PDA

View Full Version : Inserts for boots...

4shot
02-20-2010, 19:28
just got a new pair of boots that I'm breaking in (as a backup, still have many miles in my "good" leather pair). Like any other pair of boots I have ever purchased, I like more cushion in them than what's provided out of the box. I usually go to the local drugstore and by the cheapest pair of inserts (must not have a big arch as I am relatively flat-footed) and replace as needed. I know they make the more expensive kinds...my question is, are they worth it (extra wear and/or comfort)? What brand or type do you use and why? Thanks.

lazy river road
02-20-2010, 19:34
Ive heard people swear by super feet. I waited till I found them on sale for 40% off because I dident believe the hype. I will never wear another pair of boots without the green super feet in them. They make the boots so comfortable and easier to walk in. Id suggest trying a pair for sure

achangeincourse
02-20-2010, 19:41
Ive heard people swear by super feet. I waited till I found them on sale for 40% off because I dident believe the hype. I will never wear another pair of boots without the green super feet in them. They make the boots so comfortable and easier to walk in. Id suggest trying a pair for sure

ya those are nice i have a pair, just be careful about more expensive ones i had a pair custom made (to help a foot problem i've had for a while, for like 365$ and they broke down after 4-5 months to the point i couldn't use them anymore

lazy river road
02-20-2010, 19:46
ya those are nice i have a pair, just be careful about more expensive ones i had a pair custom made (to help a foot problem i've had for a while, for like 365$ and they broke down after 4-5 months to the point i couldn't use them anymore

so True thats why I waited till they were 40% off :)

Tipi Walter
02-20-2010, 19:51
The biggest problem I have with Superfeet(both the green and the blue), is they make my standard boot feel smaller and so my toes get crunched. I wore a green pair of insoles on a long winter trip and when my boots froze I really found the insoles to crimp my toes. Plus, I was told not to increase boot size to accommodate the insole. Luckily I brought the factory boot insoles with me on my trip and swapped them with the Super-Defeated soles.

white_russian
02-20-2010, 20:04
I love my superfeet. Orange for warm weather and red for winter.

Manwich
02-20-2010, 21:48
Green Superfeet. Nuff said.

Blissful
02-20-2010, 22:27
I couldn't use Superfeet for my flat arches. Too much and they hurt. Really depends on your arch. But my hubby who had a regular arches and loves them. I use Spenco hiker insoles.

Elder
02-20-2010, 22:37
www,orthsoles.com
New self adjustable insoles.
Most excellant. Supportive, but not hard.

XCskiNYC
02-20-2010, 23:12
just got a new pair of boots that I'm breaking in (as a backup, still have many miles in my "good" leather pair). Like any other pair of boots I have ever purchased, I like more cushion in them than what's provided out of the box. I usually go to the local drugstore and by the cheapest pair of inserts (must not have a big arch as I am relatively flat-footed) and replace as needed. I know they make the more expensive kinds...my question is, are they worth it (extra wear and/or comfort)? What brand or type do you use and why? Thanks.

I think the more expensive inserts are worth it. I've used $11.50 Aero soles and you could tell they didn't have much cushioning. They did not provide sufficient shock absorption to prevent ankle and calf pain when used in running shoes.

I did use them in my cheap hiking shoes and they seemed to provide an improvement, but not all that much.

You'd think a manufacturer could put in a little bit of rubber and still manage to make a profit but it's not necessarily so.

For running now I'm using these Sof Soles:

http://www.paragonsports.com/product/Sof-Sole-Arch_10551_10051_252492_-1.htm

The Sof Soles go for $20 and have a fair amount of rubber (you can at least squeeze 'em and feel some spring). They're pretty good on cutting down the leg pain. I'm probably going to use these, or maybe even better ones, in my hiking shoes this Spring.

The Super Feet sound good though the ones at Paragon list for $35 or more.

XCskiNYC
02-20-2010, 23:17
As Tipi Walter mentioned, the soles do take up some room in your footwear. When I put the Sof Soles in my running shoes it pushed my feet slightly up into the uppers. Fortunately, the shoes were a bit big for me and after a few miles everything settled into place.

leaftye
02-20-2010, 23:47
I couldn't use Superfeet for my flat arches. Too much and they hurt. Really depends on your arch. But my hubby who had a regular arches and loves them. I use Spenco hiker insoles.

The Green insoles are too high for my arches, but the Blue insoles are work nicely.

Elder
02-21-2010, 00:27
I would point out that even the best shoe/boot manufacturers have to provide a generic/fits most type insole.
A quality insole will enhance any footwear.
Ideally, you would fit new boots with intended socks and footbeds, so any change from the original volume is not an issue.

Tipi Walter
02-21-2010, 00:30
I would point out that even the best shoe/boot manufacturers have to provide a generic/fits most type insole.
A quality insole will enhance any footwear.
Ideally, you would fit new boots with intended socks and footbeds, so any change from the original volume is not an issue.

So, I'll have to go from a size 10 to a 10.5 just to make my Superfeet work?

Elder
02-21-2010, 01:06
So, I'll have to go from a size 10 to a 10.5 just to make my Superfeet work?
Depends on the boot, but your arch length is more important than length, as long as your toes don't touch the end.
Think of it as a system approach.

Rocketman
02-21-2010, 11:38
Depends on the boot, but your arch length is more important than length, as long as your toes don't touch the end.
Think of it as a system approach.

If you get the wrong arch length, the Superfeet will feel miserable, even if you trim the sole length to the precise size of the insole. Actually, that will make them even worse, because there is no chance for a little lengthwise movement to properly fit the arch portion.

If you haven't done it before, don't fit them yourself. If the fitter can't tell you and show you how to fit the arch, walk away and don't buy them there.

Wags
02-21-2010, 11:46
well tipi i'm pretty sure the instructions said that if your toe box felt bunched after inserting the superfeet you should just cut the part off where the ball of your foot is. that the main purpose for them was arch and heel support. i use the green and really like them