PDA

View Full Version : Yaktrax and snowshoes and poles - Oh, my!

shelterbuilder
02-21-2010, 22:08
As part of my duties as Shelters Chairman for BMECC, I have to make an "annual" inspection of each of our 5 shelters, so that I can make my "annual report" and also to be able to submit a budget request for the coming year (maintenence, repairs, etc). We don't normally get the amount of snow that we currently have on the ground, and when we do, it makes this part of my job a lot harder!

Today after work, I walked in to the Eagle's Nest Shelter - thank God it's only about 2 miles. Most of the way in was on a snowmobile trail on State Game Lands, so I wasn't slogging through 18 inches of snow for the entire distance. But I put on a new pair of Yaktrax Walkers and BOY! did they make a difference - almost no slipping and sliding around!:D Even with the snow, I made it to the turn-off for the shelter in about 1 1/2 hours (it's usually about 1 hour and 10 or 15 minutes for me, coming up the mountain from Shartlesville).

Then the real fun started - and I mean this seriously - snowshoeing in to the shelter. We don't usually get enough snow to justify using snowshoes, so it was a treat to get back on them, even if for only 1/4 mile in, around, and 1/4 mile back out. (I was surprised to find that there had been a group that had snow-camped overnight last night - from what I saw, these guys were used to doing this. AWAHP: too bad I missed you - we could have swapped some stories.)

On this trip, I added an old set of X-C ski poles to both sectons of the trek. I don't normally hike with treking poles, but after today, I might re-think that... lots of stability in the deeper snow, and more forward momentum on the compacted snowmobile trail.:-?

johnnyblisters
02-21-2010, 22:25
Wow sounds like fun, thanks for your hard work!