PDA

View Full Version : Camping in the shenandoah

Ramblin' Randy
02-22-2010, 10:19
Does anyone know of any good campsites in the southern third or so of the shenandoah park? I've never previously hiked in the park. I'll stay in the shelters in need be, but I'd prefer to tent.

Skyline
02-22-2010, 10:44
Along the AT in Shenandoah you have to be creative, especially in the South District. If you are thinking of doing side trails, your campsite possibilities increase ten-fold.

If you get your backcountry permit at a Visitor Center, the staff there can show you a modified map for the area you are thinking of camping in. It won't pinpoint an exact campsite, but an area will be shaded where you can expect to find a place to make camp. It may be a previously used site, or you may have to use LNT techniques to create your own (and make it seem unused when you leave camp).

SNP does not circulate a detailed list of specific campsites because doing so could cause those to become overused and likely trashed. Instead, there are designated campsites not far from each overnight hut (shelter) along the AT in the Park. Those typically receive some maintenance each year courtesy of hut maintainers and/or Park staff.

If you use the services of Mountain & Valley Shuttle Service (1-877-789-3210, or www.MVshuttle.com (http://www.MVshuttle.com)), the drivers have trail-tested knowledge of specific campsites along the AT and elsewhere within SNP. Just ask the driver. Again, this information is not widely circulated for the same reason the Park itself does not publish it.

Besides, part of the fun of backpacking is discovery, right?

Blissful
02-22-2010, 14:38
The AT is a ridge walk, so to find campsites makes it tough as you usually have to descend from the trail. There are great sites though if you want to go off trail, like in the Big Run Wilderness, etc. Depends if you want to explore or stay strictly AT.

Alligator
02-22-2010, 16:43
There are tentsites at shelters in SNP. It's not like GSMNP where you have to sleep inside the shelter. The only time we slept in shelters while going through the park was when no other groups were at the shelter. I don't remember how many are at what sites though and whether some don't have tentsites.

Skyline
02-22-2010, 17:16
There are tentsites at shelters in SNP. It's not like GSMNP where you have to sleep inside the shelter. The only time we slept in shelters while going through the park was when no other groups were at the shelter. I don't remember how many are at what sites though and whether some don't have tentsites.

All of the overnight huts within SNP have at least a few designated tentsites. Some have as many as nine or ten.

Calf Mt. Hut, sometimes lumped with the others, does not have pre-hardened designated tentsites (it is technically outside SNP boundaries).

Blissful
02-22-2010, 19:10
All huts have tentsites. Some tentsites though leave much to be desired, IMO. Like Pinefield

Appalachian Tater
02-22-2010, 19:18
I confess to illicitly sleeping on the porches of a couple of locked cabins in SNP as they are usually near water and it was raining a lot which makes a tempting combination when dusk approaches. Some hikers even slept under picnic shelters to get out of the rain but they were too close to the road for me. There are also campgrounds for car campers with bathrooms and even showers and you can often find some stealthy places near those to camp.

Wherever you camp, be careful with your food bag because there are lots of unafraid, food & garbage hunting bears. The deer will walk right up and try to lick you.

flemdawg1
02-23-2010, 16:50
I had a great tent spot on the Big Run Portal Trail, about 1 mile South of the Rocky Mtn Run trail junction. Loads of other great tent spots to be found esp if you're willing to descend off the AT. Be prepared to Bear Bag your food, saw 9 bears the 3 days I was there.

Appalachian Tater
02-23-2010, 16:55
Be prepared to Bear Bag your food, saw 9 bears the 3 days I was there.Yes, that can't be emphasized enough. Normally I sleep with my food in my tent but not there. You would feel pretty bad if a bear had to be killed as a nuisance because you were careless.

Ramblin' Randy
02-23-2010, 17:22
[QUOTE][You would feel pretty bad if a bear had to be killed as a nuisance because you were careless./QUOTE]

That's certainly true. But I use bear canisters, so brother Bruin is pretty safe from me.

Appalachian Tater
02-23-2010, 18:53
That's certainly true. But I use bear canisters, so brother Bruin is pretty safe from me.Except when you smell like bacon!

Have fun, it really is beautiful there, the hiking is relatively easy, nice stonework, and great views.

Ramblin' Randy
02-23-2010, 19:43
[QUOTE=Appalachian Tater;976050]Except when you smell like bacon!/QUOTE]

LOL That's an outcome I will work hard to avoid.

Cookerhiker
06-29-2011, 19:48
Does anyone know of any good campsites in the southern third or so of the shenandoah park? I've never previously hiked in the park. I'll stay in the shelters in need be, but I'd prefer to tent.

I hiked about 20 miles in the South District last weekend and as others have said, it's difficult to find a campsite because the ridge is so narrow plus the understory is thick. I did come upon one existing site cleared off just south of the AT crossing of Ivy Creek a few miles north of Loft Mountain CG. It's too close to the trail to be legal (supposed to be 30 yards off) but it's obviously been used as a tent site. Ivy Creek is close enough to be your water source.

bigfootmarty
07-05-2011, 14:09
I have not done a through hike but do many weekends on and around the AT.The sites by huts are fun and useful but crowded- Ibackpack to get away...not anti-social just like quiet for 3-5 days.

Found that AT in SNP and tenting requires a careful plan to site good spots earlier in afternoon sometimes. but they appear.:)

F