PDA

View Full Version : Long distance hiking and health.

MisterSweetie
09-28-2004, 11:31
Is there any data about what long distance hiking does to one's health? I am interested specifically in the health as it relates to cholesterol, blood pressure, etc. What would really interest me is data from someone who had their blood tested directly before their trip, and then tested after their hike.

If this has been covered please just point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

smokymtnsteve
09-28-2004, 12:27
PLEASE STAND FOR THE GOSPEL OF ABBEY!

"go out there and hunt and fish and mess around with your friends, ramble out yonder and explore the forests, encounter the grizz, climb the mountains, and bag the peaks.... and I promise you this much: I promise you this one sweet victory over your enemies, over those deskbound people with their hearts in a safe deposit box... I promise you this: you will outlive the bastards."
~
THANKS BE TO ABBEY!

Blue Jay
09-28-2004, 12:28
Is there any data about what long distance hiking does to one's health? I am interested specifically in the health as it relates to cholesterol, blood pressure, etc. What would really interest me is data from someone who had their blood tested directly before their trip, and then tested after their hike.

If this has been covered please just point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

I have taken blood pressure medication for a very long time. After a few weeks on the trail my pressure becomes so low on the medication that when I get up quickly I get light headed. I stop taking the medication and check my pressure at drug stores and it's fine. It slowly creeps back up when I go back to the money world. It has happened every time I'm out.

Another example of improved health is often I have to quit a job to go on the trail (not this year, yea). Pre employment tests that I have to get upon my return are always done at the same hospital, often with the same technician. After my thru, she tested me twice because she had never seen a vision and hearing test improve. My respiration test (VOmax) also improved. Our entire evolution consisted of us walking and looking, long distances and carrying weight. Now we don't, the money world dulls our senses and kills our health.

orangebug
09-28-2004, 12:56
As Blue Jay wrote, exercise has a tendency to improve most of the things that ail you.

However, there are folks who take the Big Face Plant (die) while on the trail.

Rather than ask a general question and hear all of the testimonials, I hope you have consulted with a real world doctor about your health and what concerns you should consider on your own personal walk.

Bill...

smokymtnsteve
09-28-2004, 13:09

"Those who fear death most are those who enjoy life least"

THANKS BE TO ABBEY!

MisterSweetie
09-28-2004, 13:27
As Blue Jay wrote, exercise has a tendency to improve most of the things that ail you.

However, there are folks who take the Big Face Plant (die) while on the trail.

Rather than ask a general question and hear all of the testimonials, I hope you have consulted with a real world doctor about your health and what concerns you should consider on your own personal walk.

Bill...

I don't have any specific health concerns. In fact, I'd venture that my health is excellent (cholesterol, etc). My main interest comes from the food that is commonly eaten on these hikes. Sure as far as calories go, there's nothing to worry about as far as getting too many. But for example, salt intake might be an interest, and trail foods are generally loaded with salt (noodle packs, beef jerky, etc). I know there are a hundred ways around this, but I am just curious about how these things affect the average hiker. I guess my biggest point is that I don't want to go to the trail with perfect health, then eat bad foods etc and shoot myself in the foot.

orangebug
09-28-2004, 13:54
You will need the salty food. I believe Julius Ceasar reported that Salt is more valuable than Gold for an army on the move. If you are making any sort of miles, your caloric consumption, loss of electrolytes and fluids are quite significant. The tougher job is how to reduce hiker hunger post hike. Some have speculated a number of causes for this, suspect that there is weight increase post hike and wonder if this sport is healthy at all.

In general, you get to follow the Amish Diet: eat anything you want, but use no labor saving technology. The Amish have far fewer obese people.

Bill...

oruoja
09-29-2004, 01:37
Barring any underlying medical conditions hiking definately is beneficial for those who have entered the elevated weight gain, blood pressure and cholesterol years. Not a bad idea to get pre and post checkups with a doctor who is knowledgable on undertaking a rigorous activity. A lot of our physical ailments are aggravated by stress, hence the many folks who relapse upon return. Hiking can cause or aggravate problems with joints and tendons, but there have been many posts by folks who have overcome or successfully manage those problems. There have been many studies and reports over the years that show the benefits of extended walking. Come to think of it, there have been lots of studies that show the detriments to health influenced by contemporary lifestyle and employment trends. One such report the other day on the news sites had to do with evidence on how suburban life is screwing up health. I guess all those commercials, especially financial services ones, showing all those smiling and happy folks really are bull---t.

Lugnut
09-29-2004, 02:02
[QUOTE=smokymtnsteve]PLEASE STAND FOR THE GOSPEL OF ABBEY!

"go out there and hunt and fish and mess around with your friends, ramble out yonder and explore the forests, encounter the grizz, climb the mountains, and bag the peaks.... and I promise you this much: I promise you this one sweet victory over your enemies, over those deskbound people with their hearts in a safe deposit box... I promise you this: you will outlive the bastards."

As espoused by a man who died at the early age of 62 of an esophogal hemmorage because he wouldn't listen to his Dr. You would be better off heeding Orangebug's advice and just for your own amazement read Abbey while you wait.

P.S. Don't get upset SMS, I'm not slamming your diety. :)

smokymtnsteve
09-29-2004, 08:33
As espoused by a man who died at the early age of 62 of an esophogal hemmorage because he wouldn't listen to his Dr. You would be better off heeding Orangebug's advice and just for your own amazement read Abbey while you wait.

P.S. Don't get upset SMS, I'm not slamming your diety. :)

"Those who fear death most are those who enjoy life least"

THANKS BE TO ABBEY!

but Abbey got out there and LIVED really LIVED,,,LIFE is not just measured in years but in quality of experience, and enjoyment, so Abbey did OUTLIVE the deskbound bastards cause Abbey LIVED,,, and he still lives in my heart, he is immortal.

THANKS BE TO ABBEY!