PDA

View Full Version : Review: Sterling Knife Sharpener

Rocket Jones
02-19-2010, 18:37
This little gizmo arrived in the mail today:

http://www.sterlingsharpener.com/sterlingmodels.html

I bought the classic model in solid red. It's 3" long and 1" wide, about 1/8" thick. Weight is .6 oz (17g). The construction is simplicity itself, as is the use. I'd call the quality "workmanlike". It's not highly polished, it's not going to win any beauty contests, but it will do the job without a fuss. There is a hole to attach it to your keychain or a lanyard if you'd like.

To try it out, I sharpened the big blade of my Swiss Army Knife. I generally use the small blade for sharp tasks and the big blade for hacking and assorted abusive chores, so this blade has seen some hard wear.

A half dozen gentle passes through the sharpener and there was already a huge difference. I doubt this thing will ever make your blade shaving sharp, but it will keep a decent edge on your knife. And it's true that a sharp blade is safer than a dull one.

The sharpening steels are permanently set at a 20* angle, which is fine for most everyday use knives. You do have to pay attention as you draw the blade through because it will catch or stutter little if your angle drifts from perpendicular.

Overall, I like it. It's small enough for everyday carry and will be a welcome (and lightweight) addition to my packing list for the trail. I expect I'll be using this sharpener for years to come.

Franco
02-19-2010, 19:33
The knife geeks mostly hate that kind of thing but it does the job..
I have two or three like that, one is a Smith's, works well with my Opinel (carbon steel blade)
You can get a Lansky kit (not for hiking with...) and that is much better but once again the purist will poo poo that too.
Sometimes easy does it.
Franco