PDA

View Full Version : Three Forks camping... or there abouts..

chiefboo
02-19-2010, 09:29
Hello all! I did a search and scanned through this forum but didn't see anything about fire-bans or the likes...

I'm trying to prepare for a thru-hike of the AT and thought backpacking on the BMT would be cool. Since I'm trying to condition myself I was thinking to hiking to Three Forks or maybe even a little further (time permitting). I want to have a camp fire as well but can't seem to find any info on fire-bans on the BMT website or here at the WB forums.

Anyone ever had issues with camp fires around sites close to three forks campsites?

Phreak
02-19-2010, 10:03
I'm not aware of any current fire bans.

Ox97GaMe
02-19-2010, 10:07
No fire bans that I am aware of. There used to be fire rings at the campsites right at the Three Forks junction. But it has been 2 years since I was there. Usually, fire bans are posted during the dry season. It isnt dry there right now. Just practice LNT.

SGT Rock
02-19-2010, 20:25
No fire bans that I know of.

There are spots right where the BMT and AT join before crossing the bridge. Then there are some places beside the creek once you cross over the FS road. But IMO the best spots are up by Long Creek Falls.

jesse
02-19-2010, 21:00
...There are spots right where the BMT and AT join before crossing the bridge. Then there are some places beside the creek once you cross over the FS road. But IMO the best spots are up by Long Creek Falls.

I agree. I camped along the creek just South of the bridge. Its too close to the road. I don't like hearing/seeing cars when I'm backpacking.

cowpoke
02-19-2010, 21:20
I concur with SGT Rock....I camped right at the foot of the falls....the sound of the water going over the falls put me right to sleep....beautiful spot.

chiefboo
02-20-2010, 00:42
Wow thanks guys! Also what an honor it is to have Sgt Rock reply to my thread lol. Your "what to pack" tutorial was very informative and really got my AT thru-hike plans rolling along.

Thanks again guys!

SGT Rock
02-20-2010, 20:09
I'm just a hiker.

chiefboo
02-21-2010, 17:05
I understand, but for what it's worth thanks for the info and for your services in the military. take care everyone!

SGT Rock
02-21-2010, 20:09
Good luck. Have a good hike.