PDA

View Full Version : Knife necessity and use

Spot In The Sky
02-19-2010, 22:20
Trying to finish off my gear list for this years thru hike and am unsure about what I should be getting/using in regards to a knife.
Will one of the swiss army multi function ones be enough? Should I also get a regular blade in case something more heavy duty needs to be cut? Do 99% of the 20+ uses of a swiss army knife go unused and its not worth the weight?
What is a good weight for a knife anyway? What have you used/needed? Any recommendations? I searched and couldnt find a solid thread on knives so here is mine.

Thanks team!

Grinder
02-19-2010, 22:39
when I first started to hike, I was convinced I needed a "real Knife". I finally got a Frost Mora. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mora_knife.

the problem was what to do with it. It's a belt knife and because of the pack, I had no belt space. I tried to hang it from my pack shoulder strap, but it was always in the way. It ended up inside the pack.I only used it once in a week.

Then I discovered "Hacksaw knives"
http://www.m4040.com/Survival/10_Cent_Survival_Knife/10_Cent_Survival_Knife.htm

That's what I've carried for three years. Mine is sized to fit in my cookpot. It gets the job done.

bigcranky
02-19-2010, 22:42
Last March at Deep Gap Shelter, in north Georgia, there was a discussion about what knife everyone was carrying. The general feeling among the mostly new hikers was that you needed to be able to defend yourself against a bear. Then I pulled out my little tiny Swiss Army Knife, with the scissors and nail file and 1-inch blade, and one of the hikers said, "When the bear attacks you, you can give him a pedicure!"

So my choice is this knife (http://www.swissarmy.com/MultiTools/Pages/Product.aspx?category=everyday&product=53001&). Manly. Keeps my nails looking nice. Cuts anything I need on the trail.

Deadeye
02-19-2010, 22:47
Yep, simple Swiss Army Knife will do the job. I use the blade, scissors, and can opener often, other tools rarely.

Maddog
02-19-2010, 22:48
when I first started to hike, I was convinced I needed a "real Knife". I finally got a Frost Mora. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mora_knife.

the problem was what to do with it. It's a belt knife and because of the pack, I had no belt space. I tried to hang it from my pack shoulder strap, but it was always in the way. It ended up inside the pack.I only used it once in a week.

That's what I've carried for three years. Mine is sized to fit in my cookpot. It gets the job done.

the hacksaw knives are awesome...thanks for the link! maddog:D

leaftye
02-19-2010, 22:49
A multitool is all you need. It may even be too much.

What do you think you're going to cut that's tougher than your swiss army nice can handle, wood? If that's the case, you should be able to break any branch that your little knife can handle, and anything too big for that would be better served by a saw.

Rocket Jones
02-19-2010, 22:51

On another forum a guy makes these from heavy sawblade stock (heavier than hacksaw, maybe recip saw?). The handle on mine is wrapped with parachute cord and the knife blade itself holds a decent edge. Occasionally having an actual saw blade comes in handy. I keep one with my gardening tools, one in my pack and have given a couple away.

Doctari
02-19-2010, 22:52
Admittedly I have been carrying a pocket knife since I was about 7 (Seven), so am very used to having one at all times (I have 3 on me right now). And I have seen posts saying they are not needed. Obviously, I think this is silly.
What if you need to cut: a rope / guy line? Block of cheese? Salami? Make shavings to start a fire? Sharpen a stick as an emergency tent / tarp stake? At a minimum, I would carry a 2" blade, which should be able to handle most of the above tasks. I carry a Gerber with a 3.75" blade, but it is a bit of overkill, I just really like this knife.
Get one that fits your hand, with a blade that does what you want, there are quite a few different styles of blades, & you need to decide what is right for you.

I own about 30 knives, I think I have 3 that are the same. They are all good tools, with different uses. There are quite a few I wouldn't carry on a hike, most of my daggers fit that description. I als can not see the need for a multi tool or "Swiss army knife" with more than a blade & maybe a file. Although I do carry a multi-tool in winter so I can make repairs on my Pulk if need be.

Mountain Wildman
02-19-2010, 23:26
I have been considering this knife.
http://www.gofastandlight.com/images/dajo2.jpg
6 ounces total weight and it comes with the Fire Starter and Whistle.
Although, It is a sheath knife and typically worn on a belt.
I have been thinking about a tactical type mount that puts it on your leg instead of waist. $32.89 at:http://www.gofastandlight.com/DAJO-Ultralight-Survival-Knife/productinfo/TO-DJ-SURV/

Blissful
02-19-2010, 23:32
Simple is the key. I took a swiss with two blades and scissors.

BrianLe
02-19-2010, 23:39
Another topic that seems to come up again and again; one recent thread that covers this pretty well is here (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=44343).

I personally use a 22 gram (0.8 oz) Wenger swiss army "Esquire" (http://www.wengerna.com/esquire-16182) knife, which offers small scissors, a small blade, nail file/cleaner, toothpick, and tweezers. I used pretty much all of that stuff on the PCT in 2008, the scissors above the other things, and didn't ever lack for anything that a heavier knife might offer.

garlic08
02-19-2010, 23:55
Your cutting tool can be as simple as a single-edged razor blade, which costs about four cents if you buy a hundred, and can be easily ditched for airline flights. This is all I carry, and it's been fine for a few long hikes, for first aid, cutting cord, some gear repair, opening food packages, etc. Or you can get a $80, 10 oz multitool with 19 functions.

A lot depends on what else you carry. Do you have a complicated pack frame that might need work? Tent poles? A finicky stove or water filter with a repair kit? Do you break things a lot? Do you open cans for dinner, or clean wild game or fish? The more complicated your pack and hiking style, the more complicated a tool you'll want.

JAK
02-19-2010, 23:58
I would start with a list of everything you would use it for.

Something critical on a thru-hike is toenail care.
Your list might be best served by more than one tool.

Slo-go'en
02-20-2010, 00:08
For some reason I tend to loose knifes on the trail, so I only buy cheap ones now.

2" locking blade pocket knife, small pair of scissers, toe nail clippers - all the tools you need. These three items will often weigh less than a multi-tool thingie, of which I have a pretty good collection of and won't take on the trail, as I'm likely to loose it!

Bags4266
02-20-2010, 00:26
Everytime I went for a long hike I never used my 2 oz swiss army knife. Now I carry a mini razor knife at a few grams. If I need a knife it was just to cut line/rope.

JAK
02-20-2010, 00:31
I carry just an Opinel#7 on short hikes.
For a thru-hike I would need something else for toenail care.
In winter up here I carry a 1 pound hatchet also, but not on a thru-hike.

GGS2
02-20-2010, 00:50
A few years back I was going through the body check to board an airplane in Toronto. I emptied my pockets, and there was my constant companion, my little Swiss army knife. I can't remember which manufacturer or which model, but I always carried that thing. I was so disgusted with not remembering to stow it away that I just let them confiscate it. Didn't even bother to try to send it to someone for safekeeping.

A year or so later, I began to think about replacing it. Couldn't find the same model. The replacement was heavier and had a different shape. It still doesn't feel right. But I have a couple of others to go along with it. My Swiss family of knives. I also have a Russel knife, just for the beauty of it; an old laminated Swedish sheath knife, works well as a neck knife; a bunch of little kitchen style knives, including three plastic coated blades with nice plastic sheathes, very sharp blades; a few others.

What do I take on the trail? Mostly one of the smallest Swiss knives. Sometimes the one with an LED light, for a backup. For the AT I might take one of the little plastic sheath knives, for cutting food and such. If I were going into the bush, I'd probably take something more serious, just for making fire and emergency use.

BrianLe
02-20-2010, 01:51
"Something critical on a thru-hike is toenail care."

"2" locking blade pocket knife, small pair of scissers, toe nail clippers - all the tools you need."

If I soak my nails (shower, tub, creek, whatever) for a while to soften them, I can cut even toenails (and certainly fingernails) with the little scissors on my 0.8 oz knife.

And a couple of times along the way on a thru-hike it seems like there's a gear switch of some sort (depending on the particular trail) --- cold weather gear to warmer or vice versa. When thus mailing things both directions from the same trail town I can have real toenail clippers sent (along with beard trimmer, other such stuff).

Between those two approaches I don't see the need to carry something designed to cut nails.

Rick500
02-20-2010, 02:05
I have a Buck Nano Bantam (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000EI0VVQ/ref=asc_df_B000EI0VVQ1037216?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=googlecom09c9-20&linkCode=asn&creative=380341&creativeASIN=B000EI0VVQ)... inexpensive, 0.6 ounce, works just fine.

Really would be nice to have something that could clip nails though.

Trailbender
02-20-2010, 02:15
http://www.knivesplus.com/CAMILLUS-KNIVES-MILITARY-BOOT.HTML

I carry the pocketknife, best one I have found yet. Got it for 15 bucks off ebay, has everything I use, a good blade, can/bottle opener, reamer, screwdriver.

Panzer1
02-20-2010, 03:03
I carry a medium size swiss army knife, weight 3.6 ounces. I use it mostly for opening beer bottles.:D:D:D

Also, I carry a lexan table knife that I use everyday for making a sandwich, cutting meat, ect. The most useful knife on the trail is a table knife.

Panzer

Gator 65
02-20-2010, 07:58
Appalachian Trail Conservancy has a perfect "swiss type" knife that has all you will need. believe me, you will always find a need for it. Go to thier website if you need to purchase a knife. The proceeds also go to supporting the trail.

Hokie
02-20-2010, 09:23

Interesting. Do you recall how much it weighs? Is the blade enough to actually saw some small limbs up for kindling if you like to make fires? Thanks!

Hokie
02-20-2010, 09:30
Trying to finish off my gear list for this years thru hike and am unsure about what I should be getting/using in regards to a knife.
Will one of the swiss army multi function ones be enough? Should I also get a regular blade in case something more heavy duty needs to be cut? Do 99% of the 20+ uses of a swiss army knife go unused and its not worth the weight?
What is a good weight for a knife anyway? What have you used/needed? Any recommendations? I searched and couldnt find a solid thread on knives so here is mine.

Thanks team!

For a knife, I am currently using the 16 gram Spyderco LadyBug3 with rustproof H1 steel plain blade.

The challenge I have is that I do like to make fires and want something that is easy to cut up small downed limbs with, so I currently also carry the Gerber Sportsman Wood Saw 46048 ($7 Amazon) - 6.5" blade that weighs 91 grams (3.2 Oz). It works fast, easy and very well, but am always looking for something lighter that actually saws.

Slack-jawed Trog
02-20-2010, 09:34
Last August on the trail in CT one of the kids (Philmont shakedown hike with the Scouts) had an equip't problem. It seems all the quick-release buckles on his (cheap) pack weren't compatible and he managed to jam [part of A] awkwardly into [part of b]. He might as well have super-glued them together... :rolleyes:

Forget fixed blade, and Swiss or "other" Army knives. The only suitable tool for the "delicate" separation was the needle nose pliers on the lone multi-tool among the crew. I got a Leatherman P-4 to replace my old Swiss Army knife in my kitchen kit.

Rocket Jones
02-20-2010, 10:26
Forget fixed blade, and Swiss or "other" Army knives. The only suitable tool for the "delicate" separation was the needle nose pliers on the lone multi-tool among the crew. I got a Leatherman P-4 to replace my old Swiss Army knife in my kitchen kit.

I've been debating with myself about knives/tools for a while now. For a long time I carried an old-style Leatherman Wave and medium sized Swiss Army Knife. Serious overkill and heavy, but I've carried them for years so I'm comfortable with them and sometimes they did come in handy.

Lately, I've been thinking about replacing both with the Leatherman Squirt S4, with the scissors instead of pliers. I'd probably still carry the saw-back knife, just to have a larger blade handy if needed.

Grinder
02-20-2010, 12:12
Hokie asks"Interesting. Do you recall how much it weighs? Is the blade enough to actually saw some small limbs up for kindling if you like to make fires? Thank"

Mine weighs just under 1/2 OZ with a twine grip.
And No, I woudn't plan on sawing anything I couldn't break by hand.

JAK
02-20-2010, 12:45
Sometimes a hefty piece will snap easier if you give it a quick scour.
Usually I try and dislocated my shoulder first, or break my shin bone.

yappy
02-20-2010, 13:00
I carry a tiny one blade knife and rarely use it. I just bite off a hunk of cheese or sausage. My spoon works great for peanut butter... but in case i need to cut anything I bring it.... if a bear gets that close to you and wants to eat you good luck... knife or not ! you are gonna need that too

DawnTreader
02-20-2010, 13:06
I carry the Leatherman squirt.... check it out

KnittingMelissa
02-20-2010, 13:13
I've carried a Leatherman Micra with me for years, on trail and off (with scissors, not pliers), and intend to take it with me on the AT. It's a light multi tool with the basic needs: scissors, nail file (ragged nails drive me up the wall), three screw drivers (one for my glasses, one phillips, one flat head), can opener, short knife, and tweezers (that really don't work well, but oh well).

And, while I know some people swear by needing pliers, I've only needed pliers twice while owning the tool. Twice, in five years, pretty much strikes me as not needing them, but I've used the scissors to death on the poor thing. It can strike firesteel for a light, it can cut a can into shape for a stove, it can cut rope, it can clean my fingernails and trim them if need be (actually use it for that fairly often now), cut yarn (yes, that's important to me), and repair my glasses. And it has an inch gauge on the side to measure with (okay, four inches isn't a lot, but, when knitting, it's pretty good, and it can measure the 1.5" needed for my stove).

So, all in all, I consider it a very important tool. But it's not going to threaten a bear or ward off a serial killer in the woods. But, then again, I'm not really looking for that in the first place, I'll have trekking poles to thwack people and bears with if the situation comes down to it.

And yes, it's stood up to hacking some pretty awful sized branches in the past, though I try to avoid torturing it like that.

yaduck9
02-20-2010, 13:25
On another forum a guy makes these from heavy sawblade stock (heavier than hacksaw, maybe recip saw?). The handle on mine is wrapped with parachute cord and the knife blade itself holds a decent edge. Occasionally having an actual saw blade comes in handy. I keep one with my gardening tools, one in my pack and have given a couple away.

I saw a knife made from a hacksaw blade used on a motorized industrial hacksaw. It was pretty neat. Maybe that was what you saw.

Spot In The Sky
02-20-2010, 14:10
The Swiss Army Knife Victorinox Climber showed up on SteepAndCheap this morning for $15 so I grabbed one, cant hurt to test it out in the field for $15.

Snowleopard
02-20-2010, 14:14
http://media.rei.com/media/mm/d9f6d017-52b1-424b-be71-7a140b55f84d.jpg
Use this lexan knife for spreading peanut butter, cutting cheese, etc, but not cutting my fingers.
Use a single edge razor blade for things that require sharpness.
[Optional] I have folding scissors that I like a lot better than the ones on the little Swiss army knife.
A little can opener.
Small tweezers for splinters and ticks; I usually lose these when I use the little Swiss Army knife.

On less traveled trails or off trail in cold weather I might carry a Mora knife or a small saw for emergency fires.

Miner
02-20-2010, 15:57
A small knife is a necessity; ie cutting cheese, opening packaging, etc. However, almost all the other tools on a multi-tool/swiss army knife are not. For the PCT I carried a tiny very sharp knife (a Spyderco Ladybug 3) that weighed about 0.6oz and was ~2 inches long. The knife worked well for everything I needed.

I also carried a small pair of scissors from a hotel sewing kit that weighed 0.35oz (only I never really needed it). I never felt the need for anything else except nail clippers (which I carried in my bounce box and used every 1.5-2 weeks).

I'm going to carry the same thing when I hike the AT.

Hokie
02-20-2010, 17:35

Do you happen to remember what forum that is. I would like to look at this option more in case it could be a light weight option to cut small limbs reasonably well. Thanks!

Grinder
02-20-2010, 17:54
Hokie
Google is your friend. first hit under "sawblade knife"

http://www.castbullet.com/makeit/knife.htm

Made from a radial saw blade.

Del Q
02-20-2010, 20:18
Lots of options, to me weight rules, I heard once of thru hikers that just carry a razor blade and though that was silly, maybe not. Cutting cheese, sausage, rope is about all I use my knife for. Less and an ounce is fine. Easy weight saver/real functionality

Rocket Jones
02-20-2010, 20:19
Do you happen to remember what forum that is. I would like to look at this option more in case it could be a light weight option to cut small limbs reasonably well. Thanks!

That's one option above. The forum I got my knives at is the Everyday Carry Forum. The guy's forum name is Fishwolf.

I did some digging and they are reciprical saw blades. He does custom shapes and sizes to order, and there is an option now to get a fitted kydex sheath. I just made a cardboard/ductape sleeve for mine which works well enough.

IIRC, I paid $10 each for mine, but this was a year or two ago.

Tatum
02-20-2010, 21:36
I've always carried a leatherman:

Leatherman Micra Tool (http://www.rei.com/product/684351)

$25 on REI or cheaper places....:-?

Mags
02-21-2010, 18:12
The tiny swiss army knife classic with the red plastic casing off (cracked and came off) and minus the tweezers/toothpick. Add a p-38 (http://www.georgia-outfitters.com/page52.shtml) to it. Can slice cheese, open food packages, etc. The p-38 has many different uses (It can open beer..I'm happy) and it did not even register on my scale that weighs up to .125 oz. Weighs .5 oz total IIRC.

KISS.

Keeping with Garlic's theme, I have a small leatherman-type tool for backcountry skiing.

Different goals, different tools.

BrianLe
02-21-2010, 18:42
I did carry a p-38 on the PCT, and in ~5 months I never used it. It's so light that I'm taking it on the AT too, as --- who knows --- at some point I might find something in a can that I really want to open. But realistically I probably shouldn't bother. Even if I do find a can I want opened, in some cases cans these days have an easy-open ring-pull built in.

Wise Old Owl
02-21-2010, 19:35
Lots of options, to me weight rules, I heard once of thru hikers that just carry a razor blade and though that was silly, maybe not. Cutting cheese, sausage, rope is about all I use my knife for. Less and an ounce is fine. Easy weight saver/real functionality

Out of all the replys this stood out. Over the years Swiss knifes have ruled in popularity for handy domestic things like fixing a broken or split toenail on the trail. As a survival tool they clearly are not worthy. If one is in a bad way out in the woods I cannot recommend any stainless steel knife that is going to go dull quickly when working with wood and common outside items. Swiss keeps very clean when working with food so it negates the need for a lexan knife. My answer is keep an open mind, go ahead and use a small swiss for some things and a second "locking blade with a serrated part" for other things.

Here is a three oz Shrade as an example.

Great for working wood, vine, splitting, etc.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/1/5/5/2/kinfe.jpg

This is one of the few area's doubling up is not a problem. The real issue here is I never think of this as a weapon, I always think about how I can get out of a jam in a bad situation. This I can use to make a fire without matches etc.

I liked the saw blade post, but I would want a decent handle for it.

Wheeler
02-21-2010, 19:40
I carry a small pocketknife with clip. I'm a commercial fisherman and this is ingrained in my brain. A swiss army will cut your pepperoni. Twice, I've been attacked by dogs;once, the owner heard me yelling at the dog;I had my knife out(because it was accessible) but didn't require it. The other time, the dog had nobody with him, and I was forced to dispatch him( he came flying out of the brush and WAS DEFINITELY ATTACKING).It's true I never tried to "tweeze" him to death."Stand by while I take my pack off and dig for my puny multi-tool." I've had dogs my whole life, and love them.If you're not O.K. with dogs you're not ok with me,but I had no choice, and scars to prove it. Doubt that knife would've helped with a bear. ymmv. Can you guess what my advice is? A sharp,2-3 inch blade pocketknife with a clip should be all you need. I realize some of you are gonna get bent, but facts is facts.

mweinstone
02-21-2010, 19:40
what sword should i bring on a thruhike?

Wheeler
02-21-2010, 19:43

One with a pocketclip lol

mweinstone
02-21-2010, 19:44
your knife is your soul. pick one or get one from lwolf as a gift .if you pick one,and then are given one by lwolf, you must destroy your picked knife, and only ever use the knife lwolf gave you. and you must buy a second knife exactly as the one lwolf gave you and if you loose the one, lie and use the other in its place telling no one. and if by chance you found the lost one, still...no one must know of the looseing. and in lwolfs presence you must never posses both knives for him to see and theirby fine you out and call you a hippy.

Wheeler
02-21-2010, 19:50
you can also take a folding knife, and remove the blade,therefore lighting your load.

Wise Old Owl
02-21-2010, 20:02

One with a pocketclip lol

The one with the big belt loop.

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:DW-f1DeD_UpZcM:http://www.kaswords.com/ProductImages/movie_swords/kill_bill_swords/SW-320-3-02.jpg (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.kaswords.com/ProductImages/movie_swords/kill_bill_swords/SW-320-3-02.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.kaswords.com/browseproducts/Kill-Bill-Movie-Katana-Swords-With-Display-Stand.html&usg=__aNHhHwytc_jGvhR2ooK9AWBe1T8=&h=450&w=450&sz=54&hl=en&start=9&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=DW-f1DeD_UpZcM:&tbnh=127&tbnw=127&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dmovie%2Bswords%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26s afe%3Doff%26sa%3DN%26rlz%3D1G1GGLQ_ENUS303%26tbs%3 Disch:1)

Wheeler
02-21-2010, 20:06
one for each ****beater

fiddlehead
02-21-2010, 22:03
Ginzu paring knife is what i used to use.
they are hard to find anymore though.
I hiked with a guy who never carried a knife.
He used his teeth for opening things and spread butter/mayo with his spoon handle.
Keep it simple.

Wheeler
02-22-2010, 00:47
How would yer teeth/spoon work on an attacker? honestly? seems replies died after my story. told ya people would get bent....crickets.............

m_factor
02-22-2010, 08:21
Count me in amongst those that rarely needs a knife. I do use scissors with some frequency though.

I find the tiny Swiss Army knife with scissors (or equivalent multitool) is enough for me. I'm more likely to use the knife for cheese or salami than anything else. I can even use the scissors for finger and toenail trimming (try this at home before relying on it). It's not all that quick compared to clippers, but it's enough. There are plenty of options out there for 1.5 ounces (45 grams) or less.

I do see plenty of people who do carry and make use of larger knives. Often they use them because they have them rather than because they need them.

As for fending off wildlife, I wouldn't know what to do with a knife anyway. Besides, why let the attacking animal get that close when I've got hiking poles?

Mara
Stitches, AT99

Slo-go'en
02-22-2010, 12:40
I used to carry the classic, heavy duty Buck knife. The one with the brass and wood handle and 3" blade. Used it to cut back a lot of brush growing into the trail as I hiked along. Anything less than 1/2" around and in the way was fair game.

I once spent a day in the Sugerloaf ski gondola warming hut (when they used to let you stay there) during a day of cold, heavy rain in the fall. There was a wood stove there, but the only thing to burn was a 6" square piece of timber which was too long to fit into the stove. So I spent the better part of the day cutting a notch in the timber with my trusty Buck until I could break it in two and fit it into the stove. Used the shavings from cutting it in half to start the fire. The couple of hikers who came in later that day soaking wet and near hypothermic really appreciated that fire in the stove!

flemdawg1
02-22-2010, 13:45
Leatherman Juice S2 is what I carry. Scissors, small knife blade, can opener, a couple of screwdrivers (not that I need those on the trail), and I use the pliers for my pot gripper.

peakbagger
02-22-2010, 14:00
I use a swiss army with a pair of tweezers and a magnifying lens. I have pulled off a couple of deer tick nymphs over the years and they are so small, I need the magnifying lens to detemine what they are and the tweezers to pull them out without smashing them.

Wise Old Owl
02-26-2010, 16:24
I use a swiss army with a pair of tweezers and a magnifying lens. I have pulled off a couple of deer tick nymphs over the years and they are so small, I need the magnifying lens to detemine what they are and the tweezers to pull them out without smashing them.

Peak you shouldn't be picking off any ticks... you need to spray up the pants with deet & pyritheren, or Deep Woods Off.

Mags
02-26-2010, 16:32
As a survival tool they clearly are not worthy. If one is in a bad way out in the woods I cannot recommend any stainless steel knife that is going to go dull quickly when working with wood and common outside items.

I, for one, always need a survival tool when I am as much as five miles away from a major road in the most 'remote' part of the most used foot path in the world. Esp when I have my backpack, food, shelter and a sleeping bag. :D

10-K
02-26-2010, 17:33
Gerber Shortcut, 2.5 ozs, $12.00. Carried it on every hike.

(those are scissors, not pliers)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41cytaSx0bL._SL500_AA280_.jpg (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B0009JVEKM/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=228013&s=hi)

SunnyWalker
02-27-2011, 21:21
The knife I recommend is a KaBar Becker Necker. Terrific knife for hiking. Check it out.

JP
02-27-2011, 23:07
How would yer teeth/spoon work on an attacker? honestly? seems replies died after my story. told ya people would get bent....crickets.............
Just pull out your 6 Dcell maglight and clobber them.

LDog
02-28-2011, 00:11
I agonize over this. Clearly I'll have the occasional need to cut rope, whittle a tent stake, perform field surgery ... But mostly I'll probably need to cut a bagel, smear some peanut butter on it, slice some cheese or maybe a nice greazy salami. So a lightweight knife with a blade that'll take some abuse, while spreading butter seemed to be in order. The one I carry in my pocket every day seems to be the one:
http://www.crkt.com/crkt/content/images_inv/c/v/239/CRM16-01T_xlarge_6144_full_239.jpg
http://www.crkt.com/m16-01-edc-titanium-frame-autolawks-razor-sharp-edge

However, I can see the need for a multitool kinda thing, and this'll be tucked in my pack:

http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/public/aX_sBzfhgnEV6KbaCOLuu5n7bYhi4bsfZCqEpT2_QWqox8cUhl GNGGs2_23nTiR3NOGEoZXICAInbBwuTuRevgiZBp3zohpViSTc 5Zv1AgE7OAGCgZIiICnxaaJrX6AKGTZph9DvUIt5rvAwbbfSr4 Tlep_0x7aZLgDa_7MxZFPQoVcshBIJtrFNcX9vvZ62oln8Zg7_ ul7KWMPXKfrQG3yzPAkpGYCEBC5LOs3Ftenm0gV3V0FGEdsrcb O9Jd72REVNyyv8HWjawbQmU_qs2KFwfWGCvnmmTAM
http://www.leatherman.com/product/Micra

But what if I need to split wood for a fire? Or chop down small trees to make a litter to carry out some injured hiker? Or build a raft to float down a river? Or fight a bear, or a <shudder> crazed ax murderer? Clearly *this* is the knife to have:

http://www.knifeworks.com/images/products/display/KA5600.jpg

That weight forward kurkri style blade rivals a hatchet for chopping power. Muy macho ... Sweet as that is, at almost a pound, it does tend to violate my UL sensibilities, so I found this:

http://www.knifecenter.com/knifecenter/coldsteel/images/95bbusblog.jpg

At 9.8 ozs, it'll still split wood, plus you can shove a stick in the handle and turn it into a spear - useful for trout fishing and fighting off zombies!

So, as you can see, it's important to approach this subject from an operational perspective. Figure out the tasks for which you're most likely to need a knife and pick the lightest one that has the blade shape that'll spread cold peanut butter on a bagel ... :D

bflorac
02-28-2011, 00:23
I carry a Gerber 2", locking pocket knife. It is all I have ever used beside my toenail clippers (must have). However, to be honest I have tossed in my Leatherman Squirt P4 in the past as I like the feeing of having pliers if needed. That said, I don't think I have ever used it except for the bottle opener!

EastCoastFeastCoast
02-28-2011, 09:26
http://www.gerber-tools.com/Gerber-Gator-Mate-fine-6149.htm

You can get one for about 20 bucks, best knife I've ever used. Had one since I was a wee little boy scout.

LDog
02-28-2011, 09:34
The Benchmade 530 is a full sized knife that only weighs 1.8 oz
http://www.rei.com/product/737697

http://media.rei.com/media/694964.jpg

Sickmont
02-28-2011, 11:25
http://www.knivesplus.com/CAMILLUS-KNIVES-MILITARY-BOOT.HTML

I carry the pocketknife, best one I have found yet. Got it for 15 bucks off ebay, has everything I use, a good blade, can/bottle opener, reamer, screwdriver.

I have one of those ones stamped "U.S.". My dad gave it to me 25 years ago. He got it in the 60's sometime. He used to carry it everday. I did for a while too but ever since he passed away i just keep it as an heirlom and a reminder of him. I have to say it is one of the best knives i've EVER had.

IceAge
02-28-2011, 13:20
I have this little number:

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/ciu/df/8e/49be810ae7a0cb28f4f50210.L.jpg

Koji Hara Ichi - 2.5 inch blade and it weighs just over an ounce. Works for my needs, especially since its designed to open one-handed.

Edited to add: Sheesh, this picture is bigger than life-size. Trust me, it is a small but sturdy knife

Shiraz-mataz
02-28-2011, 13:26
For ALL your cutting needs!

http://gearjunkie.com/images/5414.jpg

IceAge
02-28-2011, 13:30
Needs a plasma torch

Sickmont
02-28-2011, 13:39
For ALL your cutting needs!

http://gearjunkie.com/images/5414.jpg

HEY! Thats the "MacGyver" edition swiss army knife! I've always wanted one.

TheYoungOne
02-28-2011, 14:07
Chilly Willy what knife is this. I never seen it before.

Anyway the knives I have are.

http://sogknives.com/images/flash/SOGAC77/pic1.jpg

SOG Access card 2.0. $50 weighs only 1.8oz 2 3/4" blade. So light and thin you don't know you are carrying it.

http://www.cloudymind.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/leatherman-skeletool-1000.jpg

Leatherman Skeletool 5oz 3" knife, pliers, scredriver, bottle opener. About $65.

http://www.rei.com/product/802109

I also have one of the dajo survival knives someone mention earlier, its OK since it weighs 6oz and is a 3.6" fixed blade with a fire starter and emergency whistle. If anything I usually just toss it in my daypack, just in case my lighter fails or I need a better knife then teh one in my pocket.

http://testedbestproducts.com/productImages/239_1-Revolver%203%20Pic.jpg
I also just bought a SOG seal revolver, which is a 4.75" Knife and Saw combo that also weigh 6oz and cost $30. I basically bought it to use with a wood burning stove. It should handle cutting up and splitting branches up to 2" thick, but I have not tested it yet. Having both a saw and a knife for 6oz total seemed like a good deal.

LDog
02-28-2011, 22:28
Chilly Willy what knife is this. I never seen it before.

That's the KABAR Potbelly. Full tang, 1095 carbon steel, 12 5/8" Overall length, 7 1/8". It's a heavy blade, with the weight forward making it great chopper. The blade is thick enough that it could be battoned. I have one, but I wouldn't carry it on a thru-hike ... Well, unless I was worried about zombies, or packs of crank-addled pitbulls ...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0039B9GWU

fiddlehead
02-28-2011, 23:56
Seems to me that the more experienced the hiker, the smaller his knife.
Last thru I did in 2002 with Pieps, he didn't carry any knife.
Just bit things with his teeth or broke bread and cheese with his hands.

I usually carry a small "Ginzu" paring knife but have already just carried a single edged razor blade. I'm probably not the gram weenie i once was. Just try everything once.
( I don't mind carrying the ginzu and as old as my gear is now, it helps when i'm repairing things)

But of course, I started out with the buck knife, then went to the swiss army, then the single pocket knife, but the Ginzu is smaller, lighter, sharper than any of them and cuts everything i ever need cut: garlic, cheese, bread, string, sharpen pencils, padlocks, tent stakes, etc.

4Bears
03-01-2011, 00:49
My favorite knife for everday and on the trail is the Gerber Magnum LST holds an edge better than any I've had and at less than 2 ounces tough to beat, as for a multi-tool :-? it depends on how remote an area I plan on hiking, the jury is still out.

TNjed
03-01-2011, 00:53
I've been carrying a ninja sword lately but its kind of in the way, any suggestions on how to pack it better? I only hike with a fanny pack so....

wounded_knee
03-07-2011, 19:50
I have made about 7 of each and will continue to make a few more till our March 20 departure. If left hanging in a shelter along the GSMNP AT, would they be appreciated?

vamelungeon
03-07-2011, 20:15
Colin Fletcher used and recommended the Victorinox Tinker (The Complete Walker IV) and the Victorinox Classic.

Espero
03-07-2011, 20:45
I carry a Wenger Diplomat. Its a bit bigger than the Victorinox Classic with the same implements and all I need. I use the scissors the most. http://www.wengerna.com/diplomat-16149

kayak karl
03-07-2011, 21:01
I have made about 7 of each and will continue to make a few more till our March 20 departure. If left hanging in a shelter along the GSMNP AT, would they be appreciated?
NO its like beer left on trail. kids my get to it first. even if parents are with them.

kayak karl
03-07-2011, 21:06
NO its like beer left on trail. kids my get to it first. even if parents are with them.
but maybe leave with a hostel owner to give out :)

Ogre
03-09-2011, 03:51
However, to be honest I have tossed in my Leatherman Squirt P4 in the past as I like the feeing of having pliers if needed. That said, I don't think I have ever used it except for the bottle opener!

I have one each of the pliers and scissors models. The pliers model has a small Swiss army style scissors on it too. So you'd think it would be the best of both. But I find I use the stupid little scissors way more than the pliers and get frustrated that they're not as good as the scissors model.

The only time the pliers really came in handy was pulling cholla (cactus) needles out of someone else's boots. Not much cactus on the AT I'd wager. I think I'm bringing the scissors. But I'm still having a hard time convincing myself I won't ever need the pliers. Someone mentioned using them as a pot gripper, going to have to go try that, thanks for the idea!

Penguin
03-09-2011, 03:56
Maybe I missed the point here or something when I started thinking about being a pretty light hiker, concerned about frivolous weight that I won't need on the trail. Seriously what use is a knife on the trail. The first time I took a stroll down the PCT, back in '07 I carried the Tempest by Buck. It's a kind of switch blade that's legal, and will entertain a good honest god fearing American for hours hiking, hitting that button and watching that sleek blade fly out. Yelling stuff like "Ey CheVato!" Somehow everything I needed it for could be replaced by a lexon spoon from REI. The spoon cut cheese fine, spread Nutella and Peanut butter, stirred my food, sliced my Polska Kielbasa just fine (my special treat to myself on my day out of town. Kielbasa and Kraft Mac n' Cheese, my favorite. There really no uses that I needed a knife for. When I had bad bearanoia, I would collapse a walking stick and sleep with that. I figure a collapsed Leki point would deliver more of the message you wanted to a beer then a blade. Oh and I saved a few ounces! Wow just that simple. I got rid of something that was completely non-essential from my pack! Wow next time I did PCT with no knife and I did not die. This year is for thee ATizzay though, and ounce again my lexon spoon will be my weapon of choice in my war on Nutella, and Polish sausage.

It would seriously be weird being in a shelter with a bunch of people showing off there knives. I did see Deliverance, and I'm currently reading a book entitled, "Confronting Appalachian Stereotypes", by Billings, Norman, and Ledford, so I realize the south is a treacherous place for a dashing young bird such as myself. I think I will be safe, and I'm comfortable with the spoon.

Oh forgot to add, the uses that I use my knife for around my house, I found on trail, a loose unraveling strand of Barb wire, or a pine needle will work fine on.

Cheers guys, remember though traveling light, is the only way to fly.

Guino

Blue Jay
03-09-2011, 08:31
Maybe I missed the point here or something when I started thinking about being a pretty light hiker, concerned about frivolous weight that I won't need on the trail. Seriously what use is a knife on the trail.

You need something to slice garlic, but that's about it.:sun

Grinder
03-09-2011, 10:22
followup on the "hacksaw knife" post.

I used the hacksaw knife for a few years. I finally realized the following:
1.The hacksaw knife had to be stored in my cookpot.
2. I usually needed it while walking, which meant I had to remove my pack and unpack part way.

So: I bought a small pocket knife. This has worked out well. It's available when need it for a weight penalty of about 1 oz.

skooch
03-09-2011, 14:35
Maybe I missed the point here or something when I started thinking about being a pretty light hiker, concerned about frivolous weight that I won't need on the trail. Seriously what use is a knife on the trail. The first time I took a stroll down the PCT, back in '07 I carried the Tempest by Buck. It's a kind of switch blade that's legal, and will entertain a good honest god fearing American for hours hiking, hitting that button and watching that sleek blade fly out. Yelling stuff like "Ey CheVato!" Somehow everything I needed it for could be replaced by a lexon spoon from REI. The spoon cut cheese fine, spread Nutella and Peanut butter, stirred my food, sliced my Polska Kielbasa just fine (my special treat to myself on my day out of town. Kielbasa and Kraft Mac n' Cheese, my favorite. There really no uses that I needed a knife for. When I had bad bearanoia, I would collapse a walking stick and sleep with that. I figure a collapsed Leki point would deliver more of the message you wanted to a beer then a blade. Oh and I saved a few ounces! Wow just that simple. I got rid of something that was completely non-essential from my pack! Wow next time I did PCT with no knife and I did not die. This year is for thee ATizzay though, and ounce again my lexon spoon will be my weapon of choice in my war on Nutella, and Polish sausage.

It would seriously be weird being in a shelter with a bunch of people showing off there knives. I did see Deliverance, and I'm currently reading a book entitled, "Confronting Appalachian Stereotypes", by Billings, Norman, and Ledford, so I realize the south is a treacherous place for a dashing young bird such as myself. I think I will be safe, and I'm comfortable with the spoon.

Oh forgot to add, the uses that I use my knife for around my house, I found on trail, a loose unraveling strand of Barb wire, or a pine needle will work fine on.

Cheers guys, remember though traveling light, is the only way to fly.

Guino

Thanks for bringing up the "uses" part of this thread. I'm hoping ya'll can tell me what you use a knife for while hiking. Thanks

Harrison Bergeron
03-09-2011, 20:04
Some things aren't negotiable. I wouldn't go to the garage without my pocket knife. I'd certainly never consider taking a 2000 mile hike in the woods without one.

A knife is the most basic human tool. To say you don't need one is like a cat saying he doesn't need his claws because his master provides for everything. Modern man may not NEED a pocketknife to take a walk in the woods. But I personally insist on the option of surviving even if something happened to prevent the cocoon of the modern world from supporting my hike (or my morning commute, for that matter). Nothing increases your odds more in a survival situation than a knife.

I'm human. I don't have claws, fangs, strength, or size. I have a brain. And a knife.

Penguin
03-09-2011, 20:28
Nothing increases your odds more in a survival situation than a knife.

That's true if it's a survival situation involving knives. On trail though you just won't run into one of these. Don't want to start an argument here. The only survival situations on the trail that your ever likely to encounter deal with hypothermia, or hyponatremia and in either cases the knife won't get you far.

There's a interesting Muir quote that applies here, he asks why everybody makes such a fuss out of attributing fears and thinking that evil waits in the wilderness, when in fact it is a benign land blessed by god. I forget the exact quote, but totally true.

swjohnsey
03-09-2011, 23:50
Think I would rather be without my pants than without my knife. I am a savage.

endubyu
03-10-2011, 00:22
Don't NEED a spare tire when you're driving - betcha carry one

vamelungeon
03-10-2011, 06:08
I can't imagine not carrying a pocketknife, on the trail or off.

skooch
03-10-2011, 09:06
So I have never owned a pocket knife. It would help me to know what you've actually used it for. I know what I've used a spare tire for.

swjohnsey
03-10-2011, 09:28
I have opened multiple bottle of wine (mine has a corkscrew), cut my toenails, cut rope, potatoes. Poked holes, fixed stuff that had a loose screws, sawed small limbs and some not so small and encouraged a couple of gypsies in a park in Pamplona, Spain to find another victim.

Skidsteer
03-10-2011, 09:45
So I have never owned a pocket knife. It would help me to know what you've actually used it for. I know what I've used a spare tire for.

They're wonderful for keeping your fingernails clean.

JAK
03-10-2011, 10:09
I think there is some value in some items of your kit being durable and attractive, so that they become keepsakes you will have and carry for many years. Of course they must also be highly functional and practical, to be worth carrying. The extra durability and attractiveness doesn't neccessarily mean they need to be heavier or more expensive, and it could still be hand-made. Also, you never really know what items might become long term keep-sakes, until years down the trail you find you still have some items, and they become part of you, and help keep you going, like good friends.

Mags
03-10-2011, 10:20
Don't NEED a spare tire when you're driving - betcha carry one

How would I shift and steer if I am carrying a tire while driving?????:confused:

TheYoungOne
03-10-2011, 14:40

I know this can be a hot topic, but a knife does have 101 uses on the trail. You are on a thru hike miles from town an you break a shoelace, so you decide to cut a portion of your bear bag line to make new ones.

You want to make a fire but you have no paper or tinder, so you make a fuzz stick with your knife.

You set up your tent, and realize your missing a stake. Just carve a new one out of a stick.

Need to spread Peanut butter, or cut up food, use your knife.

You buy something in town and you cannot get the package upon by hand - use your knife.

Backpack Strap is too long or you ground cloth is too big, cut it down you have a knife.

Loose thread on clothing, when you pull it more unravels out, so you cut it.

Forgot or lost your trowel :eek: , no worried dig the cathole out with the heel of your boot and a sturdy knife

You hike to a shelter or a resting spot and some Wicca idiots decided that "leave no Trace" does not apply to them, and there is candle wax everwhere, you can scrape up the wax with a knife. (unfortunately that is a true story)

You need to make any makeshift equipment, or repair you have a knife as a possible tool.

And for defense, while a small pocket knife is not the best thing in the world it is much better then just crying for help when attack by 2 or 4 legged beast.

Can you get away with not carrying a knife, sure you can, but like the old saying goes, its better to have a knife and not need it, then to need a knife and not have it.

middle to middle
03-10-2011, 14:43
corkscrew - never be without one

Sickmont
03-10-2011, 15:13
To each his or her own, but since i've been carrying one for years now why would i stop carrying one just because i went on a hike?

beakerman
03-10-2011, 15:25
All i ever carry is my little 2" gerber. I clip it to my pocket right after I button my pants in the morning and it comes out right before I unbotton them...I never go anywhere or do anything without my knife. I use it everyday around the house or work and everytime I'm out in the woods.

I can open any package with it rather than try to tear the package open and watch my grub take the plunge to the ground. I can fix almost any gear I have with it and the innards of my 550 cord. I cn start a fire if needed, or wanted as the case may be. I can make tent stakes, splint busted tent poles...well pretty much anything.

In short more so than an American Express card I'd never leave home without it.

blackbird04217
03-10-2011, 16:05
You buy something in town and you cannot get the package upon by hand - use your knife.

Heh, funny story. Someone who didn't have a knife borrowed mine to open a package. Handed it back. Several hours later on the trail I went to use it and found that one of the pivots had been damaged. Luckily the knife blade was still strong but I find it funny how many people ask for things they don't have.

I very likely fell victim to it a few times as well. Near the end of my hike I stayed together with a few friends, and one carried maps. I had used the guide throughout and saw the maps for really the first time with a good look, and found the maps more interesting than I had expected sitting back home figuring out what I needed...

But I stick with the "better to have and not need, than to need and not have".

hikerboy57
03-10-2011, 16:14
I always have my swiss army knife, but I find I never had to use it. I carry a single edge razor blade that cuts just as well as a knife, and although I wouldnt do without my "security blanket", when Im on the trail, there are no corked bottles lying around, no cans to open, no screws to screw, phillips head or otherwise, a single blade is all I need.
But then, you never know...

LDog
03-10-2011, 20:48
I started an inside joke among my work mates some time ago. Any time something was hard to open, needed to be unscrewed, needed to be pried, coaxed, reached ... I'd say, "Well, this job needs a highly specialized tool. Fortunately, I just happen to have it with me!" Then I'd pull out my pocket knife.

SunnyWalker
03-10-2011, 21:56
Man, I know the multi-tool is heaveier then my Becker Necker but it sure is a neat toy! I know i"ll take them BOTH!! (pray for me).

mkmangold
03-11-2011, 00:20
Chilly Willy: got a link to the 4th one? I can't make out the name.

LDog
03-11-2011, 00:33
Chilly Willy: got a link to the 4th one? I can't make out the name.

That's the Cold Steel Bushman. Lots of reviews online. A little big for spreading peanut butter onna a bagel ...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001B850LY

RWBlue
03-11-2011, 01:44
I know something about knives, but I am not a knife expert. I try to test my knifes to understand the benefits and negatives. This means using them, not abusing them.

All knife steel is not the same.

Swiss Army knives are soft. This means they should not break, but it also means that they need sharpening more often. Maybe this is ok. You can put a proper sharpening set into the bounce box. And you are not just taking it along for the knife.

Victorinox makes a better swiss army knife than Wenger.

I have tried all the milti-tools. I prefer the Gerbers from a few years back. I have been told that some of the current gerbers have plastic parts that will break. Don't buy the ones with the plastic parts.

I have a Spyderco CTS-XHP. This is an excellent hard steel knife, but it was a limited run so you might have a hard time finding it. They make the same model out of a lesser steel. It would still be a good knife, but not the great knife.

For a slightly lighter knife, Kershaw CPM-D2. This is a smaller knife. It is in D2. This is an excellent knife. I prefer a drop point for many uses, but this would work pretty well on the trail.

Nearly Normal
03-11-2011, 02:01
I've got a few Pocket knives.
Work, everyday, fishing, bird, Sunday go to meetin.......
Just take a light, cheap, sharp one and put it in you're pocket.

vamelungeon
03-11-2011, 07:59
For instance, last year I was on a hike on a local trail and putting on my boots. One of the metal hooks broke right off as I was lacing them up. I used my knife to cut a hole through the boot material to make an eye for the lace. The material was very tough and if I hadn't had my knife I couldn't have fixed it. I didn't have a nail, piece of barbed wire, or anything else to punch through that boot material. The "repair" is still in use.

skooch
03-11-2011, 10:20
Nice. boot repair, food, package opening, cutting rope. these are good examples. I posed this question yesterday while standing at the knife counter at an outfitter. They had an extensive inventory but were dumbfounded by question. One of the salesmen said that I could cut a section of my shirt off to wrap up my arm if I happen to fall down and get a puncture wound. I said I thought that was one of my bandana's uses. He thought his idea was needed in case I lost my bandana. I simply thanked him. I'd still appeciate any more wisdom from ya'll. I'm bringing a small swiss army-ish knife and I like the razor blade idea.

Espero
03-11-2011, 12:17
I carry a Victorinox Rambler with me everyday, It has a small blade, scissors, nail file with screw driver tip, bottle opener with magnetic Phillips screwdriver tip, wire stripper, toothpick, and tweezers. At one time, or another, I've used every implement. It might be all you need. Not bad at only 1 oz.
http://www.swissarmy.com/multitools/Pages/Product.aspx category=everyday&product=54031&

Bugz
03-11-2011, 12:23
Nice. boot repair, food, package opening, cutting rope. these are good examples. I posed this question yesterday while standing at the knife counter at an outfitter. They had an extensive inventory but were dumbfounded by question. One of the salesmen said that I could cut a section of my shirt off to wrap up my arm if I happen to fall down and get a puncture wound. I said I thought that was one of my bandana's uses. He thought his idea was needed in case I lost my bandana. I simply thanked him. I'd still appeciate any more wisdom from ya'll. I'm bringing a small swiss army-ish knife and I like the razor blade idea.

I find it funny they let somebody work the knife counter at an outfitter without knowing what knives were used for. :-?

swjohnsey
03-11-2011, 12:37
Last week he worked in the paint department at Lowes.

Tenderheart
03-11-2011, 12:48
Don't carry a knife at all.

Litefoot 2000

swantekkie
03-11-2011, 12:53
I know people are always worried about weight, but when it comes to a knife I don't spare ounces. I like to know my knife can do everything I need. Unless you invest, most lock blades dull, bend and break easy. I use the gerber big rock http://www.amazon.com/Gerber-22-41588-Rock-Knife-Serrated/dp/B000VX4ZZC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1299861551&sr=8-2 Although it's a bit heavy, It has an extra thick blade so I can use it for anything and not worry about it breaking. This thing is bomb proof. As a carpenter I know that razor blades break easily and dull even faster. And anyone who has tried to cut something with just a razor blade knows that your hand can slip and cut yourself easily. No doctors in the backcountry. To me it worth the weight to have something versatile and easy to grip. I do like the hacksaw/reciprocating saw knives, clever, but I know those blades bend very easily as well. Good emergency knife though. If you don't use your knife for much I would definitely make one of those. But if your like me and use a knife for everything, get something that will last.

TheYoungOne
03-11-2011, 16:02
The only thing that gets me about a razor blade, is I don't think the weight saving really helps, because a loose razor blade is kind of unsafe to use and carry, and it makes a really lousy knife. You cannot pry, crave wood, or spread peanut butter with a razor blade, and cutting food and other chores would be difficult at best.

There are plenty of knives that are under 3oz that can do a much better job then a razor blade. I rather carry an ounce or two more weight then split my thumb open trying to cut something with a razor blade, or to have a loose razor blade cut a hole in my pack.

10-K
03-11-2011, 16:07
You cannot pry, crave wood, or spread peanut butter with a razor blade, and cutting food and other chores would be difficult at best.

Everybody knows you spread peanut butter with a stick.... :)

Bugz
03-11-2011, 17:33
The only thing that gets me about a razor blade, is I don't think the weight saving really helps, because a loose razor blade is kind of unsafe to use and carry, and it makes a really lousy knife. You cannot pry, crave wood, or spread peanut butter with a razor blade, and cutting food and other chores would be difficult at best.

There are plenty of knives that are under 3oz that can do a much better job then a razor blade. I rather carry an ounce or two more weight then split my thumb open trying to cut something with a razor blade, or to have a loose razor blade cut a hole in my pack.

I agree. I think a lot of people try to cut weight in the wrong areas.

More often than not, I'd rather save time/hassle than a few ounces.

swantekkie
03-11-2011, 18:13
couldnt agree more. shave ounces elsewhere. When you get in trouble your knife could be your best friend.

hikerboy57
03-11-2011, 18:26
i remember one time seeing a bear down the trail a bit. after taking several minutes to rummage through my pack for my Swiss Army Knife, deftly popped out the corkscrew attachment, and when I looked back down the trail, the bear was gone!!!

TheYoungOne
03-15-2011, 13:11

I like creamy peanut butter, not chunky :D

RWBlue
03-15-2011, 18:06

That wasn't peanut butter.
:eek:

skooch
03-15-2011, 21:59
Teee Heee Heee

cabbagehead
03-10-2013, 01:01
Has anyone tried this?
http://www.buckknives.com/index.cfm?event=product.detail&productID=3563
.5 oz
The gimping looks a little weird, but I like s30v.

cabbagehead
03-10-2013, 01:10

Never use a human and a stick to do a robot's work.

TheYoungOne
03-14-2013, 15:17
Seem way too small to be handy. Sure .5oz is ultra light but why get a tiny sub 2" knife when you can get a more functional knives that weighs 1 to 3 ounces.

http://themartialist.net/images/hartsook01.jpg (http://www.whiteblaze.net/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=+buck+hartsook&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=70H0epCuFVmfzM&tbnid=fygPwpYRRzKgyM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fthemartialist.net%2Fhartsook.htm&ei=qx5CUeL0GLLa2wWF6oHQAw&bvm=bv.43287494,d.dmg&psig=AFQjCNFiVaw5p2mmT4iC0C_P2oxSw1Ar_w&ust=1363374116472726)