PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone reccomend a headlamp well suited to night hiking?

Lerenke
02-22-2010, 18:27
Weight, battery life, price, ruggedness and an around camp setting are things I would value.

Thanks.

Snowleopard
02-22-2010, 18:46
I like the Petzl Tikka XP (new version XP2 is 3.1 oz with 3xAAA batteries) and the Petzl Myo XP (6.2 oz with 3xAA batteries, there's a better new version called the RXP). What I like about these is the sliding diffuser. If you're in camp, reading etc, use the diffuser and get a broad beam; if you're on the trail and need to see further don't use the diffuser.

Other standards are Black Diamond EOS and Princeton Apex.

Cool AT Breeze
02-22-2010, 18:57
I like the Princton Tec Eos. It has a focused beam with an LED.

Powder River
02-22-2010, 19:06
Second the Eos. I have the Eos Tactical, which has a flip down red lens. VERY bright beam for 3.7 oz.

Hokie
02-22-2010, 19:20
I'll second the Petzl Tikka XP (new version XP2) because its battery life is longer and when you get to camp, it has a red light so you do not have to shine your bright light in everyone's eyes. WIll be appreciated around shelters. It does not however have as narrow a beam as the Eos that projects as far down the trail, but it is enough and doubles for camp use more effectively IMO. Have fun.

Panzer1
02-22-2010, 19:24
Why do you want to hike at night. :confused:

Panzer

Not Sunshine
02-22-2010, 19:41
I have an excellent headlamp for the night. i got it for like $7 at walmart, of all places...and it uses just 2 6v batteries (the nickel-sized ones). has 4 little light bulbs - brighter than everyone else's headlamps i've hiked with - which is only inhibiting when hiking in fog. and hiking solo, at night, in fog, is just kind of creepy. HAVE FUN! :D

Skidsteer
02-22-2010, 20:17

Panzer

Sunscreen is heavier than batteries.

Mountain Wildman
02-22-2010, 20:20
I have been considering the Mammut Lucido X Zoom.
Not the lightest, 6.9 ounces, or the brightest, 80 Lumens at 120 meters.
But 300 hour max battery life sounds pretty good.

Lerenke
02-22-2010, 22:38

Panzer

Because the days are short in winter and I enjoy my sleep.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Frosty
02-22-2010, 22:55
Weight, battery life, price, ruggedness and an around camp setting are things I would value.

Thanks.
Weight, Price, Ruggedness

Pick any two

(If it's light and cheap, it ain't rugged,
If it's light and rugged, it ain't cheap, and
If it's cheap and rugged, it ain't light.)

take-a-knee
02-22-2010, 23:01

Pick any two

Right, cause the Surefire St Minimus is the best headlamp there is, and it'll set you back $120.

DAJA
02-22-2010, 23:09
My prefered lamp is the princeton fuel... Weight's 2.8 oz, has plenty of light for camp chores, reading, etc. I use it all the time doing night hikes, with no difficulty.. Uses 3 AAAs and lasts as long as any other..

Very comfortable and has held up well in conditions ranging from sub freezing temps and snow to rain and even a couple full submersions when dumping the kayak or canoe...

I've seen it several times on steep and cheap the last week or so for around $12.00.. If you don't think it will be bright enough, get two and wear them both... It would still be under 6 oz...

Slo-go'en
02-22-2010, 23:14
I really like the super bright Green LED headlamp I made. Now with four power setting. It is a little clunky, with 4 AAA batteries and current regulator in an Altoids tin at the end of a 4 foot wire, but it's great in the snow at night. Too bad you can't buy one ready made.

Mountain Wildman
02-22-2010, 23:23
Right, cause the Surefire St Minimus is the best headlamp there is, and it'll set you back $120.

I never heard of the st minimus until now.
Why is it the best?

Bearpaw
02-22-2010, 23:27
Princeton Tec EOS all the way.

ARambler
02-22-2010, 23:49
I never heard of the st minimus until now.
Why is it the best?
It is rated at 1.5 hour on maximum brightness:rolleyes:

I use the Black Diamond Spot, Slightly lighter than the EOS, which I also like.

Rambler

mweinstone
02-22-2010, 23:55
black diamond cannot be toyed with. why have you upset my emporer? now, you must die.my bd iq has a finder light that does not reduce battery life even after 5 years of blinking. and it flashes in all of its more than a few modes and its brighter and lighter. this bitch aint playin. hikhas? im about my buissness.

take-a-knee
02-23-2010, 00:55
It is rated at 1.5 hour on maximum brightness:rolleyes:

I use the Black Diamond Spot, Slightly lighter than the EOS, which I also like.

Rambler

Unless you are looking WAAAY ahead to see if you're getting "cliffed out" or raiding a crackhouse, you'll never need max brightness. You set it on EXACTLY the brightness you need for the task at hand.

verber
02-23-2010, 01:19
If it had to be a headlamp than either a PrincetonTec EOSR or the Fenix HL20. I normally use a traditional flashlight. If I am doing a lot of night hiking I tend to bring a Fenix L1D... small amount I use an iTP A3 EOS Upgraded, $20 for a high efficiency AAA flashlight with good regulation and a nice range of brightness settings (1.5 for 50h, 18 for 4h, 80 for 55min). More thoughts on my recommended lights (http://www.verber.com/mark/outdoors/gear/misc.html#flashlights) page.

One thing that needs special note is regulation. There are three ways to power an LED. The first is unregulated. This is basically a battery connected directly to the LED. Compared to the brightness with fully charged batteries, unregulated lights tends to fall off quickly. Often to 60% of the initial brightness within the first 30 minutes of use. Once it's taken the major drop, the brightness of the light falls off linearly. Next is basic resistance regulation. These lights limit the amount of current that flows, prolonging the time it runs at a reasonably high level by limiting the maximum brightness with new batteries. Finally, there is full regulation, sometimes called boast regulation which requires more complex circuitry. A good quality boast regulator can keep a light running at near the initial brightness for nearly the entire run time of the light, falling suddenly to say 10% output for the last few minutes of the batteries life. As a result, unregulated lights will often to claim many hours on "high", but the reality is that the output is only "high" for the first 30-60 minutes, and then it's more like the "medium" on a more regulated light. This means you should not compare claims of runtime between regulated and unregulated lights. The best way to compare the real performance is look at runtime graphs which plot output against time.

If a flashlight talks about running on high for 10s if not 100s of hours on a few AA or AAA batteries, then it's likely not a regulated light.

--mark

Wags
02-23-2010, 01:31
good info here:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=4284

Mountain Wildman
02-23-2010, 01:44
If it had to be a headlamp than either a PrincetonTec EOSR or the Fenix HL20. I normally use a traditional flashlight. If I am doing a lot of night hiking I tend to bring a Fenix L1D... small amount I use an iTP A3 EOS Upgraded, $20 for a high efficiency AAA flashlight with good regulation and a nice range of brightness settings (1.5 for 50h, 18 for 4h, 80 for 55min). More thoughts on my recommended lights (http://www.verber.com/mark/outdoors/gear/misc.html#flashlights) page.

One thing that needs special note is regulation. There are three ways to power an LED. The first is unregulated. This is basically a battery connected directly to the LED. Compared to the brightness with fully charged batteries, unregulated lights tends to fall off quickly. Often to 60% of the initial brightness within the first 30 minutes of use. Once it's taken the major drop, the brightness of the light falls off linearly. Next is basic resistance regulation. These lights limit the amount of current that flows, prolonging the time it runs at a reasonably high level by limiting the maximum brightness with new batteries. Finally, there is full regulation, sometimes called boast regulation which requires more complex circuitry. A good quality boast regulator can keep a light running at near the initial brightness for nearly the entire run time of the light, falling suddenly to say 10% output for the last few minutes of the batteries life. As a result, unregulated lights will often to claim many hours on "high", but the reality is that the output is only "high" for the first 30-60 minutes, and then it's more like the "medium" on a more regulated light. This means you should not compare claims of runtime between regulated and unregulated lights. The best way to compare the real performance is look at runtime graphs which plot output against time.

If a flashlight talks about running on high for 10s if not 100s of hours on a few AA or AAA batteries, then it's likely not a regulated light.

--mark

I was looking at the Fenix HL20 before I read your post.
At 105 lumens with one AA battery, And it is regulated.
56 hours on low, might be a good compromise between power and run time. And best of all it weighs 1.76 ounces. The Princeton Tec Apex is more powerful but weighs 10 ounces. Over 1/2 pound sitting on my head.

leaftye
02-23-2010, 02:22
I got the Fenix HP10. Definitely not a lightweight at 4.13 ounces, but it is rugged and BRIGHT. I don't know why people make a big deal about how long a light lasts on its highest setting. That doesn't matter one iotta. What does matter is how long it lasts at varying levels of output. At the lowest setting my headlamp lasts for a couple hundred hours, which is enough for setting up camp and most night hiking. The second setting has been good enough for everything else so far.

Lerenke
02-23-2010, 10:46

Pick any two

Good point, though I never said I expect all those attributes in the product I was looking for; I would just value them.

I wanted to give people an idea of what I am after, even though everyone wants all their gear to have those three nearly simultainiously-impossible attributes. But a few peices of gear probably do have all three, especially if you can get it on sale!

Also forgot to metion, and thanks for clarifying, my list of things I seek are in a somewhat order of preference.

Lerenke
02-23-2010, 10:53
My prefered lamp is the princeton fuel... Weight's 2.8 oz, has plenty of light for camp chores, reading, etc. I use it all the time doing night hikes, with no difficulty.. Uses 3 AAAs and lasts as long as any other...I've seen it several times on steep and cheap the last week or so for around $12.00.. If you don't think it will be bright enough, get two and wear them both... It would still be under 6 oz...

DAJA your a smart guy, I've been reading you post for a while and this one made me think.

Do two adjacent light sources combine their out-put or just work on their own?

Sorry for going off topic there, though I did start this tread.

Lerenke
02-23-2010, 11:02
Just so eveyone knows I am looking at a Petlz MYO.

Apparently you can program the settings and I would find that very useful. Tent reading, camp set-up, and full blown night hiking are three settings I would love to have effectively set up.

All headlamps I've owned the settings were so similar as to almost be pointless.

Snowleopard
02-23-2010, 15:23
If you are really doing night hiking as opposed to camp chores at night, it's a real good idea to have a backup light. In summer, this could be as simple as a coin cell squeeze light like this: http://www.lighthound.com/Lighthound-Keychain-Flashlight-Blue-Body-White-LED_p_968.html

In winter or in potentially hazardous terrain, something more reliable would be good. For winter in New England where you are likely to hike out in the dark, I'd probably bring a good AA headlamp (e.g. Petzl Myp XP) with a AAA headlamp for backup (Tikka XP).

PS Apologies to Princetontec who make the EOS, not made by Black Diamond.

Yukon
02-23-2010, 15:47
Buy the Black Diamond Spot, don't bother looking at anything else...

ragincajun
04-24-2010, 16:08
I have an excellent headlamp for the night. i got it for like $7 at walmart, of all places...and it uses just 2 6v batteries (the nickel-sized ones). has 4 little light bulbs - brighter than everyone else's headlamps i've hiked with - which is only inhibiting when hiking in fog. and hiking solo, at night, in fog, is just kind of creepy. HAVE FUN! :D
best light for you would be an under cap light for your sexy trucker hat i got one fits under bill of my sexy saints hat clips under the bill the bill keeps it dry and has 3 modes its super cool you can get them at any decent camping store, good for night hiking NOBODY LIKES TO DO IT IN TOTAL DARKNESS....thats what she said

Ruby01
05-06-2010, 04:17
I have a petzl, and one from sourcingmap where you will find tons of camping headlamps (http://www.sourcingmap.com/headlamp-c-1137_1336.html). i use them and like them both. i've used outdoors after dark lotsa times and they great!! The petzl headlamp is on sale right now at backcountry.

http://www.backcountry.com/outdoorgear/Petzl-DUO-LED-5-Headlamp/PTZ0054M.html?CMP_ID=SH_FRO001&CMP_SKU=PTZ0185&mv_pc=r126

Checkout the information at the above link.

Crazy_Al
05-07-2010, 18:24
You should not hike at night. Sleep at night, hike during daylight.

warraghiyagey
05-07-2010, 18:26
http://sanmateocoastnha.org/photos/Pigeon-Point.jpg

psyculman
05-08-2010, 07:00
Eveready 6 LED $15 anywhere.
http://www.energizer.com/products/flashlights/outdoor-lights/Pages/batteries-lantern-headlamp.aspx
I use one for night cycling, lots of light, battery life, 4 modes inc. a red. Small, light weight.

kayak karl
05-08-2010, 07:34

Thanks.
i've used this one for 3 years. http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Lighting/Headlamps%20-%20LED/Underwater%20Kinetics%20Vizion/Test%20Report%20by%20Larry%20Kirschner/ bought it for kayaking. it was recomended to me by a friend that's a pole climber for electric co. it doesn't have all the diff settings, but atleast you don't have to click thru 6 settings to get to red. have used on many night hikes.

good read http://hikinghq.net/night_hiking.html

WalksInDark
07-17-2010, 23:04
First my headlight favorite based on price/value Petzl Tactikka Plus, 3 ozs of weight 4 LEDS max output 35 lumens, max beam high 32 meters/96', low 15 meters/45'. Three brightness levels, flood plus strobe. Battery life high 100 hours/low 150 hours. Plus it has a red filter which I highly recommend if you want to: see any game on the trail at night; keep your night vision sharp; be able to talk to fellow hikers or shelter companions without blinding them.

Last, for the person who asked why carry a headlight: sooner or later most outdoors people end up working/setting up camp/traveling in the dark. Your other options are pretty much to carry a heavy lantern that you can hang up or down somewhere; or to put a flashlight between your teeth (you have not lived until you put a metal flashlight in your mouth in subfreezing weather....or tripped over a rock under the same conditions).

Lastly, some of us enjoy hiking and back packing in the dark...it allows us to travel earlier in the day (cooler in summer), or later in the day (some of us are working class dogs); and allows us to enjoy the animals who are on and around the trails at night....without scaring them away.

Feral Bill
07-18-2010, 00:30
Unless you are looking WAAAY ahead to see if you're getting "cliffed out" or raiding a crackhouse, you'll never need max brightness. You set it on EXACTLY the brightness you need for the task at hand.

Second that. I'll be field testing my Spot shortly. I do not expect to use the brightest setting, except to play with it.

JAK
07-18-2010, 06:48

PanzerI often hike without a light, other than a candle or candle lantern which is enough light for setting up camp and camping but not really enough for hiking. The only reason I think about carrying a flashlight or headlamp is for if I get stuck on a section of the trail I don't really want to stop and camp at. Still, it is nice to try and get by without a headlamp. You have to be more careful and think ahead more but it can be done.

Edvvard
08-06-2010, 23:35
My prefered lamp is the princeton fuel... Weight's 2.8 oz, has plenty of light for camp chores, reading, etc. I use it all the time doing night hikes, with no difficulty.. Uses 3 AAAs and lasts as long as any other..

Very comfortable and has held up well in conditions ranging from sub freezing temps and snow to rain and even a couple full submersions when dumping the kayak or canoe...

I've seen it several times on steep and cheap the last week or so for around $12.00.. If you don't think it will be bright enough, get two and wear them both... It would still be under 6 oz...

haha

from me, i suggest Fuel as well.

karo
08-07-2010, 11:49
Another vote for the Petzel Tactikka XP. If your are hiking at night and you want to trust your headlamp, go for the best IMHO.

verber
08-07-2010, 11:55
Zebralight who has been known for the excellent floody headlights has recently released the H31 and the H51 which have gotten rave reviews from people who have them. The H31 using 123 batteries and is availible today. The H51 is the same light running in AA which has been released, but is on back order.

--Mark

leaftye
08-09-2010, 23:02
The H51 may be enough for it to replace my HP10 on most trips.

leaftye
08-09-2010, 23:03
You should not hike at night. Sleep at night, hike during daylight.

That's a lot easier to practice when there are more hours of daylight than darkness. It's not so easy when sleeping at night means sleeping for 13 hours.

johnnybgood
08-17-2010, 21:35
Princeton EOS Headlamp 2009 closeout is on sale for 29.93 at REI-OUTLET.com.
You can save an additional 20% if you're a member.

Final cost $25.13 ,,tax incl.

Snatched up a pair - thought I'd pass along the info.

Trisha
08-20-2010, 13:54
We have a couple of the Wal-Mart Energizer headlamps, under $20.
I normally use the red light setting for spotlighting animal eyes and keeping night vision.
The single red lamp style has a sliding on-off switch, which may come on by accident (after several years mine hasn't but it's a possibility.) The dual red lamps style is brighter, bulkier, and has a recessed push button switch. Both use triple-A batteries and you will need a coin to open the back.