PDA

View Full Version : Maildrop in Catawba,VA.

hikingshoes
02-19-2010, 22:46
I just did my resupply/maildrops Itinerary for my section hike(April21,2010)GA/HF,WV..But i was just wondering about the maildrop in Catawba,VA.,My maildrops are maps only and thats where ill chg out maps and mail back the maps ive use.If anyone has any information on this little town please let me know.Thanks,HS

Lilred
02-19-2010, 23:25
Little is the operative word. It consists of a general store and a post office. It also has one of the best ayce's on the trail.

Blissful
02-19-2010, 23:28
Just wait until Daleville (I81 Interchange) and resupply there (great Kroger there). No maildrop needed. You can easily do Catawba to Daleville in one day. Esp with the rerouting they have done (easy now). Stop at the Homeplace for dinner.

And you need to look at data books for your section. Download (http://www.aldha.org/comp_pdf.htm) the ALDHA guide for last year to give you an idea.

Jack Tarlin
02-20-2010, 18:03
Catawba (Rt. 311) to the Daleville Rd. is just under 20 miles.

It's a good, solid day, and I'm not sure I'd describe it as "easy", especially as if the weather's nice, most people like to take long breaks at both McAfee Knob and Tinker Cliffs.

I think it better to do this stretch over 2 days, unless you want to arrive at Daleville quite tired at the end of the day. I'd rather get there earlier on the second day, leaving time to shop, go to the outfitter, etc.

Blissful
02-20-2010, 20:39
With the rerouting and taking out the steep climbs its much easier. Its all switchback now, much less rocks and not hard ('07 it was a killer). I just did it last year. I met the trail maintainer doing it. But true, it is worth enjoying the views if you happen to get good weather.

Canada Goose
02-20-2010, 20:53
Catawba (Rt. 311) to the Daleville Rd. is just under 20 miles.

It's a good, solid day, and I'm not sure I'd describe it as "easy", especially as if the weather's nice, most people like to take long breaks at both McAfee Knob and Tinker Cliffs.

I think it better to do this stretch over 2 days, unless you want to arrive at Daleville quite tired at the end of the day. I'd rather get there earlier on the second day, leaving time to shop, go to the outfitter, etc.

I heartily agree! Left Catawba Mtn shelter early am, arriving Daleville around 5 pm. Breaks at McAfee Knob, Tinker Cliffs, and Lambert's Meadow shelter for lunch. After Lambert's Meadow, the roller coaster began; up 100', down 100', all the way to the power lines. Rocky trail. Ass was whooped :(. Arrived at Daleville. Looked around. Spotted gas station with convenience store. Ate ice cream. Drank Beer. Slowly recovered....:)

Disclaimer; Was doing a section hike from Pearisburg. As thru hiker, I probably would have had better fitness/stamina. Still....

hikingshoes
02-21-2010, 20:50
Thanks for the information and your input.Thanks,HS

Appalachian Tater
02-21-2010, 21:45
Your idea to switch out maps in Catawba is a good one. I had replacement shoes sent there. It is an easy, scenic, and relatively safe roadwalk and the post office employees are friendly and helpful. There is a spigot on the side of the building.

The general store has great deli sandwiches, salads and baked goods and you can easily get resupply to last until Daleville. The AYCE there is supposed to be really good if you are there later in the day. So you would probably want to go there just to eat, regardless of maps.

While Daleville is not much farther, and has a lot of restaurants, hotels, a friendly outfitter and a huge grocery store practically right on the trail, the post office is quite a ways down the busy highway not near anywhere else you'll be going.

carobe
02-22-2010, 14:22
Sounds like you may have already made up your mind, but I second Blissful's recommendation of Daleville. Better facilities available for your time off-trail.

Yahtzee
02-22-2010, 14:59
I have been through Catawba three times and, IMO, it is a must stop. Yes, it is merely a P.O and a general store, but is also has the Home Place (at least I think the restaurant is still open). Further, the Catawba Valley is some of the prettiest land in this country. Sure, it's not mountain vistas or waterfalls but the rolling landscape is beautiful. I love sitting at the pavilion next to the P.O. and relaxing. Eating the fantastic sandwiches from the good people at the General Store. Watching the locals come in and listening to their conversations. The valley. The Home Place. The Home Place has twice allowed me and my partner to sleep in the gazebo on their property. Which comes in handy when you are so full from the best dinner on the AT that you can't walk.

I guess my bias is showing, but Daleville is a dime a dozen truck stop mecca. Catawba is a unique place.

Appalachian Tater
02-22-2010, 16:47
The OP hikingshoes asked if Catawba is a good place to do a maildrop consisting of maps only, not do a full resupply or a zero day.

Again, the answer is absolutely yes for all the reasons mentioned by several posters--great food, light resupply, scenic, overall just a nice break. The PO in Daleville is inconvenient even if you are doing a zero day. Why not pick up maps in Catawba where you are likely to be the only customer and will be walking right by the PO to get to the food anyway? Even better, the Companion says there are plans for a blue blaze through a farm from the trail into town.

Also, I see in the ALDHA Companion that the store is offering to hold maildrops and offering overnight camping and says they have a portable toilet out back. There is also a payphone there.

Like Yahtzee says, you shouldn't miss going into Catawba even if it is just to eat lunch or dinner.

southpaw95
02-22-2010, 17:10
I liked Catawba so much I moved here.

Yes, The Homeplace is a must stop while on the trail.

Open Thur-Sun. 4-8 Thur-Fri. 3-8 on Sat. 11-6 on Sun.

The Homeplace and the General Store will let you camp at there places.
The PO has a great tree to sit under while you wait for whatever...

Enjoy your stay and don't get in such a hurry to get to Daleville. Daleville is just a interchange along our interstate/highway system, not a trail town.