chknfngrs
09-28-2004, 11:20
Any idea of the following loop-

BigStoneCoal Trail
Rocky Point Trail
Red Creek Trail
Breathed Mtn Trail
BigStoneCoal Trail

Or recommendations for a long weekend in the same area?

hustler
09-28-2004, 12:09
If I had three days I would park in the northern parking lot (Red Creek Camp Ground) and hike Blackburn Knob trail to Red Creek Trail. Camp somewhere on Red Creek, the camping is great. Then keep heading south and pick up Rocky Point or StoneCoal/dunkenbarger run trail depending on how many miles you want to hike. Rocky Point has great veiws of the valley and is a good hike. Stonecoal puts you in beter shape to see more of the sods. I would do the stonecoal trail unless you feel like only hiking a few hours each day, its well worth it. Hook back up with Big Stonecoal, then Breathed mountain, cross country, then back to your car with blackburn knob. I haven't hiked there in years but I have done all the trails there and I loved them all. The camping is great almost everywhere. Have a great weekend.

chknfngrs
09-28-2004, 12:26
thanks hustler.

any idea of mileage.

veteran
10-01-2004, 19:11
Link:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/mnf/sp/dolly_sods_wilderness.htm

willyhort0w2
10-02-2004, 01:35
I am heading to the dolly sods area the last weekend in october... I believe it is the 29th 30th and the 31st.

IDriveB5
03-14-2006, 20:10
planning on hiking dolly sods over spring break(next week!) anyone have springtime suggestions for the park?

Cheesewhiz
03-15-2006, 08:27
be careful crossing Red Creek! it can be swift and deep in the spring.

halibut15
03-15-2006, 08:46
Special Notice: Many of the artillery and mortar shells (http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/mnf/graphics/ds_shells_dynamite.jpg) shot into the area for practice still exist here. In 1997, a highly trained crew surveyed the trail locations and known campsites for shells. They found 15, some of which were still live. All were exploded on site. Many more may still exist and are dangerous. Since it is impossible to survey every acre of the wilderness, we ask that you follow the recommendations below for your own safety.If you find an artillery shell, often called a bomb, DO NOT pick it up. Make a notation on a map, showing location, landmarks, and distance to nearest trailhead – anything helpful - and contact either the Petersburg or Parsons office of the Monongahela National Forest. We will know who to contact to get it removed. A good location by you is important to us so that we can find it again.

Bombs? Heck yes! :banana

IDriveB5
03-15-2006, 22:55
:eek: will try to avoid live munitions...

speaking of munitions...
dolly sods is in a national forest? does anyone know what the regulations on carrying a handgun? links?

starvingmusician
03-15-2006, 23:49
Most National Forests (not to be confused with National PARKS) have cooperative agreements with state game or conservation departments. West Virginia allows for licensed (resident) concealed carry on State Park property (even with a sign posted saying all firearms must be cased. All firearms but your concealed carry firearm must be unloaded and cased in a West Virginia State Park), and only offers reciprocity with Kentucky and Virginia (VA resident permits only). West Virginia permits anyone who can lawfully possess a handgun to carry an unconcealed handgun.

You might want to bookmark www.packing.org (http://www.packing.org)

Judy

IDriveB5
03-16-2006, 02:14
already have, long long ago, lots of good info.

Teatime
03-16-2006, 03:22
Never heard of this place. When I first saw the thread I had a vision of Dolly Parton laying down sod in a wilderness area. Odd, I thought, why would she be doing that. Boy, was I way off!

IDriveB5
03-16-2006, 14:11
haha, i keep having the same thought. i believe the original spelling is "Dahle" sods.
this will be my first time going there, pretty excited.

tlbj6142
03-16-2006, 15:02
haha, i keep having the same thought. i believe the original spelling is "Dahle" sods.
this will be my first time going there, pretty excited.Its a great place. Going to spend 4-5 days there in May. Make sure you get the "good maps" as many (all?) of the FS maps are way wrong. The best site for the correct maps is the 2nd entry below. Some of these links may be broken, so check the parent site for updated information...

Trail Info:
http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/mnf/sp/dolly_sods_wilderness.htm (gov't site)
http://home.adelphia.net/~johntrudy/ (http://home.adelphia.net/%7Ejohntrudy/) (Excellent Maps)
http://www.wvhighlands.org/ (covers all of the MNf, links to some old DS maps)
http://www.wvhighlands.org/Voice%20PDFs/VoiceNov04.pdf (http://www.wvhighlands.org/Voice%20PDFs/VoiceNov04.pdf)(page 11 covers DSN trail descriptions)

Photos/Video: First link below has GPS information as well.
http://www.jcu.edu/philosophy/gensler/wva/
http://community.webshots.com/album/157238358XWOaMH
http://www.midatlantichikes.com/

BlackCloud
03-16-2006, 15:06
Any idea of the following loop-

BigStoneCoal Trail
Rocky Point Trail
Red Creek Trail
Breathed Mtn Trail
BigStoneCoal Trail

Buy the book dude:rolleyes:

tlbj6142
03-16-2006, 15:08
Buy the book dude:rolleyes:What book? The MNFv7 book is a bit weak on content and the maps are wrong.

BlackCloud
03-16-2006, 15:16
What book? The MNFv7 book is a bit weak on content and the maps are wrong.

Sorry, it was a joke. You asked about so many trails I thought you qualified as an Amazon customer.

As for what book, well, smartass here has no idea; but there's got to be one!

I've hiked out there & have found trail blazes & signs to be spotty. Be sure to have a good map, a compass, & know how to use them.

I don't know why but I don't really like it all that much out there. It's kind of boring!

DON"T MISS THE NORTH FORK TRAIL TO THE EAST!!!

Blissful
03-16-2006, 15:56
The Dolly Sods is my husband's all time favorite place to go. There's plant life that one sees only in Canada, and in early August there are ripe blueberries galore. It does get soggy and muddy there, so be sure you have waterproof boots. And it can get pretty cold there any time of the year (snow is likely this time of year as well). This place is much better in the summer though when you can swim in Red Creek and view the plant life. Good campsites by Red Creek are only two miles away if you head out on the trail right from the Red Creek campground. Down the road from the campground, Bear Rocks has a nice view and you can explore that area as well. But he likes it that it really is more wilderness than built up, requiring a map and compass, and you can explore at will. Good for Boy Scouts.

IDriveB5
03-16-2006, 17:53
not interested really in campgrounds, definitely looking forward to the back country. all these sites that have been listed are very helpful, thanks

LostInSpace
03-22-2006, 01:29
I don't think the MNFv7 book is that bad, but there are some errors in the maps. However, if you are willing to work at it a little, here is how you can get accurate trail maps. You won't be able to print them directly, unless you have access to ArcView, however you can do screen prints.

The Forest Service has GPS mapped all the trails in the MNF. Go to this site http://svinetfc4.fs.fed.us/ and download the desiged quads from the Raster Data Gateway. Download the "trails" GIS data set from the Vector Data Gateway. Download a free copy of the Global Mapper software from ftp://ftpmcmc.er.usgs.gov/release/dlgv32pro/dlgv32_pro_usgs_setup.exe. Global Mapper will enable you to overlay the vector trails on the raster quads.

Tip: In Global Mapper, change the configuration color for displaying "Trails" to red vs. the default black. This will make the trails stand out.

Tip: Onve you load what you want in Global Mapper, go to the Tools->Control Center and highlight the trails overlay. Click the options button. In the "Feature Types" tab, scroll the "Get Feature Name from Attribute" option until "TRL_NAME" is selected. Click the "Apply" buttom. This will cause the trail names to be displayed.

The USFS quads are generally better quality than the scanned USGS quads. The FS quads also have the green background removed, so they are easier to read, although there is a way to remove it from the USGS quads in Global Mapper.

Yes, all this is a pain, but it will give you an accurate trail track on a 1:24,000 topo quad. I found that by taking screen snaps and pasteing them into an MSWord document, I could save them and print them all at one time.

Also note that Global Mapper will only let you load four overlays at a time ... one for the trails plus three quads, so you may have to swap out the quads as needed. Or you can spend $250 for a licensed copy of Global Mapper which has no restrictions and provides a printing function. It's cheaper than ArcView.

tlbj6142
03-22-2006, 09:46
I have to wonder how accurate the FS data could be if their maps, to date, are wrong? Have they gone out and performed a new survey?

Frankly, I would be more inclined to use the GPS data provided by John Trudy (2nd link in my above post) than use the FS data. I also believe you can access the JT information using National Geographic Topo ($99). Which gives you print capabilities.

What I did was order a custom topo of the area ($15) and painted (using an oil-based sharpy) the trails (JT's data) by hand on the map. Rather easy to do.

LostInSpace
03-22-2006, 23:57
I have to wonder how accurate the FS data could be if their maps, to date, are wrong? Have they gone out and performed a new survey?

All the government agencies are going/ or have gone to vector-based maps. Just because the FS has not updated the raster-based maps does not mean that the GIS data is inaccurate. USGS is not updating their DRG quads either. In fact, they are not even distributing DRGs any more. They have relegated distribution to commercial firms and educational institutions.

I compared the FS trails overlay to the maps at John Trudy's site you referenced. They match almost identically as far as I can tell. Note that John Trudy overlayed the trails on a vector hypsographic overlay, not on a DRG image, so some info that a DRG would normal show is not available.

Yes, you could import the "raw GPS data" into NG's Topo program, but it will still be a little messy. I have done this many times by converting ERSI GIS shapefiles to text and then importing them into Topo. The problem is that the data does not impart as a track. Topo converts each location into a waypoint. Consequently, you wind up with a bazillion waypoint icons on your map, but they do indicate the location of the trail. Importing them into Maptech Terrain Navigator at least gives you a smooth line.

I have both Terrain Navigator and Topo. Because NG insists on keeping it .tpo file format a proprietary secret, nobody can build a decent conversion routine. Consequently, I refuse to buy any any more NG products.

Cookerhiker
07-05-2008, 16:27
Returned yesterday from 3 days in Dolly Sods. Would have stayed longer but heavy rains ensued after my second night so I figured another time will come. The trailhead is less than 60 miles from home.

First day - hiked in northern section where landscape is all open country of scrub and blueberry bushes punctuated with occasional mountain laurel (in full blooming season) and spruce trees. Reminded me very much of Northern New England except for the laurel. Hiked Bear Rocks trail, turned left onto Dobbin Grade trail which was very mucky - couldn't keep my feet dry. Turned right onto Raven Ridge trail uphill and camped at nearly 4,000'. Gorgeous weather with a constant breeze to ward off bugs but not enough to affect my stove's performance. Even though campsite was out in the open, the breezes and drying winds overnight prevented a heavy dew buildup. Splendid sunset and sunrise.

Second day - continued on the Raven Ridge Trail until it ended at the Rocky Ridge Trail which bore south. Hiked the entire trail to where it ended at the Big Stonecoal trail. At this point, I had dropped from the high open meadows into forest. The Big Stonecoal trail was also reminiscent of New England with its extreme rockiness and myriad roots. This section was in federally-designated wilderness so trail maintenance was minimal although there were still signs at junctions unlike the Otter Creek wilderness further north.

By the time Big Stonecoal ended at Red Creek, I had descended to 2,800'. Fording the creek was a pleasure. On the other side, I picked up the Red Creek Trail which as the name implies traverses up Red Creek over 6 miles to its headwaters. Hiked about 1.5 miles up the creek to my next night's campsite. Weather still holding up but rain expected tomorrow.

Third day - rained heavy overnight but at least it stopped by morning. Skies still heavy-looking and gray as I packed up and decided to forgo hiking all the way up Red Creek. The ruggedness of the trail with rocks & roots made very slippery from the rain combined with the lack of views made the decision.

So I hiked up the Fisher Spring Trail (again, very rugged with rocks everywhere including some rockfields where it was hard to pick up the trail) to the Forest Service Road where I walked back to the car. On the way up, I sank my trekking pole in deep muck and lost the tip.

Wonderful area! I'll be back. I was about 2 weeks too early for the blueberries. I've posted some photos.

Sly
07-05-2008, 19:10
I've always wanted to go. Maybe after this years Gathering.

2Questions
07-06-2008, 07:08
Great place! Lots of good memories! One of my favorite experiences was camping at Red Creek. Early in the morning I was awaken by the sound of several deer ripping grass out about 2 feet from my tent. I slowly opened my eyes and the deer were looking at me as if to say.."You making the coffee?".
There is a great water slide in the creek as well. And while your close and in the area, don't miss the Flat rock area to the south. Blueberries and often a bear or two eating them. It's wide open there and with binoculars we saw several bear eating blueberries there.
Have a great hike. Wish I were going.

Cookerhiker
07-06-2008, 08:35
Great place! Lots of good memories! One of my favorite experiences was camping at Red Creek. Early in the morning I was awaken by the sound of several deer ripping grass out about 2 feet from my tent. I slowly opened my eyes and the deer were looking at me as if to say.."You making the coffee?".
There is a great water slide in the creek as well. And while your close and in the area, don't miss the Flat rock area to the south. Blueberries and often a bear or two eating them. It's wide open there and with binoculars we saw several bear eating blueberries there.
Have a great hike. Wish I were going.

I'm going back in 2 weeks to dayhike and check out the blueberries which should be ripe by then.

I wondered about the bears. My first campsite was in the open so bearbagging my food was an issue. I managed to hoist it up an evergreen but I think a determined bear (or raccoon) could have snagged it. No problems.

Cookerhiker
07-06-2008, 08:41
I've always wanted to go. Maybe after this years Gathering.

Sly, I can pick up some maps for you from USFS on my way to the Gathering if you're interested.

tlbj6142
07-07-2008, 10:00
I wondered about the bears. There are bears in the area, but I've been there several times and have only seen 1 ( on my last trip). Bears are hunted in the region so I would hope most have a healthy fear of people.

I did see a handful of bears in Cranberry Wilderness (about 1.5 hours south of Dolly Sods). CW is a great location as well. Especially if you are into fly fishing and/or creeking.

Cookerhiker
07-07-2008, 10:04
....I did see a handful of bears in Cranberry Wilderness (about 1.5 hours south of Dolly Sods). CW is a great location as well. Especially if you are into fly fishing and/or creeking.

I hope to get to Cranberry Wilderness this year, perhaps en-route to the Gathering.

Sly
07-07-2008, 10:05
Sly, I can pick up some maps for you from USFS on my way to the Gathering if you're interested.

That would be awesome.

weathercarrot
07-10-2008, 13:31
I'm coordinating the program for this year's ALDHA Gathering, and I'm looking for some interesting and new topics for workshops/presentations. I've always been interested in Dolly Sods, and this seems to be a perfect example of the kind of presentation subject I was looking for.

So I'd like to get some ideas from this group about what a Dolly Sods presentation might look like, and who would be knowledgable enough to create something affective (both educationally and inspirationally). Any thoughts?

Cookerhiker
07-10-2008, 15:09
I'm coordinating the program for this year's ALDHA Gathering, and I'm looking for some interesting and new topics for workshops/presentations. I've always been interested in Dolly Sods, and this seems to be a perfect example of the kind of presentation subject I was looking for.

So I'd like to get some ideas from this group about what a Dolly Sods presentation might look like, and who would be knowledgable enough to create something affective (both educationally and inspirationally). Any thoughts?

I think it's a good topic given the unique nature of Dolly Sods - high-elevation meadows and evergreens more reminiscent of New England than the mid-Atlantic. It must be more than just the sheer elevation alone. Parts of Shenandoah NP extend more than 4,000' and yet it's nothing like Dolly Sods.

My recent trip there was my first one so I expect you'll find other WBers and/or ALDHAers who are more familar than I and have covered more trails. But if desired, I can at least contribute some good recent digital photos if the presenter would like to employ them.

I'll probably return there in a few weeks for the blueberries - I live about an hour away.

Skyline
07-10-2008, 15:25

Greg,

You might post this on the PATC Trails Forum. In the past, I've seen posts from some of the regulars there who have hiked Dolly Sods extensively and seem to know a lot about the area. If I'm not mistaken some have a pretty good photo collection.

They don't archive posts on that forum like WB and many other sites, instead deleting them after a few months or less, so I can't point you in the direction of any specific thread.

Anyway, to post something there, go to:

http://www.hypernews.org/HyperNews/get/trails/PATC.html

gghiker
08-01-2008, 20:09
I'll be in Dolly Sods in October, and I'm grateful for all the info. My first foray into WV, hopefully not the last.

Cookerhiker
08-01-2008, 21:31
I'll be in Dolly Sods in October, and I'm grateful for all the info. My first foray into WV, hopefully not the last.

I just returned from cycling the Allegheny Highlands Trail (http://www.higlandstrail.org)in WV and stopped at the Forest Service Office in Parsons, picking up the map and guide for Dolly Sods. I promised Sly I'd give him a copy at the Gathering. If you don't have this map, it's worth your while obtaining it from the FS.
Here's the contact point (http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/mnf/sp/dolly_scenic.html).

Sly
08-01-2008, 21:44
Thanks for thinking of me Cookerhiker. Have Map, Will Travel. :)

schnikel
06-27-2010, 16:41
I and 3 others are headed out to Dolly Sods July 1st - 5th. We are hoping to hike about 35 miles done in that time. I will be our first time out there. It seems as though the northern area is very unique and should not be missed. Are there any other areas? Thanks
Schnikel

schnikel
06-27-2010, 16:42
I and 3 others are headed out to Dolly Sods July 1st - 5th. We are hoping to hike about 35 miles in that time. It will be our first time out there. It seems as though the northern area is very unique and should not be missed. Are there any other areas? Thanks,
Schnikel

Cookerhiker
06-27-2010, 16:57
I and 3 others are headed out to Dolly Sods July 1st - 5th. We are hoping to hike about 35 miles in that time. It will be our first time out there. It seems as though the northern area is very unique and should not be missed. Are there any other areas? Thanks,
Schnikel

The only other point about Dolly Sods' northern area that hasn't been mentioned on this thread is there are several wet spots. After all, it's meadows. Anytime you're in a low point, it will be wet and you have a few fords. The other thing in the open areas is the difficulty in hanging your food. Assuming you want to camp in the meadows, the only trees around are thick spruce trees not conducive to hanging your bear bag. I just sort of tossed mine on the tree branches and it survived the night. See Post #`26

For future trips in Monongahela NF, my 2 favorite are the Otter Creek Wilderness near Parsons and further south, the Cranberry Wilderness.

Have a great hike!

schnikel
06-27-2010, 17:25
The only other point about Dolly Sods' northern area that hasn't been mentioned on this thread is there are several wet spots. After all, it's meadows. Anytime you're in a low point, it will be wet and you have a few fords. The other thing in the open areas is the difficulty in hanging your food. Assuming you want to camp in the meadows, the only trees around are thick spruce trees not conducive to hanging your bear bag. I just sort of tossed mine on the tree branches and it survived the night. See Post #`26

For future trips in Monongahela NF, my 2 favorite are the Otter Creek Wilderness near Parsons and further south, the Cranberry Wilderness.

Have a great hike!

I have hiked Lower Otter Creek about 4 yrs ago. It is the reason I chose Dolly Sods for this trip. Great Place!
Just so I am on the same page: is the "northern" area you are speaking of North of the Blackbird Knob Trail?
Schnikel

Cookerhiker
06-27-2010, 17:46
I have hiked Lower Otter Creek about 4 yrs ago. It is the reason I chose Dolly Sods for this trip. Great Place!
Just so I am on the same page: is the "northern" area you are speaking of North of the Blackbird Knob Trail?
Schnikel

Yes, Blackbird Knob trail is generally the dividing line where Dolly Sods becomes more open meadows. The Dobbin Grade trail is the one that's so watery.

crazyonelost
06-27-2010, 18:46
I cannot remember the trail(one from red creek to the picnic shelters) there is a very nice vista and a nice camping area. That is where I heard a black bear trying to get my food bag during the night. I think my hiking partner heard it too cause the next morning my hiking partner all but ran out of the woods to the trail head. He never ever went hiking again

Cookerhiker
06-27-2010, 18:57
I cannot remember the trail(one from red creek to the picnic shelters) there is a very nice vista and a nice camping area. That is where I heard a black bear trying to get my food bag during the night. I think my hiking partner heard it too cause the next morning my hiking partner all but ran out of the woods to the trail head. He never ever went hiking again

I believe that's the Rohrbaugh Trail.

tlbj6142
06-27-2010, 23:50
If you haven't found them already, the best DS maps are found here. (http://www.wvhighlands.org/Pages/Maps_DSRP.html)

The wet, often knee deep shoe sucking mud, section is on Dobbin Grade starting Raven Ridge and ending about half way to Beaver Dam Trail. There are a few other wet/muddy spots, but that section is by far the worst.

DSN has been one of my favorite areas to hike. I've taken my children there several times (Photos (http://picasaweb.google.com/yellowjacketlite/DollySodsFall2007) and more Photos (http://picasaweb.google.com/yellowjacketlite/DollySodsJune2007)). DS is nice, but DSN terrain is so rare in the Eastern US.

FWIW, you ought to be able to cover just about every inch of DS and DSN in 3 days as the terrain is rather gentle, though very rocky in the southern parts. So, you might want to venture into Roaring Plains just south of DS (connected by a short road walk) as, it too, is now a wilderness. I've heard the views along its Eastern edge are nice. The maps for Roaring Plains are on the same page I linked above.

I wonder how crowded it might be that weekend? Let us know when you return.

schnikel
06-29-2010, 15:54
Thanks for the posts you guys.
I did have that link to the maps, they are good ones for sure. I also found maps at http://www.hikesite.com to be very useful as well especially for mileage questions. I think we will stay in a hotel Thursday night somewhere around Elkins, (any cheep ones anyone knows of?) Then get up early and drive in to DS. So we will hike pretty much all of Fri, Sat, Sun, and some on Mon., then drive back. As I said in an earlier post somewhere around 35, 40 miles as a loop. Looking at the map, you could do tons of loops connecting DSN with DS and maybe down into Roaring Plains as well. The area as a whole is a little smaller than I thought it would be but it seems like a great place to spend that much time. Has anyone hiked in Roaring Plains? How does it differ from DS and DSN? Anyone got a good hotel recomendation coming from Ohio?
Thanks again.
Schnikel

tlbj6142
06-29-2010, 16:44
Anyone got a good hotel recomendation coming from Ohio?
Thanks again.
SchnikelCan't help you with a hotel, there plenty in Elkins (Snowshoe Ski Resort is just down the street), but I will tell you the best way to get there from Columbus is...33-->50-->79-->33-->Elkins-->32.

Cookerhiker
06-29-2010, 16:51
Thanks for the posts you guys.
I did have that link to the maps, they are good ones for sure. I also found maps at http://www.hikesite.com to be very useful as well especially for mileage questions. I think we will stay in a hotel Thursday night somewhere around Elkins, (any cheep ones anyone knows of?) Then get up early and drive in to DS. So we will hike pretty much all of Fri, Sat, Sun, and some on Mon., then drive back. As I said in an earlier post somewhere around 35, 40 miles as a loop. Looking at the map, you could do tons of loops connecting DSN with DS and maybe down into Roaring Plains as well. The area as a whole is a little smaller than I thought it would be but it seems like a great place to spend that much time. Has anyone hiked in Roaring Plains? How does it differ from DS and DSN? Anyone got a good hotel recomendation coming from Ohio?
Thanks again.
Schnikel

I believe Elkins has a few name-brand motels - try searching on kayak.com or a similar search engine. But do you want to stay in Elkins because you're arriving late? Wouldn't it be better to stay up on the plateau in Davis or Thomas? There are some motels in Davis. I'm assuming you don't want to spend the big $$$ to stay in the lodges at Blackwater Falls or Canaan Valley.

Here's a real cool place to stay: the guest house of The Purple Fiddle (http://www.purplefiddle.com/index.html) in Thomas. You can get a meal and catch some live music. The guest house is adjacent to the pub or you can stay in their hostel upstairs for only $20.

schnikel
06-30-2010, 15:27
Yea, trying to save as much $$$ as I can. Elkins is right on the way in so I thought that would be a good place, but it sounds a little touristy to me. Couldn't find much in Davis or Thomas. I think I am going to try to priceline a hotel tomorrow morning for Elkins and snag a nice room for cheap.
The Purple Fiddle sounds right up my alley, but perhaps not my wife's; especailly on the way in to hike, thanks for the link though.
I think I will post a TR when I return and I'll let you all know how the hike went and how busy it was.
Schnikel

tlbj6142
06-30-2010, 15:46
Elkins is right on the way in so I thought that would be a good place, but it sounds a little touristy to me.Elkins isn't touristy. It is a small mountain town that just slows you down on the way to your real destination (Skiing [north or south of town], Dolly Sods, etc.). You'll curse every traffic light in the town (of which there seems to be too many). But it does make a nice bathroom stop and/or the last place to get a meal before heading off to your final destination.

IIRC, there are a few Motel 6 like places in town. So, you ought to be able find something cheap.

Cookerhiker
06-30-2010, 17:04
...I think I will post a TR when I return and I'll let you all know how the hike went and how busy it was.
Schnikel

Yes, do so. We're looking forward to hearing from you. Hope you have good weather. One thing you can count on: it won't be beastly hot, especially the nights should be cool and pleasant.

tlbj6142
06-30-2010, 17:16
Hope you have good weather. One thing you can count on: it won't be beastly hot, especially the nights should be cool and pleasant.This is true. That reminds me, the weather forecasts for any place nearby Dolly Sods do not apply to Dolly Sods. It can be warm and sunny in the valley, but DS is 3-4K higher (especially DSN) which means it could be foggy and raining. So, when you plan a trip to DS, plan for everything (including sub-40F temps at night) as the forecast don't provide any guidance at all.

crazyonelost
06-30-2010, 18:07
I have to agree about the weather, when I was there a few years ago over july 4th weekend the valley was in the mid 80's and at the campground on top. it dropped down in the 30's during the night. so def be prepared for the difference in temp

Cookerhiker
06-30-2010, 18:11
The valleys e.g. Elkins are definitely warmer but if you want a reasonably accurate forecast, check out Davis. The town sits at over 3,000' on the Allegheny Plateau and is one of the highest-elevation incorporated municipalities east of the Mississippi.

schnikel
06-30-2010, 21:42
I found a really nice sounding B&B for $75 which includes a hot breakfast, lookin' forward to that. I'll speak more of that in the TR.
The posts about the weather are funny, cause I am in the middle of trying to decide what the clothes to pack now. The weather online is saying highs in the mid 70's and lows in mid 50's. Sounds nice to me. We will have to see how close that is to what DS really is. Thanks for the ideas and comments guys, see ya when I get back.
Schnikel

Gray Blazer
06-30-2010, 23:03
I did not see where anyone mentioned the Cass Railroad. I don't think it's too far and it's really worth it.

Cookerhiker
06-30-2010, 23:25
I did not see where anyone mentioned the Cass Railroad. I don't think it's too far and it's really worth it.

I was at the Cass Scenic Railroad (http://www.cassrailroad.com/) 2 weeks ago. It's not real far - I'd say less than 2 hours from the entrance to the Dolly Sods area but I don't think it worthwhile for Schnikel to go there on this trip. At Cass, you can stay in the state park-operated "company houses" near the start of the railroad. Another neat thing is you can take the Cass Scenic Railroad to the top of Bald Knob - 2nd highest point in WV - and stay in a primitive cabin (http://www.cassrailroad.com/wilderness_cabin.html). You then catch the next train down the following day. So we spent a night at the cabin (you must make reservations - sleeps 4 - only 1 party may reserve) and after leaving the next day, bicycled 2 days down the Greenbrier River Trail (http://www.wvstateparks.com/Brochures/GreenbrierRiverTrail.pdf), taking 2 days to cycle the 77 miles.

There are loads of outdoorsy things to do in the Monongahela National Forest region of West Virginia and it's rarely crowded. At the higher elevations especially, there's 4-season recreation with good cross-country skiing. In fact some places' prime season is winter for both downhill and X-Country skiing.

Gray Blazer
06-30-2010, 23:31
Hearing that melancholy steam whistle blow in them there mountains is a sound you will not soon forget.

Gray Blazer
06-30-2010, 23:33
Mouintain biking at Snowshoe in the summer. You can ride your bike to the top of Bald Knob. Prolly even beat the Train.

schnikel
07-09-2010, 15:24
Hi All,
Sorry for the late TR here but things have been crazy ever since I got back from Dolly Sods.

July 1- My wife and I and a friend left from C-bus around 5:30pm and drove to a B&B we had reservations at. We arrived around 10:15, so nit quite a 5 hr drive. The name of the B&B is Casual Comfort B&B and it is like your sterotypical B&B except for the breakfast. For $75 dollars which includes the room and B-fast for all three of us, I thought it was quite reasonable.

July 2- We all awoke at 7:00 and headed down stairs and for the next hour gourgeg ourselves with the finest breakfast I can remember. Honeydew, pancakes, bacon, etc etc... enough for a thru hiker!
We drove another hour and parked at the lot across fromRed Creek campground and headed west on the Blackbird Knob trail. Great vistas awaited us just 15 minutes into the hike. The weather was perfect as we talked with an older couple as we pulled some water on our way to the Harman trail and up Rocky Ridge Trail. The views we had from this section of trail will not soon be forgotton. We sat for while and just soaked it all in , eating blueberries by the handfulls. The only real problem we encountered was a lack of water. This fact caused us to hike 13miles the first day covering the majority of DSN. We made a loop coming down the Raven Ridge trail and connecting with the Upper Red Creek trail and finally finding water and camp on the Red Creek trail. We soaked our feet in the very cold water and ate dinner. In the middle of the night I awoke cold and checked the temp- 44 degrees! Wow, you guys called it; can't depend on weather forcasts for DS!

July 3- Recovery and waking was pretty slow in the morning and we really didn't start hiking until 10:30 or so. From looking at the maps we had we were thinking of heading up into the Roaring Plains area, but that idea was snuffed out when we looked at the elevation gain we would have. So we decided to take it easy and continued down the red creek trail stopping for an hour long lunch. We found camp right off the Red Creek trail on Little Stonecoal trail just before the stream crossing. At camp we were in complete chill mode and soaked in Red creek for about an hour before camp duties and dinner.

July 4- We awoke earlier than the previous day and headed over the creek and up Little Stonecoal to Dunkenbarger. Here we past the most beautiful stream I think I have ever seen. Its hard to describe but we sat mesmerized for about an hour. I will forever remember its beauty. We continued on to Big Stonecoal and around to Breathed Mtn trail. W followed this back down to red Creek trail and we camped at the same spot we had 2 nights previous. Again it was time for a nice calming soak in the creek before dinner duties.

July 5- We had only about 3 miles to hike back to the car, which we reached around 11:30. This was the hottest day and it quickly became humid. Back at the car we drove up to check out Bear Rocks, a great vista but was hazy. It wouyld have been a site to see had we gone there on Friday morning when we first arrived.

Summary- This was a great trip! From the vista and views to the weather and senery, to the wildlife (lots of deer out there, we saw some every day) this area cannot be beat for the drivetime from Columbus. The unique area that Dolly Sods holds is worth every effort to get there. Majority of trails we hiked we rocky, some to the point of being stupid rocky, but fun and enjoyable non the less. IO did however, manage to tweak both my ankles on this trip.
The crowds were there, it being a long holiday weekend, but it was not awful, and solitude was found for every camp and most of the time on the trails especially on July 4 up in the Dunkenbarger trail area.
As for personal stuff, my packed weighed 30 lbs headed out in the morning, everything including water, a little heavier than I would like but for a 4 day trip with my wife and friend, thats ok in my book. I hiked out with 2 cliff bars and a package of poptarts in leftover food. I used all the clothes I packed except 1 extra pair of socks that I probally would have used had the area not been so dry. It was a grat trip and the 3 of us will be back for sure!
Schnikel

Cookerhiker
07-09-2010, 16:39
Thanks for the report. Sounds like a real nice time. Now can see why DS is such a special place. It's certainly an effective way to escape the summer heat.

I checked the Davis weather a few days ago - when it was over 100 in Philadelphia, Davis was 84 with a night forecast in the mid-50s.

Next up - how about the Cranberry Glades Wilderness (http://fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsinternet/!ut/p/c4/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os3gDfxMDT8MwRydLA1cj72 BTJw8jAwjQL8h2VAQAzHJMsQ!!/?ss=110921&navtype=BROWSEBYSUBJECT&cid=FSE_003693&navid=100000000000000&pnavid=null&position=BROWSEBYSUBJECT&recid=9913&ttype=recarea&pname=Monongahela National Forest - Cranberry Glades Botanical Area) in the Fall?

Chester Copperpot
03-28-2011, 20:33
Ive got some time off in mid May, and I am very drawn to this rugged area. Do you guys think I should:

head to Dolly Sods (never been there) and leave the car parked with a cooler of sodas & beer, and just explore the whole area over four days/nights?

--OR--

head to the Mt Rodgers/Grayson Highlands area AKA "the magic place", leave the car with the cooler & beer, and spend the week soaking in the familiar beauty of an already, but well loved area?

Cookerhiker
03-28-2011, 20:52
Ive got some time off in mid May, and I am very drawn to this rugged area. Do you guys think I should:

head to Dolly Sods (never been there) and leave the car parked with a cooler of sodas & beer, and just explore the whole area over four days/nights?

--OR--

head to the Mt Rodgers/Grayson Highlands area AKA "the magic place", leave the car with the cooler & beer, and spend the week soaking in the familiar beauty of an already, but well loved area?

I'm a little unclear about your reference to the cooler and the car. Are you talking about base-camping and doing day hikes? If so, you can do this at Dolly Sods at the Forest Service campground but I recommend backpacking a night or 2 if you can. I think you'd enjoy a night in the back country.

Skyline
03-29-2011, 00:33

--OR--

I vote for Mt. Rogers/Grayson Highlands. Massie Gap or Grindstone Campground for basing out of to do dayhikes, or to park and go backpacking.

Chester Copperpot
03-29-2011, 19:46
Sorry for not being clear, gentlemen.

I will be doing back country camping each night, with daily breaks at the car (with the cooler) for ice cold libation and tasty snacks that all are welcome to enjoy.

Although I am consumed by the idea of the rugged and remote Dolly Sods as a place to explore, I feel drawn to the familiar landscape of the highlands. So, it looks like I will do what I did last year: park @ Massie Gap and hike most of the trails in the Mt Rodgers area. The only difference from the trip last year is knowing my way around better to combat the crowds (secret campsites, camping according to weather, etc) and be able to enjoy the beauty better (crowds depress me).

Leaving the Dolly Sods trip for later in the summer may play out well during a scorching-hot week in central VA, as I've heard it stays cool up there even in the worst summer weather.

Thanks for the info Cookerhiker & Skyline!!!

Cookerhiker: I will more than likely end up emailing you for finite information on accessing the Dolly Sods area--enjoy your spring hiking & biking!!!!

Cookerhiker
03-29-2011, 20:19
That's good reasoning on your part; you'd appreciate Dolly Sods in mid-summer when everywhere else is beastly hot.

I searched through the Monongahala NF website (http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsinternet/!ut/p/c4/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os3gDfxMDT8MwRydLA1cj72 BTSw8jAwjQL8h2VAQAng7kaQ!!/?ss=110921&navtype=BROWSEBYSUBJECT&navid=110390000000000&pnavid=null&recid=null&actid=null&groupid=null&ttype=activity&pname=Monongahela National Forest- Target Shooting) and it looks like the Forest Service now charges for the maps. Just a few years ago, I visited the HQ in Elkins and obtained a lot of maps gratis including a good color-coded contour map of Dolly Sods. I don't know if you can go to a district office in person but it's worth a try. You can also further peruse the website.

The guidebook series by Johnny Molloy (http://www.johnnymolloy.com/Books/books.htm) includes Day and Overnight Hikes in WV's Monongahela NF. It features some good writeups not just on DS but other places in the Mon as well. Cranberry Wilderness is another scenic high-elevation area in the Mon.

BJStuart
04-07-2011, 13:44
I searched through the Monongahala NF website (http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsinternet/%21ut/p/c4/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os3gDfxMDT8MwRydLA1cj72 BTSw8jAwjQL8h2VAQAng7kaQ%21%21/?ss=110921&navtype=BROWSEBYSUBJECT&navid=110390000000000&pnavid=null&recid=null&actid=null&groupid=null&ttype=activity&pname=Monongahela%20National%20Forest-%20Target%20Shooting) and it looks like the Forest Service now charges for the maps.

Try the WV Highlands Conservancy (http://www.wvhighlands.org/Pages/Maps_DSRP.html) - they have map sets to print. If you have a decent color printer you may find them good enough. That's what I did last time I was up there & they worked well enough for me.

If you go to http://store.usgs.gov you can also use their map locator to download maps; it's a bit fiddly, they come down as zip files with a pdf inside, but not too bad.