PDA

View Full Version : Chameleon 3

LimpsAlong
02-22-2010, 11:29
The Merrill Chameleon III. Anyone tried them yet?

Even Flow
02-26-2010, 02:47
Lowa Renegade GTX, can't go wrong. Quick break-in time, waterproof & long tread life. One of the best on the market...

Class2010AT
03-13-2010, 01:42
I just got a pair and I like them better than the moabs I had before, there lighter and have alot more grip, very confortable. The laces that came with them were to short and had to be replaced. These wll be even better in the summer, lots of ventaltion. I wouldn't recommend wearing them if the temp was gonna be below 40.

wildkitty
12-31-2011, 05:41
if you mean the chameleon stretch they actually have speedlacing wich is one of the best features and the ankle is snug so be very carefull on sock type has to be a light sock the sole is vibram thats good will test out on 2 day camping trip this weekend

nitewalker
12-31-2011, 09:42
i have the stretch and the regular chameleons and love both of them. my first few times hiking in them made my feet a little sore[no blisters] but after geting use to them i love em...they are light, breathable and have lots of grip.. the stretch chameleons fast lacing can be replaced with regular laces for more support if you need to change em out..

fullcount
02-11-2012, 23:10
Here is my experience with the Merrell Chameleon Stretch. Bought these shoes in the Summer of 2011 and have used them as my daily walker with the intent on using them on my AT section hikes. First time out, I did the section between Loft Mountain SOBO to Turk Mtn. Beautiful experience. Second time out, went SOBO from Reeds Gap to Tye River. The last two miles coming off Three Ridges was a down hill rock field. Feet and ankles were like hamburger by the time I reached Harper's Creek Shelter.

The difference I found was the tread I was walking. I am 215 lbs and walk with a 35 lb pack. The section between Loft Mtn and Turk Gap is fairly level and only short sections of poor tread. The section off of Three Ridges was rocky and root bound. There are some that say a low top trail runner will ensure your feet will be conditioned and that you should not be stepping on stones with this type of shoe. Unfortunately, the AT does not always give you the option to pick where your foot will land.

Absolutely love my Chameleon Stretches and still my daily shoe, so I believe my investment will be useful for a long time. But at my age and weight, I am heading to a beefier shoe. Anyone had any experience with the Moab Wide Width? Does it have a full shank in the sole?

Badspeller
02-11-2012, 23:35
I have four pair of Merrill Chameleon III, I love them. I use the Ventilator for trails without rock, and I use Chameleon's for everything else. When I slip them off I always feel like I am taking my slippers off. Spring for 50 dollar Walmart orthtics and you will love them even more.

Ktaadn
04-05-2012, 13:22
I have a pair of Chameleon 3's Ventilators that I love and now I'm thinking about getting the Chameleon 4 Cyclone's. Anyone tried these yet?

Any good or bad experiences with the shock cord lacing system on Merrill's or any other shoes? Do they stay tight?

lush242000
04-05-2012, 18:54
They are great shoes. I went through a pair every six months due to the toe separating from the shoe. Then I got some shoe goo and I have had the same pair for over a year and a half.

fullcount
07-24-2012, 21:23
Update on Chameleon III

Okay, had these things for a full year now and here are my observations. Please keep in mind, these shoes are my daily walkers along with my primary backpacking shoe on the AT during section hikes. I have about 100 official miles on them.

Love the weight factor when hiking. There is a noticeable difference on the fatigue factor when wearing these versus a full boot.

Easy on and off. The speed laces are a plus in my opinion.

Dislikes:

Left shoe is starting to come apart at the big toe area. The stitching is coming loose as well as the front toe rubber wrap.

Once these shoes get wet....they stay wet. And you know what wet shoes mean - BLISTERS! (and of course....smell).

And like my previous post on the Feb review...no shank in the sole means you feel the rocks when coming down hill.

OVERALL Review - On a scale of 1 to 10 with ten being the best, this shoe rates a 6. Will I purchase another pair, probably not.

House of Payne
07-28-2012, 17:36
I'm currently working through a pair of Camelion 4's w/GT. This is sort of a trial and error period to find the shoe that will work best for my 2014 thru. So far, after a 100 mile break in, and a 20 mile whites trip this summer they have held up very well. I can't comment on wet conditions other than morning dew but overall the shoe has worked well for me. I also have thoughts on trying out the moab vent or the moab GT as another option but so far I'm happy.