PDA

View Full Version : Feel the Pain - Ouch

Ladytrekker
02-21-2010, 09:47
Although I do alot of hiking in Florida and on the FT, I am doing my first section hike on the AT in May only have a week so I am going to start at Springer and hike to Neels Gap. In which I am so excited I am having a hard time containing myself.

I decided to get in better shape and Monday I am starting high intensity training 3 days a week better known as boot camp classes it is a 5 person ratio with a personal trainer. This gives me 37 visits before I hit my section.

Three of my co-workers are in this program and they tell me each session feels like your going to die. So, I am thinking this will help me alot. LOL.

I see so much on whiteblaze that you better be fit and others say just do it. (Isn't that a Nike commercial).

Hopefully I will be alive to update progress on this.

Thanks to everyone on Whiteblaze for knowledge, prodding, just laugh out loud moments I have reading some of these threads.

Egads
02-21-2010, 10:12
Fljj48, a couple of comments.

Keep your pack weight down to low 20s or less and you'll be fine. Hiking this section isn't really that difficult.

You will probably hike further than 30 miles in a week, unless you like to hike for 2-3 hours and hang out in a shelter the rest of the day. Many do this section in 2 days.

Not sure why this is in the woman's forum

Ladytrekker
02-21-2010, 10:46
Just touching base with the other women on the forum.

I am not into sitting in a shelter but I am probably going to take 4 to 5 days to hike this I am more into the being in the woods, hanging out in the mountains and would rather treasure every step vs mileage. This is a 30 mile section and why would I want to do it in two days. I am in no hurry.

Mrs Baggins
02-21-2010, 11:17
Well now you've inspired me. We're the same age and I agree - no hurry to get the miles done. Guess tomorrow morning it's time to hit the treadmill. I'd prefer walking outside (nice hilly neighborhood) but we've had a bit of a tough winter and there's just too much ice and snow everywhere. No need to risk falling on the sidewalk or pavement.

Praha4
02-21-2010, 15:41
fljj48 - just a suggestion on your section hike from Springer to Neels Gap; think about staying up at the Amicalola Falls State Park Lodge, then hike the approach trail to start your hike, stay at Springer or BlackJack shelter your first night... it would add 8-9 miles to your hike, but you could leave your car at the Park Visitor center and shuttle back from Neels, and the Falls is worth seeing, especially in May when the wildflowers are coming out. have a great hike

modiyooch
02-21-2010, 17:00
I am probably going to take 4 to 5 days to hike this I am more into the being in the woods, hanging out in the mountains and would rather treasure every step vs mileage. This is a 30 mile section and why would I want to do it in two days. I am in no hurry.You don't have to be in a hurry to rack up mileage. I spend my whole day walking, and since I average 2 miles/hr it doesn't take much to cover the territory. I do think that you will most certainly hike more than 6 miles a day. Let us know.

Turtle Feet
02-21-2010, 19:13
I can understand wanting to allot a week - especially if you're a flat-land hiker. No point in feeling pressured to make the miles. You could run into some really sucky weather too, might like to take a really low mileage day.

I'm from the upper mid-west, we have 'hill's but not mountains. My kids and I spent 10 days in Glacier National Park this past summer. Let me tell you - elevation makes all the difference. Seemed to affect me (at 50yo) moreso than my 18 & 22 yo's, sucked the life-blood right out of me! I'm not sure how much we'll feel it in GA, but I dont' think it's going to be like hiking sea-level either.

Bear Cables
02-22-2010, 00:11
Just touching base with the other women on the forum.

I am not into sitting in a shelter but I am probably going to take 4 to 5 days to hike this I am more into the being in the woods, hanging out in the mountains and would rather treasure every step vs mileage. This is a 30 mile section and why would I want to do it in two days. I am in no hurry.

First, you will be glad that you have improved your fitness level. Your stamina will be better so you will enjoy the trip so much more. I wouldn't hike 30 miles in two day either. Take you time and enjoy the outdoors. I usually do 30 miles is about 3 1/2 days and love the pace.

Blissful
02-22-2010, 09:59
It's good to work on your cardio and your weight as it will help you on hills, but nothing prepares your limbs, feet, and body overall then just getting out there hiking with a backpack.

And agree - take your time and savor your journey. You will love it that way. Section hiking is tough but much more rewarding, imo

Hawkwind61
02-22-2010, 21:20
I have asthma and hit upon a solution a couple years back to help me stay in 'trail shape' over the winter so that I wasn't struggling every spring when I hit the trails again.

I found an elliptical someone was giving away and I use either a weighted vest or partially load up my pack with my hammock and some clothes and a couple off those soft weighted balls you can find in the fitness section of Wal-Mart of K-Mart and 'train' on my elliptical throughout the winter with about 2/3rds of my usual pack weight.

The first year I started out doing 20 minutes at a time. I worked my way up in weight and time and staved off boredom by tossing a movie into my little tv/vcr/dvd combo and watched a movie as I 'rambled' along.

I found that since doing winter training with a weighted vest or loaded pack I have reduced the amount of time it takes me to be 'trail ready' in the spring.

I also have a gym membership and I asked them if I could bring in my pack so that I can train on the stepper and the treadmill there too.

I'm also an avid weight lifter and I have started doing training that I consider specific to my needs as a backpacker throughout the winter at the gym. I put my winter routine together with the help of this website: http://www.bodyresults.com/ that I stumbled upon while looking for exercises that would help me get trail fit.

Hope this helps!

buzzamania
02-22-2010, 21:41
I did the approach to Springer then from Springer to Unicoi in 5 days. It was a bit rushed but I have a goal to do the whole thing in chunks before I die in 2060, so miles are important too. I'm from Florida and walk from my house in Crestview to the FL trail about 4 miles away. There is simply no comparison in terms of challenge. I could do 20+ miles here vs 12 or so there. Find a step machine and do weighted lunges. Also have someone make sure your boots/shoes fit your feet right. I didn't and I was a little uncomfortable. I'd call ya crazy if you didn't hang in a hammock while you're there. It's the only way to go!

Erin
02-22-2010, 23:21
You are going to have a blast on your section. We did, out a a very unfit winter. As above, keep your pack weight down if possible, don't go too fast and savor the sights and people. You will love it. And on day 3, you will have worked out some of the soreness and have your routine going. For middle age fitness, I recommend walking up and down alot of stairs in a tall building, over and over. Enjoy your trip!