PDA

View Full Version : Impulse buy leads to questioning which jacket to take... Poster seeks advice.

Grimelowe
02-20-2010, 02:05
Today I visited an outlet mall and ($44 later) returned home with an XXL membrane rain jacket. On this garment it says in various places: Columbia, Titanium, Omni-tech seam sealed rain jacket. The cardboard tag says: EXS Snowmelt Jacket. I can find no info online for this. It has a stretchy fabric bonded to an unprotected membrane inside.

Anyway, I weighed it at 263 grams (9.3oz). I also have a Marmot Ion windshirt XL (lightweight nylon w/DWR finish) that weighs 165 grams (5.8oz). Both are a little short to the waist with no extra tail-flap. Neither have pit zips, but the new Columbia has long core zips (nipple to belt loop) on both sides. I'm only willing to carry one of them. Now the question is which one would you suggest I take on my AT thru-hike? ...and why?

More info:
Hike (projected) April 16- Sept 11th NOBO
I'm a sweat hog.
I like to layer.
Neither of the jacket materials feel very durable.

I'd love to hear the opinion of any gear geeks on this one. Hopefully, your insight may help me make a decision.

-Grimey

Mountain Wildman
02-20-2010, 02:51
The Wind Shirt is Water resistant not water proof.
I would choose the seam sealed waterproof, It will serve as a wind jacket as well.

Maddog
02-20-2010, 03:35
The Wind Shirt is Water resistant not water proof.
I would choose the seam sealed waterproof, It will serve as a wind jacket as well.

i agree...:D

thelowend
02-20-2010, 04:41
yeah.. youd be a little screwed with a windshirt in the rain... take your new buy along with ya and if you dont like it, there's outfitters along the way.

mister krabs
02-20-2010, 20:19
I doubt that columbia titanium "waterproof breathable" jacket will actually be waterproof. Mine isn't.