PDA

View Full Version : Dry section in SNP

MedicineMan
09-27-2004, 21:51
We skipped over SNP this summer hoping for more color this fall, so in 3 weeks we are doing the southern half......memory tells me somewhere in SNP the AT has a long dry section ...... can someone save me a lot of reading and tell me where that section is? Thanks ahead for any info.

kncats
09-28-2004, 04:36
It depends on your definition of long. Calf Mountain shelter at the very southern end has what is reputed to be an unreliable spring, though it was flowing slowing when we were there Labor Day. There are two more marked springs about a mile north of the shelter and then nothing until you get to Black Rock shelter. That's 13 miles. After that you can get water at Loft Mountain campground and Ivy Creek (which are pretty close together) but the spring at Pinefield Hut is pretty iffy. Another 13 miles.

Jaybird
09-28-2004, 06:51
We skipped over SNP this summer hoping for more color this fall, so in 3 weeks we are doing the southern half......memory tells me somewhere in SNP the AT has a long dry section ...... can someone save me a lot of reading and tell me where that section is? Thanks ahead for any info.

There are NO DRY SPOTS in the SMOKIES now!

With the remnants of 4 major storms sweeping thru the mountains...i doubt if there are ANY dry spots! :D

section-hiking: Hampton,TN to Damascus,VA Oct 4-8th

MedicineMan
09-28-2004, 21:23
thats good for the Smokes, so I'm guessing same with SNP but it is almost 3 weeks before we go but with the track record another hurrican will probably keep things wet until winter--unfortunately for those on the coast.
Also noted that it will get below freezing this weekend on Roan, so I am also guessing that it will be cold in SNP by the last week of October.

baseballswthrt
09-29-2004, 04:58
It may be very cold! Last year my husband and I went to SNP over Veterans Day weekend the second week of Novomeber. The second morning we woke up, it was 14 *!!!!

Anita

grrickar
09-29-2004, 09:20
Local forecasters here (In Noth Alabama) are saying a cold front will be moving through this weekend, and lows at night here will be in the mid to low 40s, so it is conceivable that temps could drop below freezing in the Smokies. I'd plan for low 70s/mid60s in the daytime, and plan for freezing temps at night. If the wind lays, they may get frost there.

BlackCloud
09-29-2004, 15:59
Even where there are 5 + mile "dry" stretches of the AT, there are enough service locations w/in .1 mile of the trail to get water from anway. Most service areas are still open in early November, But by the end of Nov, everything closes.:-?

Kerosene
09-29-2004, 17:24
In October of 2002 there was no water to be found between Loft Mountain Campground and Rockfish Gap. We ended up hiking the 26 miles in 2 days on 2 liters of water each. Fortunately it wasn't too warm!