PDA

View Full Version : Blowdowns, Widow Makers & Snow...

walkin_in_2010
02-22-2010, 17:44
Anyone else worried about the blowdowns, widow makers and snow? I'm not starting until April 1st, so hopefully the sun will help things melt by then but the blowdowns are still going to be a factor. I've been listening to ChefRich's trailphone journal and he called it quits because the trail is (in his words) impassable in some places.

I've worked was a wildland firefighter out here in CA. Wish I could carry my saw with me to clear some of the mess up ... but then I'd be a trail crew, not a thru hiker. It's easy to say that you're not going to let blowdowns stand in your way ... but that's easier said than done with a full pack on your back. I hope it's not as bad as ChefRich made it sound.

Thoughts?

ChinMusic
02-22-2010, 17:55
The effect of snow/ice weighing down vegetation and clogging the trail will end soon. The blowdowns are going to be a royal PITA for early thrus this year. It's gonna take clubs quite awhile to catch up.

Blissful
02-22-2010, 18:44
Its going to be hard going I'm sure. Something to take into consideration as you are out there. April 1st though is a good time to start weather-wise though you can get cold temps and snow still (we had snow on Easter).

ChinMusic
02-22-2010, 19:25
If this were my year for a thru, I would be heading out later than planned (late Feb) by a bit.

Ox97GaMe
02-23-2010, 00:47
You wont need to worry too much about blowdowns. The trail clubs are very good about getting out in Feb and Mar to get the trail ready for the big thru hiker push each year. The winter weather and the wet spring always results in trees and limbs coming down across the trail. This isnt anything unusual. The number of blow downs is greater than a normal year, but the clubs are putting plans in place to address it in a timely manner.

If anyone wants to help with this effort, please contact the hiking club to see when they will have crews out along the various sections and ask how you can assist. Even something as simple as being able to help shuttle crews from one road crossing to another can be a huge blessing to them.

Cabin Fever
02-23-2010, 09:54
One school of thought (this the way the power companies think) is that the snow and ice makes for less widow makers because it brings all of the loose and dead limbs out of the trees.

SawnieRobertson
02-23-2010, 10:52
Mother Nature is boss. She makes herself pretty clear. Those who choose to fight nature do not usually win. April 1 was at one time the accepted normal start date. I believe that we are being reminded why at this time. I dislike the idea that maintainers are being pushed to go out in such iffy conditions by the numbers of hikers who cannot wait until more favorable conditions are a reasonable hope. A few thru-ers who are clearly prepared is one thing. Having wannabes backed up, waiting in line to get going because they chose a certain start date months ago is a lot of pressure to put on volunteers who just like to help out. Finally, if those who push through do have problems that require or seem to require rescue, well, thanks a lot. I will say no more about that except that in some way all of us pay for your hubris.--Grumpily, Kinnickinic

Colter
02-23-2010, 10:57
I think you're wise starting April 1st, and that it should come as no surprise to be dealing with snow and blow-downs for those starting in winter.

By the time you start things should look a lot different. There's usually something though: bugs, rain, wind, humidity, heat, cold, steep mountains, mud, dirt. But the rain makes the sun feel better, the cold makes the heat more pleasant, and the hard work makes your camp time that much more enjoyable. It's all part of the experience.

If you're a firefighter in CA you are likely to have no trouble making it if you want to.

Snowleopard
02-23-2010, 15:34
One school of thought (this the way the power companies think) is that the snow and ice makes for less widow makers because it brings all of the loose and dead limbs out of the trees.
This wasn't at all my experience from last winter's ice storm here. There are still many broken trees in the woods around here ready to fall. The trail maintainers on the AT in MA did a great job of clearing the trails; I'd still be careful of what's above you off the trail from CT through VT. Down south I'd be very careful of what's above you through the summer, especially camping off trail.

Some of the pictures I've seen of the AT down south show some really hard conditions.

dgaf169
02-23-2010, 16:44
Started my thru of feb 15. The snowdrifts are over 3 feet in places, blowdowns havnt been too bad but in areas with mountain laurel and rodedendrum(I'm sure I spelled that wrong) there have been times where I am literally crawling on my hands and knees. Tray mtn was horrible with the laurel! Not to mention the cold last tues the high was 19 low 14 with 20 or 3. MPH winds making for subzero windchills. All that being said I am having a great time! The going has been slow but I will be in NC tommorow. Best of luck to everyone starting early...be ready for cold, windy, and wet days!

ATsawyer
02-23-2010, 17:34
The snow is so deep in Shenandoah that I may have hiked over dozens of blowdowns last weekend and never known it. It's not often I've snowshoed past white blazes at foot-level. Trail crews WILL be delayed in getting out this year.

Cosmo
02-24-2010, 19:20
This wasn't at all my experience from last winter's ice storm here. There are still many broken trees in the woods around here ready to fall. The trail maintainers on the AT in MA did a great job of clearing the trails; I'd still be careful of what's above you off the trail from CT through VT. Down south I'd be very careful of what's above you through the summer, especially camping off trail.

Some of the pictures I've seen of the AT down south show some really hard conditions.

They're still up there, but I would not hike looking over your head. Too easy to fall and hurt yourself. Chances of one of those things hitting a moving target are pretty slim. I would however, definitely check above where I was planning on sleeping at night.

Cosmo

AUhiker90
02-25-2010, 16:59
I cant wait to get out there. This will weed out some hikers early on.