PDA

View Full Version : Need some help with a water filter

mdgamewarden
02-21-2010, 20:17
The other filter question "UV vs. FILTER vs. CHEMICAL (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=52833)" is way over my head. I spend my time hiking in MD, VA, PA, and ME. I try to run 3-4 day trips but looking forward to some 5-10 hikes in the near future. I have been looking at the Katadyn filters but with most of the water sources I am using flowing right out of the pipe I am not real sure if these will fly. I carry my water sometimes in a reservoir and sometime 2 or 3 bottles. I was thinking about the Katadyn Vario Microfilter. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Roche
02-21-2010, 20:40
After reading Ryan Jordan's Backpacking Light Lightweight Backpacking & Camping, I tried AquaMira (chemical). I no longer carry a filter. Read as much as you can, choose what your comfortable with.

gipcgirl
02-22-2010, 00:01
After reading Ryan Jordan's Backpacking Light Lightweight Backpacking & Camping, I tried AquaMira (chemical). I no longer carry a filter. Read as much as you can, choose what your comfortable with.

Most if not all I have read on this wb site when using aquamira you use the drops mixing a + b.
Does anyone use the tablets I would have thought it would be much easier just to drop a tablet into 1 litre of water rather than mess around with drops.

Is there a reason for this?

I had planned on using tablets and now I'm not sure.

Happy Hiker

Cool AT Breeze
02-22-2010, 00:05
Tabs take 4 hours to work, Drops only 15 min.

BrianLe
02-22-2010, 00:06
"Does anyone use the tablets I would have thought it would be much easier just to drop a tablet into 1 litre of water rather than mess around with drops.
Is there a reason for this?"

When I started with A.M. there were no tablets (by them), just drops, so "inertia" might be part of the answer. Cost is the reason I stick with the drops; price it out --- the tablets are substantially more expensive.

Finally, with the drops, I can adjust the amount based on how much water I want to treat --- for example, if 7 drops to a liter, then something like 5 drops for a 20-oz Gatorade container, , or 10 - 11 drops for a liter and a half, or whatever.

gipcgirl
02-22-2010, 00:56
When I started with A.M. there were no tablets (by them), just drops, so "inertia" might be part of the answer. Cost is the reason I stick with the drops; price it out --- the tablets are substantially more expensive.

Finally, with the drops, I can adjust the amount based on how much water I want to treat --- for example, if 7 drops to a liter, then something like 5 drops for a 20-oz Gatorade container, , or 10 - 11 drops for a liter and a half, or whatever.

Ok I get it now. Thanks
Happy Hiker