PDA

View Full Version : survival staff

blindeye
09-28-2004, 08:52
anyone ever hear of a crawford survival staff. it's used as awalking stick but has all these options with it like a knife, fishing hook etc any ideas on if this is a good thing or not?

orangebug
09-28-2004, 09:03
Never heard of it. One could create (and should) a survival kit that fits on your body, even smaller than a walking stick. Whistle, matches, flashlight, emergency blanket and such come immediately to mind. I can't think of many places along the AT that a fish hook would come in handy for survival.

SGT Rock
09-28-2004, 09:05
I don't think you would need such a thing for the AT, but it is a nice idea. Ranger Rick has a survival necklace that has a lot of those sorts of things on it. There was also a thread on The Lightweight Backpacker a couple years back about making your own wallet sized survival kit.

Dances with Mice
09-28-2004, 09:15
anyone ever hear of a crawford survival staff. it's used as awalking stick but has all these options with it like a knife, fishing hook etc any ideas on if this is a good thing or not?

At first I thought you were describing a vendor that used to spam the Scouting Usenet groups about a walking staff packed with survival and first aid stuff. But I found a review of the Crawford gizmo and it's definitely unsuitable for Scouting (blowgun, spear point, arrow shaft). Sounds James Bond-ish.

http://outside.away.com/outside/gear/gearguy/200302/20030212.html

blindeye
09-28-2004, 09:32
yeah i agree with everyone especially dances with mice. a buddy sent me the link and i too thought it was way to (for lack of a better term) aggresive not only that they don't give them away the base staff is over $200 and all these odd options are about $45 a pop. thanks for the input because i thought it was overkill also