PDA

View Full Version : Help me solve a bet please!!!

RITBlake
09-27-2004, 18:41
loudmouth kid I know thinks its impossible to hang a hammock on two smooth upright poles, such as between a football goalpost. Can anyone get out there and snap a pic of a hammock hanging between a goalpost?

SGT Rock
09-27-2004, 19:14
I would love to, but my hammocks are all with the movers right now. What is the spread on a goal post?

Jack Tarlin
09-27-2004, 19:20
It is certainly possible to accomplish this; the uprights aren't all that different from trees, after all, tho a football field would probably be better for tenting than hammocking. Come to think of it, athletic fields would make excellent campsites, assuming a game or practice isn't scheduled, and provided you're willing to break camp rather early the next morning.

The width (Eighteen feet, six inches in the pros, if memory serves) is a bit wider than you'd probably want most nights, but assuming you've got the strapping, it's doable.

My guess is that by the time I'm back in Hanover someone will have sent you a photo that proves your point; if not, I'll see what I can do. Assuming Dartmouth Security has something of a sense of humor, we could probably get you your picture in five minutes flat.

Borrowing a suitable hammock might take longer.

SGT Rock
09-27-2004, 19:54
If you are still near Scott, he should have a couple in all his gear.

mamaspicphotography
09-27-2004, 21:20
Yes.....It can be done .... I did it for the cancer walkers this spring.....wrapped the tree huggers around the post several times...and hung the hammock......never thought about taking a pic...

attroll
09-28-2004, 00:06
mamaspicphotography has the right idea that would solve the problem about slipping. You would just have to wrap your tree huggers straps around the post one more time.

MedicineMan
09-28-2004, 00:24
Just posted an answer to your question...look under photos/other galleries/hammock camping/ two smooth uprights.
This was taken last week at a state park in Utah.

Uncle Wayne
09-28-2004, 06:23
Here's a direct link to the photo.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/4993/password/0/sort/1/cat/last1/page/1

RITBlake
09-28-2004, 22:14
awesome!!!

THANKS ALL!!!!

MedicineMan
09-28-2004, 22:47
RitBlake, experiment with other settings. I saw a hammock somewhere strung between a telephone pole and the thick guywire that supported the telephone pole....
I think Ed Speer and maybe Sgt. Rock can show you the way to set one up with a car and a single hiking pole....just get off the ground!

jlb2012
09-29-2004, 08:01
I think Ed Speer and maybe Sgt. Rock can show you the way to set one up with a car and a single hiking pole....just get off the ground!

Actually I think it was Flyfisher's site www.imrisk.com (http://www.imrisk.com/) that shows the hammock with one tree and a pole with a car technique. Also the pole is not a hiking pole but more on the order of a 2x4

SGT Rock
09-29-2004, 08:11
A hiking pole won't support enough weight to get off the ground. You can use poles to make a tent with the hammock though. I have used two vehicles, one vehicle and a tree, two poles, two support columns for a wall, etc.

MisterSweetie
09-29-2004, 08:48
Isn't what you're looking for on the HH page?

http://www.hennessyhammock.com/images/Huskyhammock.jpg