PDA

View Full Version : Water Purifiers?

Marmotnj
02-21-2010, 19:04
leaving in 34 days and just decided to loose the iodine tabs and go with a purifier. I have been looking into a sweetwater but heard they jam. can't seem to find a purifier with really good reviews. What are some popular filters that some of you more experienced hikers use?

Hooch
02-21-2010, 19:19
IMO, the best filter on the market was the ULA Amigo Pro gravity filter, but it's not on the market anymore. Paul at Arrowhead Equipment (http://arrowheadequipment.webs.com/) offers a gravity filter called the AquaSimple (http://arrowheadequipment.webs.com/apps/webstore/products/show/1153086). All you need to add is the filter element itself. You can also make one based on Just Jeff's directions (http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearGravityFilter.html). Of course, you can get a regular pump filter that has moving parts and is prone to breakage, takes up time and energy to make work and gets progressively more difficult to pump the longer you have the filter cartridge. :rolleyes:

Roche
02-21-2010, 21:18
Have you looked into / researched Aquamira Water Treatment Drops? I now have an MSR Waterworks filter for sale, includes ceramic catridge and membrane element which are both still in the original box.

CrumbSnatcher
02-21-2010, 21:33
IMO, the best filter on the market was the ULA Amigo Pro gravity filter, but it's not on the market anymore. Paul at Arrowhead Equipment (http://arrowheadequipment.webs.com/) offers a gravity filter called the AquaSimple (http://arrowheadequipment.webs.com/apps/webstore/products/show/1153086). All you need to add is the filter element itself. You can also make one based on Just Jeff's directions (http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearGravityFilter.html). Of course, you can get a regular pump filter that has moving parts and is prone to breakage, takes up time and energy to make work and gets progressively more difficult to pump the longer you have the filter cartridge. :rolleyes:
what do you mean the amigo is off the market:eek: I sure hope you picked me one up?

CrumbSnatcher
02-21-2010, 21:37
IMO the best filter is the katahdyn hiker :cool:
nothing else to see hear folks lets move along!:D

CrumbSnatcher
02-21-2010, 21:47
for what its worth
99' thruhike i fought my sweetwater most of the way after a few hundred miles
02' and 03' i used a pur hiker( now katahdyn hiker) and have never had a problem with it. i still use it today
i hiked with alot of people using the MSR MINI-WORKS good filter but slow! some like the bottle attachment on the msr but i prefer the hoses on the katahdyn. attaching the bottle to the filter sounds like a good deal but watching people pump them is a different story! i believe the pour size on the katahdyn is larger than the sweetwater and the mini-works making it flow better, it used to be anyway. and the pump design on the katahdyn is faster and smoother
things change and they might of changed things/specs on those filter to make them better/faster? there are fans of all three of these filters, i hope you find one you like. have a great hike!!!

Hooch
02-21-2010, 22:00
what do you mean the amigo is off the market:eek: I sure hope you picked me one up?After ULA got sold this past fall, they halted production of it, however, I'm not exactly sure why. I found this out when I went to ULA's website to buy one for Dancer for Christmas. Bummer, too, because it was one of the best filters on the market and definitely the best gravity filter on the market. Oh well, easy come, easy go (This won't break my heart, don't ya know). Did I just quote Winger lyrics? :eek::rolleyes::D

Tinker
02-21-2010, 22:22
I have a First Need. Heavy but it kills viruses and removes organic chemicals (according to the manufacturer). I've been using one since the mid 1980s and haven't had an intestinal malfunction while (or shortly after) a hike since I bought it.
It can be used as a gravity filter. The filter cartridge is sealed, so it cannot be cleaned though it can be backwashed with treated water to allow a few more gallons to pass through before replacement is necessary. Like most filters, it doesn't work when it's frozen, but unlike some it can be thawed out, undamaged, and be used again. The only problem I ever had was breaking the seal inside the cartridge on one when I dropped it from chest height onto the kitchen floor. I doubt most other filters would have survived either. I'm not sure whether or not the new models come with the bag and grommet/nipple and hose for use as a gravity filter. You could certainly save a few ounces by leaving the pump at home. A bag filled with untreated water could, theoretically, be squeezed through the filter and collected on the other end (a forced gravity filter).

white_russian
02-21-2010, 23:09
I have a Katadyn Hiker and have NEVER had a problem with it or encountered anyone who had problems with it. I have been using it for at least five years, but can't remember how long I have had it. It is a pretty simple design and the cartridges are easy to find.

Marmotnj
02-22-2010, 11:14
thinking about going with the Katadyn hiker pro. the good reviews strongly out weigh the bad. [B]CrumbSnatcher[B], have you ever had any mechanical problems with this pump?

LimpsAlong
02-22-2010, 11:33
Katadyn hiker, Cheap, reliable.

CrumbSnatcher
02-22-2010, 11:37
thinking about going with the Katadyn hiker pro. the good reviews strongly out weigh the bad. [B]CrumbSnatcher[B], have you ever had any mechanical problems with this pump?
try to filter the water from the cleanest spot in the water source & carry a light weight collaspeable waterbag(for camp at night) that way you can scoop up enough water for the evening and enough to load up in the morning.(without going back to the water source more than once) i carried a 3-gallon coghlans(probably spelled wrong)cheap,light and rolls into a small ball,MRO in damascus has them. my current filter my PUR HIKER(bought out by katahdyn) has 7,000 miles on it.(i have only owned 2 filters) i plan on carrying it this year also on the COLORADO TRAIL and the LONG TRAIL
i've owned it since 2001 & have never had a problem. the only problem i noticed on trail is i came across a few different people over time and they had no pressure build up in the pump handle. that is a easy fix you pull off the handle pour a little water inside the pump housing and close it back up this is called priming the pump. i have never had to do this. i believe its because the small little rubber seal on the inside of the pump(you won't miss it) needs to be lubed once or twice a year. lube the rubber o-ring when you replace the filter. the lube/grease come in a small tube included in every new filter box. just follow the instructions and you will be fine! GREAT FILTER

Marmotnj
02-22-2010, 18:22
:DThanks everyone for the info. just have to make it through the next 33 days without going crazy.:D

Appalachian Tater
02-22-2010, 18:29
Katadyn Hiker or Hiker Pro. Look at the reviews on Amazon for the Hiker Pro for a lot of different viewpoints. The filters are available at most outfitters if it needs replacing and the pump itself is sturdy and easy to use.

Regardless of which brand you buy, you might want to put some stocking or a coffee filter over the inlet and be careful not to drop the hose in the water and have it go downstream.

Another option would be to start out with iodine and see what people are using then buy one you like on the trail. No doubt if you offer to pump water people will be glad to let you try theirs out.

rp1790
02-22-2010, 19:55
Well, going against the grain here but I had a Katadyn Hiker Pro, cleaned it every few days and it clogged up so bad I broke the handle. I know of two others last year that had the same problem. The guy I was hiking with, he cleaned his filter a lot and about 2 weeks after mine broke his got to the "can't pump and the handle will break" stage as well.

Might I suggest leaving buying one until you get to Neels Gap and seeing what their recommendation is? You could use some Aqua Mira for the first few days until you get there.

Mountain Wildman
02-22-2010, 20:15
First Need XL

leaftye
02-22-2010, 20:20
I've just started using it, but I really like the MSR Autoflow. It's 10.5 ounces and filters really fast. I bet an ounce can be removed by trimming the hose and straps, and maybe even more if the nalgene cap assembly isn't used.

Marmotnj
02-22-2010, 20:29
What about the Katadyn pocket filter? Besides it being expensive it looks like a good buy. The thing looks bullet proof and i haven't seen a bad review. I've seen more than one review saying they have had theirs for over 20 years. the advertisement says one ceramic filter is good for 13,000 gallons and can be cleaned in the field. if thats true its probably the cheapest and most functional filter on the market.

What do you guys think?

Marmotnj
02-22-2010, 20:32
and at 20 ounces the pocket is not the lightest, but I'm a sucker for reliability so i could deal with it.

CrumbSnatcher
02-22-2010, 20:41
Well, going against the grain here but I had a Katadyn Hiker Pro, cleaned it every few days and it clogged up so bad I broke the handle. I know of two others last year that had the same problem. The guy I was hiking with, he cleaned his filter a lot and about 2 weeks after mine broke his got to the "can't pump and the handle will break" stage as well.

Might I suggest leaving buying one until you get to Neels Gap and seeing what their recommendation is? You could use some Aqua Mira for the first few days until you get there.
did you use the filter screen that wraps around the filter? the filter works much better without that screen!
never heard of people cleaning a hiker or hiker pro so much(what are you cleaning ?the screen with that little brush that comes with it?) probably had a pinched hose when you broke the pump handle and the air couldn't get thru was it really cold out when your pump broke?

CrumbSnatcher
02-22-2010, 20:45
i planned for two filters cartridges on every thruhike and NEVER had to clean anything. the screen that comes with the filter is a new concept a few years ago for the hikerpro/hiker. that is the only thing that there is to clean i wouldn't use that screen it was like they tried to fix something that wasn't broke. I HOPE NO ONE WAS TRYING TO BACKFLUSH THE FILTER and clogged it up. theres nothing to a katahdyn filter the cartridge, the pump housing, and two hoses. very simple
& try not to drag the end in the mud

rp1790
02-22-2010, 21:19
did you use the filter screen that wraps around the filter? the filter works much better without that screen!
never heard of people cleaning a hiker or hiker pro so much(what are you cleaning ?the screen with that little brush that comes with it?) probably had a pinched hose when you broke the pump handle and the air couldn't get thru was it really cold out when your pump broke?

Yep, I did use the little pre-filter on the end of the hose and never had a crimp in the hose. I would regularly (every 2-3 days) take the filter out, wash it in the stream and rinse out the housing as well.

Really seemed like grit getting into the housing where the pump handle goes, rather than issues with the filter itself getting clogged. Same thing with the guy that was hiking with me, you could take the filter out and feel the handle was hard to pump and gritty...

Tuckahoe
02-22-2010, 21:30
I was recently in the market for a filter and chose to purchase the Hiker Pro. I just felt that it was simpler and the filter would be easier to take care of. Or was it that Crumb insisted that ladies would find me more attractive cause I use the Hiker Pro...

My hiking partner and I have considered testing the filter out on the slack tub in the forge and post a video. Yeah its full of coal ash and rotting leaves.

CrumbSnatcher
02-22-2010, 21:30
Yep, I did use the little pre-filter on the end of the hose and never had a crimp in the hose. I would regularly (every 2-3 days) take the filter out, wash it in the stream and rinse out the housing as well.

Really seemed like grit getting into the housing where the pump handle goes, rather than issues with the filter itself getting clogged. Same thing with the guy that was hiking with me, you could take the filter out and feel the handle was hard to pump and gritty...
i was talking about the screen that wraps around the filter cartridge. then you slide it into the housing. not the prefilter. but taking the paper filter out and rinsing it is part of the problem,do the instructions tell you to do that, i doubt it. and if you always have grit and gravel in the bottom of the pump housing! it might be a sign! that your prefilter was spending way too much time on the bottom of the water source IMO. and that was the main source of the clogged filter but pulling the filter out of the housing to rinse it every 2-3 days changed the normal water flow thru the paper filter when its in the housing. maybe im wrong? sorry you had a bad time with it when hiking,i love mine. whatever you guys use i hope it works well for you

NorthCountryWoods
02-23-2010, 12:45
I bought a PUR hiker back in the 90s and bought a K-hiker filter in about 02 or 03 and only did that because the original filter was impregnated with iodine. No problems, tastes great and it still works fine. Wife and I overnight an average of 40 days a year and usually filter 4-6 quarts a day.

Lyle
02-23-2010, 13:47
Filters, no matter what kind are big, heavy, and subject to breakage/blockage/malfunction.

Must be careful not to let them freeze or the water left in them can crack the ceramic filter and you won't even know it, but you'll be drinking unfiltered water after pumping your butt off.

AquaMira - light, compact, tasteless, and as convenient as a filter.

I've used filters, both pump and gravity, Iodine tablets, Steripen. AquaMira wins.

CrumbSnatcher
02-23-2010, 13:52
Filters, no matter what kind are big, heavy, and subject to breakage/blockage/malfunction.

Must be careful not to let them freeze or the water left in them can crack the ceramic filter and you won't even know it, but you'll be drinking unfiltered water after pumping your butt off.

AquaMira - light, compact, tasteless, and as convenient as a filter.

I've used filters, both pump and gravity, Iodine tablets, Steripen. AquaMira wins.
do you have to wait before drinking the water when using aquamira?

Lyle
02-23-2010, 14:00
15-20 minutes, about the time it takes to get out your filter, assemble it, position yourself on a rock, filter your water, accidentally knock your just filtered water into the stream while changing bottles, refilter the first bottle, drain your filter, and finally, repack your filter making sure not to contaminate the "clean" tubing with the "dirty" tubing. :D

Actually, I pay attention to my water supply, so I don't wait until I'm out of water before I treat some more. In those 15 minutes, I finish off the water I treated the last time. Seeing as I keep my water bladder deep inside my pack, it is almost always still refreshingly cool, even in hot weather. The minor inconvenience of AquaMira in no way counters the extra weight, bulk and care that must be given to a purifier.

CrumbSnatcher
02-23-2010, 14:06
i can and have filtered 3-7 qts. or so in minutes and enjoy clean clear tasting water!

Tipi Walter
02-23-2010, 14:08
IMO the best filter is the katahdyn hiker :cool:
nothing else to see hear folks lets move along!:D

Yeah, I agree. I've had a PUR Hiker for about 7 years and use it frequently and have been thru about 8 cartridges.

I have a Katadyn Hiker and have NEVER had a problem with it or encountered anyone who had problems with it. I have been using it for at least five years, but can't remember how long I have had it. It is a pretty simple design and the cartridges are easy to find.

Read the next quote:

I've broken two pump handles over the years but they can be easily fixed using a long wood screw. Check out my fotogs below.

CrumbSnatcher
02-23-2010, 14:11
i also carry a collapseable bag and use it sometimes. scoop up some water and filter from the bag. easy cheesy
my dog also drank my filtered water and i became very efficient at it! so the 30 to 40 minute time for some is true, but that wasn't me:D i didn't use the stuff sack i carried my filter on the side pocket of my external and the clean hose was very handy.

Blissful
02-23-2010, 14:26
yes you do have to wait for Aqua Mira to work. Worked fine for me but not for those who are really thirsty and want their water now (though they do have to sit and pump it)

CrumbSnatcher
02-23-2010, 14:32
The minor inconvenience of AquaMira in no way counters the extra weight, bulk and care that must be given to a purifier.
wasn't putting AquaMira or you down (i respect you too much for that) to me the weight of my filter is a non-issue just like the weight of my external framepack. to each his own. HYOH and just like you watching your water supply closely so did i! i had to make sure i had enough for me and my dog at all times! always thinking and planning ahead of the game right?:cool: i also carried my dogs gear and food/water. so the bulkness of the filter was also a non issue,it fit perfectly in a pocket of its own. don't feel sorry for me for wearing a external whenever my dog had a day off! that heavy filter in that heavy pack might of been doing a 30-40 mile day;)

Lyle
02-23-2010, 14:56
No offense taken. Note the smiley face in the post quoted.

Just pointing out opinion. Worth what was paid for it.

Bati
02-23-2010, 15:12
I've had excellent experiences with the pocket filter. The biggest problems are the initial cost and the weight. Though my original cartridge was rated for 10,000 gallons, I believe I got about 10% less than this. I blame it on some particularly bad water that the filter cleaned without any need to prefilter. There was some glacial runoff, which had to be really bad for the cartridge life, and then there was one time I filtered a small tricke running over packed ice and snow on the trail by Roan mountain (finding the actual spring was too dangerous),and more than one sad mud puddle. I had no second thoughts about replacing the cartridge with another one when the time came.

Chicago
02-23-2010, 16:59
I remember when I was looking at water treatment for the first time and I had to wrap my head around all the things that could really rip me up inside. And to give it no chance I decided to go on the heavier side (*ugh* weight!) and double up on the filtration and chems.

I decided to go with the MSR MiniWorks because it can filter out everything down to 0.2 microns (which is almost everything except itty bitty viruses) I can rip that puppy up and clean it it in the field. For the chems (I know, I know, chems right? Yuck!) I went with AquaMira, a chlorine dioxide agent, that neutralizes everything else that might have slipped through the MiniWorks' ceramic filter. And chlorine dioxide is a well known method that doesn't leave as much residue as chlorine (they're different even though they share similar attributes.) And using both of these methods covers a lot of water: turbid water, cold water, bad water, good water. It also covers you a little bit if one of the two methods fails (i.e. breakage or loss).

If I had to look at a different filter, I'd definitely check out the MSR HyperFlow. It looks like one really needs to follow the directions, but it's stupid light and filters out particles to 0.2 microns like the MiniWorks.

Appalachian Tater
02-23-2010, 17:05

Washing your filter and housing out in the stream defeats part of the reason for using a pump in the first place. Better to do that in a hotel or hostel with a dilute bleach solution.

For the most part, people having trouble with the Katadyn aren't using it correctly. Some people don't have the patience for the pumping itself.

CrumbSnatcher
02-23-2010, 18:40
the katahdyn filters out 0.3 microns and is much faster and more reliable! the ceramic filters suck(sweetwater & mini-works) unless they improved/changed since 2003? . i owned a sweetwater it sucked
and i've been around a dozens of people over the years and watched the miniworks in action. im usually on qaurt#3 or #4 (sometimes#5)by the time they finish bottle #1.