PDA

View Full Version : Rain Pants

El Jefe
02-21-2010, 23:39
I'm headed out for my next section hike the first week of May and need a good pair of rain pants. I do not use them in the summer but with the weather in early May in the NC mountains, I need to be prepared. That being said. I've looked at the PreCips, Campmor's Storm Sphere, and Cabelas goretex paclite. Anyone have experience good or bad with any of these? I've read a good many reviews for the precips equally good and bad. I am also open to any other suggestions you may have.

leaftye
02-21-2010, 23:50
I've found that I really don't like putting on overpants that don't have full side zips. Okay, I don't like putting on pants with side zips either, but at least I don't have to take off my footwear. Anyway, full side zips allow you to vent pretty well.

Wheeler
02-22-2010, 00:59
Depending on the temp, you might not need 'em while hiking. In fact, at that time you're bringing them for comfort, not necessity. That being said, they could help you out a bunch if it's snotty. Just get the most cost effective ones;you're not gonna rely on them, they're gonna help yer comfort level. It's only a section hike. Hell, we're all just section hikers,like it or not; you can always upgrade; you're not going to some inaccessible, unknown realm.

Rockhound
02-22-2010, 01:16
What he means to say is Frogtogs.

Rockhound
02-22-2010, 01:17
Give the extra $100 to charity

mweinstone
02-22-2010, 10:16
big john makes the best. he sold me a pair at the ruck for cheap. as good or better than the golite reed witch is the top pant for light.moonbow is is company. its just a hiker with a sewing problem. and hes my friend. call moonbow and order a pair of rush pants. he can save you money and have you in way cooler pants than any other. big jons whole line of silnon clothes and gear simply cannot be beat. and i think anyone who knows me knows ill spend any amount to be the lightest and coolest. and moonbow does it cheap. i love big john. and my new rainpants. they got that freash hippy feeling.

garlic08
02-22-2010, 10:28
I agree with cheap and light. No need for laminated Goretex at $100 plus for the AT in May. Main reason I carry mine (homemade silnylon) is for something to wear in the laundromat.

SmokeEater
02-22-2010, 12:01
I second the light weight frogtogg.

Hoop
02-22-2010, 12:15
Anti Gravity Gear carries rain pants, although they're not listed on their website. Black, side zip, very light.

Whiskyjo
02-22-2010, 12:37
Cabelas gore tex paclite jacket and pants is what I have been using. I bought them two years ago and have used them workng on the farm in crappy weather also and so far so good.

ChrisFol
02-22-2010, 13:24
I'm headed out for my next section hike the first week of May and need a good pair of rain pants. I do not use them in the summer but with the weather in early May in the NC mountains, I need to be prepared. That being said. I've looked at the PreCips, Campmor's Storm Sphere, and Cabelas goretex paclite. Anyone have experience good or bad with any of these? I've read a good many reviews for the precips equally good and bad. I am also open to any other suggestions you may have.

I have been using Golite's Reed rain pants for a long time with zero problems. The large with 6" ankle zips weigh in 5.8oz on my scale and they can often be found for under $40 if you shop around.

mweinstone
02-22-2010, 13:30
yes but the old style reed had no zips and is the lightest. thats why moonbow is cool cause he can make it the way you like.

Chummin' for Bear
02-22-2010, 22:51
Have you guys had good luck just wearing under armour running tights, or lightweight long underwear, with shorts over them? Seems they would get wet but should keep you warm and they would dry quickly. Thoughts?

I agree that Frogg Toggs are a good option.

JAK
02-23-2010, 00:50
What is a good weight to shoot for for wind pants or rain pants?
Also, how low should your rain jacket/cape/poncho go?

leaftye
02-23-2010, 01:43
For rain jacket I like to go to about the bottom of my crotch, mostly because crotch seams in any pants are a weak spot. I haven't used a poncho, but I'd want it to be as long as possible so it'd make for a better tarp shelter.

take-a-knee
02-23-2010, 11:25
For May in the south, consider a ULA rainskirt.

Colter
02-23-2010, 11:30
What is a good weight to shoot for for wind pants or rain pants?
Also, how low should your rain jacket/cape/poncho go?

I think rain jacket and rain pants should weigh less than 16 oz. each, ideally several ounces less each.

I like a rain jacket that will overlap my rain pants when bending over.

El Jefe
02-23-2010, 12:13
My only concern with a rain skirt or just a poncho is that being the beginning of May it could still be cold or we could get a freak snow storm. In my experience cold + wet= trouble.

Rockhound
02-23-2010, 12:22
It's the beginning of May in N.C.. Mountains or not I think you can put your hypothermia/frostbite concerns to rest. All you need is an outer shell. Poncho for a few bucks, Frog Toggs for a few bucks more or throw away $100 + on something that looks cool but does the same thing as the much cheaper alternatives.

BrianLe
02-23-2010, 12:28
There's a lot of variation in weight. In colder weather I carry rain chaps (http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/Spinn_Chaps.html) (put them on individually); the pair weigh 1.7 oz. In lieu of a rain jacket I use a poncho, typically when not using a Gatewood Cape (http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=45) (also serves as my tent) I go with an inexpensive Campmor poncho (http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___20256), my somewhat older version is I think a little shorter than what they sell now (?) and weighs 7.7 oz. So yes, I think a person can get well under 16 oz each (!).

I think the key issue with length of rain jacket or poncho is what rain gear you will normally wear (if any) on your legs. I personally don't often wear rain pants (or chaps) when walking. A belted poncho is like a rain jacket and rain skirt (http://www.ula-equipment.com/rainwrap.asp) in one unit. If my thighs stay dry, that's the biggest issue, and in most conditions rain pants (or even chaps) make me sweat to the point that I'm wet anyway. Really just in general if it's rainy out long enough and/or I'm perspiring much, I'm wet when on the trail no matter what I wear, so it's more a matter of temperature control than chasing the chimera of "staying dry".

Raingear for use "in camp" can add different factors/priorities in gear choice; talking about that inevitably gets into various "hiking style" issues, i.e., whether you hang around in camp a lot or just get into your shelter and sleep, that sort of thing.

tagg
02-23-2010, 16:17
Raingear for use "in camp" can add different factors/priorities in gear choice; talking about that inevitably gets into various "hiking style" issues, i.e., whether you hang around in camp a lot or just get into your shelter and sleep, that sort of thing.

walrus - this is a good point and exactly why i've decided to go with the pants and leave my poncho at home. we might have some cold nights the first week in may, so i'm taking the pants more for in camp than for hiking. i know that if a pair of rain pants had falled from the sky that night in october when we were freezing our butts off in the wind and snow on standing indian, we probably would have come to blows over who got to wear them.

El Jefe
02-23-2010, 19:21
i know that if a pair of rain pants had falled from the sky that night in october when we were freezing our butts off in the wind and snow on standing indian, we probably would have come to blows over who got to wear them.

I'd like to think we are good enough friends that we would have halved them and each got a leg. Then again it was cold. Maybe we wouldn't have. :)