PDA

View Full Version : Headlamps-Help!!

Mountain Wildman
02-23-2010, 13:01
I thought I had settled on a Headlamp, The Mammut Lucido X Zoom, and then I read the recent postings.
These are the four I have narrowed it down to.

Princeton Tec Apex Headlamp

Mammut Lucido X-Zoom Headlamp

FENIX 105 LUMENS WATERPROOF LED HEADLAMP HL20

Black Diamond Icon Headlamp

What do you think?

Thanks for any suggestions!

leaftye
02-23-2010, 13:39
It sounds like you want us to say to get a Fenix. I have a Fenix headlamp, a HP10, so I'll go ahead and say to get the Fenix.

climber2377
02-23-2010, 13:51
i would consider the weight, battery life and cost. also is this your only light?

Mountain Wildman
02-23-2010, 14:04
I cut and pasted the Fenix info, Didn't realize it was in capitals.

I will also carry my Fenix LD20 AA Flashlight as back up.

Mountain Wildman
02-23-2010, 14:10
I was looking at the Fenix HP10 also but read a bad review on it.
At 225 lumens it looks like the brightest headlamp available.

Rockhound
02-23-2010, 14:17
Unless you plan on doing quite a bit of night hiking Don't spend more than $20 or $30. I know headlamps can cost up to $150 and more but why throw a ton of money away on something that you are basically only going to use to find your way back to the tent after a midnight piss?

Jester2000
02-23-2010, 14:28
What do you plan on needing your headlamp for? Intended use will be the most important factor.

Mountain Wildman
02-23-2010, 14:29
Unless you plan on doing quite a bit of night hiking Don't spend more than $20 or $30. I know headlamps can cost up to $150 and more but why throw a ton of money away on something that you are basically only going to use to find your way back to the tent after a midnight piss?

That's a good point, I have only done short day hikes and was not sure if I would end up having to hike in the dark on a Thru-Hike. I figured if that happened just once it would be worth it to have a good, bright headlamp, I figure in camp I would probably keep it on low. I have never used a headlamp in all my years of camping, Just a "D" cell maglite. I have 95% of my Thru-Hike gear so cost is not much of an issue, Although I saw a headlamp on line for 198.00 dollars which is definitely more than I would like to spend.

leaftye
02-23-2010, 14:34
I figured if that happened just once it would be worth it to have a good, bright headlamp, I figure in camp I would probably keep it on low.

That's what I was thinking too. I already have one long night hike planned. I also plan to start hiking before the sun starts to come up. In camp my light is always on the lowest setting, which is actually a bit brighter than I'd prefer, especially for reading. I think the only time I really turn it up brighter is when I'm night hiking and trying to find blazes. The PCT blazes I've seen are all reflective, and the headlamp makes them super easy to find. It's almost easier to find a snow covered trail at by hiking at night with a headlamp!

What did the bad review say?

Mountain Wildman
02-23-2010, 14:38
That's what I was thinking too. I already have one long night hike planned. I also plan to start hiking before the sun starts to come up. In camp my light is always on the lowest setting, which is actually a bit brighter than I'd prefer, especially for reading. I think the only time I really turn it up brighter is when I'm night hiking and trying to find blazes. The PCT blazes I've seen are all reflective, and the headlamp makes them super easy to find. It's almost easier to find a snow covered trail at by hiking at night with a headlamp!

What did the bad review say?

S.
from PDX gives it a 2 and says..
Fairly disappointed. I collect flashlights and headlamps and I love Fenix lights! When I heard they were making a headlamp I couldn’t wait. Too bad this seems like they rushed it out the doors. I have never bought a headlamp that does not come with the head straps attached (whole point of having a headlamp). Once I got them on I Realized that it is very tight on my big head and does not feel good at all. I like the design of the battery compartment but it seems very flimsy. The head of the unit is the only thing that feels like a fenix but not the head housing, it feels cheap and the buttons seem like they will stop working in about a month. The biggest downfall in my opinion is the fact that you can barely adjust the angle of the headlamp! Unlike my Princeton Tec Apex headlamp this one uses a cheap ribbed plastic piece that clicks from notch to notch but It is very hard to move even with two hands and it pokes me in the forehead when I do so. Good lighting levels and I love the strobe on this light but this will be a lemon to my collection and I feel this will not stand the test of time.

leaftye
02-23-2010, 16:59
Sounds like serious nitpicking by a hardcore whiner. Come on, complaining about straps not being attached from the factory?? If you're the kind of person that has that kind of issue with putting on straps, then of course you'll be the kind of person that goes crying about notches poking holes in your head. Now if you're the kind of person that can shave with a safety razor while using shaving cream all by yourself and without tears, then you're probably smart and tough enough to get along well with the HP10.

climber2377
02-23-2010, 17:14
i know it s not one of your choices but i purchased a petzl e + http://www.petzl.com/en/outdoor/signal-and-elite/elite

Mountain Wildman
02-23-2010, 17:28
Sounds like serious nitpicking by a hardcore whiner. Come on, complaining about straps not being attached from the factory?? If you're the kind of person that has that kind of issue with putting on straps, then of course you'll be the kind of person that goes crying about notches poking holes in your head. Now if you're the kind of person that can shave with a safety razor while using shaving cream all by yourself and without tears, then you're probably smart and tough enough to get along well with the HP10.

I thought the same thing when I read that review, Big deal, You have to attach the straps. The other issues he mentions made me think twice. I don't mind paying for a product that is durable and reliable. I determine the value of an item by how long it will last. If you pay 500.00 bucks for something and it lasts 30 years, It basically cost 16.00 dollars per year.

freefall
02-23-2010, 17:30
While I haven't used any of the models you have listed, I have to give a nod to Black Diamond.

I have a BD Gizmo. Its a simple 3 LED lamp and does a wonderful job. I've had the same one for 3 1/2 years now and it is still going strong. The only trouble I had was recently it would cut out if jostled roughly but I figured out a contact had been bent. Once I fixed that, it worked as good as new. Great battery life even in cold weather.

It probably has over 600 miles of trail on it plus countless hours working in and around the house.

Mountain Wildman
02-23-2010, 17:32
i know it s not one of your choices but i purchased a petzl e + http://www.petzl.com/en/outdoor/signal-and-elite/elite

I have seen a lot of these posted under gear on Trail Journals.Com.
1 ounce. How can you go wrong. It is a consideration but 16 lumens is not very bright compared to others like the Princeton Tec Apex at 130 lumens.
It looks like it would be perfect for reading in the tent or shelter.

Mountain Wildman
02-23-2010, 17:37
While I haven't used any of the models you have listed, I have to give a nod to Black Diamond.

I have a BD Gizmo. Its a simple 3 LED lamp and does a wonderful job. I've had the same one for 3 1/2 years now and it is still going strong. The only trouble I had was recently it would cut out if jostled roughly but I figured out a contact had been bent. Once I fixed that, it worked as good as new. Great battery life even in cold weather.

It probably has over 600 miles of trail on it plus countless hours working in and around the house.

So many choices, I may just have to write them all down on slips of paper, mix them up in a hat and pick the lucky Headlamp.

verber
02-23-2010, 17:39
I can understand someone used to Fenix flashlight might be disappointed with the HL20... I know I was. Fenix flashlights are superbly crafted. The headlamp didn't feel that way. The tilt adjustment is not as smooth as a number of headlamps I have used. The plate the headband connects into is large enough that it doesn't sit evenly against my forehead. That said, I think it's still one of the best headlamps on the market.

Unfortunately, headlamps seem to lag handhelds when it comes to quality and embracing updated technology.

With night hiking... there is a tendency to go for overkill. Really bright lights. I would encourage you to experiment with night hiking. I found on clear nights with even a 1/4 moon, it was easier to follow a trails like the PCT and AT using adjusted eyes / sky's light than with light. Alas remember that it's easy to gauge the trail with the light coming from a different angle that your eyes to shadows are produced. Light coming from around your waist works well. Hense, I tend to use a hand light for night hiking.

--Mark

Captain
02-23-2010, 17:43
http://www.amazon.com/Energizer-HD33A1EN-3-LED-Headlight/dp/B00081GATG/ref=pd_bxgy_sg_img_b

you wont be sorry..i love this thing it has seen snow and heat and damp and just downright unpleasant.... has 4 settings two red leds...two low white leds .. two medium white leds... and the last setting which is the low and the medium white leds together for a " high" setting, takes 3 triple A batteries which LAST ive had this lamp for 2 years and i dont once remember replacing the batteries..im sure i have a few times but thats the point.. its not like other headlamps where it seems like you have to change them every week

Captain
02-23-2010, 17:45
http://www.amazon.com/Energizer-LED-Headlight-Bright-Lights/dp/B000BQOVLW/ref=pd_bxgy_hi_img_b

my bad linked the wrong lamp, they make two kinds , i bought mine in the checkout lane of a walmart

leaftye
02-23-2010, 19:54
I thought the same thing when I read that review, Big deal, You have to attach the straps. The other issues he mentions made me think twice. I don't mind paying for a product that is durable and reliable. I determine the value of an item by how long it will last. If you pay 500.00 bucks for something and it lasts 30 years, It basically cost 16.00 dollars per year.

The plastic feels plenty strong to me, as well as the hinge, otherwise I wouldn't risk going to sleep with it on. If it's not on my head when I go to sleep, it's in the head section of my mummy where I'm prone to roll over it. Again, I wouldn't do this if I didn't think it'd easily survive. Of course it's still a new headlamp, so I can't tell you that this will last forever. Fwiw, I'm doing at least a section hike starting this weekend, and I'll be treating the headlamp the same way.

Anyway, if you're seriously considering the HP10, I'd be happy to take some macro pictures and email them to you, just let me know. Pictures may not tell the full story with the hinge assembly, but I can tell you that tilting it down is a simple matter of pinching the space between the light and the bracket.

I can understand someone used to Fenix flashlight might be disappointed with the HL20... I know I was. Fenix flashlights are superbly crafted. The headlamp didn't feel that way. The tilt adjustment is not as smooth as a number of headlamps I have used. The plate the headband connects into is large enough that it doesn't sit evenly against my forehead. That said, I think it's still one of the best headlamps on the market.

Just in case there's any confusion, I was talking about the HP10 which has 4 AA batteries, not the HL20 which only has one battery. I'd expect the HP20 to feel a little different from the usual Fenix product since this thing veers towards being ultralight, but since I've never seen or touched one, that's just a guess.

Mountain Wildman
02-23-2010, 20:10
Yeah, I was considering the HP10, I think it is the most powerful at 225 lumens. My Fenix LD20 is only 180 lumens. After the bad review I read, it made me think about it.

leaftye
02-23-2010, 21:42
J.L. I just posted a bunch of pictures in the Gallery:
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/browseimages.php?c=697

Look at that hinge. It's basically a piano hinge. There's not much you can do to make that hinge stronger except to make it entirely out of metal.

I believe the HP10 is the brightest headlamp you can get that runs on AA/AAA batteries. There may be some brighter lights, but I think they're all for cycling and use a larger lithium battery that would be mounted on the bike.

Mountain Wildman
02-23-2010, 22:08
J.L. I just posted a bunch of pictures in the Gallery:
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/browseimages.php?c=697

Look at that hinge. It's basically a piano hinge. There's not much you can do to make that hinge stronger except to make it entirely out of metal.

I believe the HP10 is the brightest headlamp you can get that runs on AA/AAA batteries. There may be some brighter lights, but I think they're all for cycling and use a larger lithium battery that would be mounted on the bike.

Wow, Those are great pics!
And as powerful as it is you could probably blind a 747 pilot just by looking up at the sky as he flys overhead. It looks pretty well made, Even the plastic componenets look fairly substantial.
So you are happy with it?
If you lost it would you buy the HP10 again?

leaftye
02-24-2010, 00:42
Haha, I've thought about the signal thing before. It does get pretty bright.

Yeah, I'm really happy with it. It seems to fit well under a beanie, which I also wear all night. I believe my head helmet size is 58 cm if that helps. If I simply lost it, I'd buy another one. If I switched to something else, it's because I wanted to truly go ultralight by switching to a coinlight....but I have much better places to drop weight, like my waist, and pack. I'm definitely carrying it for the first thousand miles of the PCT this year.

One thing I may do is put in good lithium batteries because those weigh about 2/3rd the weight of other batteries, and there are lithiums that are supposed to work well with low discharge devices like this headlamp.

Mountain Wildman
02-24-2010, 00:52
Haha, I've thought about the signal thing before. It does get pretty bright.

Yeah, I'm really happy with it. It seems to fit well under a beanie, which I also wear all night. I believe my head helmet size is 58 cm if that helps. If I simply lost it, I'd buy another one. If I switched to something else, it's because I wanted to truly go ultralight by switching to a coinlight....but I have much better places to drop weight, like my waist, and pack. I'm definitely carrying it for the first thousand miles of the PCT this year.

One thing I may do is put in good lithium batteries because those weigh about 2/3rd the weight of other batteries, and there are lithiums that are supposed to work well with low discharge devices like this headlamp.

Thanks Leaftye,
I measured my head and I am at 57cm, Just about the same size.
I think I may go with the HP10, It seems to be a good compromise between the other powerhouse headlamps. Decent battery life, Best lumens, Brighter than the HL 20, Mammut is only 80 lumens, And the Princeton Tec Apex is so heavy at 10 ounces. And at 65 bucks I could still afford to buy a 1 or 2 ounce ultralight headlamp if I want, 1 or 2 ounces more in my pack would be un-noticable.

skinewmexico
02-24-2010, 01:04
I just got a Black Diamond I saw on SAC for $12. It's worked great for a couple of night hikes, and is still too bright to read with. My first set of batteries has lasted a year.

Dogwood
02-24-2010, 01:12
For the AT you can do just fine with an Everready 3 AAA battery 2 LED headlamp 1 clear light brightness and 1 red night vision light. I got mine at Wally World for $9.88. The plastic tab that holds the battery cover on can break if you force it. Wally World has given me a new one free of charge twice in the last 5 yrs. It's not WP. The lithium batteries I put in it last a long time for me. It's certainly bright enough night hiking. I have 3 headlamps. I continually reach for this cheap simple no frills model brand amd model time and again for 3 season thru-hiking in the states.

Brightness levels are often overhyped for night hiking. If you only buy one headlamp than by all means get a good one, but it seems you are starting a collection.

Unless I was spelunking, hiking Mt Everest, or in some remote area like S America, Canada, or backwoods Alaska and ABSOLUTELY NEEDED additional features or headlamp characteristics I find it is not needed to drop $40 or more on a headlamp.

Mountain Wildman
02-24-2010, 01:37
For the AT you can do just fine with an Everready 3 AAA battery 2 LED headlamp 1 clear light brightness and 1 red night vision light. I got mine at Wally World for $9.88. The plastic tab that holds the battery cover on can break if you force it. Wally World has given me a new one free of charge twice in the last 5 yrs. It's not WP. The lithium batteries I put in it last a long time for me. It's certainly bright enough night hiking. I have 3 headlamps. I continually reach for this cheap simple no frills model brand amd model time and again for 3 season thru-hiking in the states.

Brightness levels are often overhyped for night hiking. If you only buy one headlamp than by all means get a good one, but it seems you are starting a collection.

Unless I was spelunking, hiking Mt Everest, or in some remote area like S America, Canada, or backwoods Alaska and ABSOLUTELY NEEDED additional features or headlamp characteristics I find it is not needed to drop $40 or more on a headlamp.

I hear ya,
I will probably pick one of the cheapies up, A buddy of mine has one and he used it up on the Job site for inspections.
All of my hiking this year will be done fairly close to home. I am fortunate enough to live in an A.T. Trail town and I can pretty much see the trail from my kitchen window. I have been told and have read that the White Mountains are the toughest ones on the whole A.T. I have purchased only favorably reviewed top quality gear, Not because I am wealthy but because I don't like to skimp on anything that could mean the difference between life and death. People die regularly on Mount Washington it seems and I feel with the right gear, I will live to hike another day!!

trailangelbronco
02-24-2010, 01:45
I am not a AT thru hiker,but hike for extended days at a time, and have section hiked most of New England.

I carry the cheapest Princeton Tec model, and have hardly ever used it. The mountains that I cover out west are usually 8000-10,000 ft and I'm usually so freakin tired at night that I'm asleep either at or before sundown. Many freinds of mine have hiked the AT or the PCT and like me, stick the headlamp in their pack pocket and forget it, or use it to read or dig around the tent at night.

Trailbender
02-25-2010, 09:23
I use this one. I got a hard rainstorm hiking at night at Land Between the Lakes, and my headlamp crapped out. Waterproof/resistance is important to me in a headlamp now.

http://www.pelican.com/lights_detail.php?recordID=2610

Haven't used this one in a rainstorm yet, but it is good so far. I use lithium batteries in it.

superman
02-25-2010, 10:04
What do you plan on needing your headlamp for? Intended use will be the most important factor.

Eggzakly. Tree Banger stopped at my tent about midnight one time and shared some of his hiking wine with me as we chatted. I guess that routine didn't work for him. I heard he gave up night hiking / night drinking. Hiking all day was enough for me. The only thing I need a light for is to go out to pee. I carried a little one bulb photon light. I'm going to put a new battery in it and carry the same light on this thru hike.

verber
02-25-2010, 16:59
Yeah, I was considering the HP10, I think it is the most powerful at 225 lumens. My Fenix LD20 is only 180 lumens. After the bad review I read, it made me think about it.

Have you found that 180 lumens isn't enough? I have used the predecessor of the LD10 (half the power) and never had a problem. Even when way finding cross country I found that 100 lumen bulb with a reasonable reflector was plenty of light for night hiking. When I am on a trail I typically need much less light.

The HP10 is one of the brightest headlights that uses AA batteries. There are headlights that are brighter with custom belt packs like the Petzl Ultra Belt Headlamp, or handheld flashlights that use standard AA batteries that put out 700 lumens like the iTP A6. But these are overkill for backpacking.

--Mark

Jester2000
02-25-2010, 17:29
Eggzakly. Tree Banger stopped at my tent about midnight one time and shared some of his hiking wine with me as we chatted. I guess that routine didn't work for him. I heard he gave up night hiking / night drinking. Hiking all day was enough for me. The only thing I need a light for is to go out to pee. I carried a little one bulb photon light. I'm going to put a new battery in it and carry the same light on this thru hike.

Yeah, that's the thing. If you're not going to be nighthiking, most headlamps seem to be overkill. Buy a photon or the lightest thing you can get that will strap to your head or cap.

Despite the possibility that it may be true that "brightness levels are often overhyped for night hiking," I prefer a bright light that can throw it a distance. It's nice to hike on full moons without a headlamp (and I do). And while on the Long Trail, Funkee and I used to play a game where we'd see how far into the night we could go without taking out our headlamps. Sooner or later, in the woods of Vermont, we would. I carry a bright light because I don't want conditions to dictate overmuch what I can and can't do, just like in the daytime.

Mountain Wildman
02-25-2010, 17:57
It is not in my plans to hike at night, May have to from time to time since things don't always go as planned. I would most likely use it for the night time bathroom break and reading before bed. My motto has always been "I would rather have more than I need and not need it than need it and not have it. I may only use high lumens once or twice but if I buy the more powerful light, I have it whether or not I need it.
You all give great advise and that is why I posted this and why I seem to spend my whole day reading the posts on this site. I have learned a lot and feel much better prepared thanks to all of you. I have returned gear because it was to heavy thanks to this site and every piece of gear I buy I do my best to buy the lightest I can regardless of price. I still however make choices from time to time that I know would get me bashed here by the Ultralight crowd. I respect the Ultralight method, But you really have to know what you are doing to carry a 5 or 10 pound total pack weight.
I may get there some day but for now I purchased every thing that caught my eye and I will shake it down once winter breaks up here. We are getting hit pretty good today with snow in the Berlin/Gorham area. Once again though, I thank everyone for your help and opinions, And if I actually make it on my Thru-Hike of the A.T. next year it will be because of all of you!!! Much Respect!!!

Jester2000
02-25-2010, 18:37
It is not in my plans to hike at night, May have to from time to time since things don't always go as planned. I would most likely use it for the night time bathroom break and reading before bed. My motto has always been "I would rather have more than I need and not need it than need it and not have it. I may only use high lumens once or twice but if I buy the more powerful light, I have it whether or not I need it.
You all give great advise and that is why I posted this and why I seem to spend my whole day reading the posts on this site. I have learned a lot and feel much better prepared thanks to all of you. I have returned gear because it was to heavy thanks to this site and every piece of gear I buy I do my best to buy the lightest I can regardless of price. I still however make choices from time to time that I know would get me bashed here by the Ultralight crowd. I respect the Ultralight method, But you really have to know what you are doing to carry a 5 or 10 pound total pack weight.
I may get there some day but for now I purchased every thing that caught my eye and I will shake it down once winter breaks up here. We are getting hit pretty good today with snow in the Berlin/Gorham area. Once again though, I thank everyone for your help and opinions, And if I actually make it on my Thru-Hike of the A.T. next year it will be because of all of you!!! Much Respect!!!

Nope. It'll be because of your attitude. You've got it down.

leaftye
02-25-2010, 20:14
Yeah, that's the thing. If you're not going to be nighthiking, most headlamps seem to be overkill. Buy a photon or the lightest thing you can get that will strap to your head or cap.

Despite the possibility that it may be true that "brightness levels are often overhyped for night hiking," I prefer a bright light that can throw it a distance. It's nice to hike on full moons without a headlamp (and I do). And while on the Long Trail, Funkee and I used to play a game where we'd see how far into the night we could go without taking out our headlamps. Sooner or later, in the woods of Vermont, we would. I carry a bright light because I don't want conditions to dictate overmuch what I can and can't do, just like in the daytime.

Yeah, sometimes the moon will allow night hiking without additional lighting. Unfortunately there will be little to no moon when I expect to do my longest night hike. That's something I checked before making my decision to buy such a bright headlamp. The hike is also in the desert, so there's a chance there may be snakes and you can damn well bet if I hear one rattle that night, my headlamp will be on or near max power for the rest of the night hike.

tuswm
02-27-2010, 14:52
I have a collection of head lamps and they all work. My old favorite was a 2 head lamps + batterys I got at home depot. Then I found this on the ground....
http://www.petzl.com/en/outdoor/tactikka-series/tactikka-xp

small
light
3AAA
colored LED that tells you battery level
spot light/wide angle
The lamp will blink when batteries are getting low

99% of the time I keep it on low lite/ wide angle
But the feature that makes this lamp for me is that even with gloves on in 1 second you can switch to spot light and hit the second botton (boost mode). This is great for finding blazes on trees well over 100 feet away.

YMMV

Mountain Wildman
02-27-2010, 15:00
I have a collection of head lamps and they all work. My old favorite was a 2 head lamps + batterys I got at home depot. Then I found this on the ground....
http://www.petzl.com/en/outdoor/tactikka-series/tactikka-xp

small
light
3AAA
colored LED that tells you battery level
spot light/wide angle
The lamp will blink when batteries are getting low

99% of the time I keep it on low lite/ wide angle
But the feature that makes this lamp for me is that even with gloves on in 1 second you can switch to spot light and hit the second botton (boost mode). This is great for finding blazes on trees well over 100 feet away.

YMMV

I looked at that one, just wasn't sure about keeping track of those little plastic lenses.

tuswm
02-27-2010, 16:20
Well it has a clip on the side, I kept the red on in there. I never bothered with any other color. Then after a while just left that at home too. I never bother changing the colors.

Its all about the spot lite and boost function great for finding things in the dark like white blazes that are old faded and far apart. A lot of the other stuff is just gimmicks like different colors, color coated battery lever led, flashing the lite itself when battery gets low.

Also mine has a black strap and red body so you can get them in different color.

I have at least 8 or 10 different head lamps for backpacking at mountain bike racing. This is by far my favorite for hiking but my second choice was a 2 pack with battery's from home depot for 5 bucks.

I have noticed that many head lamps solve the problem of wide angle vs spot light by using multiple LEDs and it works and I always thought it was fine, i never knew any better. I would compare that to driving down a country road at night in the rain and wanting to see better. The multi LED Head lamps are like turning on the fog lights. The focused lenser is like turning the brights/ high beams on. Yea the regular light work and the fogs help you see a little better but turning on the brights just helps you see A LOT better.

you can test this out at the store even in the day light by shinning different head lamps at something reflective from far away.

I mean They all work but this is my favorite that Ive tried. Good luck.

Mountain Wildman
02-27-2010, 16:26
Well it has a clip on the side, I kept the red on in there. I never bothered with any other color. Then after a while just left that at home too. I never bother changing the colors.

Its all about the spot lite and boost function great for finding things in the dark like white blazes that are old faded and far apart. A lot of the other stuff is just gimmicks like different colors, color coated battery lever led, flashing the lite itself when battery gets low.

Also mine has a black strap and red body so you can get them in different color.

I have at least 8 or 10 different head lamps for backpacking at mountain bike racing. This is by far my favorite for hiking but my second choice was a 2 pack with battery's from home depot for 5 bucks.

I have noticed that many head lamps solve the problem of wide angle vs spot light by using multiple LEDs and it works and I always thought it was fine, i never knew any better. I would compare that to driving down a country road at night in the rain and wanting to see better. The multi LED Head lamps are like turning on the fog lights. The focused lenser is like turning the brights/ high beams on. Yea the regular light work and the fogs help you see a little better but turning on the brights just helps you see A LOT better.

you can test this out at the store even in the day light by shinning different head lamps at something reflective from far away.

I mean They all work but this is my favorite that Ive tried. Good luck.

I may take a closer look at that Petzyl as a backup.
I already ordered a Fenix HP10, Attracted to the 225 Lumens.
Was thinking about a lighter unit for around camp and reading.
I bought a good tent and don't plan on using shelters.

tuswm
03-01-2010, 02:54
you will have NO problem with night hiking using that light.

Wags
03-15-2010, 00:56
i use this with a red lens

http://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/shop/product_Petzl-Zipka-Plus-2-Headlamp_10090323____?cm_mmc=PPC-_-GoogleProductAds-_-na-_-Petzl-Zipka-Plus-2-Headlamp&ad_id=GoogleProductAds

it's plenty for me on the AT. no really crazy night hiking. some wake ups at 4am and hiking out in the dark, and 1 crazy time i got stuck out in a snowstorm and hiked into the night. i like the strap a lot

jrwiesz
03-15-2010, 01:56
Petzl e-lite. :sun

Mags
03-15-2010, 10:18
I've become a big fan of the Wally World headlamp (3 LED Energizer model). Not only is it $12..it comes with batteries!

The red LED is esp useful for night hiking (when I need to look at a map, pull something out of my pack, etc) when I do not want to ruin my night vision. I have also found the red LED useful for hut trips when I do not want to wake up people. The headlamp has become my go-to headlamp. Use it for night hikes all the time (I love night hiking!). I always have it stashed in my pack.

When I am doing longer backpacking trips or even long weekend hikes, I like this one (http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=coastal+cutlery+headlamp&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=2731870200524379253&ei=IEGeS8y8E5OeswPf4425CQ&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CA0Q8wIwAA#ps-sellers) that is sold under several different names in Lowes, Home Depot, Target, etc. It is 1.5 oz, runs on a single AAA battery and good enough for at night and an emergency night hike.

I used to use a Photon II, but found it gets 'wonky' over time. I also like the fact that I can find a AAA battery pretty much anywhere.

In the end, though, it is just a headlamp. Let's be honest..if you are hiking all day, in the end you are using it for going to the bathroom, writing in your journal and maybe using it to check out "What the hell was that noise?" at 2am in the morning. :)

Any light will work in the end.

Don' sweat it.

Graywolf
04-28-2010, 18:31
I've become a big fan of the Wally World headlamp (3 LED Energizer model). Not only is it $12..it comes with batteries!

The red LED is esp useful for night hiking (when I need to look at a map, pull something out of my pack, etc) when I do not want to ruin my night vision. I have also found the red LED useful for hut trips when I do not want to wake up people. The headlamp has become my go-to headlamp. Use it for night hikes all the time (I love night hiking!). I always have it stashed in my pack.

When I am doing longer backpacking trips or even long weekend hikes, I like this one (http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=coastal+cutlery+headlamp&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=2731870200524379253&ei=IEGeS8y8E5OeswPf4425CQ&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CA0Q8wIwAA#ps-sellers) that is sold under several different names in Lowes, Home Depot, Target, etc. It is 1.5 oz, runs on a single AAA battery and good enough for at night and an emergency night hike.

I used to use a Photon II, but found it gets 'wonky' over time. I also like the fact that I can find a AAA battery pretty much anywhere.

In the end, though, it is just a headlamp. Let's be honest..if you are hiking all day, in the end you are using it for going to the bathroom, writing in your journal and maybe using it to check out "What the hell was that noise?" at 2am in the morning. :)

Any light will work in the end.

Don' sweat it.

Hey Mags, I use this same lamp..Pretty usefull. I also use it for Astronomy when looking through the telescope so I dont lose my night vision..Very nice light..

Mags
04-29-2010, 01:41
Hey Mags, I use this same lamp..Pretty usefull. I also use it for Astronomy when looking through the telescope so I dont lose my night vision..Very nice light..

THey sells the Energizer 3 LED model in Target now, too. Except now it $10 with batteries!

It is a great deal for a fairly light, all purpose headlamp. The red LED is what really makes it useful for me personally.

SunnyWalker
04-29-2010, 21:36
For At I would use my Petzl. But If I was purchasing one again I'd just get . . . (now don't everyone crucify me) a Walmart headlamp. Why: I found I did not do any night hikes, used it not very much, mostly in tent. So save the money, spend it elsewhere. This just my opinion. They are all opinions.

Slo-go'en
04-29-2010, 23:05
I just swapped out 2 of the 4 white LEDs in my Everyready headlamp for ultrabright green ones and I like it. Now I have red, green, white and white/green light options. Thinking about changing the last 2 white ones to green also, since I bought 5 of the green LEDs. Got about another week to decide..

Mountain Wildman
04-29-2010, 23:08
I ended up buying the Princeton Tec Remix.
One super bright led and 3 green.
I read somewhere that the green led lights are more energy efficient.

Cloudynesz
10-17-2011, 13:17
I like Black Diamond, I found it was very hard when loading batteries on a princeton tec headlamps.

Tinker
10-17-2011, 13:47
I've been using a Princeton Tec Matrix for the past three years and haven't needed anything more. I like the PT products because they're watertight. I've had problems with some old Black Diamond products in that regard, but I'm not up on what they offer currently.

earlyriser26
10-17-2011, 14:38
I use a Petzel e-lite. If I was going to be doing serious night hiking I would go with something brighter, but generally not needed. I can always use one of my NiteRider biking lights that but out 300 -500 lumens if needed.

kanga
10-17-2011, 15:15
mountain wildman, you should check out zebralight.

shelb
10-19-2011, 23:17
The red lense is a must