PDA

View Full Version : Gloves

Whiskyjo
02-21-2010, 01:18
Backpacking or hiking at around 40 degrees I need liner gloves to keep the hands warm a bit. My problem is when its raining what to do. My winter Gore Tex gloves are too warm. My queston is do they make a thin or liner glove thats waterproof ?? WJ

Dogwood
02-21-2010, 01:39
When it's that temp and it's raining hard or for a long duration I usually try to keep my Manzella Windstopper Light wt gloves on my hands inside the pockets of my rain jacket. It's one of the reasons I prefer rain jackets with hand pockets. The pockets provide more weather protection, especially warmth.

Another route I've taken when it's above freezing and want to keep my hands warm but don't mind them being wet is by using Serius gloves that act like a wet suit, (they are not WP) but are on my hands. This company just came out with some new models that might meet your needs. Check them out.

There are light wt WP shells available too. They can be just a shell or be combined with various wt insulation liners to also keep hands warm.

Wags
02-21-2010, 01:57
you can try surgery gloves if you know any doctors or vets

Doughnut
02-21-2010, 06:48
Try the wool liners. Not waterproof, but I doubt you'd want really rubber like waterproof. I have tried rubber gloves while working in the woods and they are not the answer for me. My hands sweat and the gloves tear, and they are just plain miserable. I use the wool liners from the US Army gloves or similiar. Campmor has a pair similiar but not nearly as warm or rugged, but for $6 it may be your answer,

DoughNut

BrianLe
02-21-2010, 11:27
"... but I doubt you'd want really rubber like waterproof. I have tried rubber gloves while working in the woods and they are not the answer for me."

I carry a pair of nitrile gloves, 13 grams (0.5 oz) for the pair in size XL. Very thin, double duty as a surgical type of glove to protect me should I have to do any (bloody) first aid, but in particular they add a surprising amount of warmth when you really need it (windy cold & wet days).

To be clear, these aren't what I normally wear on my hands, but rather a vapor barrier approach to augment warmth of mittens that I carry, or for use along with thin liner gloves should the weather get colder than anticipated on a summer trip.

You don't need to get them from a doctor or a vet; my local drugstore sells them. I ended up buying a box of these online, as I wanted the largest size I could get and they don't stock those locally (if too tight I'd be concerned that reduced blood flow could undue the benefit ...).

In terms of rubber gloves tearing, for the weight nitrile is pretty tough stuff. Of course they won't last forever, they're disposable gloves for surgical or whatever use, but a box of 50 or 100 or the like wasn't too expensive.

garlic08
02-21-2010, 14:05
I use the $6 Campmor liners mentioned above and they work OK when wet at 40* or so. I always get a couple or three seasons out of one pair as long as I don't wear them splitting wood or something like that. They squeeze dry pretty well, even while you're wearing them, in a downpour.

For me, the real discomfort comes when it's wet and windy. That's when it's nice to have pockets or a wind-proof layer on the hands. On a bicycle, I use a pair of simple home-made waterproof over-mitts, which are about the easiest garment to make. You might consider something like that.

I tried packing latex gloves for a while, but for me it wasn't worth it. I only use them on winter trips when I have to collect surface water and wet gloves could really hurt.

Mags
02-21-2010, 18:24
Wool liners with light, waterproof overmitts.

Light and versatile.

Just Dan
02-23-2010, 21:50
the mountain hardware epic glove is shell-like. waterproof and thin

scottdennis
02-23-2010, 22:21
I really like the wool liners that you can treat them with Nikwax Polar Proof. I've had real good success with Nikwax on my stuff.

Hoop
02-23-2010, 22:40
Wool liners with ULA rain overmitts worked pretty well in blowing chilly rain/light snow. Helped with the wind.

grayfox
02-23-2010, 22:51
I'm with Mags, light wool liners {or fingerless wool gloves} and waterproof overmits {or goretex). This gives you flexibility in changing conditions. You want to not sweat inside waterproof gloves because when the temp drops a few degrees that is bad news. Wet is ok as long as you are moving but even a break will chill you as the blood in your fingers, cooled by evaporation, travels through your body.

Also, try to keep rain from traveling under clothing. If you hike with poles, set them high or low so that water runs off your mittens or off the sleeves of the jacket instead of channeling inside. If you do not use poles then pull your arms inside your jacket where they can warm by body heat or use the pit zips as armholes. When you stop or make camp you can use a spare pair of dry socks to keep your hands warm. Put the wet gloves back on when you head out again.

The most important thing about hiking in those cold wet temps is to get into something dry when you start to feel the chill-especially when you stop. Brew up some tea or hot coco or soup immediately and get into your sleeping bag. If you can't get warm and dry--consider how far it is to the nearest shelter. You might want to keep moving if that is an option at the moment. You will be safer if you are not alone. Hypothermia can sneak up on you fast! So do your thinking and planning while you still feel good and don't wait until you start to feel a bit out of it.

As a first responder, my cold weather setup is latex gloves covered by those stretchey knit gloves you can get for about a dollar which are covered by another pair of latex gloves. This is not comfortable for a long time though. Hiking, I would rather just wear damp wool gloves. Sometimes they get almost dry for a while.