PDA

View Full Version : Rusty's Hard Time Hollow update

Bob McCaw
02-19-2010, 14:28
Rusty phoned today to say that he is "throwing in the towel" and the Hard Time Hollow will not operate in the future. He explained that he was simply getting older, that serving hikers was a lot of work, and that he felt called to do other things with his life.

It's not impossible that he will welcome hikers again in the future, but my sense in talking with him was that he's been struggling with this decision for a while and feels he needs to get away from the demands of catering to hikers.

Let's all wish him well.

Jack Tarlin
02-19-2010, 14:37
Of course we wish him well.

And if memory serves, things might be different at the Hollow by May or June, as we have heard such things before.

Lyle
02-19-2010, 14:53
Never met the man, and I know it appears he's been trying to close his hostel for a while now, and he keeps getting drawn back in.

Hopefully he does what is best for him.

Best Wishes.

Jester2000
02-19-2010, 15:48
I bought a sign from him at Trail Days one of the previous years he decided to shut down the Hollow. I really love that sign.

Good luck Rusty!

Lone Wolf
02-19-2010, 16:25
yeah right :rolleyes:

Bob McCaw
02-19-2010, 16:36
And if memory serves, things might be different at the Hollow by May or June, as we have heard such things before.

Certainly true.

pjbarr
06-05-2010, 14:46
I am at the Waynesboro library with Rusty of Rusty's Hard Time Hollow. Because of past experience this winter, Rusty had announced that he was closed but would now like to let hikers know that he is accepting hikers at his place as of this date. He will be accepting hikers seasonally *ONLY* from March through July. He says to use your data book as reference for directions and information; he is in the same location with the same rules.

Again, Rusty's Hard Time Hollow is now accepting hikers seasonally ONLY March through July.

Pedaling Fool
06-05-2010, 15:15
What a joke:rolleyes:

Lone Wolf
06-05-2010, 16:26
Rusty phoned today to say that he is "throwing in the towel" and the Hard Time Hollow will not operate in the future. He explained that he was simply getting older, that serving hikers was a lot of work, and that he felt called to do other things with his life.

It's not impossible that he will welcome hikers again in the future, but my sense in talking with him was that he's been struggling with this decision for a while and feels he needs to get away from the demands of catering to hikers.

Let's all wish him well.

yeah right :rolleyes:

hahahaha :D just continue on to waynesboro

Appalachian Tater
06-05-2010, 20:23
I wonder how he is able to accept hikers retroactively to March.

Bob McCaw
06-05-2010, 22:23
hahahaha :D just continue on to waynesboro

hahahahaha

Wise Old Owl
06-05-2010, 23:49
.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ................................................Ne ver mind

Bob McCaw
06-06-2010, 00:01
What the HELL happened to my honest question? Did I get soft deleted?

What was Rusty's rules?

Rusty has a firm rule about no alcohol and no drugs.

Beyond that, it's hard to say. He has had a motto of "It don't matter, do what you want." On the other hand, when you walked down his driveway, you saw an amazing (and funny, IMO) collection of signs that send a clear message that the owner is NOT a "laid-back" individual. There may be other rules at any given time you arrive.

Sorry if this is a roundabout answer, but it's the best I can do.

weary
06-06-2010, 10:35
Rusty has a firm rule about no alcohol and no drugs.

Beyond that, it's hard to say. He has had a motto of "It don't matter, do what you want." On the other hand, when you walked down his driveway, you saw an amazing (and funny, IMO) collection of signs that send a clear message that the owner is NOT a "laid-back" individual. There may be other rules at any given time you arrive.

Sorry if this is a roundabout answer, but it's the best I can do.
When I was there I couldn't believe his words (signs), his actions were speaking so loudly.

rambunny
06-07-2010, 07:56
I wish him the best. He really is a fine individual that has helped 100's of hikers.

johnnyblisters
03-16-2011, 16:52
Anyone know if Rusty's is going to be open this year?

johnnyblisters
03-21-2011, 01:19
Anyone know if Rusty's is going to be open this year?

Bump, question stands....

Bigfoot2179
12-26-2011, 11:32
I just heard from an old friend of Rusty's that a very large blood clot was discovered in one of his legs earlier this month. Rusty says his prognosis is good, but it will take six months to dissolve the clot. He is not supposed to have visitors, but he is lonely and would love to get mail and hear some encouraging words from hikers.

Here's his address:

Rusty Nesbit
Hard Time Hollow
16903 Blue Ridge Parkway
Lyndhurst, VA 22952

david_griffin
06-25-2019, 19:44
Last Hurrah! Rusty would like to sell before the winter and extends an open invitation to you to visit this summer before leaving. Opportunity to purchase this rare offering consisting of 19 acres of beautiful, private, mostly wooded land w/ open, gently rolling mountain pasture offering extraordinary privacy bordering the Parkway on 3 sides. It is FOR SALE! Remember this is one of only a few deeded private driveways in the whole National Park system. Call Rusty or David 434-409-6370 Watch Video ==> www.rustyshardtimehollow.com

peakbagger
06-26-2019, 09:49
My guess is given the price and acreage, its going to get cut up for a few summer homes:( like Rainbow Springs and Mountain Mommas.