PDA

View Full Version : Getting a glimpse at Spring today

johnnybgood
02-20-2010, 14:14
The Appachian Trail calender on my wall says we still have another 28 days till the Vernal Eqinox but the :sun is shining brightly here and the forcast is for upper 50's through the next 3 days.

I realize that winter in the higher elevations will continue through March but here's hoping for not much more , the early starters don't need any more snow and ice.

For those on the trail just take it slow and easy. No need to rush , you've got nothing but time . Enjoy yourself and finish strong.

jdb
02-20-2010, 14:21
Beautiful day as well in MD. Just went out for a 4 mile run (on the street:mad:) but it was sure nice to get out and stretch the legs a bit.

I hope to get out on the trail soon!

Manwich
02-20-2010, 14:33
/looks outside at the 2' of snow still on the ground.

Jeff
02-20-2010, 14:50
Sunshine is peeking thru in Vermont, but still using snowshoes on the Long Trail.

modiyooch
02-20-2010, 17:26
vitamin D!!!

cowpoke
02-20-2010, 18:38
70 here is LA today...was a good day moving the cows around the pastures.

Mrs Baggins
02-20-2010, 19:15

If you never get the truly cold weather and the snow you cannot truly and absolutely appreciate the warm weather.

J-Rod
02-20-2010, 20:24
If you never get the truly cold weather and the snow you cannot truly and absolutely appreciate the warm weather.

man that is so true lol

i lived in Hemet CA for 2 years
i'm from Northeast PA..man do i miss the nice weather

it was nice here today low 50's and sunny...we still have a foot of snow on the ground...the last week has melted alot of it...

we did have 43 inch last week LOL

Blissful
02-20-2010, 22:20
I realize that winter in the higher elevations will continue through March but here's hoping for not much more , the early starters don't need any more snow and ice.

Can actually go to May in some places. Be prepared is the key. Hope they are.

Blissful
02-20-2010, 22:21

Yeah man we've had it this year. Wow. I've seen enough snow for a looong. time. Bring on spring! (I still have a foot on my back porch)

cowpoke
02-20-2010, 23:11

...oh so true...but I did live in Maine for a year...Rhode Island for a year and New Jersey for 3 years.....and we even had a couple inches of snow here last week....and I do appreciate the warm weather....cheers all.

Daydream Believer
02-22-2010, 20:34
It has been pretty here in SE Virginia also but they have snow in our forecast for Wed night so it's not over yet! One thing I noticed tonight as I closed up the barn and headed for the house...the croakers are out..early frogs.

mudhead
02-22-2010, 20:36
Wood frogs? Tree frogs? Got me all charged up, but what are "croakers?"

Daydream Believer
02-23-2010, 11:21
Swamp frogs! We have a lot of swamps around here...permanent wet areas...The Great Dismal Swamp is not far from me at all. I'm not sure what their proper name is but I've heard them called "croakers" by some natives. We have snow in our forecast for tomorrow night so I hope they don't freeze!

Anyway, when they come out of hibernation and you can hear them croaking at night, it's a sure sign of nicer things to come weather wise. I just hope Mother Nature hasn't pulled a fast one on them. We had several seasonal nice days and now more snow and frozen stuff. Snow is generally quite rare in this area...not this winter...we've had a lot of it.

sherrill
02-23-2010, 13:47
We call them "peepers" because that's the sound they make.

mudhead
02-23-2010, 14:00
Wood frogs and spring peepers are part of the Spring thing here. Looking forward to both.

If you already have peepers, I don't want to hear anymore 50 foot snow drift complaints.:sun

Tipi Walter
02-23-2010, 14:22

Most of them bail anyway, so I say bring on more snow and ice. I love winter backpacking, it thins out the dayhikers, tourists and Ultralighters.

Yeah man we've had it this year. Wow. I've seen enough snow for a looong. time. Bring on spring! (I still have a foot on my back porch)

With Spring comes the wailing screaming noise-polluting motorcyclists racing along the backroads, the BR Parkway and the Cherohala Skyway in my neck of the woods. Winter crimps their twisted hobby and keeps them at home. If you say "Bring on Spring!" then you've got to accept these throttle-mad Tail Of The Dragon wannabe Isle of Man types polluting up the quiet AT ridgetops. Just my take on it. Pray for Cold and Snow.

boarstone
02-23-2010, 16:19
We're watching the ice on the Pleasant river, Kennebec and others...if we get rain, out she'll go! Many ice jams yet, same with Big and Little Wilson streams in the "100 mile wilderness" and on the Pleasant R. that passes thru East & West. Snow is melting slowly. in the 40's here days, 30's nights...maple syrup tapping now on going...

Lion King
02-23-2010, 16:44

There are cows in Los Angeles?:D

johnnybgood
03-07-2010, 15:01
Warm weather temps. of 60's for next 7 days. Spring has sprung here in the Piedmont area of Va.
What's it like were you live ?

cowpoke
03-07-2010, 15:54
Don't know about Los Angeles but here in Lower Alabama...we got lots of cows...weather is warm here today....plum and pear trees have bloomed...peaches won't be far behind...same for blueberries.....I'm op-testing my new Speer winter tarp that I just received in the mail....all in all a great day! cheers.

Chaco Taco
03-11-2010, 17:05
There are showers in teh forecast, but higher temps. We can deal with that. Hiking for 4 out of the next 5 days. Next weekend will be the weekend to hike here in WNC. Sunny, mid 60's. :sun