because I was too hot... probably due to having to wrestle around the setup inside to get situated properly... after about 30 min I finally zipped the bag up.

Around 4:00am my feet got a little cold... however, my feet are always cold and I always have a hard time keeping them warm while camping.

Other than my feet, I was warm. The only time I felt chilly on my body was if I laid on my side and had my bum or arm or something up against the side of the hammock and not on the mat. Other than that, was every bit as good as laying on the ground, sans the discomfort...

Now, the caveat is, there was little to no wind throughout the night...I'm sure if it was more breezy, I would have become a little chilly.

That said, I WAS only using a 40 degree rated sleeping bag that cost $10 at walmart...so who knows what temp the thing is really good for. It was a basic rectangular bag, not a mummy...

The only issues I had were:

I dont like breathing cold air while sleeping, and the air in the hammock was pretty chilly... could probably be remedied by a better over-cover. I covered my face up with the sleeping bag and it made the problem less annoying.

My feet got cold... a better sleeping bag could probably fix this, as well as foot warmers or booties or something.

The deflector and pad did scoot around a little...I'm thinking of using some sticky-back velcro to keep things in place and make setting it up easier, as well as making entry and exit less cumbersome.

I did have some frost inside the hammock when I woke up...not a huge deal..but I'd rather not have that. Not sure at that temp if there is any remedy though.

I have to say, for $12 at walmart, I was VERY impressed with my results...I was gonna drop $130 on a SuperShelter, but now I'm thinking that's unnecessary and the money would be better spent on a more stout over-cover tarp that would block wind better and a better sleeping bag.

I'm way too frugal to buy a $400 underquilt, and I'm sure there are plenty other people that feel the same way, so hopefully this helps some people save some money! :)

Nice post..thanks. I have a similar set up but I have the HHED with standard tarp. I found it a challenge to stay "warm" without breaking the bank. I also use the wallyworld blue pad but have the SPE 4x4...works great. I was putting the SPE in first and the reflector on top of that...laying directly on the reflector. I have a 45 degree "body bag" I purchased from Mountain Crossings...modified by cutting holes for my arms and I will put a light weight fleece blanket over me. The anticipated temps determine how many layers of clothes I'll wear. I can usually get into the 30's with my get-up. I'm still experimenting with staying warm. Thanks again for the post...let's me know I might be on the right track. cheers.

bmwsmity
02-19-2010, 10:52
glad i could help cowpoke...

reason i put the reflector on the bottom was because i've read they can cause condensation build-up and get your bag wet..

also, the reflector is larger than the blue pad, so it's easier to keep things lined up with it on the bottom...

unfortunately, i wont be able to order the SPE before i leave for my section hike in a couple weeks...so looks like i'll just have to deal with a little shimmy for now... shouldnt be a problem...weather looks like it'll mostly be in the 30's overnight...WARM compared to my last night campout!

Manwich
02-19-2010, 10:53
I have constructed the same setup (Except for my 25 degree MontBell U.L. Super Stretch Hugger #2) without yet having tested it in the field. Glad to hear you were comfy in the teens, I won't be out until it's above freezing again.

bmwsmity
02-19-2010, 10:56
yeah i just tested mine on the back porch (never realized how noisy it is where i live) haha...

rather make sure its warm when i can still just walk inside the house instead of bein stuck in the woods!

chiefduffy
02-19-2010, 12:04
You might consider making an SPE. It's just about the easiest piece of gear to make, and you can't really screw it up. I made mine in about 15 minutes, been using it 5 years.

bmwsmity
02-19-2010, 16:12
You might consider making an SPE. It's just about the easiest piece of gear to make, and you can't really screw it up. I made mine in about 15 minutes, been using it 5 years.

after reading about DIY gear, i've been considering getting a sewing machine LOL...

J-Rod
02-20-2010, 11:01
or you can get a synth underquilt from AHE there only $125

Manwich
02-20-2010, 12:24
or you can get a synth underquilt from AHE there only $125

psh. I'm happy when I find a quarter on the ground. That's 6-minutes closer to dryer clothes!

Careful with the use of the word "only"

bmwsmity
02-20-2010, 19:04
eh, if i'm gonna pack the extra weight of an underquilt, i'll just pack my tent instead and have plenty of room for my gear to stay dry...

16 degrees on $12 is sufficient for me ;)

BlindFaith
02-20-2010, 22:19
As someone who can't afford the underquilt right now, this post is very encouraging! I actually just ordered my HH and I plan to test it here in Michigan next month.

Just Jeff
02-21-2010, 01:39
Many people who try underquilts say they're more comfortable and much less bulky to pack. Other people find pads comfortable enough, and value the low weight and cost of pads preferable to the generally higher weight and cost of underquilts. Both ways can be plenty warm enough in cold weather...just have to find the system that gets YOU into the woods more often. B/c that's what it's all about. :D