PDA

View Full Version : Gear list costs?

Arwin
02-19-2010, 23:40
How much money does it normally cost to get all your gear and supplies for a full thru hike not including money for the through hike itself like while on the trail but before hand. how much did it cost you just to buy all your gear and supplies?

Mountain Wildman
02-19-2010, 23:51
Depends a lot on what equipment you buy.
You can easily spend 3000 or you can make some gear yourself.

Slo-go'en
02-20-2010, 00:00
You can do it on the cheap or go gold plated.

Get the highest quality gear you can afford and put most of it into your sleeping bag and tent. Everything else you can skimp on a bit. And try to go light weight, even though that often costs more.

Mountain Wildman
02-20-2010, 00:07
If you go with good quality you can figure about 200 for a good solo tent or hammock.
300 for a down bag, 100 to 250 for a good light weight pack, And less than 100 for a sleeping pad. But it depends on how you want to hike, How much comfort do you want in camp, Do you want to carry the extra weight for the comfort? There are many considerations.
I am comfort driven and can handle the extra weight and have purchased all top quality gear because I will use it on many hikes yet to be hiked.
All said and done I will have around 3000 invested just in gear.
Obviously I do not strive to be an ultralight hiker.

lazy river road
02-20-2010, 00:07
depends how winter or summer, hammock, tarp, tent, you could do it real cheap or you could do it real expensive IMHO it all depends on how creative you want to get. For example. I put some money into a sea to summit 70 L sil bag (it was %40 off) but for stuff sacks Ill be useing gallon zip lock bags. So to answer you question you could spend very little to a whole bunch

drifters quest
02-20-2010, 00:09
I spent over 2000k, and that doesn't include some items that were bought for me and most of the clothing. I didn't have any major items such as pack or sleeping bag and although I got quality gear, I could have gotten even better stuff.

GeneralLee10
02-20-2010, 00:16
I have spent over $2000, that is me not liking an item and getting a different one. Like stoves bought a few use none of them now, the ones I bought. I use a tea light for a stove now. Purchased a HH hammock, still not sure if it's for me or not. The list continues....

Some gear you have to buy in order to test it out, see if it is going to work for you. Unless you have a friend willing to loan his or hers stuff.

gravy4601
02-20-2010, 00:20
spend the extra money and buy what you want the first time or befor you no it youll have a closet full of un used gear

Bags4266
02-20-2010, 00:21
Once you start buying gear it turns into an addition. Before you know it you have alot of stuff you really don't need. Research and find what fits for you.

leaftye
02-20-2010, 02:07
A lot. It's best not to keep track once you've decided to buy whatever you need no matter the cost.

Bronk
02-20-2010, 02:23
Don't be discouraged by all the people you see saying it costs $2000 to $3000. You can get set up just as easily for under $500. Look for the thread on the $300 challenge.

There's a lot of expensive crap you can buy...but that is just more crap you have to carry. You need a pack, sleeping bag and tent...try to keep the weight of these 3 to 10 pounds. The rest is all on how much money you want to blow and how much weight you want to carry.

Panzer1
02-20-2010, 02:27
How much money does it normally cost to get all your gear and supplies for a full thru hike ....?

It just depends on how much money you have. The more money you have, the more you're going to spend.

Panzer

JustaTouron
02-20-2010, 08:28

Nobody buy anything gold plated.....the real money is in the titatium plated overpriced stuff.

garlic08
02-20-2010, 10:02
My AT kit cost under $900.

Blissful
02-20-2010, 10:24
$1500; you're also going several seasons. You can do it cheaper with used gear (like a pack), tarp, Campmor down bag, grease pot, alcohol stove, chain stores and salvation army for clothing, etc. For me footwear can cost a good amt as I use good trail runners and use many pairs.

But this is for gear. Budgeting for food and other necessities is separate.

RollingStone
02-20-2010, 11:51
For us there isn't any feasible to calculate the cost of the gear we will use on our 2011 Thru. We've been backpacking for a long time and our gear sets and comfort factors have fluctuated and changed with each year that passes. As others have said, you could spend 1000, you could spend 3000.

The issue is, without experience you aren't going to know what is comfortable for you or what is the most cost effective. I've seen threads on here time after time where people factored in 500 dollars or more to their budget just to change out gear because they were unfamiliar before starting.

My advice to you is to start modestly, shop smartly, and get some experience on the trails in your local area before making major purchase considerations.

As an example, 10 years ago I had a double wall tent. Then went to a hammock, then back to a double wall tent. Then to a tarp, then a tarp tent, back to a double wall tent, to a tarp, and finally now mostly tarptents. Every time I mention the word tent, tarp, etc, my wife rolls her eyes and groans "Here we go again! ;) "

If anything, find someone knowledgeable and with common sense to help mentor you through your gear purchases. I am nto afraid to spend 300 bucks on a piece of gear, but ONLY if it makes sense. Sometimes there is an alternative that is just as high quality and cost effective. And sometimes when it comes to gear, you dont need all the fancy doo-dads the outfitters want to sell you. The KISS method works best.

yaduck9
02-20-2010, 12:14
Here is a gear list that Garlic posted for, I believe, his 08 hike. It has weight and Prices; His price total was 900.

I am a big believer in end of season sales. I just purchased a Granite Gear Nimbus Meridian on sale for 120. Mfg price is over 200. A year ago I purchased a Patagonia rain jacket at 40, well over half price.

I purchased a decent golite down bag on ebay for half price.

Made my own alcohol stove ( zenstove.com ) and windshield ( caldera cone clone; youtube )

I am sure someone has mentioned this person, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emma_Gatewood. Which shows that hear prices have little to do with how far you can go.

So if your in a hurry to get on the trail, then you may need to carry a large wallet to purchase at retail or be thrifty and go "ultra simplistic".

The middle ground is to watch for store sales, craigslist, ebay and "gather" your gear over a period of a year or two, or even three....

Just my humble opinion.

white_russian
02-20-2010, 12:29
Find the deals and you can get some good gear cheap and even if you do end up with more gear than you need you have still spent less. Never pay MSRP, I don't care how much folks say to support your local outfitter or cottage gear manufacturer. Even if you see something that is perfect, you can pretty much always eventually get something else that is 90% as good at 50% of the cost on the clearance rack.

Trailbender
02-20-2010, 12:54
You might have to think outside the box on some gear purchases. For example, men's wicking underwear are about 3 oz in weight. The women's bikini brief, made of the same stuff is 0.5 oz, and are more comfortable. So right in underwear I save 5 oz right off. Stove is a potted meat can with holes punched in it and a bottle of denatured alcohol. I am always looking to lighten my load, the main question is can it do the same job for lighter?

skinewmexico
02-20-2010, 13:05
Never pay retail. Spadout.com and Steep & Cheap are your friends.

DawnTreader
02-20-2010, 13:13
My gear kit consists of 4 really nice really expensive items, totalling around 900$, and the rest is dirtbag/wallmart thrift store, homeade gear.....
dump your money into your shelter, bag/quilt, pack, and a nice light warm layer (I like a mont-bell type down zip.)
The rest of your gear, even your shoes, can be made or bought extremely cheaply with a little work..

Bags4266
02-20-2010, 14:19
Trailbender, womens underwear....hummmm, never would of thought of that. Big oz saving there.

KnittingMelissa
02-20-2010, 14:58

Get the highest quality gear you can afford and put most of it into your sleeping bag and tent. Everything else you can skimp on a bit. And try to go light weight, even though that often costs more.

And shoes, don't forget shoes. If there's one thing you want a good, solid investment in it's shoes. Don't skimp on something you're going to be walking and wearing for an entire trip.

Of course, if you get lucky, you can find a good, solid pair on sale pretty easily. I got a pair that I love to death for less than $50, but that was pure, blind luck that I found them at all (last pair of that style they had in stock at Sierra Trading Post on a day they had a 20% sale on shoes to top it off, it was awesome).

Feral Bill
02-20-2010, 15:14
Never pay retail. Spadout.com and Steep & Cheap are your friends.
Also Ebay, Sierra Trading Post, REI Outlet, and your local thrift shop.

Dogwood
02-20-2010, 15:36
I strongly advise you inform yourself by taking advantage of some of the info right here on WB in the Thru-hiking Info Prep articles. They will make finding an answer for YOURSELF much easier.

In 2006 starting Apr 12 from Springer going NOBO I spent a little less than $800 alone for AT thru-hiking gear. I could have easily spent $1200. I also could have spent less than $800 if I had bought used gear or made some of it myself. Since, I didn't have much of the gear I thought I required I purchased most of my gear new. I got quite a few pieces of my gear at discounts by looking for sales or negotiating lower prices.

My main purchases were: Granite Gear Vapor Trail backpack, MontBell Super Stretch 25 * sleeping bag, Eureka Backcountry 1 tent, Snow Peak Giga stove, Snow Peak Mini Solo Titanium Cookware set, 1 pair Vasque Breeze shoes(needed a new second pair to finish but got them free because of a defect in the shoes), Misc(stuff sacks, Smartwool socks, isobutane fuel canisters, baselayers, convertible pants, some food for the start, etc). Beware the Misc gear can add up quick!

Money spent on supplies, food for example, ranges widely and wildly! Some try to complete a thru-hike by spending less than $1000, or less, for on trail supplies. Others manage to spend upwards of $5000.

Although there are threads floating around that discuss and debate how much it takes to complete a thru-hike, I've never seen or heard of a thru-hiker quitting their hike because they had too much money. HOWEVER, I've heard and seen MANY who quit their hikes because they DID NOT have enough money.

I strongly suggest you plan your hike, and when doing so, allocate sufficient funds for resupplying and for on trail expenses.

cmsart87
02-20-2010, 16:07
I learned the hard way on my first section hike that i bought alot of usless stuff, so i wasted alot of money. If you are very smart in what you buy it will last a long time. Im fortunate that my thru hike isnt till 2013 so that leaves me with alot of christmas and birthday gifts for gear :) Also alot of the homemade stuff isnt as hard as it sounds and it saves ALOT of money! good luck

JustaTouron
02-20-2010, 16:20
I strongly advise you inform yourself by taking advantage of some of the info right here on WB in the Thru-hiking Info Prep articles. They will make finding an answer for YOURSELF much easier.

In 2006 starting Apr 12 from Springer going NOBO I spent a little less than $800 alone for AT thru-hiking gear. I could have easily spent $1200. I also could have spent less than $800 if I had bought used gear or made some of it myself. Since, I didn't have much of the gear I thought I required I purchased most of my gear new. I got quite a few pieces of my gear at discounts by looking for sales or negotiating lower prices.

My main purchases were: Granite Gear Vapor Trail backpack, MontBell Super Stretch 25 * sleeping bag, Eureka Backcountry 1 tent, Snow Peak Giga stove, Snow Peak Mini Solo Titanium Cookware set, 1 pair Vasque Breeze shoes(needed a new second pair to finish but got them free because of a defect in the shoes), Misc(stuff sacks, Smartwool socks, isobutane fuel canisters, baselayers, convertible pants, some food for the start, etc). Beware the Misc gear can add up quick!

Money spent on supplies, food for example, ranges widely and wildly! Some try to complete a thru-hike by spending less than $1000, or less, for on trail supplies. Others manage to spend upwards of $5000.

Although there are threads floating around that discuss and debate how much it takes to complete a thru-hike, I've never seen or heard of a thru-hiker quitting their hike because they had too much money. HOWEVER, I've heard and seen MANY who quit their hikes because they DID NOT have enough money.

I strongly suggest you plan your hike, and when doing so, allocate sufficient funds for resupplying and for on trail expenses.

Bury in your post I think you are saying that supply money is more important that gear money.

From what I have been reading here it certainly seems more likely that someone would have an easier time completing the trail having spent $500 on used gear off of ebay and with clothes from the salvation army plus $4000 for food and supplies than a person who spent $4000 on gear having the best titanium ultralight gear and $500 to try and live off of ramon noodles and what can be found in hiker boxes.

Dogwood
02-20-2010, 17:27
Hmmm! You are making me think with that question.

I guess both spending categories(gear money, supplies/on trail expenses) are important. Just because you might spend more money in one category than the other doesn't make the category you spend more money on more important.

I have problems with words like easier. Opens up all kinds of different interpretations and ideas.

I get where you are coming from though!

Trying to compare one broad category, like how much one spends on gear, which could range from nearly $0 to as much as $1500, with another very broad category, like how much one actually spends when thru-hiking, which typically ranges from $500 to more than $5000-6000, has many different possibilities. I'm hesitant to say what is right because the comparison can be made so many different ways and lead to different conclusions about what is right.

There is some crossover in these categories too. For example, you can have all your gear accounted for pre-hike and something breaks or doesn't work out or you learn of a better piece of gear that you just have to have and now money that may not have been set aside for additional on trail gear purchases comes into play.

Your comparison is probably right though.

climber2377
02-20-2010, 19:21
Since having read some articles and threads asking the question, “What is the total cost of thru –hikes on the AT?” I decided to try and figure how much my gear cost me. I basically have some time to kill so decided this research will do two things 1) give me something to do 2) give me a pretty accurate cost of my gear. I have collected gear over time and have been given gifts of gear so the cost hasn’t really been 100% on my shoulders and it has been spread out over a long period of time, but what the heck…
The Big Three
Gregory Forester Backpack- my guess is it’s a small size pack at 4550 cubic inches 4lbs 12 oz. and I m not 100% because when I measure it I find it to be @12 inches wide 10 to 12 inches long and 26 to 28 inches high giving me closer to 4000 cubic inches and making it smaller than an extra small which weighs in at 4lbs 10 oz and only holding 4300 cubic inches. When researching price I found others saying they purchased one or one similar for anywhere between $220 and $240 which sounds about right. I remember this being a Christmas gift a few years back.
Hennessy UL Backpacker Hammock with 4 Season Insulation and hex fly. $190,$130 and $70 respectively. When I purchased my UL I received a free Scout. 100 dollar value. This is my only real new purchase for this year.
Mountain Hardware 20 degree Down Sleeping bag- I seem to remember buying this in Florida at a place in the Tampa bay area for around $225. For some reason I think I bought this with holiday or birthday money. I see similar bags listing for anywhere from 200 to 350. I have had this bag for years and have used it well. It respects me and I respect it.
Clothing and Accessories
EMS Hiking Boots with gortex upper and vibram soles- these boots were an upgrade on a trade in when my old boots were rotting away. I got a discount on them. The guy in the store was nice to me, but said I should treat them with more water repellant so I wouldn’t be back again with the same problem. I am not a big spender so I think I paid around 90 for the first pair and the second pair for a discounted price of around the same. They might be a $125 dollar model, I cannot find anything to compare to.
EMS Rain Gear- Thunderhead Jacket lists for around 100, I traded my old one in that was coming apart and losing its rain resistability and got a discount from the local EMS. I think I ended up paying like $70 for it. My rain pants I have barely used but plan to get some use out of them on my Thruhike. The pants that are being sold these days list from $50 to $70. I have had these pants for quite some time.
Walmart Fleece- I ve had this for a long time, probably $8 to $10
Halloway Polyester warm up type pants- Free gift from a phys ed department. Guessing $50 value.
Acrylic long sleeve shirt- guessing $10-$20
Long sleeve Northface button down shirt-$ 45-$60
Long johns - $25
Under armor- underwear- $20
Shorts- Nike lightweight running shorts $10 bought with gift card
Wicking shirts- 2 at $10 each - $20 Nike and Nordic bought with gift card
Wigwam Hiking socks- 2 pair - $24 bought with gift card
Katadyn hiker water filter- $60
Camelbak reservoir- 70 oz. $30
Nalgene water bottles- 2 for @10 each- $20
Backpack cover- $30
Crumbcatcher alcohol stove- made it myself- total cost $5 = 1 crumb catcher and a couple of V8
Mess kit- I have it from when I was young- sometimes I use the pot- list for the whole thing is under $20
Heineken pots- free with purchase of beer
Knives
Lock blade knife- gift $40 value
Sheffeild multi tool- free- a box set was bought for a gift years ago $25 value
Boyscout model swiss army knife- had for 20+years $35 value
Lights
Streamlight stylus pro- $25
Petzl e+ light- headlamp- $25
Odds and ends
Carabiners-2 screwgate locking- $15 apiece = $30
Rope- 100 feet from home depot- taking about60 feet with me-$10-$15
Camp shoes- knock off crocks- $10
Waterproof sacks- from walmart $5
Emergency blanket $3
Spork- $5
AT Guide- Northbound - unbound addition $15
Treking poles- found old ski poles in garage, Free, may borrow from a friend $50 value
First aid supplies and other gear probably totaling $50- some of this stuff was free, or I had it already, includes Neosporin, band aids, light stick/whistle , stainless mirror, bug spray, after-bite, chap stick, lighter, alcohol pads, alcohol for stove, alcohol bottle, trail journals, zip lock bags, toilet paper, toothbrush, toothpaste, shamy cloth , facecloth, gutter screws/ground stakes, toothbrush holder, other socks, gold bond powder, stretch gloves, winter hat, baseball cap, matches,
I am also bringing my cell phone, extra battery and wall charger (cost not included)
Total cost- $1957
i used the larger number when there was a choice. this is just an estimate and i do not know if i will carry all of this just yet, but i think i would rather bring too much and then send stuff home as i find it is not necessary

GeneralLee10
02-21-2010, 01:07
2010 AT Hiking Gear list cost

ULA Circuit= 180.00
WM Alder MF= 375.00< mite be selling this soon
Gossamer SpinnTwinn= 175.00
Ground Cloth +Stakes= 2.00**
Pack Liner Compactor Bag= Free
Sleeping Pad= 5.00
Prolite 4= 80.00
new sleeping bag coming= 300.00

DIY Bug net= 10.00**

Black Diamond Trail Trekking Poles= 89.00

Clothing:
NF Filght Searies Wind Shirt= 35.00
Columbia Fleece= free
WM Vest= 80.00
Silk Cashmere Shirt= .50
Terramar Leggins Med weight= 33.00
Patagonia Cap1 Shirt&Pants= 35.00
Beanie= 1.00
Manzella Glove Liners= 12.00
MH Shell Gloves= 15.00
2Pair Wigwam low-cut socks= free
Exofficio underwear= 25.00
GoreTex Socks=60.00
Shoes= 65.00

Rain Gear:
OR Foray Raincoat= 160.00
Rain Pants= 35.00
Cooking:
Spoon= .50
Pot= 20.00
Lid= .50
Stove= free
Stand= .50
Windscreen= .25**
Cozy= .75**
FireSteel= 8.00

Water Treatment:
Aquamira= 12.00
Sham Wow for prefilter= 5.00
2 liter platy= 9.99
1 used Aquafina 1liter Bottle= 1.50

Hygiene Kit= 3.00**

1st Aid Kit:
Couple Band-Aids= .75**
Neosporin= 2.00
2 Antiseptic Towelette= free
2 Iodine Prep Pads= free
Gold Bond Powder= .99
Toenail Clippers= free
Mirror w/ needle on back= 1.50

Camp Shoes:
Crocs= free

** is a +/- guess
Some items are subject to "CHANGE":-?

prain4u
02-21-2010, 03:52
When possible, do what you can to "test" equipment for free before you buy it--in order to cut down on purchasing mistakes.

I went to REI Outfitters--and they let me get inside various sleeping bags--so I could check them out for fit. They also set up a couple of their tents for me to climb inside. (I didn't buy any of their tents. Might still buy a sleeping bag at REI).

I have borrowed equipment from friends in order to check it out. I talk to people about their gear and how they like it. Some of the hiking festivals such as "Trail Days" have equipment displays by manufacturers.

I would also read gear reviews both on WhiteBlaze and other places online. (Be very wary of any reviews in Backpacker Magazine. The more dollars your company spends on advertising in their magazine--the better your equipment seems to be reviewed).

GENERALLY speaking, the less money you spend on your gear--the heavier it will weigh and the more bulky it will be. However, there are some exceptions--(especially if you make your own gear).

mtnkngxt
02-25-2010, 09:55
I've got about $3200 invested in my gear.

Doctari
02-25-2010, 11:48
Assuming all of my gear was to disappear suddenly (stolen during a hike?) I figure to fully replace all of my gear "as is" would cost me around $1500.00.
Granted, my stove would cost about $0.25 to replace, but (an example) my tarp would cost me about $200.00, so,,,,,,,,,

Sigh!

I was happier not knowing how much it all cost. Wish I had not figured this out!! :eek:

OH WELL, now I have to go hiking to justify it all. :p

10-K
02-25-2010, 12:10
spend the extra money and buy what you want the first time or befor you no it youll have a closet full of un used gear

Roger that....