PDA

View Full Version : Any One Hiking Yet?

HumanBN
02-22-2010, 11:26
Hello, I'm starting in about 3 weeks. Just wondering if anyone is already out there and what's like in the Mountains of the South.

Cedar Tree
02-22-2010, 11:39
Things hopefully will be very different in 3 weeks. I started Feb. 13th, the day after the first big snow that week and it was very difficult walking. I averaged about 7 miles for a full day of hiking. Snow was almost always 8-10 inches and some drifts would be thigh high on me. I got off at Unicoi gap on the 20th, to take care of some Packa business, and hopefully let things melt down some. I plan to return to the Trail at the end of the week.
Cedar Tree

Trailbender
02-22-2010, 13:07
I'll be hitting springer mid-march.

Chaco Taco
02-22-2010, 13:18
Its pretty tough going right now although the snow is rapidly melting. Blowdowns are a big concern here. Between Sams Gap and Big Bald, there are a lot of downed trees. We may have some more ice on the way this week. Just keep checking in. Look at the Carolina Mountain Club website for info in NC and TN. Most of the trail clubs are posting what conditions they have reported to them.

Blissful
02-22-2010, 14:33
We still have snow here which is unheard of. Even with 40s. And we're in the lowlands. very slow to melt. Huge water content.

sasquatch2014
02-22-2010, 14:34
There are a few folks who I have been following that are out there. Two of them I have hiked with and am hoping they are having a good time get some updates from time to time. You can check out Trail Journals or Trailphone.net as well for some of the folks out there and their reports.

A few that I have been watching are as far up as NOC and they said it has been tough going and conditions have been bad with a bunch of downed stuff. I am sure this will just get worse as they head into the higher stuff soon.

GeneralLee10
02-22-2010, 15:08
Blow Downs with rocks covered in Ice = not good

Bearpaw
02-22-2010, 23:36
Knee Deep is out there pluggin away. He may be at NOC by now. Of course, you can guess how he got his trail name. ;)

Ox97GaMe
02-23-2010, 00:29
I was on the trail in Georgia this past weekend. There is about 2 ft of snow at higher elevations on the N side of the mountains. South side of the mountains are melting pretty quickly. There has been enough foot traffic to create a nice trench in the snow. But, it is packed down, so the cold nights have turned it into really slick ice.

The GATC was out this past weekend clearing blow downs along the trail. Hogpen to Tray Mtn is clear as of Sat night.

The SMHC will be clearing blowdowns from NOC to Fontana on Mar 4/5/6 and through the park starting early April.

CMC and TEHCC have crews going out regularly between snowstorms to try to get their sections cleared.

I would say by mid March, most of the trail South of Damascus will be clear.

mweinstone
02-23-2010, 00:35
their are 238 people and dogs atempting thru hikes as of an hour ago.

Cool AT Breeze
02-23-2010, 00:38
We've had about 30 hikers regester in the store. I've seen about 3 dogs.

Praha4
02-23-2010, 01:40
Ox97: thanks for the trail report .... another reason to holdoff on starting till after mid-March. Another winter storm coming this week, hopefully not as bad as the last storm. We even got snow down here in Fla panhandle from that last storm

GeneralLee10
02-23-2010, 11:19
Weather

A thing no man can pick and chose what it will do. Why hide from it, and just go out and start your hike. No matter what, you are going to get some bad weather at some point when your outdoors.

Cool AT Breeze
02-23-2010, 14:33
Weather

A thing no man can pick and chose what it will do. Why hide from it, and just go out and start your hike. No matter what, you are going to get some bad weather at some point when your outdoors.
If you have the gear for it.

clodhopper
02-23-2010, 15:31
Weather

Generally agree with you in regards to rain, snow, and just being cold. Ice, on the other hand, can be pretty harrowing unless you have the right equipment.

I started hiking from Springer a couple of days after the big Super Bowl (in Atlanta)/Ice Storm in 2000 and it was treacherous. Bought some slip-on crampon shoes at Neels Gap but they didn’t last very long before the studs blew out. I spent an afternoon sliding down the hill around Blue Mountain Shelter and was lucky not to get badly hurt. Ended up with my pride as well as the back of my hiking pants ripped up (luckily I still got a hitch into Hiawassee – thank you Good Samaritan).

Went home for two weeks, let things warm up, and had a great time when I came back.

GeneralLee10
02-23-2010, 15:50
Safty first yes, and having the correct gear will allow that to happen. Don't be foolish like I can be.

Digger'02
02-23-2010, 16:46
I do not share my dear friend Ox's optimisim. I bet that the Smokies are still crowded with blowdowns untill the chainsaws get in there in April. But he is hell on earth with a cross cut I've heard....

With more snow to come who knows!

Ox97GaMe
02-23-2010, 18:01
Digger, That is why I said most. There will still be some big stuff that will require chainsaws, but most of the little stuff will be cleared from Springer to Davenport by then, if the snow stops. The only portion of that that I have not seen any updates on is the NOC club section. Im not seeing specifics about CMC and TEHCC, but I am seeing that crews are getting out there when they can and an extended effort is under way.

I dont know who gave you info about my cross-cut skills. Im not CS or CC certified yet. I am clearing blowdowns with my bowsaw and an axe. And that is fine for me right now. I dont really want to lug a chainsaw, gas, oil, chaps, hardhat, and steel toed boots up into the backcountry. lol

Tipi Walter
02-23-2010, 18:19
Weather

Total agreement. Who hasn't postholed in deep snow? You'll go slower and might not get your 25 miles a day, but at least you'll be out. Remember, the Blizzard of '93 hit on March 12-13. Plan for it, carry the right gear, and don't bug out.

If you have the gear for it.

And herein comes the challenge. Most backpackers don't want to carry the gear and the weight for deep winter treks. Why? Their fascination with light packs. And so they miss out on the best conditions for backpacking: 0F and blizzards with snow. Sure, anybody can traipse thru a flowery meadow in May, where's the throng during January and February?

xnav
02-24-2010, 10:37
I just atempted a hike from Hot Springs to Erwin. The trail was a little icy on the north side of mountains from Hot Springs to Allen Gap, but I got thru fine in one day without using any crampon devices. There were a few blow downs but no big hazards or obstacles. Someone had already cleared a lot of the little stuff. The worst icy section was right at Tanyard Gap going down the steps. I then was shuttled to Erwin and tried to go southbound. Everthing was fine until just north of Devils Creek Trail there were numerous large blowdowns that required leaving the trail in two seperate ravines. I made it to just below High Rocks and was hiking in about a foot of crusted snow. I finally gave up the next morning when I started toward Big Bald. I had no snowshoes and was tired of crawling up and down the mountains to get around blowdowns. I hiked back down to Spivey Gap and a was give a lift to Erwin by a wonderful lady. (P.S. I forgot to say it was raining) I lasted two days but could only say I enjoyed one. The folks at Hemlock Hollow were a great support base and I could not of asked for better service. I guess I'll try again in April.

sarge95
02-24-2010, 11:07
Hy 91 (Cross Mtn) had more than a foot of snow a week ago and a trail had not been broken across the Osborne Farm. There was so much snow I was unable to get into the Trailhead parking lot. A Southbounder reported last week there was 6 foot drifts in the highlands of the Roan and the Trail could not be found due to snow. Blowdowns have been cut on most of TEHCCs section. However we have had very high winds since then. There was l Northbounder at Kinkora this week.