PDA

View Full Version : Checking a pack on a plane

generATion X
02-21-2010, 06:08
Anything I should be concerned with?

fiddlehead
02-21-2010, 06:55
No fuel.
Might be wise to put it all in some kind of big bag so straps or hiking sticks/tent poles don't get caught in their equipment.

Personally, I don't worry about these kind of things but I know many do. (but I would never attempt to take more fuel than what's in my bic lighter)

kayak karl
02-21-2010, 07:12
No fuel.
Might be wise to put it all in some kind of big bag so straps or hiking sticks/tent poles don't get caught in their equipment.

Personally, I don't worry about these kind of things but I know many do. (but I would never attempt to take more fuel than what's in my bic lighter)
agree. i use a $6 walmart duffel bag and leave at hostel.

kyhiker610
02-21-2010, 11:21
airlines take no responsibility for anything on the OUTSIDE of a bag. Straps, buckles, etc... if these get broken due to airline handling, they do not replace/do not care.

put it in a duffle that you don't care about and are ready to thrown away/donate when you've reached your destination.

BrianLe
02-21-2010, 11:38
Things to be concerned about: theft, delayed arrival of luggage, lost luggage, or items in luggage damaged. Add to that these days the increasingly common charge to check even a single bag/box/whatever.

Search this site for other threads along this line for more discussion; some recent threads include
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=56827
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=57938
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54521

I don't mean to stifle new discussion of the topic with those threads (!), but it also seems a little crazy if you're interested in a variety of input to ignore recent discussion.

My own opinion is that an alternative to the (great) idea from Kayak Karl above about a cheap duffel bag is to get a cardboard box of sufficient size. For me, with a lot of relatively light and somewhat expensive gear, I prefer the box so as not to, for example, risk that my carbon fiber trekking poles will get broken.

From boxing things up, a potential next step is to mail it to the destination ahead of time when that's an option. Again, with airlines charging for checked baggage, this has become a more credible option in terms of total travel cost.

K2
02-21-2010, 13:07
Interesting article:
http://lifehacker.com/5448014/pack-a-gun-to-protect-valuables-from-airline-theft-or-loss

Old Hiker
02-21-2010, 13:17
Haven't checked thru the threads, but how about a large plastic tote?

Feral Bill
02-21-2010, 13:30
No gasoline stoves, either, even empty. Some airlines will be ok but why risk it?

white_russian
02-21-2010, 13:40
This crap is why I try to take the train. I can put up with the tiny seats and TSA's security theatre, but I don't like handing over things like my Western Mountaineering sleeping bag to a stranger.

fehchet
02-21-2010, 14:58
I fly a lot with my Osprey pack. They have a bag to stuff the pack into called an Airporter. Walmart duffel works too. Last fall Air Canada let me carry on. That was a shocker. It didn't fit in the overhead so the flight attendant put it in the back.

JustaTouron
02-21-2010, 15:18
This crap is why I try to take the train. I can put up with the tiny seats and TSA's security theatre, but I don't like handing over things like my Western Mountaineering sleeping bag to a stranger.

Most airlines let you carry on one bag of appx 22"x14"x9" in size. If you can't fit most of your gear in a bag that size you are carrying too much stuff.

I would suggest taking two cheap duffel bags that you would not mind parting with (or mail them home) -- one for carry on; one to be checked.

In the the checked one put - knife, stove, tent pegs, hiking poles, tent poles, metal spork, any liquids or semi liquids such as toothpaste, etc anything either prohibited by TSA or that they might harass you over even if not prohibited and your pack if it is too large for carry-on.

In the carry-on one start by loading the expensive stuff...down sleeping bag, goretex rain coat, tent, etc.

If you can't fit it all in the carry on bag put the remaining less expensive stuff such foam sleeping pad or ramon noodles in the checked bag.

Do not pack fuel, lighters, or aerosol cans in either one, buy when you get to destination.

toegem
02-21-2010, 15:21
Solid advice about putting your pack in a gear bag. I have 2 quater size holes in the pack that I used on the JMT that was caused by the pack getting stuck on baggage conveyor.

fehchet
02-21-2010, 15:39
"If you can't fit most of your gear in a bag that size......................"
You assume too much, JustaTouron.

JustaTouron
02-21-2010, 15:48
"If you can't fit most of your gear in a bag that size......................"
You assume too much, JustaTouron.

I bet there are some UL folks who would claim you should be able to fit ALL, not just most. But either way it is more than enough space for even a heavy packer to not worry about the airlines losing the really expensive gear.

fehchet
02-21-2010, 16:03
I see our point JustaTouron. I've always checked the whole lot and hoped for the best.
When Air Canada let me on with my pack in a bag, it had a stove (no fuel) and my Swiss Army knife (It has a 4 inch blade.) shhhhhhhh
Then I get to Toronto Pearson Airport and customs waves me through.

white_russian
02-21-2010, 17:24
Most airlines let you carry on one bag of appx 22"x14"x9" in size. If you can't fit most of your gear in a bag that size you are carrying too much stuff.

I would suggest taking two cheap duffel bags that you would not mind parting with (or mail them home) -- one for carry on; one to be checked.

In the the checked one put - knife, stove, tent pegs, hiking poles, tent poles, metal spork, any liquids or semi liquids such as toothpaste, etc anything either prohibited by TSA or that they might harass you over even if not prohibited and your pack if it is too large for carry-on.

In the carry-on one start by loading the expensive stuff...down sleeping bag, goretex rain coat, tent, etc.

If you can't fit it all in the carry on bag put the remaining less expensive stuff such foam sleeping pad or ramon noodles in the checked bag.

Do not pack fuel, lighters, or aerosol cans in either one, buy when you get to destination.
The problem is that when you fly from a one horse airport to another one horse airport you fly on regional jets and they gate check your carry on as well. It is not as bad as checking it through the counter, but it is still turning it over to someone who doesn't care.

JustaTouron
02-21-2010, 17:36
The problem is that when you fly from a one horse airport to another one horse airport you fly on regional jets and they gate check your carry on as well. It is not as bad as checking it through the counter, but it is still turning it over to someone who doesn't care.

I have never heard of an airline losing gate checked lugguge on those types of flights. If your luggage is not properly packed something could get crushed. I would feel safer gate checking luggage than sticking it under a bus on greyhound where every stop people would have access to steal it without me seeing and not finding out until a couple of cities later.

JustaTouron
02-21-2010, 17:38
I
When Air Canada let me on with my pack in a bag, it had a stove (no fuel) and my Swiss Army knife (It has a 4 inch blade.) shhhhhhhh
Then I get to Toronto Pearson Airport and customs waves me through.

Was this pre- or post- 9/11/01?

fehchet
02-21-2010, 17:42
Last year flying from Portland, ME to Charlotte and then Toronto. It flew as stored luggage from Maine to North Carolina. Then carry on after that.

modiyooch
02-21-2010, 18:00
If checking luggage, I only do non stop flights. The times that my luggage was lost involved connecting flights. Also, mark it with something distinguishable like bright orange tape so there is NO mistake at baggage p/u. Mail your stove ahead unless brand new. Buy fuel when you arrive.

modiyooch
02-21-2010, 18:02
Last year flying from Portland, ME to Charlotte and then Toronto. It flew as stored luggage from Maine to North Carolina. Then carry on after that.you went from maine to toronto by way of charlotte??

JustaTouron
02-21-2010, 18:16
you went from maine to toronto by way of charlotte??

My work once wanted to book me on a flight from Hartford, CT to Washington, DC with a 4 hour layover in Miami, FL (total travel time around 15 hours) because it would $25 cheaper than a direct flight (~2 hour flight). I told them I would pay the $25.

generATion X
02-21-2010, 23:32
Thanks for the input people, didnt mean to offend you with my laziness BrianLe, I like the cardboard box idea btw. Just got a $9.99 flight from St. Pete to Chatanooga, now to find passage to Dahlonega for even less...

modiyooch
02-22-2010, 10:08
Thanks for the input people, didnt mean to offend you with my laziness BrianLe, I like the cardboard box idea btw. Just got a $9.99 flight from St. Pete to Chatanooga, now to find passage to Dahlonega for even less...
My pack is a large external frame. I found it easier to place in duffle bag with handles due to the portability of getting it to and from checkout. You can also wear it on your back and stuff it right before checkin.

ce_rubicon
02-22-2010, 10:23
I work for a railroad and know what delays amtrak get's. I'll stick to flying if I want to get there. Talked to some folks that went from Dallas to Chicago by train and arrived 7 hours late, my reply you got here early.

Skyline
02-22-2010, 11:04
Amtrak can be an adventure, not unlike backpacking. With both, you need to be open to all the good that can occur during your trip or trek, and be prepared to be flexible when things out of your control happen to mess with your original plans.

Both can be a blast if you have a good attitude. Planes, not so much these days.

As for on-time performance, Amtrak trains can be late for myriad reasons, much of it due to freight (non-Amtrak) congestion, weather, etc. But many routes' trains are on-time more often than not. I just checked http://www.amtrakdelays.com/ and found that Train 20, one used by a lot of AT hikers travelling to Atlanta or Gainesville, has an average performance over the last four weeks of only being 15 minutes late (as verified today, 2/22/10). You can enter train numbers and cities for the entire system to get an average encompassing the past one, two, three, or four weeks for that train and city destination.

Back on-topic: If you can ship your gear ahead, consider boxing it up securely and use UPS or FedEx Second Day Air. Ship it to a willing friend, hostel, shuttle service, or UPS or FedEx Store A lot cheaper than Next Day, and more reliable than the post office. Good online tracking, and both boast an excellent history of not losing the package.

BrianLe
02-22-2010, 12:43
"A lot cheaper than Next Day, and more reliable than the post office."

When I took my best shot recently at comparing prices, I found USPS parcel post to be cheaper for that ~25 pounds of gear and food I sent to the Hiker Hostel (from the west coast). I didn't particularly care how long it took to get there, so the 7 - 8 days predicted for parcel post was fine.

I'm not saying that I've done an exhaustive or expert search, just that a quick check seemed to show USPS as cheaper.

I'd be interested in any objective data on whether UPS or FedEx are more reliable than USPS. I'm not saying this isn't true, just --- I prefer something more akin to reliable data where possible. FWIW, I insured my box, not for full value, but I figured it would make them pay a bit more attention.

JustaTouron
02-22-2010, 13:08
I'd be interested in any objective data on whether UPS or FedEx are more reliable than USPS. I'm not saying this isn't true, just --- I prefer something more akin to reliable data where possible. FWIW, I insured my box, not for full value, but I figured it would make them pay a bit more attention.

No hard data, just some anitiocial experience that I have never had a package being shipped to me or from me get lost with UPS, Fedex or DHL, nor known anyone personally who has. But have had a few things get lost in the mail (USPS). Nothing I ever sent with tracking or insurance via the USPS has ever gotten lost. (But that has been only a very few items)

I attribute this to several factors. 1. The system. It is a lot harder to lose track of a package if everytime it gets on or off a truck or plane or anytime it moves thru a warehouse it gets scanned than if it is just moving in bulk. 2. People lie. You can't lie and claim you sent something or didn't recieve it if it has a tracking number. I believe that a few of the packages "lost" by the post office were never really sent and the sender was lying to me. I have no way to prove this but my gut feeling that a decent junk of "lost" packages by the post office weren't lost by the post office. 3. Less user mistakes. You can stick something in the mail w/o it having a proper address and return address. People mail stuff with illegiable addresses and the stuff has no place to go.

I would not sending anything without tracking and requiring a signature.

Blissful
02-22-2010, 14:44
I flew with my backpack and gear this summer. Used my backpack as a carry on, put rest of my gear in a duffel bag (incl. poles) to check. No problems.

stranger
02-26-2010, 02:02
I use a simple, gigantic stuff sack from Campmor, I think it cost me about $12 10 years ago or something. The drawback is that it has no way to carry it once the pack is inside so I had a webbing strap sewn into the side of it.

Works great, super light and cheap, has survived about 10 international flights and only has a couple of holes in it!

Even Flow
02-26-2010, 02:20
Sorry if this has already been said as I didn't read alot of the responses. I have been told that it is not uncommon for pocket knives, trekking poles, fuel canisters & stoves to be confiscated. Also most all packs will be considered over-sized & over-weight. I was quoted a $79 price to check my bag from Pittsburgh to Atlanta. I am staying in a hostel close to the trail & having my pack shipped to the hostel.

Hope this helps & remember, it's all about the smiles, not the miles!!! :)

10-K
02-26-2010, 07:35
As for on-time performance, Amtrak trains can be late for myriad reasons, much of it due to freight (non-Amtrak) congestion, weather, etc. But many routes' trains are on-time more often than not. I just checked http://www.amtrakdelays.com/ and found that Train 20, one used by a lot of AT hikers travelling to Atlanta or Gainesville, has an average performance over the last four weeks of only being 15 minutes late (as verified today, 2/22/10). You can enter train numbers and cities for the entire system to get an average encompassing the past one, two, three, or four weeks for that train and city destination.

Thanks for the link... I just checked my train and it's averaging 0 minutes delay for the past week, 15 minutes late for the past 3 weeks and 55 minutes late over the past 4 weeks. (Train is #98 from Fayetteville, NC to Penn Station, NYC) Actually, over the past 7 days it's arrived early 4 of those days.

There were some serious delays 4 weeks ago, probably due to weather conditions at the time, which skewed the 4 week average.

Smoky in TN
03-10-2010, 17:00
When I flew north to begin my sobo AT hike, I had a small GoLite pack. They let me carry it onto the plane. At the check in area, they rub swabs all over the pack and then put them in a big machine. I ask "what's that?" The attendant replied that it was a sniffer, to detect explosives. The first thing that I thought of was the fuel tablets. They are going to think the tablets are TNT. I said, "I hope it passes", The guard gave me a stern look and said "So do I!" They let me pass. When I flew west for the PCT hike, I just put it all in a box and sent it to the post office at El Cajon. When I finished, I went to Seattle for a while and then decided to go to Portland. They searched my pack and would not let me on the bus with a small can of bugspray. I thought they were joking, but Barney was serious. I had to give them the can, in order to get on the bus. All the passengers (except me) had a good laugh.