PDA

View Full Version : ways to carry water bottle?

Inwoods
02-19-2010, 10:54
So after alot of atempts at reaching my H2O bottles in my packs side pockets, I realize i need a new alternative. I allready have a platy resevior for camp use and am using 1L soda bottles for easy fill up. So other than using my hands to carry my bottles, does anyone have a lt. weight suggestion.

Appalachian Tater
02-19-2010, 11:01
Google "jug knot".

scope
02-19-2010, 11:04
You have a platy but you're not using it in the pack with a tube while you're hiking?

Saffirre8
02-19-2010, 11:12
i was kind of getting ready to ask the same question:
i was going to ask: i have the new osprey 65 (2010) and it has a pocket for a bladder, would that be a better way to carry water or does it add to much extra weight to my pack? i plan on carry some water bottles to, but like they said it is a pain in the a** to try and reach my bottles in my side pocket. Is bladder plus water bottles to much?? i would rather have more water then not enough.
Would a camelbak work for my pouch in my pack??? Anyone have one of these??

bmwsmity
02-19-2010, 11:12
they have those jug-knot things at walmart....saw them yesterday...they're like $3...

yeah, why not use a drinking tube with reservoir? thats all i use, because it hurts my shoulders stretching to reach bottles in my pack pockets...

bmwsmity
02-19-2010, 11:17
i was kind of getting ready to ask the same question:
i was going to ask: i have the new osprey 65 (2010) and it has a pocket for a bladder, would that be a better way to carry water or does it add to much extra weight to my pack? i plan on carry some water bottles to, but like they said it is a pain in the a** to try and reach my bottles in my side pocket. Is bladder plus water bottles to much?? i would rather have more water then not enough.
Would a camelbak work for my pouch in my pack??? Anyone have one of these??

Yeah, a cambelbak bladder (or any other bladder) will work fine, usually up to 2liters...

A bladder is actually about as light or lighter than a Nalgene...

All I use is a bladder...depending on how far apart water sources are, i might even only fill it half way to keep weight down...

A ultra light hiker i know simply drinks one bottle when he comes to refill point...fills that bottle up, and then waits to drink till the next fill spot...this way he only carries one bottle at a time...

CrumbSnatcher
02-19-2010, 11:27
do they still make the dana designs wet rib? thats what i have hooked on 1 of my packs

sbhikes
02-19-2010, 11:33
The bladder with drinking tube works well, but if you don't want to use that, you can do what I did on the PCT. I bought a beer bottle holder at a convenience store. It's supposed to attach to your belt. I found a bottle of something in the fridge that fit in the holder (Naked Juice). I put that on my backpack waist belt and whenever I got to a water source, I'd drink up a bottle, then fill it up half way to take a little extra with me, plus fill my other bottles (if it was a dry stretch) and then hike on. It was the perfect size to mix up some flavored stuff, too.

Cabin Fever
02-19-2010, 11:36
My problem with a bladder is getting it in and out of a loaded pack and pumping water into it from a filter. IMHO, not very friendly for those uses.

Don't get me wrong. I use a bladder for all day activities, but not overnight.

David@whiteblaze
02-19-2010, 11:42
I bought a Gregory Z554 Pack, and took my 3-liter platy for use as a trail bottle. I found that when I needed a rest for a minute from the weight on my shoulders I leaned forward and the weight of my gear squirted the water up into my mouth. I also brought a 1-liter Nalgene bottle for purposes of backup water and measuring for cooking. Despite the fact that I started every morning at a base camp, I carried all of my gear (Including food) that I needed. I did not have a filter, so I brought along a bottle of potable aqua tablets. I could have put 2 liters in to start with and filled my nalgene at every stream crossing.

pettas
I could be reading this incorrectly so if I am, I apologize in advance, but I really like carrying water bottles that require me to stop, take off my pack and enjoy my drink. I look forward to those break times when I take the extra moment to look around and enjoy my surroundings while replenshing my fluids. I know that everyone is suppose to "hike your own hike" but sometimes I think we get too carried away with trying to get somewhere quickly and loose out on enjoying our time in the woods. A deliberate need to stop and get out my water bottle ensures that I won't rush through the trip without any time for enjoyng where I am. Just my thoughts.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...Be well.

snapper

David@whiteblaze
Er, Z55 Pack...

David@whiteblaze
02-19-2010, 11:44
My problem with a bladder is getting it in and out of a loaded pack and pumping water into it from a filter. IMHO, not very friendly for those uses.

I belive the Katadyn Hiker Pro (filter I intend to buy) will pump into a Camelbak drinking tube. If it is hose-hose, I am sure a double-male adapter would work.

leaftye
02-19-2010, 11:49
I also prefer a bottle, but that's because I mix protein and stuff into it. I used to have a bottle holder for hanging off the hip belt and I hated it when I tried using it before, but I think I'm going to give it another shot. Still though, while it's a pain to reach that side pocket, that does help force me into taking hourly breaks that are also very good for my feet.

IceAge
02-19-2010, 11:53
I belive the Katadyn Hiker Pro (filter I intend to buy) will pump into a Camelbak drinking tube. If it is hose-hose, I am sure a double-male adapter would work.

A Hiker Pro will filter right into a drinking tube, you are correct. Just make sure that your bladder cap hasn't cracked before you start pumping water into your pack! (a little lesson I learned the hard way on the SHT 2 years a go)

David@whiteblaze
02-19-2010, 11:55
A Hiker Pro will filter right into a drinking tube, you are correct. Just make sure that your bladder cap hasn't cracked before you start pumping water into your pack! (a little lesson I learned the hard way on the SHT 2 years a go)
I looked it up, showed it to my mass gear supplier representative (mom...) and dhe said she would order it (score!:D) now, why would the cap crack?

beakerman
02-19-2010, 12:07

That is correct. I have that very filter and it came with an adaptor to do just that.

I don't use a bladder so I not certain if they come with different size tubes or but from what I have seen in passing they all seem to have pretty much the same size tube so that adaptor should work just fine.

1azarus
02-19-2010, 13:00
just a little shock chord around your pack strap... only problem is you'll look a lot like that wierd guy to the left. it is great to have access to the water bottles.

RWK
02-19-2010, 13:05
I could be reading this incorrectly so if I am, I apologize in advance, but I really like carrying water bottles that require me to stop, take off my pack and enjoy my drink. I look forward to those break times when I take the extra moment to look around and enjoy my surroundings while replenshing my fluids. I know that everyone is suppose to "hike your own hike" but sometimes I think we get too carried away with trying to get somewhere quickly and loose out on enjoying our time in the woods. A deliberate need to stop and get out my water bottle ensures that I won't rush through the trip without any time for enjoyng where I am. Just my thoughts.

snapper

What he said goes for me.

mister krabs
02-19-2010, 13:13
Get longer arms?

My son has no water bottle pockets, he uses this little clamp thing that holds the bottle neck and attaches to his shoulder straps. We got it at walmart. Functionally the same thing as 1azarus above.

Sarge
02-19-2010, 13:16
I had an interesting way of carrying my water bottles. I carried them in my pockets. I hiked in military camo BDU pants because I found them to be loose and comfortable, they breathed well when it was warm outside, and they kept my legs insulated well when it was cold. Anyway, they have those very large utility pockets on the outside of the thigh. I just slipped my water bottles in those pockets. My water was always accessible to me anytime I needed it without having to reach or take my pack off. Most people would probably find it awkward, but it didn't interfere with hiking and didn't feel awkward to me. It was different, but it worked for me.

Sarge

IceAge
02-19-2010, 13:20
now, why would the cap crack?

I don't know, might have happened when I threw my pack into the back of a shuttle van, never heard of it happening to anyone else, so it probably isn't a huge concern. It was just very disheartening to start a trip by pumping water directly into my pack!

scope
02-19-2010, 13:23
A deliberate need to stop and get out my water bottle ensures that I won't rush through the trip without any time for enjoyng where I am. Just my thoughts.

snapper

I hear ya, but that would be an awfully slow trip for me, as I like to take a sip, wet my whistle, gulp, whatever at somewhat frequent intervals, especially going uphill.

I love the bladder tube for sipping as I go, but I sometimes don't love how you have to pack around it. I ended up switching packs to something that has more accessible side pockets so I would have that option. The bonus was the pack's hydration bladder goes deep and low so that I can form my sleeping bag and other soft gear around it first and leave the top half of the pack with an area that's more packable for hard gear. (Golite Quest)

Another option is to put the bladder in the side pocket and run a tube from there, especially if you want to be able to refill it frequently on the trail.

Saffirre8
02-19-2010, 16:24
I hear ya, but that would be an awfully slow trip for me, as I like to take a sip, wet my whistle, gulp, whatever at somewhat frequent intervals, especially going uphill.

That is my point, i must drink way to much water, exspecially in the summer, i get very thirsty and dont feel like having to stop every 15 mins to take my pack off to get a drink or having my hiking buddy to get water out of my side pocket for me. I think i will try out the bladder and see how it works for me and if not i'll take it back to REI and get my money back...

I am not a thru-hiker so i shouldnt have to many issues packing my pack around it, since i am only going on long weekend and week trips.
Thanks for all the advise my hiking frieinds.

Happy Trails

Jester2000
02-19-2010, 16:46
I, too, like removing my pack to drink. I like being on a schedule where I take my pack off at regular intervals. I've also used a bladder.

I have also purchased a cheap insulated water bottle carrier, cut the straps off, and attached it to my shoulder straps. I think if you want access without using a bladder, somewhere on your shoulder strap is the way to go.

This looks like an interesting little thing that might work, depending on what sort of cross-straps are on your shoulder straps or hipbelt:

http://www.aquaclip.com/

Saffirre8
02-19-2010, 17:02
i also have a camelbak water bottle and that has a loop i can always use a carabiner and attach it to my should strap and see how that works...

Dogwood
02-19-2010, 18:31
You have a platy but you're not using it in the pack with a tube while you're hiking?

Yup, me too. I have a separate 2 L Platy for longer water hauls or for when I'm in camp and another water bottle, sometimes 2, about .8 L each, that attaches to my shoulder strap(s) at titty ht. I took my idea from the ULA website. They sell some attachment device for doing this but here is how I came up w/ something myself that I find works for me. I use OGG brand aluminum water bottles(not as light as a plastic water/soda bottle, but they clean up easily, are very durable, and cost and weigh less than the SIGG alum bottles), They come with a screw on cap with a tight fitting leak proof washer on the cap. The cap has a round hole in it. I attach a very light wt spring loaded biner to the cap and let the water bottle w/ cap attached hang from a D Ring that comes installed on my goto 3 season thru-hiking pack, a ULA Conduit. To keep the water bottle from swaying around uncontrollably I've slipped a short piece of UL velcro under the webbing on the shoulder harness that attaches around the water bottle. If I want a drink I unwrap the velcro and unscrew the cap leaving the cap attached to the DRing by way of the small biner. I can also take the water bottle off with the cap sealed on it if I like by just detaching at the biner.

This way my side pockets are free for maps, trail food on the go, gloves, hat, spare layer, etc and I don't have to remove my pack to drink or take up volume inside my pack with a filled reservoir like a Platy or Camelback and the bottles are easily accessible, even for those with the shortest arms.

Looks odd to some though. I get questions like "is that an oxygen bottle?" or double takes like I'm carrying Grenades like soldiers do on their shoulder straps or attached to their chests.

Rockhound
02-19-2010, 18:40

A camelback straps easily to the side of my pack. Beats having it inside the pack. Easier to access and refill.

Jester2000
02-19-2010, 19:04
i also have a camelbak water bottle and that has a loop i can always use a carabiner and attach it to my should strap and see how that works...

That'll work, but you might be able to find an attachment lighter than a carabiner. And you'll want to figure out something to keep it from swaying, the way Dogwood does.

Home Depot is a good place to find velcro strips and other useful stuff for attaching things to your pack.

Trailbender
02-19-2010, 19:08

snapper

What he said.

Bags4266
02-19-2010, 19:30
I have a Gatorade bottle on the side. I knock off the hip belt loosen the shoulder straps low. This allows me to swing the pack slightly to a side and grab the bottle.

cowpoke
02-19-2010, 21:16
I bought a marmot fanny pack and just turned it around and wear it out front...carries two bottles of water...my map....snacks....camera...trail guide notes....and anything else I want to put in there....don't really notice the extra weight. Has worked fine for me.

babbage
02-19-2010, 21:38
I carry mine upside down in winter so it will not freeze. Otherwise I just put it in the water bottle holder on my pack.
Funny thing - I found one on a trail in Citico - it was cheap and said made in China. My wife washed it and the dishwasher was on "heated dry". That bottle shrunk and would not even hold 16 ounces. It looked like an episode of Big World, Little Bottle. Very funny to look at.

AeroGuyDC
02-20-2010, 01:34
REI has several different "Nalgene coozie" type holders with a pack belt sized loop to secure it on your pack belt. I have one from Lowe Alpine. My water is right there at hands reach while hiking.

Another option to consider.

4shot
02-20-2010, 09:12
I looked it up, showed it to my mass gear supplier representative (mom...) and dhe said she would order it (score!:D) now, why would the cap crack?

is awesome and way better than mine (I had to work for 30 years to acquire my gear ;)). Unfortunately that "system" probably won't work so well for you in a couple of years. Make sure that you say thanks and tell her your "mass gear supplier rep" that you love her too.:)

Sorry to get off-topic. Please return to the discussion on water transportation.:D

white_russian
02-20-2010, 09:37
do they still make the dana designs wet rib? thats what i have hooked on 1 of my packs
Not that I know of. When I bought mine from Winton Porter about a year and half ago I commented about how they were very hard to find. He said something along the lines of all he had to do was call up Dana Gleason and they would be back in production.

Skidsteer
02-20-2010, 09:38
So after alot of atempts at reaching my H2O bottles in my packs side pockets, I realize i need a new alternative. I allready have a platy resevior for camp use and am using 1L soda bottles for easy fill up. So other than using my hands to carry my bottles, does anyone have a lt. weight suggestion.

Here's my solution:

http://www.bplite.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=740

BitBucket
02-20-2010, 09:51
A quick disconnect adapter mounted on the hose (mouthpiece end) will allow you to quickly hook up your filter pump directly to your camelbak eliminating the need to remove it from the pack.

My Vario takes 46 pumps to completely fill my 3 liter camelbak. Pop the adapter, plug the mouthpiece back in and you're on your way.

I've seen a 3 way disconnect that stays inline all the time, but haven't use one as I thought it was a bit bulky compared to a simple quick disconnect plug...

Jonnycat
02-20-2010, 11:17

Why put it *in* a loaded pack? My bladder (platypus) is the last thing I load in my pack, it sits at the *top* just before I close it up.

When I'm hiking and need to refill it, it's the first thing there.

Jester2000
02-20-2010, 11:27
Not that I know of. When I bought mine from Winton Porter about a year and half ago I commented about how they were very hard to find. He said something along the lines of all he had to do was call up Dana Gleason and they would be back in production.

Yeah, I think we've got one left somewhere in our store. Not sure where.

Dogwood
02-20-2010, 18:51
Ingenious Skidsteer, using the cookpot to hold the gatorade bottle. Hahaha. Do you have issues with the Gatorade bottle slipping out of the cookpot and possibly losing it when you take your pack off.

Since some ULers are hesitant to haul aluminum water bottles because they are a back breaking wt of a 3 - 4.5 oz(mine are 3.2 oz) and instead opt for the lighter, and cheaper(free?), plastic water bottles, what I've seen done, and I used to do myself, is attach a piece of short UL micro bungee around the water bottle, usually around the neck of the bottle, and make a loop at the other end of the bungee to attach to that DRing like is on my pack by way of an UL S style spring loaded micro biner. And, to keep the bottle from bouncing around, use a small piece of UL velcro, like found at many outfitters(I get the lightest velcro at REI), JoAnn Fabrics, Home DEpot, etc attached around the base of the bottle like you are doing Skidsteer in your pics to hold the cookpot .

Praha4
02-20-2010, 20:25
MLD sells a bottle pouch that will attach to most any pack shoulder strap, designed to hold 12 to 24 oz. bottles. I have one, have used it with Gregory and Deuter packs.

http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/popup_image.php?pID=71&image=0&osCsid=d8ade30643754612c2fa9115d5c4a7c9

I've started using the 2L Camelbak Unbottle,
http://www.camelbak.com/sports-recreation/hydration-packs/unbottle-70oz.aspx

slide it in the side mesh bottle pocket on my Deuter ACT Zero 60+10 pack, attach the top of the Unbottle to the pack's lid with a small carbiner. I do not like putting any hydration bladder inside the pack's hydration sleeve,they take up room inside the pack. Also, had a bad experience with a 2L camelbak that leaked inside the pack once. Bladders are prone to leak in sub-freezing temps.

Also keep a 20-24 oz plastic bottle with some type of sportsdrink (Propel, Gatorade) either in the MLD bottle pouch, or I keep an empty 1L plastic gatorade bottle in the front shovel pocket, for refilling and treating water with a Steripen or Aqua Mira. I used to carry a MSR Mini-Works filter and 1L Nalgene.... dropped them to save almost a pound of pack weight.

I usually fill up the 2L bladder in the morning, and it's good for most of the day, depending on how hot/humid the weather. I will stop and refill the 1L gatorade plastic bottle around middle of the day, and refill the other containers as the conditions merit.

You have to plan how much water you want to carry, depending on time of year and how far apart are water sources. Mid-summer the springs can run dry along the ridgelines, carry a bit more. I've heard mid summer in PA the water along the trail is hard to find, and I will likely carry 3L in that section.

white_russian
02-20-2010, 20:29
Yeah, I think we've got one left somewhere in our store. Not sure where.
I actually bought one from yall as well. :D

Skidsteer
02-21-2010, 18:35
Ingenious Skidsteer, using the cookpot to hold the gatorade bottle. Hahaha. Do you have issues with the Gatorade bottle slipping out of the cookpot and possibly losing it when you take your pack off.

I did until I added an elastic band to slip over the neck of the bottle. That solved the problem.

Tinker
02-21-2010, 23:10
Lately I've been carrying a 40 oz. stainless steel water bottle in an old 35 mm.padded (hence insulated) lens case with a drawstring top. It has a loop which allows me to attach it to my shoulder strap. I slide it up the strap to take the water bottle out. The bottle can also be heated next to or on a fire or stove to reconstitute freeze-dried foods or for use as a hot water bottle at night. I also have carried bladders and soft drink bottles (20 oz.) on the upper part of my shoulder straps held on with bungee cords. On one trip where water was scarce I also carried an extra bladder in a fanny pack carried backwards with the bladder in front for easy access.
Hiking through the Hundred Mile Wilderness in 2008 I carried an MSR bladder in my pack and refilled it using my First Need Filter by taking off the bite valve and plugging the drinking tube into the nipple on the filter. The bladder was outside the pack liner so if it had leaked it would have only gotten the pack bag wet.