PDA

View Full Version : SMD Wild Oasis

GeneralLee10
02-19-2010, 10:50
Do any of you have any time in this shelter:-?
http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=48

Or this one:-?
http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/shop/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=20&cat=Closeout+Items

Thanks for the input.:)

Helios
02-19-2010, 11:18
I have the Wild Oasis. I've taken it on 2 separate section hikes on the AT. Each 150 miles. I am taking it on my thru hike starting March 9th - 17 days from now. :-)

It's a very simple set up. There is condensation to consider, but I haven't been bothered by this. Ventilation and the fact that a few shakes in the morning dry it out make this a non-issue for me.

BrianLe
02-19-2010, 13:36
The Wild Oasis is basically the same as the Gatewood Cape, except that it can't be used as a poncho, and it has bug netting along the bottom edge. But the form factor, overall dimensions are the same.

I have a Gatewood Cape, and I would say that the key issue is the length (when pitched as a tent). The specs say it's 8.75 feet long (105"), but if you look at the picture you see how angles at which the sides come down --- not all of the 105" is really useable by you, particularly, keeping the foot end of your sleeping bag from touching the end wall (and getting wet from condensation), or having your face very close to the fabric on the other end (when sleeping on your back) to avoid that (and thus having difficulty sitting up or laying down without brushing possibly wet inner fabric).

It's all about how tall you are. I'm just under 5' 10" and I can do okay with the Gatewood Cape (or, I presume, with the Wild Oasis), but only "just", and I'd probably be happier with it if I were 5' 8" or shorter.

Others opinions on this might vary of course (!), but condensation is a factor to deal with to some degree with any single wall tent, so you do want enough room around you in all directions so that it you move at all during the night you're not getting something wet.

To be clear, I'm starting on the AT with my Gatewood Cape too --- doubling as a poncho saves me some significant weight. I'll switch when it gets warming to a larger single-wall tent and separate poncho, but particularly starting out (when I'm not trail-strong yet), it's very nice to save the weight.

Lyle
02-19-2010, 13:47
I've used the Wild Oasis and it is fine. As others said, condensation can be an isssue, especially if you have to close it down and pitch it low. I like it, it is the lightest shelter I own.

That said, my usual go-to shelter is my Gossamer Gear "The One". Only 3 oz more, it offers more usable space, a full floor and insect netting. It is a bit more complicated to set up, but not at all bad once you learn how. It also has condensation to deal with when you have cold, still, humid nights. You learn to deal with these things tho.

Wild Oasis is lighter and substantially cheaper. Perfectly adequate shelter.

Mags
02-19-2010, 14:19
I've used both the Gatewood Cape (on the CDT) and currently use the Wild Oasis.

Though taller people (5'10" plus) have used these shelters, the general consensus is that they are better for shorter people. At 5'6", I find the Wild Oasis to be roomy enough. With the bug netting and quick set-up, it is great shelter.

(I swapped out the gatewood cape because I could never get used to ponchos. YMMV. Being shorter, I found I tangled up too much in the poncho. :) )

I had a heavy snowfall once on the CDT just before the Cochetopa Hills. The Gatewood Cape held up well and it kept me dry.

Condensation can be a problem with single wall shelters; it is all how you pitch it and 'batten down the hatches'.

Overall, I'd strongly suggest these shelters for quick, light and easy shelters to setup and use.

Helios
02-19-2010, 14:58
I'm 6'2" and seem to have plenty of room in my Wild Oasis.

Short people are just picky! :D :D :D

Luddite
08-16-2010, 20:43
How do these things perform in a heavy rain?

Lyle
08-16-2010, 21:50
How do these things perform in a heavy rain?

As long as you haven't pitched it in a basin, and have accounted for some drainage, they are fine. Just as good as any other single wall shelter. Do not mistake condensation being flicked off of the fabric by a heavy downpour as leaking. A bandanna or pack towel used to wipe the interior occasionally is helpful in a heavy rain.