PDA

View Full Version : newbie

monkeymuscles
09-28-2004, 09:49
Hello, my name is Chris and I am into the weekend nature walks in the woods because I find it so awesome to get away from civilization. Since I live so close to the AT here in north NJ I go to the state parks almost every weekend esspecially in the fall so I can hike either around the park or the AT and just visit different shelters and other interesting aspects of the trail. Anyway just wanted to say hi and share my interest for the outdoors that I'm sure everyone here has. Take Care, Chris
(monkeymuscles)

Pencil Pusher
09-28-2004, 18:46
Hey monkey, you should check out the Appalachian Mountain Club, NY/NJ Chapter: http://www.amc-ny.org/ They do quite a few hikes each weekend in and around your neck of the woods.

MOWGLI
09-28-2004, 19:16
Hello, my name is Chris and I am into the weekend nature walks in the woods because I find it so awesome to get away from civilization. Since I live so close to the AT here in north NJ I go to the state parks almost every weekend esspecially in the fall so I can hike either around the park or the AT and just visit different shelters and other interesting aspects of the trail. Anyway just wanted to say hi and share my interest for the outdoors that I'm sure everyone here has. Take Care, Chris
(monkeymuscles)

What part of Northern NJ are you from Chris? I lived in Warwick, NY for 14 years until recently. Do you hike the Liberty Loop Trail at the Wallkill National Wildlife Refuge much? It's one of my very favorite places to hike, and a GREAT place to see wildlife.

Little Bear GA-ME 2000

karo
12-30-2004, 16:27
After discovering this site and lurking for a couple of times, I finally decided to register and say Hi. My name is Kerry Sumners and I have been backpacking for 4-5 years. I have enjoyed dayhikes all my life but me and a friend decided to finally start backpacking. I have been posting on thebackpacker.com for a couple of years and learned quite alot form everyone on the net on all the forums. After breaking an ankle for the fourth time in Virgin Falls trail in TN, I decided to go lighter wieght. I now have my 3 season packweight under 20 pounds sans food and water. I just returned from an overnight stay at Roan High shelter and will post a trip report.

SGT Rock
12-30-2004, 16:41
Welcome to the WhiteBlaze.

dharmabum86
12-30-2004, 16:49
I'm new too and it never dawned on me to introduce myself. I live in GA and have been backpacking since I was a baby (in tow with my dad!). I'm 25 now and planning a thru-hike for 2006. Actually I've been planning since 2001. I'm stoked to be a member and going to SORUCK in a couple weeks. Hope to meet some of you there!
Brandi:banana

kyerger
12-30-2004, 17:17
I am a newbee too. I am planning a thru hike in 2006 also. That is when i will finish college again...lol. i like white blaze a lot and have learned so much from it. Sargent Rock is a fine person. He has helped with some of the info i requested. i plan on leaving from the state park in Ga. and hiking the approch trail. i have heard that trail is very hard...is that right?.. The date for me to leave is April 3 2006...I hope it is not to early to leave. I dont plan on doing big miles to start, because that ends the hike for many people. Is anyone planning for that date also?. How many people can i expect to see when i leave?. I also want to stay at the lodge the night before i go on the trail....Has any one stayed ther?...Is it nice?.. I will be a RN is maybe i can help people out if they get in to trouble. The hike is all that is getting me through school rigt now...After all i will 50 when i leave so you can inagine how hard nursing school is for me. hiking the trail has been a life long dream on mine and the timing seems right to do it in 2006. Hope to see you all out there with me..:banana

karo
12-30-2004, 18:51
I have actually exchanged e-mails with you last year. You may not remember it but I think we discussed pepsi stoves or hammock camping, etc. I have been posting on thebackpacker.com for a few years and Matt the webmaster lives just down the road from me. Good to hear you are in TN and someday maybe we'll meet on the trail.

SGT Rock
12-30-2004, 18:52
I look forward to it. I am still TRYING to make it to the SoRuck. No guarantees.

bailcor
12-30-2004, 19:36
Have you done any hiking around Bear Mtn.? Great hike up there involving Doodletown, a town that had existed for two hundred years and disapeared in the 60's. I've got to know its history very well. Drop me a line, would be glad to show it to you sometime.

PecosBackpacker
01-01-2005, 19:42
To all of the newbies, welcome to WhiteBlaze.

Hikerhead
01-01-2005, 20:48
I am a newbee too. I am planning a thru hike in 2006 also. That is when i will finish college again...lol. i like white blaze a lot and have learned so much from it. Sargent Rock is a fine person. He has helped with some of the info i requested. i plan on leaving from the state park in Ga. and hiking the approch trail. i have heard that trail is very hard...is that right?.. The date for me to leave is April 3 2006...I hope it is not to early to leave. I dont plan on doing big miles to start, because that ends the hike for many people. Is anyone planning for that date also?. How many people can i expect to see when i leave?. I also want to stay at the lodge the night before i go on the trail....Has any one stayed ther?...Is it nice?.. I will be a RN is maybe i can help people out if they get in to trouble. The hike is all that is getting me through school rigt now...After all i will 50 when i leave so you can inagine how hard nursing school is for me. hiking the trail has been a life long dream on mine and the timing seems right to do it in 2006. Hope to see you all out there with me..:banana

Yes the lodge is very nice. Get there in time for the saturday buffet. You won't have to eat again for a week. If you're in any kind of shape at all, the approach trail is not that hard. When we got to springer, we wondered what all the complaining was about. The approach trail cuts across the mtns so you do climb about 5 or 7 puds. Me and three buds did the
GA section last year starting on the same date as you. It was great fun and you'll meet up with plenty of people. Be sure to look for Gizmo, the trail maintainer. Quite a guy. I have a journal about our hike on this site. Enjoy yourself.

kyerger
01-02-2005, 00:02
Thank u very much for your info.....i hope i see lots of hikers around that time....I cant wait for next year...The AT is something i have dreamed about all my life and the timing is going to work....see you all up on the trail...:clap