Or post your own list.............

ChinMusic
02-20-2010, 16:55
Translation aisle 7 please.......

beakerman
02-20-2010, 17:28
translation?

no it makes perfectly good sense to me.

He (or she---didn;t really look) wants to know your opinion on additional ubiquitous photos...we all have them. I've actually collected all but one of of the ten listed--I don't do yoga. The list is basically the equivalent of the red shirt dudes on old star trek...they always died...it was cliche.

Since then I have learned several things: like how to take night sky photos and that unless you are using some fairly high end stuff rainbows look very insignificant and washed out when you try to take a pic of them.

Jofish
02-20-2010, 17:46
I would drop either the coiled rope throwing or yoga and add the "standing on a mountaintop looking out over the land" (like your avatar)

Feral Bill
02-20-2010, 17:50
Tent in alpine meadow
people sipping hot chocolate
weathered snag
head peeping out of sleeping bag
smiling face in rain gear with water dripping down
person crossing stream on a log with helping hand from friend
smiling faces around the fire
person flopped on the ground with pack exhausted
group shot before/after trip

I've taken them all, repeatedly

Manwich
02-20-2010, 18:16
Backpacker Hugging/Kissing/Loving/Kneeling at Katahdin Sign
Backpacker Smiling at Springer Plaque
"I have a bear now" pic

JustaTouron
02-20-2010, 18:48
A backpacker standing on top of a mountain with a blue sky background and a green mountain behind him.

ChinMusic
02-20-2010, 19:00
shelter
privy
blister
lone wolf

Jeff
02-20-2010, 19:02
I love looking at all those "cliche" shots.

The Old Fhart
02-20-2010, 19:14
A number of my "cliché photos" have appeared in ATC calendars, various books, and catalogs; and have paid for a thru hike. I plan on continuing to take them. :banana

Slo-go'en
02-20-2010, 19:17
What else is there to take a picture of?

flemdawg1
02-20-2010, 19:33
Hiker posing by Trailhead/road crossing sign. USGS Peak markers.

Maddog
02-20-2010, 19:45
fat, bloated, drunken, has-been thru-hikers!:D

Different Socks
02-20-2010, 20:29
These are not "my" photo cliche's. It's a list put together that I found as a blurb in an outdoor magazine. Obviously it was put together by someone whom doesn't get out often enough and only sees pictures in book and magazines.

SGT Rock
02-20-2010, 20:49
Hikers posting on websites.

fehchet
02-21-2010, 06:23
Minnesota Smith

sbhikes
02-21-2010, 10:52
rainbows look very insignificant and washed out when you try to take a pic of them.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_VnR7wusGJdY/SkE3EONyArI/AAAAAAAAEXs/s9Lp0DOt-qo/s640/DSCN2042.JPG

I thought my rainbow came out pretty good.

woodsy
02-21-2010, 10:56
Black frostbitten noses, cheeks, fingers and toes., ugh !

The Old Fhart
02-21-2010, 11:22
woodsy-"Black frostbitten noses, cheeks, fingers and toes., ugh ! "Not black yet, but.....

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=23029&original=1&c=member&imageuser=1531

Mags
02-21-2010, 17:49
Backpacker Hugging/Kissing/Loving/Kneeling at Katahdin Sign
Backpacker Smiling at Springer Plaque

Not cliched for the person who spent several months on this wilderness pilgrimage. :sun Maybe for people who track their hikes down to the percentage, though. ;)

ridgerunninrat81
02-21-2010, 21:48
Wow that is a great rainbow shot!

Manwich
02-21-2010, 21:54
Not cliched for the person who spent several months on this wilderness pilgrimage. :sun Maybe for people who track their hikes down to the percentage, though. ;)

It's just walking :-?

beakerman
02-21-2010, 23:09
fat, bloated, drunken, has-been thru-hikers!:D

well you have to catch me before you can take a photo of me....

beakerman
02-21-2010, 23:11
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_VnR7wusGJdY/SkE3EONyArI/AAAAAAAAEXs/s9Lp0DOt-qo/s640/DSCN2042.JPG

I thought my rainbow came out pretty good.
you did a very good job. what gear did you use? I find that with most point and shoot cameras (what most folks are willing to carry on a hike) the lensing is such that the camera does not really capture the moment of a good rainbow.

Spogatz
02-21-2010, 23:31
Happy hiker with thumbs pointing up towards the sky with any background....

The Old Fhart
02-21-2010, 23:40
beakerman-"rainbows look very insignificant and washed out when you try to take a pic of them."It helps to know a little physics and have a DSLR. A rainbow is produced by sunlight (white light) being 'separated' or dispersed into its component colors like the demonstrations you see in the classic prism experiments (http://www.webexhibits.org/colorart/bh.html). A rainbow is polarized light so by using a polarizing filter in front of the lens and rotating it you can make the rainbow disappear or really 'pop' out. If you're wearing polarized sunglasses and tip your head from side to side while looking at a rainbow you can see the effect.

weary
02-21-2010, 23:52
Cynicism is easy. But it isn't constructive.

Of course it's just walking. But believe it or not TOTEM, Walking most of 2175 miles presents the walker with thousands of challenges. The end is something special. Especially to the walker's family and acquaintences, but most certainly to the hiker who has spent six months meeting the challenges of snow, bugs, sore knees, and many other multiple aflictions. Many make the attempt. Very few succeed. A success story is relatively rare.

Hike your own hike -- responsibily.

Weary

chris948
02-22-2010, 09:57
you did a very good job. what gear did you use? I find that with most point and shoot cameras (what most folks are willing to carry on a hike) the lensing is such that the camera does not really capture the moment of a good rainbow.

You don't need a DSLR and while I'm no expert I'm pretty sure going on about lenses and polarizing isn't exactly the problem. If they're being washed out it's because your settings aren't right and the camera is probably on auto mode wondering why you're taking a picure of this bright light.

Canon point and shoot that wasn't even new at the time.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/57/176702822_00372ec542_o.jpg

There are two kinds of pictures, there are pro photographs that people buy that often avoid "cliches" and there are pictures that capture memories. I have a ton of apparently overused pictures but they star me and my friends and I wouldn't trade them for anything Ansel Adam's ever shot.

berkshirebirder
02-22-2010, 10:07
Chris, that is one fantastic photo, double rainbow and all!

mweinstone
02-22-2010, 10:11
pics of food cooking. like these maple turkey mini link sausages from the reading terminal farmers market here in phila.

Roche
02-22-2010, 11:24
pics of food cooking. like these maple turkey mini link sausages from the reading terminal farmers market here in phila.Where's the scrapple?

The Old Fhart
02-22-2010, 11:29
chris948="You don't need a DSLR and while I'm no expert I'm pretty sure going on about lenses and polarizing isn't exactly the problem."
Color saturation and wide-angle lenses are a factor and Photoshop can be used to intensify the rainbow as well. While you're no expert, I thought you'd like to see what 'experts' have to say.

"The colors of the rainbow can be rendered more intense and saturated using a polarizer (polarizing filter). The filter operates by reducing the scattered white light reflecting off the fronts of raindrops, mist, and background, leaving the colored light of the rainbow. This increases contrast and makes the rainbow appear brighter and more colorful."

How Galen Rowell did it.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dltp-sl_potalapalace/2375822352/

Crappy rainbow photo
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_cIx0xpjXZ68/RnGV3LMoFcI/AAAAAAAAAo8/SOdJE4qoNGk/s1600-h/potatend.jpeg

HumanBN
02-22-2010, 11:34
10-Rainbows

What about double rainbows?

HumanBN
02-22-2010, 11:38

Well, maybe I should have looked at all the posts before posting this. Seems some one else already brought up the double rainbow bit. I do have an interesting story concerning a double rainbow though. I was hiking on Mt. Rogers, Va with a couple of friends and I was talking about seeing a double rainbow. My one friend, who had a tendency to be a know it all type, said I was making it up and that it was impossible. I just stopped talking went about enjoying the walk. As soon as we came out of the pines that surround the peak there was the biggest and fullest double rainbow I had ever seen. Ha, felt good to have God on my side that day. :banana

ChinMusic
02-22-2010, 11:47
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b186/ChinMusicIHSS/Fishing/2007/Milner2007349.jpg

WalkSoftly33
02-22-2010, 12:11
I heard as a kid that there is always an inner and outer rainbow, sometimes you just cant see the outer one...but if you cant see a rainbow then does it even exist? If the human eye can not see it but there is still the double refraction of light that is detectable by other means/species then may be it does...

I dont really care I just enjoy them when I can.

Who cares if something is cliche if it means something to an individual then rock it.

In the spirit of HYOH...TYOP - Take your own pictures

Ps: off topic but...somewhere over the rainbow/what a wonderful world is a fantastic feel good song (IZ)

Gray Blazer
02-22-2010, 12:48
Raindrops on roses
Whiskers on kittens
Bright copper kettles
Warm woolen mittens
Brown paper packages tied up with strings

or just this.....

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/6/2/1/7/100_3146.jpg (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=16056&original=1&c=member&imageuser=6217)

Rain Man
02-22-2010, 12:55
2-Sunsets

WHEW! My sunrises are safe ... for the time being!!! LOL

Rain:sunMan

Spokes
02-22-2010, 13:07
The Mahoosuc Notch tunnel peep through.

berkshirebirder
02-22-2010, 13:15
Oh yeah. Sunrises and sunsets. Sorry rainman.

Shiraz-mataz
02-22-2010, 14:14
* The plaque on Springer Mountain
* Sitting on McAfee Knob
* Standing around the sign on Katahdin...

"Cliche" though they may be, here's to hoping you get to experience every one for yourself. The alternative is to do nothing...

sbhikes
02-22-2010, 15:18

I used a point-and-shoot camera. A Nikon Coolpix.

sbhikes
02-22-2010, 15:21
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b186/ChinMusicIHSS/Fishing/2007/Milner2007349.jpg
Now that's an amazing rainbow!

chris948
02-22-2010, 15:24
Color saturation and wide-angle lenses are a factor and Photoshop can be used to intensify the rainbow as well. While you're no expert, I thought you'd like to see what 'experts' have to say.

Mine wasn't photoshopped, his is ;)

Gray Blazer
02-22-2010, 15:27
None of my pics are photo shopped (as you can prolly tell).

weary
02-22-2010, 15:59
1-Nalgene swigging
2-Sunsets
3-Boulder hopping
4-Stream crossing
5-Boot soles
6-Coiled rope throwing
7-Blurry stars
8-Yoga
9-Wading, pack aloft
10-Rainbows

Think are worse ones? Add your own!!

Or post your own list.............
With the possible exception of boot soles, these are not cliches. Rather they are simply popular subjects photographed by most everyone documenting a thru hike.

The same is true of some of the additions to the list like "The plaque on Springer Mountain," "Sitting on McAfee Knob", and "Standing around the sign on Katahdin..."

I certainly took most of these alleged cliches on my walk north in 1993. I showed my slides to a couple dozen groups. No one ever complained. Most listened and watched attentively.

I was warned when I showed my slides at a Senior Citizen's Club that I shouldn't be upset if people started walking out before I was finished. "Old folks have short attention spans," it was explained.

But no one walked out. And we had a spirited question and answer session afterwards.

Nor did anyone walk out when I did the same presentation to the same group, a couple of years later. The only change was that far more elderly folks chose to attend the second time around.

Weary

Odd Man Out
02-22-2010, 16:07
I always seem to manage to get a gnarled or dead tree or branch in the foreground of my pictures. I have also attached my versions of the "on the rocks", rainbow, and "old junk" shots. Only one of these (the rocks in PA) are on the AT.

Mags
02-22-2010, 17:49

At least for the 15.68% you've done. :)

It is just walking...but out of the walking, many memories come. If it was just 'just walking', I doubt I'd spend so much time outdoors.

Perhaps when 18.76% is done, you may have a different take. :P

max patch
02-22-2010, 18:09
It is just walking...but out of the walking, many memories come. If it was just 'just walking', I doubt I'd spend so much time outdoors.

I'm sick seeing all those pictures of Mags smiling with a beautiful mountain in the background and a hot girl in the foreground. Cause it just ain't fair! :)

Mags
02-22-2010, 18:11
I'm sick seeing all those pictures of Mags smiling with a beautiful mountain in the background and a hot girl in the foreground. Cause it just ain't fair! :)

Making dinner for said girl in a few hours. ;)

The Old Fhart
02-22-2010, 21:38
chris948-"Mine wasn't photoshopped, his is ;)"You seem to have a knack of being consistently wrong. The technical data on the photo is: "Nikon F3 with 75-150mm zoom lens; Kodachrome 64; polarizing filter to darken background." Galen's own description (I had also heard him recount this story several years ago) is:
"...after nearly a mile of running, panting hard at twelve thousand feet in the thin air, I reached the spot where the rainbow was directly behind the palace. .... The background remained dark, and as vivid a rainbow as I have ever seen rose from the golden rooftops at the summit of Buddhism, as if some power in the palace were its source. I increased the rainbow's apparent intensity by further darkening the area around it. I used just enough polarization to cut some of the specular highlights from the water droplets, but not so much that it would weaken or erase the rainbow itself."

Any more 'expert' commentary? :D

chris948
02-23-2010, 08:21
You seem to have a knack of being consistently wrong. The technical data on the photo is: "Nikon F3 with 75-150mm zoom lens; Kodachrome 64; polarizing filter to darken background." Galen's own description (I had also heard him recount this story several years ago) is:

Any more 'expert' commentary? :D

And you have a knack for insulting and completely off base. You posted a link to a 400 x 376 image with no EXIF data and expect anyone to agree that it's not been digitally altered? Any "experts" care to agree with you? I don't think so.

The Old Fhart
02-23-2010, 08:41
Chris948-"And you have a knack for insulting and completely off base. You posted a link to a 400 x 376image with no EXIF data and expect anyone to agree that it's not been digitally altered? Any "experts" care to agree with you? I don't think so."Completely wrong once again (see any pattern here?). If you would take the time to actually read what is posted you would have seen that the photo was taken with Kodachrome film and as everyone knows film doesn't have EXIF data.:p Try to stick to the facts and what is possible in the real world.

For your information, the Galen Rowell photo is probably one of the most well known rainbow photos in the world and you're the only 'expert' claiming it was faked or altered.

beakerman
02-23-2010, 09:36
It helps to know a little physics and have a DSLR. A rainbow is produced by sunlight (white light) being 'separated' or dispersed into its component colors like the demonstrations you see in the classic prism experiments (http://www.webexhibits.org/colorart/bh.html). A rainbow is polarized light so by using a polarizing filter in front of the lens and rotating it you can make the rainbow disappear or really 'pop' out. If you're wearing polarized sunglasses and tip your head from side to side while looking at a rainbow you can see the effect.

Thanks for the tip. I've used various filters in the past with good results on rainbows but i don't always carry a full array of camera equipment on the trail. I'm not a gram weenie but I don't like carying the big guns unless it's a photographic trek...meaning I am planning on taking more than the odd snapshot.

beakerman
02-23-2010, 09:46
I used a point-and-shoot camera. A Nikon Coolpix.

I shall have to look into that one. Right now my Fuji leaves something to be desired on the landscape type photos. i'm sure it's some stupid setting i have wrong. i'm still not used to digital cameras yet I've been a film guy since Iwas a kid so i can take a good pic in film but that does not automatically translate into digital....and yes I still have vinyl and pull them out every once in while. Analog is great sometimes.

Gray Blazer
02-23-2010, 09:51
My Kodak Easy share with 4.0 mega pixels was better than my cannon AS1000 with 12 mp. I guess it had a better lens.

beakerman
02-23-2010, 09:55
...they are simply popular subjects photographed by most everyone documenting a thru hike.

Weary

Weary not trying to be a butthead here but that is the very essence of cliche.

from wiki: a saying, expression, idea, or element of an artistic work which has been overused to the point of losing its original meaning or effect rendering it a stereotype (http://www.whiteblaze.net/wiki/Stereotype)...

these photos are all stereotypes and sure for the individual taking the photo they do have meaning and the obligitory springer plaque/katadyn sign pair bookend a thru hike photo album very well the fact that every single thru hiker has taken that same exact picture renders it cliche...it's not really that bad of a thing just a fact.

beakerman
02-23-2010, 09:58
My Kodak Easy share with 4.0 mega pixels was better than my cannon AS1000 with 12 mp. I guess it had a better lens.

yep it's all about the lens in all cameras. you can put the best film in the biggest camera in teeh world with the best photographer behind it with bad lenses and it won't take as good of a picture as a disposible camera operated but a baby---if it had good lenses in it.

weary
02-23-2010, 11:10
Weary not trying to be a butthead here but that is the very essence of cliche.

from wiki: a saying, expression, idea, or element of an artistic work which has been overused to the point of losing its original meaning or effect rendering it a stereotype (http://www.whiteblaze.net/wiki/Stereotype)...

these photos are all stereotypes and sure for the individual taking the photo they do have meaning and the obligitory springer plaque/katadyn sign pair bookend a thru hike photo album very well the fact that every single thru hiker has taken that same exact picture renders it cliche...it's not really that bad of a thing just a fact.
Hmmm. Are you saying that because every thru hiker seeks a picture of himself on the summit of Katahdin, the photo has lost its meaning. I believe just the opposite. The fact that almost every thru hiker cherishes that photo proves that it continues to have great meaning.

BTW my summit photo sits above my computer desk. It shows me wearing a heavy jacket because it was mid October and cold, but open in front to show my Rusty's Tee shirt. I was grinning for some reason and holding my wooden hiking staff up high. The Katahdin summit cairn can be seen behind me.

I can attest that the photo has not lost any meaning, at least for me.

Other photos decorating my computer room wall include: a view of a tidal bay and salt marsh from my living room window, a pretty waterfall on one of our Phippsburg Land Trust Preserves, and Katahdin as seen from Katahdin Stream campground.

I also have a poster on the wall showing the site where a dam would have destroyed the West Branch of the Penobscot River, except for the efforts of a relative handful of folks who fought and donated rather than just talked about saving the environment; a calendar of old "cliche" family photos fashioned by my daughter as Christmas presents; and a sign that I never got put up during my 25 years of maintaining the White Brook Trail.

Weary

beakerman
02-24-2010, 10:12
Hmmm. Are you saying that because every thru hiker seeks a picture of himself on the summit of Katahdin, the photo has lost its meaning. I believe just the opposite. The fact that almost every thru hiker cherishes that photo proves that it continues to have great meaning.

BTW my summit photo sits above my computer desk. It shows me wearing a heavy jacket because it was mid October and cold, but open in front to show my Rusty's Tee shirt. I was grinning for some reason and holding my wooden hiking staff up high. The Katahdin summit cairn can be seen behind me.

I can attest that the photo has not lost any meaning, at least for me.

Other photos decorating my computer room wall include: a view of a tidal bay and salt marsh from my living room window, a pretty waterfall on one of our Phippsburg Land Trust Preserves, and Katahdin as seen from Katahdin Stream campground.

I also have a poster on the wall showing the site where a dam would have destroyed the West Branch of the Penobscot River, except for the efforts of a relative handful of folks who fought and donated rather than just talked about saving the environment; a calendar of old "cliche" family photos fashioned by my daughter as Christmas presents; and a sign that I never got put up during my 25 years of maintaining the White Brook Trail.

Weary

Ok you can't except the definition of cliche---that's fine. If you don't like "my" definition go look it up yourself. The fact that you take it as having a very negative connotation is not my problem. The denotation is that it is a steryotype.

Are you claiming that the Springer plaque/Katahdin sign pair is not a stereotypical photo op?

Again I'm not using the negative connotation of the word here so don't read it that way. It's just that everyone that thru hikes gets that photo, thus by defintion it is steryotype and therefore can be considered cliche.

Gray Blazer
02-24-2010, 10:16
Another AT cliche pic?

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/6/2/1/7/July2007019.jpg (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=17978&original=1&c=member&imageuser=6217)

DawnTreader
02-24-2010, 10:54
I don't care if their cliche.. their mine.. eat me

weary
02-24-2010, 12:21
Ok you can't except the definition of cliche---that's fine. If you don't like "my" definition go look it up yourself. The fact that you take it as having a very negative connotation is not my problem. The denotation is that it is a steryotype.

Are you claiming that the Springer plaque/Katahdin sign pair is not a stereotypical photo op?

Again I'm not using the negative connotation of the word here so don't read it that way. It's just that everyone that thru hikes gets that photo, thus by defintion it is steryotype and therefore can be considered cliche.
I don't disagree with the wiki definition. I just think you are applying it wrongly. Wiki says a cliche is "a saying, expression, idea, or element of an artistic work which has been overused to the point of losing its original meaning or effect rendering it a stereotype....

All I'm suggesting is the original meaning of a hiker smiling, and waving his hiking stick on the summit of Katahdin after having walked 2175 plus miles remains intact, at least for the hiker, his family and friends. It's a photo most will cherish for the rest of their lives as a symbol of the hiker's will power, physical ability, commitment, and love of nature and the outdoors.

Weary

beakerman
02-24-2010, 23:14
I don't disagree with the wiki definition. I just think you are applying it wrongly. Wiki says a cliche is "a saying, expression, idea, or element of an artistic work which has been overused to the point of losing its original meaning or effect rendering it a stereotype....

All I'm suggesting is the original meaning of a hiker smiling, and waving his hiking stick on the summit of Katahdin after having walked 2175 plus miles remains intact, at least for the hiker, his family and friends. It's a photo most will cherish for the rest of their lives as a symbol of the hiker's will power, physical ability, commitment, and love of nature and the outdoors.

Weary

Fair enough but as more and more people each year thru hike...as in a larger "class" of thru hikers each year it kind of looses a little in that it's not as special to others.

I'm not belittling anyone that manages even attempting a thru hike and especially not those that made it...I will likely never even attempt one because I'm a wage slave at this point

It's like tattoos...follow me on this...when I was growing up only old sailors and bikers had tattoos. Now the hot chick across the street has more tats than a side show....why? because she wanted to be different but guess what so did all of her friends so the entire group is different just like everyone else. That kind of removes the uniqueness of the tattoo experience doesn't it? I'm sure those tats mean something to her (I hope they do anyway) but to the casual on-looker it's just another tramp stamp.

That is the way I'm thinking of the stereotypical hiker photos. I take them too--for me its all about the macro lens...I love me my close-ups of spiders, snakes, mushrooms, cool trees and such--ok I don't use the macro on trees but you get the point.

Taking the same photo as a thousand other folks is not a bad thing...it's just everyone does it...to the casual observer its just another hiker (possibly smelly one at that ;)--sorry couldn't resist the smelly hiker comment) that managed to finish what they started 6 long months ago.

Like I said I'm not playing down the achievement just the photo thereof as far as those outside the immediate group of friends and family.

weary
02-24-2010, 23:37
Another AT cliche pic?

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/6/2/1/7/July2007019.jpg (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=17978&original=1&c=member&imageuser=6217)
It was covered with snow and obscured with fog when I went through in 1993. But I took its picture and used it in my slideshow anyway. No one complained.

Even the senior citizens applauded. I guess I should say, "especially" the senior citizens applauded. No one seemed to think it was a meaningless cliche. But, what do they know?

Weary

chris948
02-25-2010, 11:03
Fair enough but as more and more people each year thru hike...as in a larger "class" of thru hikers each year it kind of looses a little in that it's not as special to others.

When I took my best pictures of Denali I felt I was breathing rare air and at least 40 other photographers (with much better equipment) were standing right next to me. How many people climb everest every year? Enough to make that "cliche" too by that meaning. Using that definition why bother go snowboarding unless you're shawn white?

I mean by that definition what exactly isn't cliche other than pictures taken of me on the moon? And heck, if I'm holding an american flag that might be cliche too :D

Ansel Adams already covered most of the US, I'm not going out and taking pictures of anything unique, and everything I'll ever see has been seen and photographed before. I take pictures for me and that's good enough. I know people who are interested in them and I know I'm interested in my friends pictures even if they are a picture of waves on a beach. They capture experiences which aren't cliche.

Spogatz
02-25-2010, 23:04
I happen to like the tree at the NC border. I take a lot of tree pics and have seen some pretty cool trees.......